Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Madsen 21:44 - Oct 1 with 4814 viewsKiko

I know he scored a penalty, but other than that I thought he was awful. What a waste of money. Midfield is crying out for someone who can impose themselves on the game
Madsen on 21:50 - Oct 1 with 3875 viewsSuffolk

Have to agree with you. He moves the ball well but when we are out of possession he is anonymous. His half hearted effort at blocking a cross late in the second half pretty much sums him up. I can't see him making it in this league, he hasn't got enough heart.
Madsen on 21:50 - Oct 1 with 3868 viewsPhilmyRs

Harsh. Actually thought first half was the best he’s played for us. Struggled second half but saw some decent use of the ball and clever passing in the first half to see what sort of player he could be, and I’m someone that’s not really warmed to him. Yes he still hides, yes he needs to do more off the ball but shouldn’t be writing him off just yet. Think he suffers as does Celar when we start going long and the decent play on the deck goes out the window for some reason.
Madsen on 21:57 - Oct 1 with 3761 viewsRangers67

Both him and Andersen are not up to it so Marti playing both of them is a recipe for disaster . And as for Santos he was murdered all night and that is on Marti as well. We started the game well and if we had taken one of the many chances we might have gone on to get something. Lastly we must be the unluckiest team in the div.
Madsen on 21:59 - Oct 1 with 3714 viewsBenny_the_Ball

We've too many nice midfielders that you could take home to your mum. We lack combative midfielders who can impose themselves on games through grit and determination as well as guile.
Madsen on 22:05 - Oct 1 with 3608 viewsrbee

Madsen/Dembele/Andersen

I would not single out Madsen. This midfield looks pretty moving forward but without the ball are, for me, our biggest problem.

Andersen was way better last season and will hopefully find that form again.
Madsen on 22:10 - Oct 1 with 3507 viewscorse

Madsen was more than decent the first 45 mins but then second half faded. I ll be more concerned about Field and Andersen in what they did. Nothing that is. Both have been very poor this season.
Madsen on 22:14 - Oct 1 with 3406 viewsDamo1962

Madsen may hopefully improve, but Field and Anderson won't. One is shot,and the other is hugely overrated. Colback goes straight back in when fit. At least he won't lie down and have his belly rubbed.
Madsen on 22:15 - Oct 1 with 3405 viewsSteveB

Madsen on 21:50 - Oct 1 by PhilmyRs

Harsh. Actually thought first half was the best he’s played for us. Struggled second half but saw some decent use of the ball and clever passing in the first half to see what sort of player he could be, and I’m someone that’s not really warmed to him. Yes he still hides, yes he needs to do more off the ball but shouldn’t be writing him off just yet. Think he suffers as does Celar when we start going long and the decent play on the deck goes out the window for some reason.

I agree with that, I was thinking that Madsen might have got an understanding on Championship football after that 1st half. Best I've seen from him.

Unfortunately it didn't go well for anyone after the break. Woeful, all round.
Login to get fewer ads

Madsen on 22:25 - Oct 1 with 3250 viewsrbee

Madsen was good with his attacking play but his defensive play so far has been poor. A very half hearted effort to stop the shot coming in for their third.

Andersen last season was all over the pitch breaking up play and a loss of form should not affect that side of his game, strange.
Madsen on 22:46 - Oct 1 with 2967 viewsStanisgod

He's 6 foot 4 but he went short for one of Dembeles corners near the end, if that's his decision, it's madness, if he's told to that , it's madness. Although it's also madness to pull EVERYONE back for a corner , which contributed to the first goal, as they had three players on the edge of our box. Surely leave Dembele or Saito up there, that takes 2 away.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Madsen on 22:50 - Oct 1 with 2908 viewsRangersw12

I thought he was the least of our worries tbh
Madsen on 22:50 - Oct 1 with 2905 viewsaston_hoop

Madsen on 22:46 - Oct 1 by Stanisgod

He's 6 foot 4 but he went short for one of Dembeles corners near the end, if that's his decision, it's madness, if he's told to that , it's madness. Although it's also madness to pull EVERYONE back for a corner , which contributed to the first goal, as they had three players on the edge of our box. Surely leave Dembele or Saito up there, that takes 2 away.

