Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. 16:08 - Jan 14 with 11562 viewsPetros

Terrific today. Finally penny has dropped, he is not a bench player, or an impact sub, or a winger. He is, potentially, a great centre forward, and should have been playing there all season, as first choice. Far too much made of his rawness and lack of composure. He is improving visibly with every game, is beginning to keep control of his temper without losing intensity, manages to get three or four shots on goal in every game (cf Dykes). Patience is required (as those who watched Les Ferdinand's first games for us will recall). Having a player with this much pace and strength is a rare asset, we must not waste it.
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 07:43 - Jan 15 with 1835 viewsdmm

The club does have an additional one year option of his contract. I'd have thought he'd be with us next year come what may.
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 08:28 - Jan 15 with 1761 viewsdaveB

He was good yesterday but really should have taken one of those chances, the one where Willock out him in was the chance at 0-0 but terrible touch

Problem is going to be when teams get wise to us looking to play ball in behind out wide for him as when teams tuck full back in and double up he struggles
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 08:41 - Jan 15 with 1722 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 08:28 - Jan 15 by daveB

He was good yesterday but really should have taken one of those chances, the one where Willock out him in was the chance at 0-0 but terrible touch

Problem is going to be when teams get wise to us looking to play ball in behind out wide for him as when teams tuck full back in and double up he struggles

I'll say this for SA, he gives it his all. Love that about him, but his lack of composure is something he has to address, and hopefully before the next game would be nice.

Sinclair Armstrong is not what's wrong at QPR!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 08:56 - Jan 15 with 1692 viewsGloucs_R

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 23:57 - Jan 14 by TheChef

He's improving but sadly he'll probably find his level with us in League One next season.

I think he will absolutely terrorise defences next year in League 1.

Which is probably where he should have spent most of this season on loan.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 08:57 - Jan 15 with 1696 viewsRs_Holy

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 08:28 - Jan 15 by daveB

true but its not a bad thing if Sinclair takes another defender out of the equation.

I think if his touch and finishing do not improve (surely they will...fingers crossed) he will only really be a League 1 player? I f we go down, and stays with us next season he could be a real asset.
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 09:18 - Jan 15 with 1657 viewsSpongeParr

As others have said, he played well but needs to calm down. Maybe the fact he went so long without scoring, he now gets over excited? Not sure, but he scored goals in the youth team so he knows where the goal is. Hopefully it'll come but I am not convinced.

The difference with him playing today though was having Dykes with him. Armstrong played poorly when he is the main man but he seemed to play better with Dykes behind him, helping with flick ons etc.

And I am not one for praising Dykes, but I thought he was good yesterday,
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 10:51 - Jan 15 with 1533 viewsrobith

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 09:18 - Jan 15 by SpongeParr

As others have said, he played well but needs to calm down. Maybe the fact he went so long without scoring, he now gets over excited? Not sure, but he scored goals in the youth team so he knows where the goal is. Hopefully it'll come but I am not convinced.

The difference with him playing today though was having Dykes with him. Armstrong played poorly when he is the main man but he seemed to play better with Dykes behind him, helping with flick ons etc.

I think he'd be calmer if there weren't so many other lads just dossing about. At one point Willock came up to him and told him to calm down and all I could think was "Yeah, calm down man, you're making us look bad. Just hide out on the wing like me"
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 11:15 - Jan 15 with 1471 viewsngbqpr

Armstrong and Smyth make things happen. Neither are world beaters, but they unsettle defences. Dykes looks better when either / both is playing. Chair makes things happen, Willock we know can do.

In a 4231, a front 4 from those 5 should at least create a good few chances, as we did yesterday.

