Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? 16:17 - Oct 21 with 15397 viewsMoonyDale

Can't see there being more to be honest, not looking forward to this one......

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 11:08 - Oct 23 with 2077 viewsTVOS1907

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 11:03 - Oct 23 by TTNYear

It doesn't leave me aghast at all, although I'll give you the worried bit.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/play+a+straight+bat

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 11:25 - Oct 23 with 2043 viewsMoonyDale

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 23:25 - Oct 22 by KenBoon

I'm not so much staying away in some protest. I'm not happy at how we almost tore ourselves apart last season but if my finances this year were the same as last year i'd probably have gone to all the home games this season. Simple fact is they're not and I don't feel the urge to put Football at the top of my priorities. I'm not about to sell a load of toss on ebay (wish I had Now 4 on CD) just to fund going to Football. Going to The Dale isn't more important than paying bills or buying coffee. If the club think that then they're mistaken and falling attendances are evidence of it. But still 'the loyal 2000' are supposedly the savior of the club and there's little to no attempt to grow those numbers. The attendances aren't only declining because of relegation. They're going down because nobody is encouraging locals to attend so clubs like Man City venture further and further onto our patch and without any marketing challenge from us.

As the starter of this thread I have read with interest the views expressed, I myself have pondered the idea of not attending tonight but I also know that at the last minute I will set off and take my place in the sandy. Maybe I am just the kind of fan the club rely upon to always be here no matter what, financially it doesn't cause me to much trouble attending, and as much as the home form is crap to say the least I live in hope that we will suddenly burst into life and everything will feel good again. As for goings on behind the scenes and the seeming lack of ambition and inability to promote the club and get people through the turnstiles, has it ever been different ? Not that I can remember since my first game in 1968. There are things that go on behind the scenes at Spotland that shock me even after all this time, but still I wander up on match days. What would be the outcome if we all voted with our feet ? The club would die or the board would go, there are a few fans on the terraces who hear things that have gone on that never post them on here. I include myself in that, will I still be there tonight ? Yes I think I will...

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 13:16 - Oct 23 with 1985 viewsDoris

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 10:22 - Oct 23 by R17ALE

Such a sad thread where loyal fans are thinking out aloud, "why do I bother"?

It's a question that has been going through my head, and if I wasn't a season ticket holder, I probably wouldn't bother tonight either.

The whole cba attitude of the club has been gathering momentum since the debacle of the Centenary season.

Fans have warned those in authority of its danger. Those fans have been ignored and shat on by the club.

The Trust, by the way to those who have asked, offered the going rate for 2 seats on the board months ago. We haven't even had the courtesy of any reply.

And they wonder why crowds are down.

What fooking problem?

(yeah, yeah, it's him again banging on again!)

Since 2007!

*shakes fist at screen.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19955525

Interesting read R17
Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 14:10 - Oct 23 with 1943 views442Dale

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 13:16 - Oct 23 by Doris

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19955525

Interesting read R17

"We've thought long and hard and we speak all the time about 'what do fans want on their Saturday afternoon?'" explained Pilley.
"They need to feel wanted, they need to feel appreciated..."

If there was ever a time for a "This", it's this.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 14:12 - Oct 23 with 1940 viewsDaleAwaydayBot

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 14:10 - Oct 23 by 442Dale

"We've thought long and hard and we speak all the time about 'what do fans want on their Saturday afternoon?'" explained Pilley.
"They need to feel wanted, they need to feel appreciated..."

If there was ever a time for a "This", it's this.

liking his approach setting the standards for other club's like us fair play to him

After 3457 forum posts, 11 news comments & 1 match report....The Rochdale Information Robot were Born!!!

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 16:57 - Oct 23 with 1897 viewsaleanddale

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 10:51 - Oct 23 by judd

That the Trust hasn't yet had the courtesy of a reply doesn't necessarily meant that they won't get one.
I would expect that a certain protocol has to be observed in the appointment of Directors,and the vehicle to do this is through the election of nominated Directors through a general meeting - either an annual or emergency. Again, not sure on the mechanics of engineering an emergency general meeting, but surely the Trust with its' sizable shareholding could muster other like-minded shareholding fans to force an EGM with the specific aim of getting a or some Trust-linked Directors onto the main board?
Going back in time I once asked Killie why he didn't invite the Trust onto the board. His response was "over my dead body".
I get the feeling that this attitude still prevails.
Still not decided, even as a season ticket holder, whether or not to go tonight. I suppose I'll wait for the team selection to be announced via Twitter.
It really is that bad.

But out of courtesy a response acknowleding the offer would have been the right thing to do with a notification on when the offer would be considered.

Its the non communication that to me looks most worrying.
Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 17:03 - Oct 23 with 1887 viewsjudd

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 16:57 - Oct 23 by aleanddale

But out of courtesy a response acknowleding the offer would have been the right thing to do with a notification on when the offer would be considered.

Bad form, undoubtedly.