Certainly don't need Dembele or Saito back marking in the box at their heights, even combined.

FWIW I thought Madsen was fine today, think Santos and Andersen were the 2 big problems and then Smyth when he came on. I'll get pelters for this, bit on reflection, we were a bit unlucky weren't we? As opposed to really bad?

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Madsen on 22:57 - Oct 1 with 2787 views1JD

Madsen is a defensive liability. When you play Madsen, you essentially play with 10 men. He absolutely cannot play in a 2-man midfield. Gaps galore. Exactly like Stefan Johansen, and Andre Dozzell before him. Just when you’ve finally cleared that problem, you then go and recreate it. And shell out 2-3m for the privilege!
Madsen on 22:58 - Oct 1 with 2790 viewsdannyblue

I though Madsen showed his best bits since he's been with us, but I did comment that he looked pretty exhausted even before the end of the first half. That's alarming.

Actually thought Field had a very decent game. He carried it forward once very well after winning it. And his crisp first time passing when marked was key to our momentum in the good bits of the first half...it was the difference we've been looking for.

They actually played better than they have this season, from what I've seen. But the bounces and deflections went well for Hull and they dispatched their chances, whereas we kept finding the keeper and then our heads dropped.

Anderson appears to be shot and Marti's faith in him is not being repaid.

Santos has speed, but so many mistakes and doesn't look up to the standard at the moment.
Madsen on 22:59 - Oct 1 with 2756 viewsStreathamRanger

Madsen on 22:50 - Oct 1 by aston_hoop

Certainly don't need Dembele or Saito back marking in the box at their heights, even combined.

FWIW I thought Madsen was fine today, think Santos and Andersen were the 2 big problems and then Smyth when he came on. I'll get pelters for this, bit on reflection, we were a bit unlucky weren't we? As opposed to really bad?

We were a bit unlucky but we were also the architects of our own downfall. Madsen looked great when we were popping it about in the first 20 minutes. Disappeared a bit after we went a goal down. I was flabbergasted that a man of his height either chose to or was told not to go into the box for corners. Madness
Madsen on 23:01 - Oct 1 with 2713 viewsdannyblue

Madsen on 22:59 - Oct 1 by StreathamRanger

We were a bit unlucky but we were also the architects of our own downfall. Madsen looked great when we were popping it about in the first 20 minutes. Disappeared a bit after we went a goal down. I was flabbergasted that a man of his height either chose to or was told not to go into the box for corners. Madness

I agree. Even if we know he's not going to jump for it, the opposition might not and would need to put one of their big men on him or risk a mismatch.
Madsen on 23:07 - Oct 1 with 2612 viewsHunterhoop

Madsen on 22:57 - Oct 1 by 1JD

Madsen is a defensive liability. When you play Madsen, you essentially play with 10 men. He absolutely cannot play in a 2-man midfield. Gaps galore. Exactly like Stefan Johansen, and Andre Dozzell before him. Just when you’ve finally cleared that problem, you then go and recreate it. And shell out 2-3m for the privilege!

Agree. Madsen is a free role 10. He does not have a defensive bone in his body. Has absolutely no positional sense, no instinct of where the ball will, does not track runners, and doesn’t put himself about. If he plays it has to be at 10.

Andersen is exactly the same. Can only play as a luxury 10.

You simply cannot play both together. Was. Obvious after Millwall when we were lucky not to lose. Today we were lucky we didn’t lose by more.

Playing both is compounded by asking Paal to invert (push higher and more central). When we lose the ball, he’s miles out of position, forcing Dunne to come across to the left, leaving Cook exposed in the middle, whilst Field is exposed ahead of him because our front 5 are all the wrong side of the ball. Gaps everywhere. Way too open.

