Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
new york hotels non qpr 13:50 - Aug 5 with 5604 viewsenfieldargh

any one know of good inexpensive hotels in Manhatten, ideally midtown areas?

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

new york hotels non qpr on 13:56 - Aug 5 with 3835 viewskingsburyR

Casablanca near time square was ok and fairly cheap if still there.

A bit more pricey by the W Hotel is very nice and near(ish) times square!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

new york hotels non qpr on 14:02 - Aug 5 with 3827 viewsgordanoR

No sorry but one to avoid is the Hotel Carter. Just off Times Square & from experience an utter hellhole.
new york hotels non qpr on 14:03 - Aug 5 with 3825 viewsLOTR

I'm there for Xmas this year. We're booked into Element at Time Square. Never stayed there but mate of mine has and recommended it.

Then out to Brooklyn for New Years. BKLYN Ranger gave us the tip and we booked ourselves a very nice place out there.
new york hotels non qpr on 14:03 - Aug 5 with 3823 viewsGloucs_R

whats your definition of inexpensive?

Poll: Are we staying up?

new york hotels non qpr on 14:07 - Aug 5 with 3816 viewsenfieldargh

new york hotels non qpr on 14:03 - Aug 5 by Gloucs_R

whats your definition of inexpensive?

good point

ive found holiday inn 31st street £178.00 ex tax.

I think thats a good price but maybe someone ITK may have better options?

Have checked out loads of websites and anything below £200 reveiws are bloody awful.

Just wondered if anyone knows any hidden gems?

captains fantastic

new york hotels non qpr on 14:15 - Aug 5 with 3807 viewskingsburyR

Dot forget all their stealth taxes.

When we checked out we got hit with some sort of tax which bumped the bill up!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

new york hotels non qpr on 14:17 - Aug 5 with 3797 viewsTonto

We stayed over in Jersey not Manhatten. Manhatten hotels are stuidly expensive, whereas you can get a hotel within a few minutes walk fro thier metro system for a fraction of the price, and yet the journey is only 15 mins.

Also the view across the Hudson from jersey is rather good! Especially at night.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

new york hotels non qpr on 14:20 - Aug 5 with 3788 viewsKonk

Last time I was in NYC, we stayed at the Desmond Tutu Center, which sounds a bit shi t, but is a former seminary in Chelsea (I know). Not the biggest rooms by US standards, but what we’re used to in Europe. Really nice spot for breakfast/brunch, just across the street, we walked everywhere pretty much in Manhattan, and only used public transport of cabs when spending time in Brooklyn. The exchange rate was better, but we got our room for something like £100 per night for this spot in April, which I was pretty stunned by at the time. No pool, gym, choice of restaurants etc, but we had a very comfortable room, nice staff etc and it was a good location for what we wanted. Previously, I’ve stayed at Radio City apartments, which was fine too.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Login to get fewer ads

new york hotels non qpr on 14:31 - Aug 5 with 3774 viewsrobith

Not really a hotel but I loved Bed and Coffee in the East Village.

Last time I was there I stayed in a guest house near Prospect Park. Was awesome, owner was a proper Brooklynite gave us loads of great tips, amazing area, so well connected. Brooklyn >>>> Manhatten (though I am a bit of a hipster I guess
new york hotels non qpr on 14:37 - Aug 5 with 3764 viewsBostonR

I visit and work in the US on a regular basis. If you want a no frills, excellent quality and the best location I would highly recommend the Jewel Facing Rockfeller Centre,11 West 51 Street, New York City, NY 10019 (Manhattan) www.thejewelny.com
new york hotels non qpr on 14:39 - Aug 5 with 3760 viewsKonk

new york hotels non qpr on 14:31 - Aug 5 by robith

Not really a hotel but I loved Bed and Coffee in the East Village.

Last time I was there I stayed in a guest house near Prospect Park. Was awesome, owner was a proper Brooklynite gave us loads of great tips, amazing area, so well connected. Brooklyn >>>> Manhatten (though I am a bit of a hipster I guess

We wanted to stay in Brooklyn, but couldn’t find anything to suit our budget that wasn’t either a khazi or in the wrong bit of Brooklyn, but yeah, I thought our days/nights in Brooklyn on the pop were miles better than drinking in Manhattan; but that’s because I like to drink in places where the punters sport badly doodled tattoos, beards and big glasses.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

new york hotels non qpr on 14:57 - Aug 5 with 3742 viewsoohmewhisky

new york hotels non qpr on 14:39 - Aug 5 by Konk

We wanted to stay in Brooklyn, but couldn’t find anything to suit our budget that wasn’t either a khazi or in the wrong bit of Brooklyn, but yeah, I thought our days/nights in Brooklyn on the pop were miles better than drinking in Manhattan; but that’s because I like to drink in places where the punters sport badly doodled tattoos, beards and big glasses.

About 7 or 8 years ago I stayed at the Herald Square Hotel for 4 nights. It was basic but clean, big bed, TV, safe, and pretty cheap for Manhattan.

http://www.heraldnyc.com/

Obviously that was a few years ago, but at the time there wasn't anything better for price and location - It's walking distance from Times Square, Empire state building etc.
new york hotels non qpr on 16:45 - Aug 5 with 3695 viewsgjc104

We stayed here....

http://www.expedia.co.uk/New-York-Hotels-Distrikt-Hotel-New-York-City.h2917525.H
new york hotels non qpr on 18:51 - Aug 5 with 3639 viewsted_hendrix

I've stopped at the Amsterdam Court Hotel 226 West 50th Street about 5 times a couple of times with me lad but not the missus, It's only a 3 star budget hotel but pretty good and local to all the usual NYC things (5-10 minutes from the blues club-Times Square etc etc).
Been a few years since I've been but it was always o.k. hence why I always went back there, only used NYC as a stopover when flying from England to bum around the Southern states so never stopped more than a couple of nights.