Look at how the fans think tank proposal was treated and that was the Chairman's initiative.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 17:03 - Oct 23 with 1886 viewsjudd

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 16:57 - Oct 23 by aleanddale

Bad form, undoubtedly.

Look at how the fans think tank proposal was treated and that was the Chairman's initiative.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Login to get fewer ads

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 18:21 - Oct 23 with 1838 viewsphomem

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 11:01 - Oct 23 by TVOS1907

I have to admit that I'm completely gobsmacked as to why something hasn't been done to try to boost tonight's crowd.

Perhaps some offer tied in with the Fleetwood match, for example.

It's half term in Rochdale schools, so something along the lines of "Kid a Quid" could have been tried.

How about making the 1844 Challenge a 'Half-Time Half-Term Kids Only Special'?

I know initiatives have been tried before and then dropped when they haven't worked first time, so surely something else should be tried. And then something else tried again ... and again ... and don't ever give up!!

It's an unattractive midweek fixture, so to do absolutely nothing leaves me aghast and very worried.

I have to say this lack of foresight is a continual feature
Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:08 - Oct 23 with 1775 viewsR17ALE

1458 home fans. Must be the lowest turnout this Century?

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:10 - Oct 23 with 1753 viewsKenBoon

Less than 1500 home fans during half term is tragic. If alarm bells don't start ringing now they never will.
Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:11 - Oct 23 with 1734 views442Dale

So around 1500 home fans turned up.

It's safe to say the fans on this thread are more in touch than some.

Half term, chance to run a promotion to get in the kids and families and nothing was done. There was no proper match preview on the club website. No interview with the team's manager that fans could read ahead of the game. No incentive to turn out whatsoever apart from "you're a fan, you should turn up".

And even then, on a night when there might be more kids than usual as they have no school, there's no bloody mascot on hand! Simple, basic. Not done.

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:15 - Oct 23 with 1706 viewsNewbury_Dale

Standby for a classic Dunphy rallying cry statement on the Official Site in the next 48hrs. Sorry Chris, too little too late. Hand this club over to someone who understands the importance of the paying customer. We're not fitting heating systems into Churches now, we're trying to run a football club. No fans, no club.
Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:20 - Oct 23 with 1663 viewschuckleberry

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:15 - Oct 23 by Newbury_Dale

Standby for a classic Dunphy rallying cry statement on the Official Site in the next 48hrs. Sorry Chris, too little too late. Hand this club over to someone who understands the importance of the paying customer. We're not fitting heating systems into Churches now, we're trying to run a football club. No fans, no club.

Attendance given as 1619 on BBC site.
Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:39 - Oct 23 with 1590 viewsblackpoolcol

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:20 - Oct 23 by chuckleberry

Attendance given as 1619 on BBC site.

End of the day it is television which is killing lower league football while it supports the top tier.

Tonight we have pubs showing all the games from the Champions league which is not going to help us - pay to watch league 2 or go to the pub where you are allowed to have a pint without being a criminal or even sit at home on the sofa nice and warm.

We used to only be up against champions league on "free to air" tv on a wednesday - hence why teams play on Tuesday nights, now its live matches on Monday, Tues, Weds, Thurs this week and crowbarring these football fans to Spotland (or any other game) is getting harder and harder and once it happens it becomes a regular occurance and people start to get out of the habit of going to "live" games.

Even on a Saturday we have the lunch time match which gets people into the pub and then they stay there and watch the Premier League game being shown live on some foreign channel rather than having a wander down the road to the game.

The best way to get bums on seats is succesful attractive football and until that is what is on offer they wont come flocking though the turnstiles no matter what the club do to "promote".

With my little stick of Blackpool Rock, along the promenade I'll stroll

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:41 - Oct 23 with 1569 views442Dale

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:39 - Oct 23 by blackpoolcol

End of the day it is television which is killing lower league football while it supports the top tier.

Tonight we have pubs showing all the games from the Champions league which is not going to help us - pay to watch league 2 or go to the pub where you are allowed to have a pint without being a criminal or even sit at home on the sofa nice and warm.

We used to only be up against champions league on "free to air" tv on a wednesday - hence why teams play on Tuesday nights, now its live matches on Monday, Tues, Weds, Thurs this week and crowbarring these football fans to Spotland (or any other game) is getting harder and harder and once it happens it becomes a regular occurance and people start to get out of the habit of going to "live" games.

Even on a Saturday we have the lunch time match which gets people into the pub and then they stay there and watch the Premier League game being shown live on some foreign channel rather than having a wander down the road to the game.

The best way to get bums on seats is succesful attractive football and until that is what is on offer they wont come flocking though the turnstiles no matter what the club do to "promote".

It gets harder if you don't do everything possible. That's all clubs at our level should be concerned with. Not excuses.

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:43 - Oct 23 with 1533 viewsDoris

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:41 - Oct 23 by 442Dale

It gets harder if you don't do everything possible. That's all clubs at our level should be concerned with. Not excuses.

If they do nothing its nigh on impossible.
Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:44 - Oct 23 with 1524 viewsTVOS1907

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:39 - Oct 23 by blackpoolcol

Not to be seen making any effort at all is the problem about tonight.