Alas I think it'll all be too late for us to stay up...but Armstrong & Smyth would both be handy in League 1.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Login to get fewer ads

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:04 - Jan 15 with 1291 viewsStanisgod

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 09:18 - Jan 15 by SpongeParr

Dykes did ok, but if you watch the Sinclair shot which the goalie parried to Chair and the defender cleared, he is standing still on the edge of the box watching it all, and when the ball broke loose from the tackle he was beaten too it. Matt Upson actually pointed this out on the replay and was quite critical of Dykes lack of anticipation.
Welcome to our world Matt.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:07 - Jan 15 with 1285 viewsTheChef

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:04 - Jan 15 by Stanisgod

Dykes did ok, but if you watch the Sinclair shot which the goalie parried to Chair and the defender cleared, he is standing still on the edge of the box watching it all, and when the ball broke loose from the tackle he was beaten too it. Matt Upson actually pointed this out on the replay and was quite critical of Dykes lack of anticipation.

Yeah that was another one yesterday - had it been Begovic parrying it you know the ball would have fallen to an oppo player for an easy tap in.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:12 - Jan 15 with 1251 viewsParkRoyalR

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:04 - Jan 15 by Stanisgod

Agree but his anticipation for his goal was conversely very good.
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:14 - Jan 15 with 1241 viewsNorthernr

Little bit surprised about the effusive praise. The effort is there, he's physical and quick and effective because of that - certainly more than any of our other forwards. But we've lost the game because we missed four or five really brilliant chances, and he was responsible for three of those.
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:20 - Jan 15 with 1218 viewsgazza1

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:14 - Jan 15 by Northernr

Little bit surprised about the effusive praise. The effort is there, he's physical and quick and effective because of that - certainly more than any of our other forwards. But we've lost the game because we missed four or five really brilliant chances, and he was responsible for three of those.

Exactly that about Armstrong and why we lost....cant make my mind up about Watford's first though - should the keeper have done better??
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:22 - Jan 15 with 1211 viewsNorthernr

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:20 - Jan 15 by gazza1

Exactly that about Armstrong and why we lost....cant make my mind up about Watford's first though - should the keeper have done better??

Well you know I thought so at the time, but having watched the replay I'm not sure.
In general I don't think Begovic's footwork is good enough any more - on shots like that he basically collapses from whatever position he's standing in, doesn't push off and project himself any more - but it really was right in the corner. I'm not sure.
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:22 - Jan 15 with 1208 viewsGaryBannister86

He should have scored, absolutely, but there is a factor that his power and pace got him into two of those positions. He has the rare ability, like Les, to make aimless hoofs look like pinpoint assists.

Unlike Les, he can't find the net.
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:34 - Jan 15 with 1164 viewsgazza1

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:22 - Jan 15 by Northernr

Well you know I thought so at the time, but having watched the replay I'm not sure.
In general I don't think Begovic's footwork is good enough any more - on shots like that he basically collapses from whatever position he's standing in, doesn't push off and project himself any more - but it really was right in the corner. I'm not sure.

My thoughts too......just don't like to see a keeper beaten from that distance with a tame shot.
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:40 - Jan 15 with 1143 viewsdaveB

A few of those chances he made himself though, he needs to start scoring those chances but he looks our biggest chance of winning a game at the moment. I'd take him busting a gut and missing chances over Willock with his hands on his hips and gently jogging through the game
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:41 - Jan 15 with 1135 viewsrobith

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:40 - Jan 15 by daveB

A few of those chances he made himself though, he needs to start scoring those chances but he looks our biggest chance of winning a game at the moment. I'd take him busting a gut and missing chances over Willock with his hands on his hips and gently jogging through the game

Willock was absolutely maddening yesterday yet still people love to defend him, I simply do not understand it - the benefit of the doubt he is given over other players is wild
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:43 - Jan 15 with 1123 viewsmart_Goblin

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:34 - Jan 15 by gazza1

My thoughts too......just don't like to see a keeper beaten from that distance with a tame shot.

Yes I have to agree too. My gut reaction was he looked slow and cumbersome.

