Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep 07:35 - Apr 21 with 15884 viewshoops_legend

Now that we are all but safe - it’s important to look at next season

Personally I actually like and think most of our first team is good enough and passionate enough about QPR and with a summer of Martis coaching - will be a lot better next

Priority has to be keeping Chair, willock, JCS and Cook who personally I think are the key to next season, fantastic defensive pairing and also flair and creative play up top

We need two strikers however as we need to see more clinical finishing and I think depending on anderson we need to bolster our midfield a bit more

Also need a new keeper - begovic has been fine (bar the odd clanger) but time to move on (see Begovic thread!)

So what do we do to keep the above four and ensure we are competitive for play offs
(No subject) (n/t) on 19:20 - Apr 25 with 1966 viewsstainrods_elbow

(No subject) (n/t) on 18:44 - Apr 25 by derbyhoop

If you think anybody is going to pay anywhere near £3m for Dykes, I'd find some weaker drugs. If you think a buying club from Scotland, except Celtic, are going to pay anywhere near that, then you need locking up for your own safety.

That's not much more than we paid for him if memory serves, and he's played/scored a few more times for his country (1 goal in 4 for Scotland) since then, even if we'd probably agree (whisper it) he's somehow declined for us in that time. I'd say 3m or thereabouts is not unrealistic, therefore, though I'd take 2m if Millwall or anyone comes calling. He's 28, isn't good enough, has lost his first team starting place, and isn't going to get any better.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:22 - Apr 25 with 1949 views1JD

(No subject) (n/t) on 15:10 - Apr 25 by dannyblue

Willock was part of the third worst (i.e., relegation standard) strike force in the division both last season and this season. Yes of course he has his moments, but it ain't working. If your ifs turned out all positively, then yes, he's good, but those are a lot of ifs. The same can be levelled at Chair, but he's not out of contract, nobody's likely to buy him, and I think he can be used elsewhere.

I agree about Cook as a captain and Armstrong as a winger. And if he has signed a new contract as Clive says, then I'm not upset about it.

In an ideal world I'd love to keep JCS, he's been a revelation - part of the 10th best defence in the division. But he's the player that we can sell, who's at the top of his value which is likely to decline from here, that can fund all the other squad work we need to do.

Dunne has been terrible and decent. And he's not going anywhere. So he'll form part of the squad I'm sure.

Colback has played at a better level than us most of his career it's true, but hasn't really looked that interested to me apart from in getting bookings. I'd hope we could do better if we were able to release, but we can't, so he'll do for next year.

On the topic of Armstrong as a winger, all his current challenges as a striker, lack of touch, technique, skill, end-product, etc will not be solved by shifting position out wide. And unfortunately I don’t see anything in his current game that indicates he will be more effective as striker than as a winger.

Pace alone - his best trait - won’t be enough, as most wingers receive the ball with midfielders and defenders ahead of them. So you need to beat them from a standing start or front them up. But attempting to kick the ball past them, or over their heads, Rugby style, and out-sprinting your opponent is very Sunday league and won’t cut it in the championship.

As a modern winger you need the ability to beat a man, or two, through a combination of dribbling ability and skill. eg shoulder drops, chops, step overs etc, none of which Armstrong has in his locker. Then once you beat a man, you need end product, either a crossing ability from wide, or the ability to drive out to in, through dribbling skill, and then play the cut back pass Man City-style - neither of which I have seen in Armstrongs game either
(No subject) (n/t) on 20:48 - Apr 25 with 1906 viewsderbyhoop

(No subject) (n/t) on 19:20 - Apr 25 by stainrods_elbow

That's not much more than we paid for him if memory serves, and he's played/scored a few more times for his country (1 goal in 4 for Scotland) since then, even if we'd probably agree (whisper it) he's somehow declined for us in that time. I'd say 3m or thereabouts is not unrealistic, therefore, though I'd take 2m if Millwall or anyone comes calling. He's 28, isn't good enough, has lost his first team starting place, and isn't going to get any better.

33 goals in 153 appearances in total.
5 goals this season.
He"s 28 now. He's not going to get much better. That we agree on.
If we could get back what we, allegedly, paid we'd snap their hand off.