As I said very early in the season, I’d play Field, Colback and Varane all in the middle to try to add some coagulant in there. I’d bin off this inverted fullback stuff; it is not working. And I’d ask Dembele, Chair and Frey to try to create. We have to become harder to beat and play through. Teams who don’t concede sometimes win. Teams who concede 2-3 every week tend to lose a lot. Build from the back.
Madsen on 23:14 - Oct 1 with 2519 views1JD

Madsen on 23:07 - Oct 1 by Hunterhoop

Agree. Madsen is a free role 10. He does not have a defensive bone in his body. Has absolutely no positional sense, no instinct of where the ball will, does not track runners, and doesn’t put himself about. If he plays it has to be at 10.

You simply cannot play both together. Was. Obvious after Millwall when we were lucky not to lose. Today we were lucky we didn’t lose by more.

Playing both is compounded by asking Paal to invert (push higher and more central). When we lose the ball, he’s miles out of position, forcing Dunne to come across to the left, leaving Cook exposed in the middle, whilst Field is exposed ahead of him because our front 5 are all the wrong side of the ball. Gaps everywhere. Way too open.

As I said very early in the season, I’d play Field, Colback and Varane all in the middle to try to add some coagulant in there. I’d bin off this inverted fullback stuff; it is not working. And I’d ask Dembele, Chair and Frey to try to create. We have to become harder to beat and play through. Teams who don’t concede sometimes win. Teams who concede 2-3 every week tend to lose a lot. Build from the back.

All good points.

My other concern is Madsen as 10 - don’t see it at all. No acceleration, pace, trickery, back to goal game in the pockets, etc. he’s just not a number 10. Which begs the question, what in the world is he?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… he’s one of those CMs who just doesn’t have a role. And it’s going to be a real problem. Extremely odd profile and signing
[Post edited 1 Oct 23:15]
Madsen on 23:16 - Oct 1 with 2444 viewsnumptydumpty

Madsen on 23:07 - Oct 1 by Hunterhoop

I think he is improving to be fair, some nice touches, excellent penalty but yes is not a defensive midfielder.

Anderson and Madsen i don't think works

But think we got a few others to question before Madsen. Think he has done OK.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Where will we finish next season ???

Madsen on 23:18 - Oct 1 with 2412 viewsHunterhoop

Madsen on 23:16 - Oct 1 by numptydumpty

I think he is improving to be fair, some nice touches, excellent penalty but yes is not a defensive midfielder.

Anderson and Madsen i don't think works

But think we got a few others to question before Madsen. Think he has done OK.

I think Madsen and Andersen are the biggest problem!
Madsen on 23:18 - Oct 1 with 2412 viewsNorthLondonR

I know football is solely based on opinions but my God does that boy hide, there's zero movement in the centre of midfield which is why we simply never make a pass beyond the two starting players with any pace... think Buzsaky, think Rowlands, think Faurlin... head up, don't admire a pass and get into space.... every time, that is simply not happening with Madsen at the moment... he lumbers about with some high degree of entitlement which befuddled me, he clearly can play, but we need a general to make this thing tick and the only one at present is Colback... im sure I could consult the LFW glossary at this stage and reach for staples such as... "get ale back in to coach the midfield" blah blah blah, but the central area at present is dead, and there's no Illy, Saito, Dembele partnership which will magically unlock this without some imagination and effort.

The first thing on the minds of all four central midfielders Hull deployed all game (despite what you might think of them) was to show for the ball, spread it wide instantly or move it forwards.. we don't do that whatsoever. We play the ball into Saito's feet or behind him, never beyond... same with Dembele
Madsen on 23:30 - Oct 1 with 2271 viewsHunterhoop

Madsen on 23:14 - Oct 1 by 1JD

All good points.

My other concern is Madsen as 10 - don’t see it at all. No acceleration, pace, trickery, back to goal game in the pockets, etc. he’s just not a number 10. Which begs the question, what in the world is he?

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again… he’s one of those CMs who just doesn’t have a role. And it’s going to be a real problem. Extremely odd profile and signing
[Post edited 1 Oct 23:15]

I agree. I just think you might be able to accommodate him (‘might!’) if he plays at 10. You might be able to carry him as a passenger out of possession and then hope he creates with it somehow.

He cannot play in central midfield though. He’s no more a central midfielder than Stuart Wardley was.