After watching the replays last night it really is curling right around him and squeaks into the corner. Not sure many would have saved it . But he looked someone had just chopped and redwood down
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:47 - Jan 15 with 1090 viewsdaveB

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:41 - Jan 15 by robith

Willock was absolutely maddening yesterday yet still people love to defend him, I simply do not understand it - the benefit of the doubt he is given over other players is wild

he was so poor yesterday, hiding most of the game, was surprised he stayed on the whole game
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 16:01 - Jan 15 with 1052 viewsrobith

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:47 - Jan 15 by daveB

he was so poor yesterday, hiding most of the game, was surprised he stayed on the whole game

Like, I hate to say things like this, but hiding is the only word to describe it. Full blown draft dodging. I only presume Chair was subbed because he actually did some running, admittedly because he decided to play left back for long tranches of the match
[Post edited 15 Jan 16:02]
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 16:03 - Jan 15 with 1038 viewsNorthernr

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 15:47 - Jan 15 by daveB

I think he's physically basically done. Fascinating to see what sort of club/deal he gets on his precious free tranfser next summer.
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 16:05 - Jan 15 with 1022 viewsfrancisbowles

I think the reaction is a bit over the top both in praise and adverse criticism.
The important thing is he is improving now, whereas for a while I wasn't so sure. He took his goal against Bournemouth very well but couldn't replicate that yesterday. It doesn't seem to matter who the defenders are they are scared of his pace and power. He has frightened Ipswich and Southampton, earlier in the season, and now Bournemouth and Watford in successive weeks.
He still has a lot of improving to go. His heading is only starting and needs a lot of work. His positional sense and tactical awareness were completely missing but are beginning to grow.
He is still plagued by cramping but is staying on the pitch and being effective for longer and more regularly.
Whilst he has been involved in first team matches quite a lot, he has still only completed 90 minutes on 3 occasions (including Bournemouth and Watford) and 75 minutes or more on 4 others.
Maybe Marti's regime is really helping him.
Whilst we all idolised Sir Les as a player, we tend to forget the chances he missed. I remember Trevor Brooking as co commentator on an England game, that Les was playing in, saying, 'if there is a weakness it's in the finishing'.
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 16:14 - Jan 15 with 974 viewsGaryBannister86

Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 16:05 - Jan 15 by francisbowles

I think the reaction is a bit over the top both in praise and adverse criticism.
The important thing is he is improving now, whereas for a while I wasn't so sure. He took his goal against Bournemouth very well but couldn't replicate that yesterday. It doesn't seem to matter who the defenders are they are scared of his pace and power. He has frightened Ipswich and Southampton, earlier in the season, and now Bournemouth and Watford in successive weeks.
He still has a lot of improving to go. His heading is only starting and needs a lot of work. His positional sense and tactical awareness were completely missing but are beginning to grow.
He is still plagued by cramping but is staying on the pitch and being effective for longer and more regularly.
Whilst he has been involved in first team matches quite a lot, he has still only completed 90 minutes on 3 occasions (including Bournemouth and Watford) and 75 minutes or more on 4 others.
Maybe Marti's regime is really helping him.
Whilst we all idolised Sir Les as a player, we tend to forget the chances he missed. I remember Trevor Brooking as co commentator on an England game, that Les was playing in, saying, 'if there is a weakness it's in the finishing'.

I must have watched a different Les Ferdinand. Are you kidding me?

And I don't forget the missed chances, especially the one at Old Trafford in the quarter final when it was 0-0.

But then I also remember the hundreds of goals he scored throughout his career, many of which he made entirely on his own. An aimless hoof down the line from Bardsley that he would turn into a goal.

Don't all strikers miss chances? And don't listen to the rubbish of the analysts of those days. If he played for QPR they had to have some sort of weakness. Yet moving to Newcastle - like Peacock - and they had suddenly "improved their game". Bullshine.

Not since someone on here said they didn't "get" Ray Wilkins have I been quite so astonished.
Sinclair Armstrong: a bright spot. on 16:14 - Jan 15 with 974 viewsNW5Hoop

He manages to make things happen in the final third, and it's been a minute since we had anyone who could do that, and he does it on his own, so everyone notices. The other thing to remember is his finishing is getting better – a year ago he wouldn't have been forcing the keeper to make saves, and now he is. Sooner or later more of them are going to start going over or under or to the side of the keeper. With Armstrong, there's the excitement of knowing something is going to happen, and people like that. Especially when there's nothing else to get excited about.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024