Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dales greatest No.9's 13:15 - Aug 21 with 7451 viewsjimmysbaldhead

Michael Oliver????????

http://prostatecanceruk.org/get-involved/do-an-event/football-league/best-no9s/c
Dales greatest No.9's on 13:18 - Aug 21 with 5460 viewsAtThePeake

Wouldn't stick Oliver in there. He was a good player, but no way he was in our top 5 no.9's ever.

Tangled up in blue.

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:30 - Aug 21 with 5413 viewsisitme

A pretty flawed article to be honest.

Do they want the best strikers or players who have warn the number 9 shirt? Oliver would certainly not be in a top 5 and Symes is far from the worst striker we have ever had. I still have nightmares involving Mark Leonard. Also did Symes wear the number 9 shirt last season?
Dales greatest No.9's on 13:33 - Aug 21 with 5404 viewsTVOS1907

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:18 - Aug 21 by AtThePeake

Wouldn't stick Oliver in there. He was a good player, but no way he was in our top 5 no.9's ever.

Correct.

For a start, he was a midfielder.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:37 - Aug 21 with 5388 viewsTVOS1907

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:30 - Aug 21 by isitme

A pretty flawed article to be honest.

Do they want the best strikers or players who have warn the number 9 shirt? Oliver would certainly not be in a top 5 and Symes is far from the worst striker we have ever had. I still have nightmares involving Mark Leonard. Also did Symes wear the number 9 shirt last season?

And Reg Jenkins wasn't our record appearance holder before Gary Jones.

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:37 - Aug 21 with 5385 viewsisitme

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:33 - Aug 21 by TVOS1907

Correct.

For a start, he was a midfielder.

What would the TVOS list be?

I do not understand why they ask random bloggers to do these things rather than someone more knowledgeable like yourself?
Dales greatest No.9's on 13:45 - Aug 21 with 5369 viewsTVOS1907

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:37 - Aug 21 by isitme

What would the TVOS list be?

I do not understand why they ask random bloggers to do these things rather than someone more knowledgeable like yourself?

It depends if by 'number 9' they mean it literally or if they mean 'best striker'.

Personally, my top strikers, from players I've seen, would be Steve Taylor, Grant Holt and Chris O'Grady, but you can then throw the likes of Whitehall, Lambert and Dagnall in as well.

I never saw Reg Jenkins, but older fans would undoubtedly name him.

As you say, it all boils down to who they ask and what criteria are being used.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:46 - Aug 21 with 5361 viewsmaybee

Wouldn't normally comment, but this is so far from the truth it's laughable.

Oliver was a run of the mill central midfielder...not rubbish, but also, not one of our past stars...even for his preferred position. He was latterly played out on the left hand side by Parkin, which did neither of them any favours.

Quite disrespectful by the author to put Oliver in there and leave out the likes of Steve Taylor and Bob Mountford for example.

And as for the worst??? Gary Cooper, Paul Williams et al must be laughing!!!
Dales greatest No.9's on 13:49 - Aug 21 with 5351 viewsdingdangblue

Not good that. Jenkins 'legend that he is' wore 10 more than 9 looking back in the dale history book. Melling and Buck seemed to share the 9 shirt and mentioning Michael Oliver is hilarious! Paul Conner scored more in 14 games in 01! As for Symes - as bad as he was - he was Messi compaired to Mark Leonard Im afraid.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:50 - Aug 21 with 5347 viewsisitme

The problem nowadays is that anyone with a Twitter account and a blog is an 'expert'. Volume overtakes quality in many people's eyes.
Dales greatest No.9's on 13:54 - Aug 21 with 5336 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:46 - Aug 21 by maybee

Wouldn't normally comment, but this is so far from the truth it's laughable.

Oliver was a run of the mill central midfielder...not rubbish, but also, not one of our past stars...even for his preferred position. He was latterly played out on the left hand side by Parkin, which did neither of them any favours.

Quite disrespectful by the author to put Oliver in there and leave out the likes of Steve Taylor and Bob Mountford for example.

And as for the worst??? Gary Cooper, Paul Williams et al must be laughing!!!

No mention of Vernon Allatt........absolute mustard!
Dales greatest No.9's on 14:11 - Aug 21 with 5304 viewspl56

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:49 - Aug 21 by dingdangblue

Not good that. Jenkins 'legend that he is' wore 10 more than 9 looking back in the dale history book. Melling and Buck seemed to share the 9 shirt and mentioning Michael Oliver is hilarious! Paul Conner scored more in 14 games in 01! As for Symes - as bad as he was - he was Messi compaired to Mark Leonard Im afraid.

The two names that came to my mind immediately in terms of goals per game ratios , and the impact they made , were Buck and Connor . The careers of both , sadly were blighted by injury , and their history at the club rather short term as a result compared to other strikers mentioned .

Buck's goals in 68/69 went a long way to securing promotion that season , and his overall impact on the team created some of the most memorable football in my supporting experience . As you say , Connor's record in 01 was certainly comparable , and almost propelled us to the play offs that season.

Your also right about Jenkins - I really don't ever recall him wearing the number 9 shirt - in fact I'd wager he wore the number 5 shirt more than 9 !
Dales greatest No.9's on 14:13 - Aug 21 with 5293 views442Dale

Platt wore 21 so why it was done on shirt number to include Oliver, I don't know.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Dales greatest No.9's on 14:19 - Aug 21 with 5271 viewsD_Alien

Dales greatest No.9's on 14:11 - Aug 21 by pl56

The two names that came to my mind immediately in terms of goals per game ratios , and the impact they made , were Buck and Connor . The careers of both , sadly were blighted by injury , and their history at the club rather short term as a result compared to other strikers mentioned .

