Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Madsen 21:44 - Oct 1 with 4748 viewsKiko

I know he scored a penalty, but other than that I thought he was awful. What a waste of money. Midfield is crying out for someone who can impose themselves on the game
Madsen on 00:59 - Oct 2 with 762 viewsBenny_the_Ball

Madsen on 23:07 - Oct 1 by Hunterhoop

Agree. Madsen is a free role 10. He does not have a defensive bone in his body. Has absolutely no positional sense, no instinct of where the ball will, does not track runners, and doesn’t put himself about. If he plays it has to be at 10.

Andersen is exactly the same. Can only play as a luxury 10.

You simply cannot play both together. Was. Obvious after Millwall when we were lucky not to lose. Today we were lucky we didn’t lose by more.

Playing both is compounded by asking Paal to invert (push higher and more central). When we lose the ball, he’s miles out of position, forcing Dunne to come across to the left, leaving Cook exposed in the middle, whilst Field is exposed ahead of him because our front 5 are all the wrong side of the ball. Gaps everywhere. Way too open.

As I said very early in the season, I’d play Field, Colback and Varane all in the middle to try to add some coagulant in there. I’d bin off this inverted fullback stuff; it is not working. And I’d ask Dembele, Chair and Frey to try to create. We have to become harder to beat and play through. Teams who don’t concede sometimes win. Teams who concede 2-3 every week tend to lose a lot. Build from the back.

What's interesting is he prefers playing as an number 8 but previous clubs tended to utilise him as a 10. Either way, he's definitely not a DM, and the system doesn't suit him or some of his teammates.
Madsen on 07:16 - Oct 2 with 521 viewsGus_iom

Madsen on 22:50 - Oct 1 by aston_hoop

Certainly don't need Dembele or Saito back marking in the box at their heights, even combined.

FWIW I thought Madsen was fine today, think Santos and Andersen were the 2 big problems and then Smyth when he came on. I'll get pelters for this, bit on reflection, we were a bit unlucky weren't we? As opposed to really bad?

They're used to block runners. Certainly rather ineffectively against Millwall. Totally agree that they would be better keeping defenders occupied on the halfway line.
A number of times Nardi looked for a quick release and had no available options.
Madsen on 07:41 - Oct 2 with 465 viewsjoe90

Madsen isn’t ‘the’ problem in the side, but he is a big problem. I know some are taken by his ‘languid’ style and potential (if only we built our team around our Danish Dozzell upgrade) but he’s going to be crap more often than he’s good and we’ll continue to have the same conversations. That said…we are stuck with him so it is probably worth trying to fit in him somehow - not building a team around him but at least getting him playing in his optimal position.

The sad truth is the team is also rubbish more often than it’s good. I think we need to adjust our expectations. We’re not play-off contenders and we definitely shouldn’t be in relegation battle.

Hopefully something will click and well see improved performances across the team.
[Post edited 2 Oct 9:18]
Madsen on 08:28 - Oct 2 with 411 viewspaulparker

If we are going to play Saito, Demble, Frey as your front three then you need protection in the midfield , Madsen imo is a ten and shouldn’t be starting next to field
Our midfield is so open at the moment it’s scary

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Madsen on 01:49 - Oct 4 with 62 viewsrobith

Interesting tactical discussion - but on his individual merits I'll probably wait for a larger sample size than 5 matches before assassinating him personally
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024