£3m is in the realms of fantasy., I'm afraid.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

(No subject) (n/t) on 10:17 - Apr 26 with 1678 viewsTheChef

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:48 - Apr 25 by derbyhoop

33 goals in 153 appearances in total.
5 goals this season.
He"s 28 now. He's not going to get much better. That we agree on.
If we could get back what we, allegedly, paid we'd snap their hand off.

£3m is in the realms of fantasy., I'm afraid.

It's a shame the Scotland national team can't buy players.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 12:42 - Apr 26 with 1609 viewsaston_hoop

Talk up in Sunderland that Willock is joining them in the summer

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 12:48 - Apr 26 with 1569 viewsdmm

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 12:42 - Apr 26 by aston_hoop

Replacement for Jack Clarke? Yep, I can see might happen.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 13:15 - Apr 26 with 1500 viewsNed_Kennedys

No chance he is staying and despite a few flashes of his old self recently I won’t miss him.
Big rebuild needed with our attack as it’s been abject this season.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 13:57 - Apr 26 with 1426 viewsNorthernr

Not to give it the big I Am but I have literally been saying for 2.5 years him and his dad wanted a nice lucrative free transfer this summer. If Sunderland have agreed to pay anything like what they’ve been looking for then… well I hope they’ve given his hamstrings a good look.
Login to get fewer ads

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 14:17 - Apr 26 with 1340 viewsrbee

Would make sense for Willock to move up there with his brother, they can hang out together when injured.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 14:21 - Apr 26 with 1326 viewsellersliehoop

They will be mid table at best, and possibly below us I would hope.

It's good to see he's not motivated by money alone...........
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 16:15 - Apr 26 with 1229 viewslassel

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 13:57 - Apr 26 by Northernr

Not to give it the big I Am but I have literally been saying for 2.5 years him and his dad wanted a nice lucrative free transfer this summer. If Sunderland have agreed to pay anything like what they’ve been looking for then… well I hope they’ve given his hamstrings a good look.

To add to this, for what it’s worth, I did post back in January that I had heard it was Sunderland and indeed there was the possibility of him going there 6 months early if they’d been able to move a few out.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 16:53 - Apr 26 with 1151 viewsdaveB

Shame we are not going to get the big money we looked like we might get 2 years ago but really we can't afford to give him a big contract here given his performances the last 2 seasons. Very good player on his day and will be a good signing for someone but probably best for us and him that he moves on
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 17:39 - Apr 26 with 1095 viewsaston_hoop

Deon Woodman released. Not sure if this is going to be how we find out who stays and who goes this season now the club no longer release information!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 19:11 - Apr 26 with 957 viewsNed_Kennedys

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 17:39 - Apr 26 by aston_hoop

Deon Woodman released. Not sure if this is going to be how we find out who stays and who goes this season now the club no longer release information!

Classy post by the lad: hope he gets a new club sorted asap.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 20:28 - Apr 26 with 895 viewshoops_legend

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 14:17 - Apr 26 by rbee

Would make sense for Willock to move up there with his brother, they can hang out together when injured.

Willock seems to get a late if hate on here. We will be a much worse team without him and he’s playing great tonight
(No subject) (n/t) on 22:23 - Apr 26 with 800 viewsstainrods_elbow

(No subject) (n/t) on 20:22 - Apr 25 by 1JD

On the topic of Armstrong as a winger, all his current challenges as a striker, lack of touch, technique, skill, end-product, etc will not be solved by shifting position out wide. And unfortunately I don’t see anything in his current game that indicates he will be more effective as striker than as a winger.

Pace alone - his best trait - won’t be enough, as most wingers receive the ball with midfielders and defenders ahead of them. So you need to beat them from a standing start or front them up. But attempting to kick the ball past them, or over their heads, Rugby style, and out-sprinting your opponent is very Sunday league and won’t cut it in the championship.

As a modern winger you need the ability to beat a man, or two, through a combination of dribbling ability and skill. eg shoulder drops, chops, step overs etc, none of which Armstrong has in his locker. Then once you beat a man, you need end product, either a crossing ability from wide, or the ability to drive out to in, through dribbling skill, and then play the cut back pass Man City-style - neither of which I have seen in Armstrongs game either

Have you seen ANYTHING in Armstrong's locker (in any/either position) on that basis?

