Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our midfield… 19:14 - Dec 26 with 2273 viewsHammersmithR

is absolutely powder puff. They’re all so similar. Field, Dozzell, Colback and now Paal. All left footed. None of them drive forward with the ball. None of them play a forward pass. They don’t dominate a midfield and literally only pass it backwards or square. We are crying out for a number 8. The midfield is a big reason why we are so shite.
Our midfield… on 19:23 - Dec 26 with 2213 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

100% agree. Win the midfield battle, earn the right to play, and then you've got a chance.
This lot think they just have to turn up and the other side will let them do whatever they want. Been like it since the early days of Warburton.
Our midfield… on 19:27 - Dec 26 with 2188 viewsdutch

Completely agree. Goalkeeper rubbish. Defence terrible, forwards non existent, but the weakest part today was midfield, no drive, no link up play, no ability to beat a man, no creativity. Sideways is their default direction if going backwards is not on.

Truly useless every one of them today.
Our midfield… on 19:27 - Dec 26 with 2187 viewsHooparoo

Agree completely. Games are always won or lost in the midfield. Trouble is that we’re so crap, no self respecting CM would want to join us so we’re stuck with these powder puffs

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Our midfield… on 19:27 - Dec 26 with 2179 viewsParkRoyalR

Field when we have low possession looks the part, now we are hoping to become a more possession based side, he does'nt look as effective for obvious reasons.

Other than Field we have Dixon Bonner and possibly Chair & Larkeche who have the ability to play in Midfield.

Playing Dozzell and Paal in that midfield today was a risk too far.
Our midfield… on 19:41 - Dec 26 with 2120 viewsCateLeBonR

Disagree about Paal. The experiment didn't go well today but he's a good and clever player and he'll learn.

Luke Amos used to drive forward with the ball for a while but not sure he'd change us much. Without a club as far as I know.

A memorable number 8 performance against us this season was Cov's Jamie Allen. It shouldn't be that hard to find a player like Jamie Allen.
Our midfield… on 19:44 - Dec 26 with 2095 viewsbosh67

Field, Dozzell, Colback, Paal

I had high hopes for Colback because he has been excellent over the years but it looks like he is a crock.
Dozzell just doesn't seem to have a football brain at this level. Not sure what level he does. One amazing no look pass to release Gray two seasons ago is the sum total of ability to be a playmaker.
Field is a holding midfielder. He's never going to set much up.
Paal is a bit of an unknown quantity in midfield but again not a playmaker.

There is no defence splitiing passer, no forward thinking give it to me general, no player seeing two passes ahead.

As you say, that number 8 that takes the game by the scruff of the neck.
[Post edited 26 Dec 2023 19:44]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Our midfield… on 19:57 - Dec 26 with 2038 viewsVancouverHoop

Other than Field we have Dixon Bonner and possibly Chair & Larkeche who have the ability to play in Midfield.

Maybe Paal too, it's early doors though. Larkeche has potential for sure, but it seems as though he likes to hug the touchline a lot. I'm not sure why Chair can't be #8. He's maybe wasted on a left side that's becoming crowded with players with similar attributes.
Our midfield… on 21:41 - Dec 26 with 1866 viewspaulparker

Our midfield… on 19:41 - Dec 26 by CateLeBonR

Disagree about Paal. The experiment didn't go well today but he's a good and clever player and he'll learn.

Luke Amos used to drive forward with the ball for a while but not sure he'd change us much. Without a club as far as I know.

A memorable number 8 performance against us this season was Cov's Jamie Allen. It shouldn't be that hard to find a player like Jamie Allen.

I know things are bad but getting all mysty eyed over Luke Amos is going a bit to far , there’s a reason he doesn’t have a club
As regards to your last sentence I totally agree it shouldn't be hard to find a player like Jaime Allen but how many players have slipped our net the last 10 years whilst we go with a Dozzell or a Connor Washington for big money , the answer is to many and that’s one of the reasons we are in this mess

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Login to get fewer ads

Our midfield… on 01:35 - Dec 27 with 1661 viewsozexile

Our midfield… on 21:41 - Dec 26 by paulparker

I know things are bad but getting all mysty eyed over Luke Amos is going a bit to far , there’s a reason he doesn’t have a club
As regards to your last sentence I totally agree it shouldn't be hard to find a player like Jaime Allen but how many players have slipped our net the last 10 years whilst we go with a Dozzell or a Connor Washington for big money , the answer is to many and that’s one of the reasons we are in this mess

As someone pointed out we are crying out for an 8 who can offer something different. Just someone who can travel with the ball. The best way to break a static defence is to continually have players running at it because then the defence has to break ranks to close the man with the ball running.
Our midfield… on 02:15 - Dec 27 with 1615 viewsHooparoo

Our midfield… on 01:35 - Dec 27 by ozexile

As someone pointed out we are crying out for an 8 who can offer something different. Just someone who can travel with the ball. The best way to break a static defence is to continually have players running at it because then the defence has to break ranks to close the man with the ball running.

