Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh language 23:55 - Feb 22 with 4717 viewsBoundy

Has anyone else noticed the not so subtle change in how recorded messages in large organisations such as the NHS or the council (Swansea) are now presented in Welsh first then followed in English ,considering the majority of the population's first language is English why has this change come about.Information on road signs /matrixs is also now becoming Welsh first and with at a cost

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh language on 08:54 - Feb 23 with 1418 viewsonehunglow

It’s been Heddlu Gogledd Cymru for years ,mun.
Helps theGogs when they ring police
This Swansea thing must be handy for those in Townhill,Penlan and St Thomas with them not being fluid in English
[Post edited 23 Feb 8:55]

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh language on 10:31 - Feb 23 with 1391 viewsBoundy

Welsh language on 08:54 - Feb 23 by onehunglow

It’s been Heddlu Gogledd Cymru for years ,mun.
Helps theGogs when they ring police
This Swansea thing must be handy for those in Townhill,Penlan and St Thomas with them not being fluid in English
[Post edited 23 Feb 8:55]

anchors away

Welsh language on 10:33 - Feb 23 with 1386 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 10:31 - Feb 23 by Boundy

anchors away

Lol

Welsh language on 10:46 - Feb 23 with 1376 viewsKilkennyjack

Chronically underfunded the welsh language.

75 Dance companies funded by the Arts Council England get £47 million per annum.
The welsh language annual funding is £43.6 by way of comparison.

Clearly huge strides being taken with extra provision for welsh language schooling - always over subscribed. About 16% of all the pupils.
And every child in wales should have a basic conversational ability in welsh by the time they leave school.

Why would anyone belittle such an ancient and beautiful language ?

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh language on 10:55 - Feb 23 with 1372 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Welsh language on 10:46 - Feb 23 by Kilkennyjack

75 Dance companies funded by the Arts Council England get £47 million per annum.

Clearly huge strides being taken with extra provision for welsh language schooling - always over subscribed. About 16% of all the pupils.
And every child in wales should have a basic conversational ability in welsh by the time they leave school.

I do hope the language survives but it absolutely baffles me how anybody can objectively describe it as beautiful when it always sounds like someone trying to cough up phlegm.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Welsh language on 12:11 - Feb 23 with 1342 viewsKilkennyjack

Welsh language on 10:55 - Feb 23 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

I do hope the language survives but it absolutely baffles me how anybody can objectively describe it as beautiful when it always sounds like someone trying to cough up phlegm.

Many people would call it beautiful.

When you only speak one language then it tends to reject anything else. Thats a shame as these people do miss out on whats around them. Ancient and of beauty.

Beware of the Risen People

Welsh language on 12:43 - Feb 23 with 1326 viewsonehunglow

I'd look out for Builth or Lifey
Welsh had never sounded beautiful to me especially north Welsh
Same applies to Dutch ,an affront to the ears really
Portuguese is however a beautiful language as are French or Italian

Welsh language on 12:52 - Feb 23 with 1326 viewsWingstandwood

What makes it even more hilarious is one lot speaks a different type of Welsh to another lot that speaks a more slang 'non grammatical' version.

I can always remember showing the bog standard text book (written in Aberystwyth ???) for 1970's/80' student learning called Siarad Cymraeg 2 to my gran, and it might as well have been written in Chinese!

You see Welsh speaking SW Wales strongholds like Hendy, Felindre and Craig Cefn Parc etc Welsh were often speaking a foreign Welsh dialect to what was written in school books.

FFS not only is Wales now recognised as an economically backward country with D- public services? But? Cannot even get a uniformed form of its 'second tongue' after English.

Argus!

Login to get fewer ads

Welsh language on 13:19 - Feb 23 with 1306 viewslifelong

Welsh language on 12:52 - Feb 23 by Wingstandwood

What makes it even more hilarious is one lot speaks a different type of Welsh to another lot that speaks a more slang 'non grammatical' version.

I can always remember showing the bog standard text book (written in Aberystwyth ???) for 1970's/80' student learning called Siarad Cymraeg 2 to my gran, and it might as well have been written in Chinese!

You see Welsh speaking SW Wales strongholds like Hendy, Felindre and Craig Cefn Parc etc Welsh were often speaking a foreign Welsh dialect to what was written in school books.

FFS not only is Wales now recognised as an economically backward country with D- public services? But? Cannot even get a uniformed form of its 'second tongue' after English.

Of course, the English language is perfectly spoken in the likes of Geordie, Scouse, Cornish, Brummie, Cockney etc. Why Aye, Hey Up Man.
Welsh language on 13:26 - Feb 23 with 1300 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

You don't get far on £43.60.

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Welsh language on 13:38 - Feb 23 with 1288 viewsWingstandwood

Welsh language on 13:19 - Feb 23 by lifelong

Of course, the English language is perfectly spoken in the likes of Geordie, Scouse, Cornish, Brummie, Cockney etc. Why Aye, Hey Up Man.

Oh the Welsh language is VASTLY worse than, believe me, they even have different words for different objects like for your simple everyday 'fork' just as one example

Argus!