His goal against Watford, and his assist for Paal v Coventry, if slim pickings, challenge your scepticism and support my view, I'd argue. There may or may not be a good player in there, but he's shown more as a wide forward/winger than a CF for sure, where he mostly bangs his head against a brick shithouse.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 22:38 - Apr 26 with 748 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

Wouldn't be too disappointed if he went. Doesn't do enough off the ball to look really comfortable in Martis team. Compare work rate of him to Chair, no comparison.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 22:38 - Apr 26 with 745 viewskarlski

From a purely footballing perspective, without considering our finances, I'd want to keep: Cook, JCS, Field, Chair. The first two have been the foundation of an upper Championship level defence under Marti; I think the work Field does is vital and we would immediately notice it if he were missing; and Chair is a bit of an emotional pick due to his history and level of effort, and I'd like to see how he would develop in a Marti team with pre-season/any additions, etc.

Now taking into account finances, if we got good offers for Chair and JCS, I'd reluctantly sell. Marti has been amazing, so it's fair to give him the chance to rebuild his attack with players that suit him and his style. I do think Chair's holding of the ball can slow us down, and he's not quite as creative with his passing as you might want in that position. But those are minor criticisms - as I said, I'd keep him if we could, would like to see him playing with better around him.

If we want to stick to a selling model and need to generate cash, then JCS is pick of the bunch I'd imagine (though I think we'd be in a very strong position to sell with 1 full high performing season under his belt, he'd still be prime centre back age for a move).

Best guess is Willock will be off. I like him style wise but not bothered if he goes, freeing his salary up isn't a bad thing.

Dykes has shown improvement under Marti, great in last two games, but not good enough overall. Would move him on.

Not sure if anyone would come in for Paal, if he stays I think he can improve, if he goes not too bothered.

Eze money would be a huge win. Problem is timing: guessing it will be a long drawn out transfer saga.

Interested to see it play out.
(No subject) (n/t) on 23:56 - Apr 26 with 670 views1JD

(No subject) (n/t) on 22:23 - Apr 26 by stainrods_elbow

Have you seen ANYTHING in Armstrong's locker (in any/either position) on that basis?

His goal against Watford, and his assist for Paal v Coventry, if slim pickings, challenge your scepticism and support my view, I'd argue. There may or may not be a good player in there, but he's shown more as a wide forward/winger than a CF for sure, where he mostly bangs his head against a brick shithouse.

In answer, not really no. I’ve watched Sinclair since he was in the 18s and originally posted on here about his potential.

I commented at the time, he had explosive pace, but no hold up game - and that needed to improve if he was to make it at this level.

Currently, there has not been enough improvement in that regard - both touch and technique, and I wonder if he can ever get to the levels needed.

And that’s before we talk about finishing. There is a LOT to work on. Jury is definitely out for me. Would love for him to stay of course, definitely some raw attributes to work with. But not for silly money that he agent may want.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 07:43 - Apr 27 with 516 viewsellersliehoop

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 22:38 - Apr 26 by Wilkinswatercarrier

Wouldn't be too disappointed if he went. Doesn't do enough off the ball to look really comfortable in Martis team. Compare work rate of him to Chair, no comparison.

Willock was superb last night.........

I appreciate his form has been mixed for the last 2 seasons but on last night alone he will be hard to replace
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 08:16 - Apr 27 with 486 viewsgazza1

I would suggest that the Club will be looking at the 'play-offs' next season and I am sure the players certainly will be as well. I do not think that we will be selling our better players unless the transfer fee is very good. Willock, I hope, will stay but that it out of the Clubs hands by all accounts.

I expect MC to bring in a forward and probably replace the GK as a priority. I think he could well go overseas to get players as well.

I would also expect a 'clear out' of 'dead wood'......it needs to be done.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 08:26 - Apr 27 with 452 viewsdmm

I'm surprised and a bit disappointed to see Woodman released. He was one of our better young players and had done very well when out on loan, albeit at non league clubs. I guess we have to trust the coaches' decision as they see the youngsters day in, day out.
Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 09:35 - Apr 27 with 368 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Next season - 4 key players for us to keep on 08:26 - Apr 27 by dmm

I'm surprised and a bit disappointed to see Woodman released. He was one of our better young players and had done very well when out on loan, albeit at non league clubs. I guess we have to trust the coaches' decision as they see the youngsters day in, day out.

Agreed, dmm. He looked promising to me on the few occasions I'd seen him.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024