Playing Andersen and him is like playing with 9 men out of possession. Throw in Saito who is so light weight, Paal often 10 yards too high, Santos making naive errors, and we are just so easy to play against.

That system with that personnel that was played today - similar to the Millwall game - does not work. Varane in there is better - we at least held Blackburn evenly whilst it was 11 v 11 - but Varane himself has a lot of flaws. I see some potential there though. I’d play Field, Varane, and Colback just to be sure though. We have to be better out of possession. Today was as easy for Hull to play through us as it was for Blackburn around the same time last year. They could have ended up with 5 at the end.

We made 9 tackles all game. Field made 2 of them, Saito 1, the back 4 the rest. Andersen, Madsen and Dembele made 0 combined. Our starting front 5 made 1 tackle between them all game. That is awful.

To add to this, Madsen did not even concede a foul. So in 83 mins he did not make a single challenge….supposedly playing in central midfield. Andersen conceded 1 foul from his only challenge. So between them just one challenge made (and a foul conceded) all game. That is pretty shocking. You cannot play both together. You simply can’t.
[Post edited 1 Oct 23:40]
Madsen on 23:38 - Oct 1 with 2154 views1JD

Madsen on 23:30 - Oct 1 by Hunterhoop

I agree. I just think you might be able to accommodate him (‘might!’) if he plays at 10. You might be able to carry him as a passenger out of possession and then hope he creates with it somehow.

He cannot play in central midfield though. He’s no more a central midfielder than Stuart Wardley was.

Playing Andersen and him is like playing with 9 men out of possession. Throw in Saito who is so light weight, Paal often 10 yards too high, Santos making naive errors, and we are just so easy to play against.

That system with that personnel that was played today - similar to the Millwall game - does not work. Varane in there is better - we at least held Blackburn evenly whilst it was 11 v 11 - but Varane himself has a lot of flaws. I see some potential there though. I’d play Field, Varane, and Colback just to be sure though. We have to be better out of possession. Today was as easy for Hull to play through us as it was for Blackburn around the same time last year. They could have ended up with 5 at the end.

We made 9 tackles all game. Field made 2 of them, Saito 1, the back 4 the rest. Andersen, Madsen and Dembele made 0 combined. Our starting front 5 made 1 tackle between them all game. That is awful.

To add to this, Madsen did not even concede a foul. So in 83 mins he did not make a single challenge….supposedly playing in central midfield. Andersen conceded 1 foul from his only challenge. So between them just one challenge made (and a foul conceded) all game. That is pretty shocking. You cannot play both together. You simply can’t.
[Post edited 1 Oct 23:40]

We are shipping goals left right and centre for everything you articulated and need to urgently get back to picking the right personnel to become hard to beat, like last year.

Madsens at 10 is currently a last resort for me, but agree he hardly fits anywhere else…. But he’s behind Chair, Dembele, Kolli (sort the contract out Nourry) and Andersen for that role, making him 5th choice by my reckoning. And we surely did not buy him for this role - he says he is an 8. I’ve yet to see anything in his game which says so.
Madsen on 23:50 - Oct 1 with 2030 viewsozexile

I said it weeks ago. We've paid a lot of money to sign Jordan Mutch again.
Madsen on 23:59 - Oct 1 with 1986 viewsrbee

Madsen on 23:18 - Oct 1 by Hunterhoop

I think Madsen and Andersen are the biggest problem!

I do agree with many of the points you have raised on tonight's game but not on your assessment of Andersen.

If memory serves me right he was brought in as a wide player which has not been the case this season. You need to watch his early appearances in hoops once again as his tracking back and defending from the front was wonderful, forever breaking up play.

Whether or not Marti is asking him to do something different this season, his form has dropped away of course, perhaps it's a mixture of the two, but I am hoping that we see last season’s Andersen before too long.

I am not passing judgement on any of our new signings for a long time but my first impressions of Madsen are of a talented footballer with an excellent range of passing. Unfortunately, in The Championship to be a real success this sort of player needs to have at least 50% of Barry Bannan's temperament.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024