Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How the mighty have fallen 06:02 - Jul 24 with 5039 viewsstowmarketrange

The fixtures are out for the National league north and my local non league team,Needham Market are at home on August 20th to Scunthorpe Utd.
It was only 13 years ago that they thumped us 4-1 in our championship winning season.

Other former league sides to visit Needham this season include Darlington,Chester,Hereford and Southport.
How the mighty have fallen on 07:40 - Jul 24 with 4786 viewsstevec

Feels like we’re permanently trapped in some sort of National League North!
How the mighty have fallen on 08:18 - Jul 24 with 4660 viewsNorthernr

Scunny were basically run into the ground by a bloke called Peter Swann who took them over promising Championship consolidation, spent loads on players (Ivan Toney was there for a while), rattled through managers, and basically torched the place. Then got all bitter and tried to hold onto the ground and evict them. They're now locally owned again and rebuilding. There's a really great hour podcast on the whole disaster on BBC Sounds which I'd recommend.
How the mighty have fallen on 08:39 - Jul 24 with 4577 viewsstowmarketrange

How the mighty have fallen on 08:18 - Jul 24 by Northernr

Scunny were basically run into the ground by a bloke called Peter Swann who took them over promising Championship consolidation, spent loads on players (Ivan Toney was there for a while), rattled through managers, and basically torched the place. Then got all bitter and tried to hold onto the ground and evict them. They're now locally owned again and rebuilding. There's a really great hour podcast on the whole disaster on BBC Sounds which I'd recommend.

All of Needham’s programmes are now online if you want to read all about it.I remember speaking to one of their older fans after the 4-1 game and he couldn’t believe what he’d seen that day,and was so ecstatic at the result.
It’s terrible that those same fans have had their club ripped apart by greedy owners.
How the mighty have fallen on 08:44 - Jul 24 with 4549 viewsNorthernr

How the mighty have fallen on 08:39 - Jul 24 by stowmarketrange

All of Needham’s programmes are now online if you want to read all about it.I remember speaking to one of their older fans after the 4-1 game and he couldn’t believe what he’d seen that day,and was so ecstatic at the result.
It’s terrible that those same fans have had their club ripped apart by greedy owners.

TBF it was unprecedented that they were in the Champ ever, absolutely incredible to me having grown up in the town. They're a Third Division side. When they got promoted into the Second in 97 it was seen as some sort of miracle and they were relegated straight back immediately.

Shouldn't be Conference North though.
How the mighty have fallen on 08:53 - Jul 24 with 4508 viewsstowmarketrange

How the mighty have fallen on 08:44 - Jul 24 by Northernr

TBF it was unprecedented that they were in the Champ ever, absolutely incredible to me having grown up in the town. They're a Third Division side. When they got promoted into the Second in 97 it was seen as some sort of miracle and they were relegated straight back immediately.

When you look at the championship,2nd division of the late 90’s and early 00’s and see the teams that were in it,you realise how much has changed.Bury,Port facking Vale,Stockport and others that have almost disappeared into non league.Hereford used to regularly feature in the league too.
How the mighty have fallen on 09:11 - Jul 24 with 4441 viewsNorthernr

How the mighty have fallen on 08:53 - Jul 24 by stowmarketrange

When you look at the championship,2nd division of the late 90’s and early 00’s and see the teams that were in it,you realise how much has changed.Bury,Port facking Vale,Stockport and others that have almost disappeared into non league.Hereford used to regularly feature in the league too.

A whole bunch of clubs basically got killed by the ITV Digital deal - Grimsby, Stockport, Tranmere etc.
How the mighty have fallen on 09:42 - Jul 24 with 4298 viewsderbyhoop

I try to keep a tally of all the EFL grounds I've been to, wanting to do all 92, but so many are now in the National League. Or lower.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

How the mighty have fallen on 10:00 - Jul 24 with 4222 viewsterryb

This post is more about Scunthorpe than Needham, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time until Scunny return to the EFL. Barrow took decades ro return, but most clubs eventually make it back to the promised land!
Of the 92 Premier & EFL clubs this season, only 15 were not in the EFL in the 1960/61 season. I thought it was 16, but Peterborough replaced Gateshead that summer. The "newcomers" being Bromley, Burton, Cambridge, Cheltenham, Crawley, Fleetwood, Harrogate, MK, Morecambe, Oxford, Salford, Stevenage, Wigan, Wimbledon, Wycombe.

The replaced clubs are Aldershot, Bradford Park Avenue, Bury, Chester, Darlington, Halifax, Hartlepools, Oldham, Rochdale, Scunthorpe, Southend, Southport, Torquay, Workington, York.

Some of the clubs that have played in the EFL & non-league are "phoenix" clubs, Accrington, Aldershot, Boston, Bury , Darlington, Gateshead, Hereford, Newport, Wimbledon among them, but I'm sure there are others.

I suppose my point is that although clubs do progress/regress, over the course of time most return to their allotted place in the system.

Anyhow, good luck to Needham for the season.
Login to get fewer ads

How the mighty have fallen on 12:56 - Jul 24 with 3985 viewskingsburyR

How the mighty have fallen on 08:44 - Jul 24 by Northernr

How are you an R's fan again???

There must be 30 teams between where you grew up and Shepherds Bush.