Welsh language on 14:02 - Feb 23 with 1270 viewsWingstandwood

Welsh language on 13:38 - Feb 23 by Wingstandwood

Oh the Welsh language is VASTLY worse than, believe me, they even have different words for different objects like for your simple everyday 'fork' just as one example

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/fun-stuff/welsh-words-mean-same-totally-

Argus!

Welsh language on 14:22 - Feb 23 with 1257 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 12:52 - Feb 23 by Wingstandwood

The Coffis ( Caernarfon) have a different dialect to Bangor,not ten miles away .

Welsh language on 14:29 - Feb 23 with 1260 viewsWingstandwood

Welsh language on 14:22 - Feb 23 by onehunglow

The Coffis ( Caernarfon) have a different dialect to Bangor,not ten miles away .

Absolutely insanity innit! Surreal!

I know a Felindre guy (born and bred) who visited the Eisteddfod when it was held in Gorseinon a long while back who said (in English) that he didn't have a clue about what a lot of the 'outsiders' were saying.

Argus!

Welsh language on 14:54 - Feb 23 with 1251 viewsFlashberryjack

[Post edited 23 Feb 15:19]

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Welsh language on 15:00 - Feb 23 with 1232 viewsonehunglow

Welsh language on 14:29 - Feb 23 by Wingstandwood

Absolutely insanity innit! Surreal!

I know a Felindre guy (born and bred) who visited the Eisteddfod when it was held in Gorseinon a long while back who said (in English) that he didn't have a clue about what a lot of the 'outsiders' were saying.

I can speak some Welsh.
My father ,being a Carmarthen man and his sister only spoke Welsh until they were 14 when they lived in Llandyssul .
We were schooled in an English and home was English ,as my mum was a Sandfields girl and hated Welsh ( no offence) .
I asked my dad to teach me more welsh and he refused saying it was pointless and wouldn’t help me get on in life. I dropped welsh in school to do German with French and Latin.
I taught myself basic Spanish ,Portuguese and Italian as my life developed .
Those languages spoken by a native in full flow are virtually indecipherable unless you are resident there and interact . I’ve spent a fair bit of time in France and thought of myself as reasonably fluent ,proven to be warlocks. WhenI I was with my son at a rugby club in rural Aquitaine after a game and right in the middle of pyssed up French lads ,I understood very little . It s ok to speak a language but your ear has to be trained sufficiently to understand the replies .

I’ve lost my drift now

Welsh language on 15:08 - Feb 23 with 1231 viewsBoundy

Welsh language on 13:38 - Feb 23 by Wingstandwood

If there isn't a Welsh word then someone will be along shortly to invent one ,poti ping or tacsi anyone

Welsh language on 15:25 - Feb 23 with 1208 viewsWingstandwood

Welsh language on 14:54 - Feb 23 by Flashberryjack

[Post edited 23 Feb 15:19]

Argus!

Welsh language on 15:32 - Feb 23 with 1204 viewslifelong

Welsh language on 15:08 - Feb 23 by Boundy

If there isn't a Welsh word then someone will be along shortly to invent one ,poti ping or tacsi anyone

Cont is a good one.👍
Welsh language on 15:47 - Feb 23 with 1187 viewsWingstandwood

It's the plagiarism of ENGLISH words that I found really hilarious with my Hendy gran, a case of end English words with a few extra letters and "Bobs your uncle".

It had truly gotten to the stage where many were making it up as it was going along!

"Broadbandwch"?????

[Post edited 23 Feb 15:48]

Argus!

Welsh language on 16:41 - Feb 23 with 1138 viewsSullutaCreturned

Despite all their efforts the number of Welsh speakers is still falling.

That is not in any way derogatory to the Welsh language. From the WOL,

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-63860772

What is really interesting in that story is...

In 2011 562,000, or 19%, spoke it.

But after the figures were released First Minister Mark Drakeford ruled out making Welsh compulsory for all children, claiming it would set back the language.

During First Minister's Questions in the Senedd, he insisted this was not the way to securing a healthy future for the language.

"It will alienate people who are sympathetic to the Welsh language, it will set the language backwards," he said.

And yet Welsh has now been made compulsory in Welsh schools. Does Drakeford not know what he's doing?
Welsh language on 16:53 - Feb 23 with 1133 viewsJumpingJackFlash

Popti ping is a great after dinner anecdote but, of course, it's bollocks and an urban myth.
Welsh language on 16:57 - Feb 23 with 1130 viewsSullutaCreturned

Welsh language on 16:53 - Feb 23 by JumpingJackFlash

Popti ping is a great after dinner anecdote but, of course, it's bollocks and an urban myth.

Popty Microdon mun
Welsh language on 17:19 - Feb 23 with 1100 viewsFlashberryjack

Aberystwyth University has a service that translates modern words into Welsh.
I've used them to translate a clubs name into the welsh equivalent, they came back to me with following "Y Clwb Llamgwn Seisnig Cymru"

Can anyone guess what it means in english ?

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Welsh language on 17:30 - Feb 23 with 1090 viewsbuilthjack

You usually find that the ones who can't do something are the biggest moaners about it.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024