Buck's goals in 68/69 went a long way to securing promotion that season , and his overall impact on the team created some of the most memorable football in my supporting experience . As you say , Connor's record in 01 was certainly comparable , and almost propelled us to the play offs that season.

Your also right about Jenkins - I really don't ever recall him wearing the number 9 shirt - in fact I'd wager he wore the number 5 shirt more than 9 !

Agree with this

Tony Buck for me

Worst I've seen: Phil "hernia" Ashworth

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Dales greatest No.9's on 14:29 - Aug 21 with 5246 viewsClivert

To be fair to Oliver I think his role in the 01/02 playoff season is always underestimated, to get a goals tally in double figures from midfield is always a fine achievement and if I remember correctly his performances were always consistantly good even during our dip after Parkin, Ford and Jones left that season.

However he was only a number 9 in sqaud number only and to compare him to likes of Holt, Platt, Dagnall and Jenkins is bizarre.
Dales greatest No.9's on 14:34 - Aug 21 with 5231 viewsdingdangblue

Dales greatest No.9's on 14:13 - Aug 21 by 442Dale

Platt wore 21 so why it was done on shirt number to include Oliver, I don't know.

Platty did wear 9 in '99 when he joined us - before squad numbers came in I think. If you are going off having wore the number 9 at any point then Whitehall wore it twice so he should be in even though he was mainly number 10.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10

Dales greatest No.9's on 14:46 - Aug 21 with 5204 views442Dale

Dales greatest No.9's on 14:34 - Aug 21 by dingdangblue

Platty did wear 9 in '99 when he joined us - before squad numbers came in I think. If you are going off having wore the number 9 at any point then Whitehall wore it twice so he should be in even though he was mainly number 10.

Squad numbers came in that year. Andy Morris was no.9.

Dales greatest No.9's on 15:15 - Aug 21 with 5164 viewsdingdangblue

Dales greatest No.9's on 14:46 - Aug 21 by 442Dale

Squad numbers came in that year. Andy Morris was no.9.

Looking at the book again, although the author has Platt down as 9 in the team/stats page there are photo's of him with the 21 shirt on. Guess he couldnt be arsed changing his layout. Does anyone know the number 9's weve had since squad numbers arrived? Donnelly,Dagnall and Holt are the only 3 I definitely know. Was Elding 9?

Dales greatest No.9's on 15:25 - Aug 21 with 5146 views442Dale

Dales greatest No.9's on 15:15 - Aug 21 by dingdangblue

Looking at the book again, although the author has Platt down as 9 in the team/stats page there are photo's of him with the 21 shirt on. Guess he couldnt be arsed changing his layout. Does anyone know the number 9's weve had since squad numbers arrived? Donnelly,Dagnall and Holt are the only 3 I definitely know. Was Elding 9?

Morris, Oliver, Chris Shuker, Andy Bishop, Holt, Dagnall, Elding, Paul Marshall, Harry Bunn, Symes.

In that order. I think.

Dales greatest No.9's on 15:39 - Aug 21 with 5121 viewsdingdangblue

Dales greatest No.9's on 15:25 - Aug 21 by 442Dale

Morris, Oliver, Chris Shuker, Andy Bishop, Holt, Dagnall, Elding, Paul Marshall, Harry Bunn, Symes.

In that order. I think.

I wouldnt have Oliver as high as 5th in that list never mind all time!

Dales greatest No.9's on 15:54 - Aug 21 with 5103 viewsAlbert_Whitehurst

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:45 - Aug 21 by TVOS1907

It depends if by 'number 9' they mean it literally or if they mean 'best striker'.

Personally, my top strikers, from players I've seen, would be Steve Taylor, Grant Holt and Chris O'Grady, but you can then throw the likes of Whitehall, Lambert and Dagnall in as well.

I never saw Reg Jenkins, but older fans would undoubtedly name him.

As you say, it all boils down to who they ask and what criteria are being used.

Albert Whitehurst (picture on the right) ---->
Dales greatest No.9's on 17:37 - Aug 21 with 4993 viewsDale1940

How about Joe Hargreaves, Eric Gemmil, JT Connor, Frank Lord, Jimmy Constantine, I would have any of these against any from the last twenty years
Dales greatest No.9's on 18:07 - Aug 21 with 4953 views442Dale

Dales greatest No.9's on 17:37 - Aug 21 by Dale1940

How about Joe Hargreaves, Eric Gemmil, JT Connor, Frank Lord, Jimmy Constantine, I would have any of these against any from the last twenty years

Very difficult to say, the game has changed so much.

Steve Taylor won a golden boot but he probably wouldn't even get a game every week these days - see players like Michael Owen, Robert Earnshaw and Adam Le Fondre.

Dales greatest No.9's on 18:18 - Aug 21 with 4933 viewsThe_DJ

Dales greatest No.9's on 18:07 - Aug 21 by 442Dale

Very difficult to say, the game has changed so much.

Steve Taylor won a golden boot but he probably wouldn't even get a game every week these days - see players like Michael Owen, Robert Earnshaw and Adam Le Fondre.

Meathead for me.

Magnificent season winning the golden boot in a poorish side.

Holt, Lambert , Alfie , Dagnall all top class.
Dales greatest No.9's on 18:22 - Aug 21 with 4924 viewsArthurDaley

Dales greatest No.9's on 13:54 - Aug 21 by Yorkshire_Dale

No mention of Vernon Allatt........absolute mustard!

Allways brings a tear to my eye when any body mentions Vernon.

How about Bert Lister in the top 5.

A large VAT Dave

Dales greatest No.9's on 18:40 - Aug 21 with 4899 viewsSuddenLad

Terry Melling, Alf Arrowsmith, Joe Fletcher, Leo Skeete, and a whole rake of others............

And mentioning Vernon Allatt whilst I am still eating is unacceptable.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024