Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa 14:17 - Apr 12 with 1440 viewshubble

I saw that Chris Cross, the Ultravox guitarist who wrote their massive hit 'Vienna' died in March. Which is a clunky segue into the fact that I will be visiting this fair city in a couple of weeks.

I've never been before, so I thought I'd ask the incredibly knowledgable LFW collective for any recommendations as to places to visit and things to do..... Less obvious, quirky ideas and tips are welcome!!

Thanks in advance.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 15:03 - Apr 12 with 1314 viewsBoston

Back in the 80's, you could make good money just carrying an unmarked package from Vienna to London. Light work, didn't weigh more than a couple of kilos. I'll see if I've still got Ronnie's number, pass it onto ya.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 16:25 - Apr 12 with 1177 viewsstowmarketrange

We were there for the preseason in July 2019,but I was too drunk to remember much about anything except hovering over the buy button on a ticket for the cricket World Cup final the day after we got back.
Quite a pleasant city though if I recall.Austria Vienna aren’t too keen on Rapid.

And Midge Ure said this means nothing to me after hearing the song for the first time,and the producer told him to sing it,so he did.
Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 17:16 - Apr 12 with 1077 viewsFG_R

Last visited Vienna in the late 1980s but funnily enough will be going back later this year - so I would be interested in your views when you return. There are all the usual tourist things to do like the art galleries, the Spanish Riding School and the horse drawn carriage rides around the centre but the things I most remember are:

(i) The Giant Ferris Wheel in the Prater Park. This featured in the classic film the ‘Third Man’, with Orson Welles, which was made in 1949 and set in post-war Vienna. So the Ferris wheel is really old and a bit of a relic from this era.

(ii) St Stephen’s Cathedral. It has the most spectacular roof decorated in multi-coloured tiles. When we went you could climb the stairs up the tower for some amazing views of Vienna.

(iii) The Graben which is like a historic Plaza area but with a really nice vibe to it.

Also, don’t forget to try the original Sacher-Torte Chocolate cake, the Wiener-Schnitzel and the Apfel Strudel.
Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 17:45 - Apr 12 with 1019 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Have only been for one night, sorry Hubble.

Unless it's got far cheaper, I'd do my eating and drinking before you arrive.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 18:43 - Apr 12 with 913 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

The croissant was invented in Vienna, not France. It is a half crescent moon, baked to celebrate the victory of Christian forces over the Islamic Ottoman Empire during the Siege of Vienna in 1683.
This defeat marked the moment the Islamic Ottoman Empire started its retreat from Europe over the next 250 years.

Little free history lesson for everyone!
Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 19:21 - Apr 12 with 856 viewsrbee

Go to Salzberg!
Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 19:35 - Apr 12 with 832 viewsGloryHunter

Vienna much smaller than I'd expected. Saw a few posh horses poncing about. Went to one of the famous coffee houses, which was frankly nothing special. Very expensive place.
Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 19:52 - Apr 12 with 792 viewskernowhoop

The Sachertorte at the cafe famous for it was nowhere near as exciting as we thought it would be.
The Spanish Riding School was wonderful.
Login to get fewer ads

Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 20:27 - Apr 12 with 743 viewsWoog

Nice place to wander around.
I would recommend a visit to Schönbrunn Palace - beautiful.
You defo need to do one of the cafes for coffee and cake (though Budapest just beats it for these imho)

I would second how expensive it is.
Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 20:30 - Apr 12 with 730 viewsrbee

Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 20:27 - Apr 12 by Woog

Nice place to wander around.
I would recommend a visit to Schönbrunn Palace - beautiful.
You defo need to do one of the cafes for coffee and cake (though Budapest just beats it for these imho)

I would second how expensive it is.

Also the Niederegger Cafe in Lubeck.
Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 21:14 - Apr 12 with 676 viewshubble

Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 17:16 - Apr 12 by FG_R

Last visited Vienna in the late 1980s but funnily enough will be going back later this year - so I would be interested in your views when you return. There are all the usual tourist things to do like the art galleries, the Spanish Riding School and the horse drawn carriage rides around the centre but the things I most remember are:

(i) The Giant Ferris Wheel in the Prater Park. This featured in the classic film the ‘Third Man’, with Orson Welles, which was made in 1949 and set in post-war Vienna. So the Ferris wheel is really old and a bit of a relic from this era.

(ii) St Stephen’s Cathedral. It has the most spectacular roof decorated in multi-coloured tiles. When we went you could climb the stairs up the tower for some amazing views of Vienna.

(iii) The Graben which is like a historic Plaza area but with a really nice vibe to it.

Also, don’t forget to try the original Sacher-Torte Chocolate cake, the Wiener-Schnitzel and the Apfel Strudel.

I'm really excited to know that the Ferris Wheel is still there, thanks for this info. The Third Man is one of my all time fave films - in fact I was going to mention it in the film thread because it's currently on iplayer.

And thanks to all of you for your suggestions. I'm lucky in that I'll be staying in a friend's empty apartment in the heart of Vienna, so I should just about have enough money to afford to eat all that sachertorte and schitzel and apfel strudel!

And for those of you who asked, I will report back on how the old place is faring.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 21:19 - Apr 12 with 665 viewsqpr_1968

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 22:03 - Apr 12 with 577 viewsNorthantsHoop

Saw U2 in Vienna in 2010, loved the city, nice vibe lots to see.
Ohhhh Viennnaaaaaa on 04:43 - Apr 13 with 456 viewsnumptydumpty

Rip to the guy.

But unfortunately for me, not sure why but the Vienna track I used to find really grating.

There was something about that song I just found depressing

Maybe I was the only one

A woman I work with and one of my best mates of many years ihs wife are both massive fans of ultravox and especially rate Midge Ure over who they call big mouth Bob.

I know Midge was as involved with band aid and live aid as Geldof but you would not have know that

But yes Human League, Gary Numan, The Smiths wasn't a fan at the time as it was all so depressing.

Was much more mesmerised by Belinda Carlisle and Natalie Umbruglia. Now I look back, can't understand my eighteen year old thinking.

Lot of these rock guys die young or young ish. It can be a tough lifestyle. Think today with social media its tough being in public eye.

Such is life.

Sad this man has passed.

Rip Chris
[Post edited 13 Apr 4:44]

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024