Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Insurance claim? 07:32 - Sep 22 with 1303 viewssoops

Seeking a little advice from this knowledgeable community please.
I noticed last week that my front porch is starting to drop on one side - the supporting wooden beams are splitting. I got a builder round pronto who has put scaffolding up and says he'll take the tiles off the pitched porch roof to reduce the weight, and see where we go then.
I had assumed it's just the pain in the arse / cost of home ownership but someone asked if I was going to claim on insurance. For those with knowledge in such things.... is it worth me trying the insurance company or would they say it's preventative maintenance and my responsibility? Or have I left it too late now the scaffolding's up?
Many thanks in advance!
Insurance claim? on 08:17 - Sep 22 with 1210 viewsstowmarketrange

The ball ache of claiming on the insurance might not be worth the hassle.Gone are the days when they just paid it all out with few questions asked.
Obviously if the repairs cost £1,000’s it might be worth trying,but every house policy you get for the next 5 years will be increased because you’ve had the cheek to actually try to claim on the policy.And it also depends on how much your excess is too.
We tried to claim on ours for the first time about 7 years ago because my son-in-law thought you could put cotton buds into a toilet with a mascerator in it,and it caused a flood through the ceiling.
We gave up in the end because they made it so hard to claim anything.
Insurance claim? on 08:29 - Sep 22 with 1183 viewsLblock

Impossible to say as it's very much dependent on each individual policy and what the causation for the claim is.
As noted above they are in the business of taking your money and not giving you theirs.

You may be covered for subsidence and if this is the root cause could claim.
If it's timbers rotten then they'll get out of that (I would imagine) by saying you've done a lack of PPM.

If it it was whacked by a delivery van.... and you didn't see it but have been told by a passer by they did who never left their details .... then that is most likely an acceptable claim.
Then all depends on what a loss adjustor says when / if they come out.

As for scaffold up that s no issue. You are mitigating a loss and taking immediate H&S action which most insurance companies would applaud you for (but only pay costs they consider reasonable)

In summary - no harm in checking policy / asking but weigh up the cost against the aggro and potential premium increases.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Insurance claim? on 08:40 - Sep 22 with 1162 viewssoops

Thanks guys - yeah, I thought as it was in the 'grey area zone' the chips would be stacked against me. Will have a chat with them to notify them and see if there's scope for a claim.
Insurance claim? on 09:12 - Sep 22 with 1136 viewsWokingR

Insurance claim? on 08:40 - Sep 22 by soops

Thanks guys - yeah, I thought as it was in the 'grey area zone' the chips would be stacked against me. Will have a chat with them to notify them and see if there's scope for a claim.

Basic rule of thumb is that if you can identify an incident that has caused the damage, then it should be covered, depending on the type of cover you have.
If the damage has happened of its own accord, through old age or wear and tear, then this won't be covered as an insurance policy is not a maintenance contract.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2023 9:12]
Insurance claim? on 10:11 - Sep 22 with 1060 viewswombat

Insurance claim? on 09:12 - Sep 22 by WokingR

Basic rule of thumb is that if you can identify an incident that has caused the damage, then it should be covered, depending on the type of cover you have.
If the damage has happened of its own accord, through old age or wear and tear, then this won't be covered as an insurance policy is not a maintenance contract.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2023 9:12]

how old is the property ? if its a new build and its within ten years of being built the #NHBC coverage should kick in

Poll: which is your favouite foot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024