Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon 13:06 - Jul 21 with 18285 viewsNorthernr

Annual big sit with the QPR manager which as ever you can read for free here...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/60488

Or listen by subscribing to any of our Patreon tiers, lowest one is as little as £2.50 a month and is the only thing keeping this site and AKUTRs going at the moment...

https://www.patreon.com/LoftForWords

This post has been edited by an administrator
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 13:28 - Jul 21 with 8188 viewsE15Hoop

I'll go first, just to get "me " out of the way on this, and because I suspect there may be one or two people bracing themselves for my supposedly over the top reaction, gushing with praise etc etc.

In fact, all I'm going to say on this, Clive, is I thought you got some very direct, clear answers to some very, direct clear questions, and I hope you left there feeling that as well, and not wishing you'd come back on this, that or the other point he made.
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 13:51 - Jul 21 with 8061 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Hard not to love the man, but I still don't know what to make of him.

There are so many times where I love his positivity, then there are times where he sounds so naive that I end up inwardly sighing "Noooooo, don't say that out loud....".

There are times where he has me sold, then he'll say something ridiculous like "If we’re winning I don’t think it matters how we play people will be appreciative of that." and, again, I think he's being incredibly naive.

I do know that I wish him well, and admire him as a person.
But I also know that none of that will save him should things go south.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 13:51 - Jul 21 with 8052 viewsBrianMcCarthy

P.S. Great interview, Clive. I think you hit every question I could think of. Really appreciated.

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 13:54 - Jul 21 with 8040 viewsNorthernr

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 13:51 - Jul 21 by BrianMcCarthy

P.S. Great interview, Clive. I think you hit every question I could think of. Really appreciated.

As usual a couple on the list I didn't ask and regretted - which younger players he likes the look of, for instance, because it's pretty clear from the team on the board behind him that we're going to be relying on four or five of them as it stands. But then when I asked Honest Mick that last week he delivered a full, throaty rimjob to Arkell Jude Boyd and, well, that went well didn't it?
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 14:22 - Jul 21 with 7859 viewstoboboly

Great read and thank you for doing this. I would love to play for him, just a shame so many of our current lot don't look like they would.

Most worrying for me is his plea for patience with the players at home. If they are gonna give everything then they will get patience, however if they are like Dozzell then unsurprisingly everyone is gonna be royally pi$$ed off as they should be.

If you get another interview with him then my opinion of the Haka was it was great, behind closed doors, I doubt it was him that wanted it splashed all over the socials but doing so is what created so many issues.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 14:22 - Jul 21 with 7858 viewsdaveB

As ever he speaks so well and thought he answered some tough questions quite well.
The Beale one a year ago felt more exciting about where we were going but this one had less bullshit in that i think will stand up in a few months time.

Much like Holloway I really want him to do well, comes across as someone who genuinely wants to be here and loves the club but I do have more than a few doubts. I really hope he proves me wrong though
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 14:24 - Jul 21 with 7847 views89_50

I always like these manager pieces.

Like him or not, buy into him to write him off as naïve, Gaz at least has some conviction.

Quite literally laughed out loud at this answer:

'There was Nico Hamalainen, the enigma that he is. I don’t know, every manager has said they come in, he shines, and then nobody wants him. I said he’s not even coming in for me, let’s just cut ties with Nico and get a left back in.'
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 15:19 - Jul 21 with 7536 viewshighleverhoopL

Great interview. The difficulty of managing a bunch of young footballers in this day and age shines through. I wish he wouldn't sound so starstruck eg re Begovich. It sounds as if more well known but elderly players are coming in...
Login to get fewer ads

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 15:57 - Jul 21 with 7321 viewsNW5Hoop

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 15:19 - Jul 21 by highleverhoopL

Great interview. The difficulty of managing a bunch of young footballers in this day and age shines through. I wish he wouldn't sound so starstruck eg re Begovich. It sounds as if more well known but elderly players are coming in...

He's got a rock album coming out, and I was asked if I would do an onstage interview with him for it this month. Sadly, they would only pay me 50 quid, and it just wasn't worth it to have to a) listen to his album several times b) talk to him about it and c) only be allowed five minutes to ask about QPR.
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:00 - Jul 21 with 7280 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 14:24 - Jul 21 by 89_50

I always like these manager pieces.

Like him or not, buy into him to write him off as naïve, Gaz at least has some conviction.

Quite literally laughed out loud at this answer:

'There was Nico Hamalainen, the enigma that he is. I don’t know, every manager has said they come in, he shines, and then nobody wants him. I said he’s not even coming in for me, let’s just cut ties with Nico and get a left back in.'

That comment cracked me up as well, however the next line is damning of the club -
The only other left back at the club was in the U14s.

That is shocking.

Hope he does well, but just dont want hoof ball. Great interview by the way.
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:04 - Jul 21 with 7242 viewsSAPilgrim

Great interview clive, thanks for it. God help me but I have a creeping sense of optimism. Will wait for the results to start casting dice but as Month Python taught us even the man on the cross can look on the bright side of things…
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:18 - Jul 21 with 7155 viewsngbqpr

Thanks for asking all the q's most of us would have asked, and for being so direct - much appreciated.

I'm still not optimistic / excited - but equally, don't think doom and relegation gloom are inevitable.

As Dave B says - Beale got us more excited, but this is more the dose of realism we probably need.

Sounds like one more out; and a couple of old lags in.

Yeh the Begovic bit made me wince - reminded me of Tony Fernandes and H**hes.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:28 - Jul 21 with 7081 viewsstantheman10

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:18 - Jul 21 by ngbqpr

Thanks for asking all the q's most of us would have asked, and for being so direct - much appreciated.

