Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Podcasts 19:33 - Oct 17 with 9453 viewsstuabd

I've found myself spending more and more time in my car lately because of work.

Can anyone recommend any good, preferably free, podcasts to download. I've tried audiobooks but they send me to sleep which isn't the best thing when driving.

Cheers.
Podcasts on 10:17 - Oct 20 with 2603 viewsTacticalR

Podcasts on 03:35 - Oct 20 by QPR_ARG

The only podcast about Argentine football that is completely in English.

The fantastically named Hand of Pod! I used to be one of the hosts. Can't do it anymore for work reasons (too busy!)

But if you want to discover Argentine football in your language...then that's the best way to start:

http://handofpod.wordpress.com/

I did listen to some of your podcasts last year, but I had to give up for several reasons:

1) I know so little about Argentinian domestic football that I found it very hard to get into the details.
2) There doesn't seem to be any decent TV highlights of Argentinian football available, so it's very difficult to get an idea of who the players you are talking about are. There was one show I saw, but that was very poor quality. It's the one where they interview the players/manager after the game and for some reason there is always a girl in team colours standing in the background. It might sound good but it's actually a bit weird.
3) There's an Australian guy who talks over everyone else
4) There is a lot of noise in the background

Air hostess clique

Podcasts on 02:31 - Oct 21 with 2583 viewsQPR_ARG

Podcasts on 10:17 - Oct 20 by TacticalR

I did listen to some of your podcasts last year, but I had to give up for several reasons:

1) I know so little about Argentinian domestic football that I found it very hard to get into the details.
2) There doesn't seem to be any decent TV highlights of Argentinian football available, so it's very difficult to get an idea of who the players you are talking about are. There was one show I saw, but that was very poor quality. It's the one where they interview the players/manager after the game and for some reason there is always a girl in team colours standing in the background. It might sound good but it's actually a bit weird.
3) There's an Australian guy who talks over everyone else
4) There is a lot of noise in the background

1. Understandable.

2. That's a shame. Streams for every match are widely available as football is free for all here (every match goes on free-to-air TV).

3. Hahaha! He went back to Australia. It wasn't because he was annoying or anything like that, it's just that he had a powerful voice.

4. That's because we can't afford a studio. We often recorded on a roof-top and we also had a dog (named Zombie), who would get involved in the recordings too.
Podcasts on 12:28 - Oct 22 with 2556 viewsTacticalR

Podcasts on 02:31 - Oct 21 by QPR_ARG

1. Understandable.

2. That's a shame. Streams for every match are widely available as football is free for all here (every match goes on free-to-air TV).

3. Hahaha! He went back to Australia. It wasn't because he was annoying or anything like that, it's just that he had a powerful voice.

4. That's because we can't afford a studio. We often recorded on a roof-top and we also had a dog (named Zombie), who would get involved in the recordings too.

Zombie! Yes, I remember him. What is it with dogs in South America? Tim Vickery's broadcasts from Brazil are also punctuated by his dog yapping away.

Air hostess clique

Podcasts on 11:21 - Oct 10 with 2428 viewslondonscottish

I've found some more.

Bu the far the most fun this week and last has been That Peter Crouch Podcast. I've listened to the first six and they were genuinely funny. Just listened to today's on Tactics. Amongst other things he talks about getting on the mike at the Haven Arms in Ealing "refreshed" after the playoff final and singing the Zamora song. He's also covered the team bus, the dressing room, nights out, his England playing days and one other I can't remember.

I've also been picking through some interesting people on Desert Island Discs. Did David Badiel yesterday and have got David Byrne, Levi Roots, Noel Gallagher, Bradley Wiggins, Charlie Brooker and Ray Winstone lined up. There are HUNDREDS of them,

And when I'm up for it the BBC History Extra pod had been telling me loads of stuff I didn't know about history UK and elsewhere.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Podcasts on 11:39 - Oct 10 with 2400 viewspeejaybee

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/30/the-50-best-podcasts-of-201

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

Podcasts on 11:44 - Oct 10 with 2392 viewsRBlock

Anyone else started listening to 'That Peter Crouch Podcast'? Really good fun, very laid back, quality insights into life as a professional footballer, and Crouchy unsurprisingly comes across as a right laugh.
Podcasts on 11:50 - Oct 10 with 2375 viewslondonscottish

Podcasts on 11:44 - Oct 10 by RBlock

Anyone else started listening to 'That Peter Crouch Podcast'? Really good fun, very laid back, quality insights into life as a professional footballer, and Crouchy unsurprisingly comes across as a right laugh.