Not that I'm complaining mind!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

How the mighty have fallen on 12:57 - Jul 24 with 3980 viewsNorthernr

How the mighty have fallen on 12:56 - Jul 24 by kingsburyR

How are you an R's fan again???

There must be 30 teams between where you grew up and Shepherds Bush.

Not that I'm complaining mind!

Dad was mad QPR, and I was in Hampton Hill for the junior school bit of my childhood when I got into football properly.

Bit a nomadic existence but essentially it's been Grimsby > Hampton > Scunny > Sheffield for equal lengths of time, then a harrowing year on Corby, and London again ever since.
How the mighty have fallen on 13:14 - Jul 24 with 3916 viewskingsburyR

How the mighty have fallen on 12:57 - Jul 24 by Northernr

Dad was mad QPR, and I was in Hampton Hill for the junior school bit of my childhood when I got into football properly.

Bit a nomadic existence but essentially it's been Grimsby > Hampton > Scunny > Sheffield for equal lengths of time, then a harrowing year on Corby, and London again ever since.

Scunnys loss is our gain mate!

Not sure over the years who would have given you more material though!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

How the mighty have fallen on 13:21 - Jul 24 with 3887 viewshantssi

How the mighty have fallen on 12:57 - Jul 24 by Northernr

A whole year in Corby eh?!
That must have made a man of you!
Scottish accents everywhere whilst they’ve never even been north of the border!
How the mighty have fallen on 14:23 - Jul 24 with 3698 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

How the mighty have fallen on 13:21 - Jul 24 by hantssi

A whole year in Corby eh?!
That must have made a man of you!
Scottish accents everywhere whilst they’ve never even been north of the border!

Is it true there is something like one taxi for every resident in Corby or something.
How the mighty have fallen on 14:30 - Jul 24 with 3659 viewsSonofpugwash

I remember the rise and fall of Rushden and Diamonds.

Poll: Dykes - love him or hate him?

How the mighty have fallen on 14:33 - Jul 24 with 3624 viewsslmrstid

How the mighty have fallen on 10:00 - Jul 24 by terryb

This post is more about Scunthorpe than Needham, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time until Scunny return to the EFL. Barrow took decades ro return, but most clubs eventually make it back to the promised land!
Of the 92 Premier & EFL clubs this season, only 15 were not in the EFL in the 1960/61 season. I thought it was 16, but Peterborough replaced Gateshead that summer. The "newcomers" being Bromley, Burton, Cambridge, Cheltenham, Crawley, Fleetwood, Harrogate, MK, Morecambe, Oxford, Salford, Stevenage, Wigan, Wimbledon, Wycombe.

The replaced clubs are Aldershot, Bradford Park Avenue, Bury, Chester, Darlington, Halifax, Hartlepools, Oldham, Rochdale, Scunthorpe, Southend, Southport, Torquay, Workington, York.

Some of the clubs that have played in the EFL & non-league are "phoenix" clubs, Accrington, Aldershot, Boston, Bury , Darlington, Gateshead, Hereford, Newport, Wimbledon among them, but I'm sure there are others.

I suppose my point is that although clubs do progress/regress, over the course of time most return to their allotted place in the system.

Anyhow, good luck to Needham for the season.

Bradford Park Avenue fascinate me for some reason. I think its a mix of the name, the fact their original stadium looks proper evocative in pictures, joined onto the cricket ground like Headingley, and them being historically the bigger club in Bradford (I think) before Bradford City outgrew them whilst they shrank away.
How the mighty have fallen on 14:50 - Jul 24 with 3556 viewsDavieQPR

Oldham have had the mightiest fall. From Premier League to National League.
How the mighty have fallen on 15:29 - Jul 24 with 3157 viewsPindarus

How the mighty have fallen on 14:30 - Jul 24 by Sonofpugwash

Did we not sign the one season goal machine Stuart Wardley from Rushden and Diamonds?
How the mighty have fallen on 15:33 - Jul 24 with 3103 viewsPindarus

Did we not sign the one season goal machine Stuart Wardley from Rushden and Diamonds?
How the mighty have fallen on 15:42 - Jul 24 with 2948 viewsqpr_1968

How the mighty have fallen on 08:39 - Jul 24 by stowmarketrange

apart from the result, one of my best away games that season.
went overnight, stayed in the blarney stone until 4.30 on the morning of the game.
went back to the b&b for an hours kip....breakfast at 7.30...had a wander around the town, had another bite to eat in a pub called the buccaneer, think it was a witherspoons...had a few pints in there, then a brisk walk down to the ground and met the boys from the lsa in that boozer outside the stadium.

oh to be young again.....

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

How the mighty have fallen on 16:11 - Jul 24 with 2291 viewsstowmarketrange

How the mighty have fallen on 15:33 - Jul 24 by Pindarus

Saffron Walden was where we got Stuart from.
How the mighty have fallen on 16:24 - Jul 24 with 2157 viewshantssi

Venue of Ainsworth's wonder goal(s)!
How the mighty have fallen on 18:05 - Jul 24 with 1383 viewsthemodfather

hopefully it will soon be man city v scuuny in tational league north!!
How the mighty have fallen on 18:27 - Jul 24 with 1352 viewsstrikerace

All these teams need are some owners from Hollywood
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024