I'm still not optimistic / excited - but equally, don't think doom and relegation gloom are inevitable.

As Dave B says - Beale got us more excited, but this is more the dose of realism we probably need.

Sounds like one more out; and a couple of old lags in.

Yeh the Begovic bit made me wince - reminded me of Tony Fernandes and H**hes.

I would hope GA knows a bit more about football than TF!
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:34 - Jul 21 with 7036 viewsstevec

I like Ainsworth but unless he gets some old school 30 plus players in, this lot will sink him.
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:35 - Jul 21 with 7041 views1JD

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:00 - Jul 21 by Wilkinswatercarrier

That comment cracked me up as well, however the next line is damning of the club -
The only other left back at the club was in the U14s.

That is shocking.

Hope he does well, but just dont want hoof ball. Great interview by the way.

At the time of Ainsworth joining the club we had the following left backs at the club in both the 21s and 18s

U21s
1. Isaac Piblado - 20

U18s
2. Sam Bagan - 18
3. Jake Leahy - 17
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:38 - Jul 21 with 7012 viewsNorthernr

Yeh I think tbf to him, and it probably comes across on the audio, he was exaggerating that in a comic fashion rather than literally watching the u14s.
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:44 - Jul 21 with 6939 viewsBostonR

Sounds like he wants a core groups of good/decent 16/18 players, hence the focus on fitness and improving injuries and the rest will be youth. No cup runs then.
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:57 - Jul 21 with 6852 views1JD

There is some good stuff in there, but I find it hard to buy into his self-styled mr positive persona as he seems to he overly negative at times. He wins me over and then loses it with some head-scratching comments.

Tough championship. Tough job. Tough club to run. Yikes. If he sets the bar any lower then he might even be able to strategically position relegation as a success!

Can we have a sweepstake on how many times he is going to say the word “tough” over the course of the season?
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 17:15 - Jul 21 with 6755 viewsderbyhoop

A dose of realism.

Of course, it's going to be tough. What should happen is that whoever gets on the pitch will give his all. I don't think you'd have said that last season.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 17:24 - Jul 21 with 6714 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:57 - Jul 21 by 1JD

There is some good stuff in there, but I find it hard to buy into his self-styled mr positive persona as he seems to he overly negative at times. He wins me over and then loses it with some head-scratching comments.

Tough championship. Tough job. Tough club to run. Yikes. If he sets the bar any lower then he might even be able to strategically position relegation as a success!

Can we have a sweepstake on how many times he is going to say the word “tough” over the course of the season?

This is a genuine concern - to me at least - Ainsworth's tendency to re-imagine mediocity or indeed failure as a success.

"But I want to celebrate what Mick Beale, Neil Critchley, Paul Hall and myself did, nobody is better than anybody else in that group, and we kept QPR in the Championship which should be celebrated because it was a tough season."

There is absolutely no way that anyone connected with Rangers started last season thinking that staying up should be celebrated.

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 17:31 - Jul 21 with 6681 viewsCateLeBonR

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 16:57 - Jul 21 by 1JD

I think you have to remember that he doesn’t think the same way as us. His last manager job lasted 10 years and I thought it was very telling when he said “I do a big presentation to the boys each season”. The emphasis on “each season”.

To him he is just at the beginning of his tenure and I think you’ll find that the longer he’s in the job the less he’ll need to say a lot of the stuff that grates a bit. We on the other hand have had four managers in a year. It’s a different mindset.
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 17:41 - Jul 21 with 6614 viewsdannyblue

Clive - the two names he expects in, which I assume he told you off the record - Have they already been linked? Will they be a surprise?

And any clues about who’s out?

On the Hakka he said look who’s not involved or taking it seriously. Dieng and Willock were not….(laird seemed to be loving it!).

To echo other comments the fact that his ambition is to match or exceed last season’s place is chastening. Targeted underdog mentality, and there’s inferiority complex.
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 18:19 - Jul 21 with 6445 viewsNorthernr

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 17:41 - Jul 21 by dannyblue

Clive - the two names he expects in, which I assume he told you off the record - Have they already been linked? Will they be a surprise?

And any clues about who’s out?

On the Hakka he said look who’s not involved or taking it seriously. Dieng and Willock were not….(laird seemed to be loving it!).

To echo other comments the fact that his ambition is to match or exceed last season’s place is chastening. Targeted underdog mentality, and there’s inferiority complex.

Mate if I answered that I wouldn’t get invited back would I? Sorry. Pretty obvious they want a CB, CM as priority. A RB if they can. And it’ll be dykes up front with whatever they can get on loan towards the end of the window to back him up.
Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 18:20 - Jul 21 with 6440 viewsE17hoop

The thing which stands out for me is how GA recognises the importance of developing a team ethic built on 16 individuals. I absolutely understand why he's raving about Begovic - he's probably not much better than Dieng but brings a character and leadership traits to a group who are sorely lacking direction.

His description of the team last year was spot on - you KNOW players were bad mouthing the management, either intentionally or not, and GA's comment about everyone knowing why a player wasn't picked and what they need to do to improve to be picked makes a much more open and honest culture.

As I said last season, the culture is defined by the worst behaviour the organisation accepts and GA has raised that bar.

THAT is why he did the haka. THAT is why he was happy to shove loans back.

I thought it was positive - for the most part - and thanks for offering up robust questions Clive.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: Championship Playoffs - who's going up?

Gareth Ainsworth – Patreon on 18:22 - Jul 21 with 6432 viewsswisscottage

Thanks Clive..Well worth the Patreon sub to listen to.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024