Found it last week and have hoovered up all six. I even put it on ahead of the QPR Pod this morning which I'd never normally do.

Podcasts on 11:59 - Oct 10 with 2361 viewsAntti_Heinola

As others have said, The Bugle is really top notch.
BBC Documentaries are really good too - cover all kinds of thingsm worth spooling through and picking out what sounds interesting. They do one called 'Where are you going?' and it's a reporter just asking people in a specific city where they're going, and you get incredible stories popping up out of nothing, in amongst the 'just off to work' type stuff.
Horne Section Podcast - they've only done 8, but they're wonderful.

Bare bones.

Login to get fewer ads

Podcasts on 12:02 - Oct 10 with 2357 viewsboysfromthebush

The Magic Sponge (although not produced anymore) is a good listen and still available to download. Kevin Gallen makes an appearance two or 3 times at the start of the series. Some interesting guests (especially Graham Stack!)

Flintoff, Savage and the ping pong guy is also one of my favourites! Flintoff comes across really well, that t**t Savage not so much.
Podcasts on 12:59 - Oct 10 with 2297 viewsrobith

I saw the live recording of The Bugle at End of the Road festival, and it was painfully unfunny so have swerved any further contact with it
Podcasts on 14:38 - Oct 10 with 2244 viewsNW5Hoop

Podcasts on 22:52 - Oct 17 by BrianMcCarthy

Hadn't heard about The Word going bust. Was looking for a copy today...

Went out of business years ago.
Mark Ellen and David Hepworth still do the Word in Your Ear podcast.
And the other member of the Word triumvirate, Andrew Harrison, hosts the Bigmouth podcast (to which I am an occasional contributor).
Podcasts on 14:42 - Oct 10 with 2240 viewsPhildo

Smershpod - which sort of take the pish out of all the Bond films and a few others (they just did the great escape) is quite good and I also find the cinemile easy to listen to- its an Irish couple in London who go to the cinema and discuss the film on the way home.
Podcasts on 15:21 - Oct 10 with 2205 viewsE17hoop

Podcasts on 14:42 - Oct 10 by Phildo

Smershpod - which sort of take the pish out of all the Bond films and a few others (they just did the great escape) is quite good and I also find the cinemile easy to listen to- its an Irish couple in London who go to the cinema and discuss the film on the way home.

Smershpod is brilliant.

Adam Buxton's podcast is always good entertainment.
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History is a series of 6-8 hour epics which interrogate historical events. The WW! series was immense.
Malcolm Gladwell's Revisionist History is informative and challenging.
The James O'Brien Unfiltered series was great at the start, although they became a bit samey over time.
Running Commentary is excellent for runners
Untold: The Daniel Morgan murder is astonishing. A new episode has just landed.
S-Town, a spin off drom This American Life is a great listen.

It's always noisiest at the shallow end
Poll: When you go to QPR games, what do you think will happen?

Podcasts on 15:22 - Oct 10 with 2203 viewslondonscottish

Podcasts on 12:02 - Oct 10 by boysfromthebush

The Magic Sponge (although not produced anymore) is a good listen and still available to download. Kevin Gallen makes an appearance two or 3 times at the start of the series. Some interesting guests (especially Graham Stack!)

Flintoff, Savage and the ping pong guy is also one of my favourites! Flintoff comes across really well, that t**t Savage not so much.

Gallens's good on it of course but my all time favourite Magic Sponge is the Tony Warner Angelfish one.

Podcasts on 16:05 - Oct 10 with 2171 viewsdaveB

Wrestle Me is very funny.
Looks at WWF/WWE wrestlemanias but all about stories of the people involved rather than who won/lost. Is really funny
Podcasts on 16:40 - Oct 10 with 2136 viewsdubaistu

Look no further than the Bugle
Podcasts on 16:42 - Oct 10 with 2135 viewsdubaistu

Podcasts on 19:59 - Oct 18 by derbyhoop

Do you ever listen to 6Music. Available on digital radio and the internet. Should be right up your street.