Tim Iroegbunam? He’s fit again apparently and still follows several of our squad on social media

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

Our midfield… on 02:20 - Dec 27 with 1606 viewsjoolsyp

Our midfield… on 02:15 - Dec 27 by Hooparoo

Tim Iroegbunam? He’s fit again apparently and still follows several of our squad on social media

We could do a lot worse if he’s fit, willing to come and we can afford him. Two decent loans - a goal-scoring 9 and a box to box 8 could give us a chance but it would have to be done early in Jan with our 4 games at home.
Our midfield… on 07:10 - Dec 27 with 1458 viewsNorthantsHoop

Good thread our problem other than a goalscorer has been this driving central midfield player that we lack. A Jamie Allen, Barry Bannon type player is something we have been lacking for years. If you can find a player who can drive the team forward through the middle of the park you are onto a winner. The great Gerry Francis in the 70s was a prime example of a number 8 who was the engine room of the team and a goalscorer to boot.
Our midfield… on 08:17 - Dec 27 with 1357 viewsParkRoyalR

Our midfield… on 07:10 - Dec 27 by NorthantsHoop

Good thread our problem other than a goalscorer has been this driving central midfield player that we lack. A Jamie Allen, Barry Bannon type player is something we have been lacking for years. If you can find a player who can drive the team forward through the middle of the park you are onto a winner. The great Gerry Francis in the 70s was a prime example of a number 8 who was the engine room of the team and a goalscorer to boot.

Chair can be this No 8 / Gerry Francis / Eze type player,

Yesterday showed how out wide in the final third he can be doubled-up on and easily nullified,

His goals to minutes played is very low compared to say Willock but the time he dropped deep yesterday he opened the pitch up,

Has to be worth a try as come end of January, continue as we are, we're relegated.
Our midfield… on 08:25 - Dec 27 with 1332 viewsgazza1

There are issues in midfield but the key problems are our forwards and the Manager is actively looking to get forward(s) into the Club in January......I expect us to improve in January but if your forwards are very poor then we will not be scoring many goals.
Our midfield… on 10:55 - Dec 27 with 1216 viewsmart_Goblin

Was driven mental yesterday with Field receiving the ball from any of the back 4 , with acres of space ahead of him with no Millwall player within 20 or 30 yards of him and he refused to open his body and go forward. Not once!!!!!
A little touch and backwards it goes . Maybe he isn’t getting a shout that he has all the time in the world but surely not every time !!!???

He just needs to open his body as he receives it but he doesn’t want to. There is no confidence there but that’s why we never get anywhere because there is zero bravery . It’s gutless . The only one who does it and wants to drive forward is EDB but even he didn’t do it against Southampton. Dozzell picked up some great positions in that game and got the ball to beat the first press and then played it square mostly .
If the midfield don’t start playing through the lines with purpose then we are completely doomed. It’s one of the many reasons we don’t create much, because we don’t often go and play in the opponents half. And the reason we do better against good footballing teams because they leave us the space to occasionally do it .

Of course a striker with the merest goal instinct is the biggest priority but a couple ball playing ball carrying goal scoring midfielders would also do wonders . I realise I’m asking a lot there but that’s what a recruitment team is for .
Also aware of the Iroenugnum rumours and see the appeal . I wasnt his biggest fan and watching for 10 mins at Old Trafford didn’t inspire me much either but he will get us up the pitch and he is better in front of goal than what we have so who knows.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 10:57]
Our midfield… on 10:57 - Dec 27 with 1197 viewsTheChef

Our midfield… on 08:17 - Dec 27 by ParkRoyalR

Yesterday showed how out wide in the final third he can be doubled-up on and easily nullified,

His goals to minutes played is very low compared to say Willock but the time he dropped deep yesterday he opened the pitch up,

Has to be worth a try as come end of January, continue as we are, we're relegated.

Yes I did wonder if it's worth moving Chair slightly further back in that midfield three - can only try.

I'd like to see more of EDB instead of Dozzell. Our win percentage when Dozzell starts must be non existent.

Have to admit I'm not keen on Iroegbunam coming back but we are fairly desperate - and he might do better under this manager.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Our midfield… on 11:22 - Dec 27 with 1159 viewsbosh67

Our midfield… on 10:57 - Dec 27 by TheChef

Yes I did wonder if it's worth moving Chair slightly further back in that midfield three - can only try.

I'd like to see more of EDB instead of Dozzell. Our win percentage when Dozzell starts must be non existent.

Have to admit I'm not keen on Iroegbunam coming back but we are fairly desperate - and he might do better under this manager.

My problem with Iroegbunam wasn't his skill, but his work rate, which was terrible.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Our midfield… on 11:26 - Dec 27 with 1154 viewsbosh67

Long shot but when Koli is fit again perhaps coaching him more as a number 8 would be an option? In the U18s he seems to be most comfortable and dangerous when he picks the ball up around the centre circle and then moving forward, rather than way up front.

Never knowingly right.

Our midfield… on 12:16 - Dec 27 with 1106 viewsNorthantsHoop

Our midfield… on 08:17 - Dec 27 by ParkRoyalR

Agree he needs to be more central, the better teams are able to attack through the centre putting pressure on central defenders. I always thought Chair could be better deployed centrally pick up the ball and drive forward from pur own half. I find he goes down blind alleys on the left. Eze was much more effective once Warburton ditched his role on left midfield.
Our midfield… on 12:33 - Dec 27 with 1069 viewstraininvain

Our midfield… on 10:57 - Dec 27 by TheChef

Iroegbunam came on as a sub for Villa last night away at Man Utd. I’d have him back as he can’t be any worse than Dozzell or playing a more advanced role alongside Chair but he’s highly rated by Villa and I suspect bigger clubs in our league will be in the mix if he’s allowed to leave on loan.
Our midfield… on 12:45 - Dec 27 with 1044 viewsderbyhoop

Field, Dozzell and Paal in midfield was an error. Too similar and too easy to play backwards and sideways.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024