We've been up against Champions League football before and the crowd hasn't been so low.

For example, on the same Tuesday last season v Chesterfield, the crowd was 875 higher than tonight. That's a drop of 35.1%.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:47 - Oct 23 with 1509 viewsR17ALE

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:15 - Oct 23 by Newbury_Dale

A bit harsh I think. He has been a great Dale stalwart over many decades, and without the likes of CD, we might not have a club to support, and certainly not the ground of which we are so proud.

But, he does seem impervious at times to obvious problems in the make up of the dna of the club, like he's forgotten how the fan on the terrace thinks, which is a shame as essentially he is one of us!

And I think he sometimes listens to the wrong voices, and ignores the right voices.

Don't look at the bank balance, look at the attendances. And the mood!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 23:03 - Oct 23 with 1446 viewsD_Alien

I suspect tonight's attendance will provoke a reaction from the board, but not the one we'd expect.

It'll be a case of batten down the hatches even further.

They'll see themselves as the guardians of league football at Spotland, and with the team in a play-off place, the missing fans as a fickle bunch of nobodies.

The thoughts of Fleetwood's chairman on attracting fans to watch live football might as well be the Thoughts of Chairman Mao for all they'd understand it.

I wasn't there tonight, but I'll be there on Saturday. I hope Andy Pilley can have a chat with Chris Dunphy. If anything gets through, it'll be far more important than the result.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 23:13 - Oct 23 with 1418 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:47 - Oct 23 by R17ALE

A bit harsh I think. He has been a great Dale stalwart over many decades, and without the likes of CD, we might not have a club to support, and certainly not the ground of which we are so proud.

But, he does seem impervious at times to obvious problems in the make up of the dna of the club, like he's forgotten how the fan on the terrace thinks, which is a shame as essentially he is one of us!

And I think he sometimes listens to the wrong voices, and ignores the right voices.

Ok - I have been quiet recently re things at the club but this negativity is a bloody joke.

We pay players £50k plus a year but who the hell is running the image, commercial side, getting the fans fired up, promoting the image of the club and generally getting a spark going.

The maths is pretty easy - 100 fans paying gate and usual pie program etc will cover the cost of the above - forgetting the aditional merchendise etc. and the many other benefits thats could come from employing someone who is a proven senior manager and has expirience of marketing and primarily dealing with people!!!

I really think there is so much more that could be done and whilst I know there is work being done behind the scenes its not a part time job - it needs 100% time and attention.

Someone needs to have complete control of the marketing, commercial, publicity and general stadium running, everything from pies to pints, programs to publicity.

500 or so fans were not here tonight that may have been - had things been covered correctly and the negativity etc was not here - thats 10k plus

As ever Razz is correct BTW

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 15:22 - Oct 24 with 1233 viewsNewbury_Dale

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:47 - Oct 23 by R17ALE

Standby the original assessment, although I dont want to make it personal against CD who I dont know. My take is that the Hillcroft era masked the problems at the core of the club. If you want to give CD credit for Hillcroft then OK, but his record since tends to leave you wondering whether it wasnt a fluke or not. And did we really capitalise on the best manager we've ever had anyway ?Considering the football was exceptional for the majority of the time, attendances never really reached the level the quality deserved.

From a relative 'outsider' living 200 miles away, I ask myself where is the dynamism and creativity at this football club ? Just seems totally non-existent to me.
Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:41 - Oct 24 with 1141 viewsDoris

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:10 - Oct 23 by KenBoon

Less than 1500 home fans during half term is tragic. If alarm bells don't start ringing now they never will.

they have never listened to the trust ,they have not taken on board what is needed (from people who know) and never will .When the club uses the trust a a lifeline and uses the money it raises in a good way (not donating it but in directorships) then the fans may come back,this old boys club seems to be just that ,an old dying club.this is my opinion and no way detracts from the thoughts of this site col ok??
Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:57 - Oct 24 with 1114 viewsTTNYear

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:41 - Oct 24 by Doris

they have never listened to the trust ,they have not taken on board what is needed (from people who know) and never will .When the club uses the trust a a lifeline and uses the money it raises in a good way (not donating it but in directorships) then the fans may come back,this old boys club seems to be just that ,an old dying club.this is my opinion and no way detracts from the thoughts of this site col ok??

It's been said loads of times, but how/why do successful businessmen ignore obvious signs from a balance sheet?

That is the biggest question in this rumpus for me.

Anti-cliquism is the last refuge of the messageboard scoundrel - Copyright Dorset Dale productions

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 23:00 - Oct 24 with 1107 viewsDoris

Sub 2000 crowd for Tuesday? on 22:57 - Oct 24 by TTNYear

It's been said loads of times, but how/why do successful businessmen ignore obvious signs from a balance sheet?

That is the biggest question in this rumpus for me.

rumpus ,what a great word ,where did you get that from ,love it .I dont know the answer to your question and dont want to make aspersions to their quality as directors but something is drastically wrong .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024