R6 is class, especially with the quality of music and DJ's in this part of the world
Podcasts on 17:53 - Oct 10 with 2096 viewsqprd

if youre plugged into American sports/pop culture, the ringer network has a lot of good podcasts

the bill simmons podcast is the flagship pod on the network and is great for us sports and pop culture- he did a podcast with matt damon last week about good will hunting etc which was pretty incredible
Podcasts on 22:59 - Oct 11 with 1947 viewsKernowRanger

Couple of good BBC sport ones not mentioned -Tailenders (loosely cricket-based and can be very funny) and The Cut (Golf)
Podcasts on 10:46 - Oct 12 with 1901 views1MoreBrightonR

As mentioned:
Football Weekly
This American Life
Desert Island Discs

Not mentioned:
The Tip Off is good....journalists dexcribing how they came about really well known big stories/scandals
RadioLab can be good
Grenfell Tower Podcast - a 20 minute report each day from the inquiry. Its a bit brutal though so be warned...i'm a bit of a glutton for punishment on that one.
Podcasts on 21:38 - May 24 with 1292 viewsRanger_Things

Thread revival.

Lots of good ones mentioned but to add:

Drilled podcast. Excellent series about Oil companies involvement in climate change.

Watts Occurring. Geraint Thomas and Luke Rowe. Good cycling podcast. Most recent one with Lee Dixon is very good.

Looking Sideways. Action sports and other endeavours.. Excellent if you are into surf, snowboard, skate etc

Slow Burn. 3rd series about Tupac and Biggie is very good

30 for 30
[Post edited 24 May 2020 21:50]
Podcasts on 22:04 - May 24 with 1270 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Between the Ears on Radio 3 can be good

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Podcasts on 06:52 - May 25 with 1219 viewsSimplyNico

Podcasts on 11:44 - Oct 10 by RBlock

It's brilliant. There are even bits about QPR (including how he got legged over by Gerry Francis on signing with us - which he laughs about now). Only downside is that Redknapp inevitably crops up.
Podcasts on 09:46 - May 25 with 1185 viewsTGRRRSSS

E17

ON the Daniel Morgan one, can you still listen?

I've read the book by Jukes and Alistair Morgan (His Brother).

Very interesting but I still get the feeling it was a personaly thing with his BP and the 2 Brothers, coupled with that dodgy Cop - Who ended up in the Nick eventually.
I still can't quite see how the Phone Hacking stuff really had anything to do with it.

Intriuingly Wensley Clarkson in his book 25 years of Murder and Mayhem: Brinks Mat, mentioned that Morgan could have been murdered for being involved in something connected to BM, but he doesnt elaborate.
Podcasts on 14:27 - May 25 with 1174 viewsGRDHoops

My current favourites;

Undr The Cosh - Hosted by ex-players/team-mates Jon Parkin and Chris Brown with their mate. Superb series of interviews with mostly ex-championship players. QPR related guests have been Clarke Carlisle (excellent 2 part pod) Clive Allen, Leon Knight (warning - he does come across a complete prick). Ian Holloway also featured on the patreon part that they offer (extra content at £2 a month).
Best interviews though are with Mark Crossley (superb Brian Clough impression/stories) , John Beresford, Matt Kilgallon (brilliant Paul Daniels story) and Kevin Campbell.

I Had Trials Once - similar format to as above but focusing on players lower down the leagues. Charlie Austin was on it last week though. Gareth Ainsworth & Daniel Nardeillo have featured also.

Quickly Kevin; Will He Score? - Brilliant 90's Football based pod hosted by Josh Widdicombe & his 2 mates. Very funny & also great interviews with players such as Paul Merson, Matt Le Tissier, Stuart Pearce & more. QPR related on there have been Iain Dowie and Bobby Gould.

One music pod I'd recommend is Blood On The Tracks hosted by Colin Murray. Real good music based fun quiz with guests from different backgrounds.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024