Take a walk on the wild side mate.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

new york hotels non qpr on 19:06 - Aug 5 with 3630 viewsWarfieldHoop

I can recommend the InterContinental Barclay on East 48th. About a ten minute walk from Time Square.
new york hotels non qpr on 19:22 - Aug 5 with 3623 viewsenfieldargh

new york hotels non qpr on 18:51 - Aug 5 by ted_hendrix

I've stopped at the Amsterdam Court Hotel 226 West 50th Street about 5 times a couple of times with me lad but not the missus, It's only a 3 star budget hotel but pretty good and local to all the usual NYC things (5-10 minutes from the blues club-Times Square etc etc).
Been a few years since I've been but it was always o.k. hence why I always went back there, only used NYC as a stopover when flying from England to bum around the Southern states so never stopped more than a couple of nights.

Take a walk on the wild side mate.

thanks Ted, sadly thats fully booked for the dates I need

Keep em coming guys as I'm checking them all out and thanks for everyones contribution....greatly appreciated.

Will let you know my findings

captains fantastic

new york hotels non qpr on 20:39 - Aug 5 with 3586 viewsBrazilNutR

I stayed at the BEST WESTERN PLUS PRESIDENT HOTEL (TIMES SQUARE), which is right on time square, although personally I wouldn't stay so near Time Square again, as its just too touristy. But if thats what your after, this hotel was fine for me... think it was a reasonable deal on booking.com and is right near the Metro..so easy to get about.
new york hotels non qpr on 20:40 - Aug 5 with 3583 viewsChinajohn

Hi G,

Avoid the Gershwin hotel near Flat Iron, but do pop into DJ Reynolds Bar for a beer or ten not that I like alcohol?!?!?

Take care mate!
new york hotels non qpr on 20:44 - Aug 5 with 3577 viewsenfieldargh

new york hotels non qpr on 20:40 - Aug 5 by Chinajohn

Hi G,

Avoid the Gershwin hotel near Flat Iron, but do pop into DJ Reynolds Bar for a beer or ten not that I like alcohol?!?!?

Take care mate!

your local game saturday, you going?

captains fantastic

new york hotels non qpr on 20:46 - Aug 5 with 3575 viewskensalriser

If you're there for more than a few nights, try looking for a B&B or a private let apartment.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

new york hotels non qpr on 20:49 - Aug 5 with 3569 viewsChinajohn

new york hotels non qpr on 20:44 - Aug 5 by enfieldargh

your local game saturday, you going?

Moved even further Up North! Now in Newton Aycliffe (County Durham) so Middlesbrough is my local one now.
new york hotels non qpr on 21:40 - Aug 5 with 3543 viewscalders

I stayed at the Hyatt regency jersey. Right On Hudson river opposite twin towers site, fantastic views of manhattan and up the Hudson river, lovely safe area plenty of bars delis restaurants but without manhattan madness and prices. subway and water taxis right next door to hotel, you can be in manhattan in minutes and great to come back to when you've had enough. Paid about $150 on price line.
new york hotels non qpr on 01:49 - Aug 6 with 3485 viewsBklynRanger

To be honest I never have a set answer for this because the only rule of thumb is that New York hotels are obscenely overpriced.

I can't find my bookmark for LOTR's hotel, but that looked like a good option. Yes, the Carter is a criminally bad fleapit - my wife can attest to that. :) Times Square itself is really not very pleasant. Good areas to stay are the East side in the 50s, West and East Village, Chelscum, the Upper West Side right up to about 109th Sts. Also Astoria in Queens if there's anything there. The Jersey City recommendations are solid ones, just check what time the PATH train stops because that's how you're getting home more or less - then again the time difference is heavily in favour of afternoon drinking anyway, and I know they run to pretty late. Brooklyn has some great areas too of course, it's just that most people I know who stay here don't bother with hotels (these people may also be known as miserable back-spasm-causing pikey kunts ...:)

Here's a site for hiring apartments if you want to go that way - defintely worth exploring. If you want advice on an area PM me or just reply to this. NYC recently had some kind of legal declaration against subletting apartments for this purpose, but either it hasn't come into effect or everyone's ignored it:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/New-York--NY

or try Craigslist:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/vac/
[Post edited 6 Aug 2013 1:57]
(No subject) (n/t) on 05:27 - Aug 6 with 3447 viewsLOTR

new york hotels non qpr on 01:49 - Aug 6 by BklynRanger

To be honest I never have a set answer for this because the only rule of thumb is that New York hotels are obscenely overpriced.

I can't find my bookmark for LOTR's hotel, but that looked like a good option. Yes, the Carter is a criminally bad fleapit - my wife can attest to that. :) Times Square itself is really not very pleasant. Good areas to stay are the East side in the 50s, West and East Village, Chelscum, the Upper West Side right up to about 109th Sts. Also Astoria in Queens if there's anything there. The Jersey City recommendations are solid ones, just check what time the PATH train stops because that's how you're getting home more or less - then again the time difference is heavily in favour of afternoon drinking anyway, and I know they run to pretty late. Brooklyn has some great areas too of course, it's just that most people I know who stay here don't bother with hotels (these people may also be known as miserable back-spasm-causing pikey kunts ...:)

Here's a site for hiring apartments if you want to go that way - defintely worth exploring. If you want advice on an area PM me or just reply to this. NYC recently had some kind of legal declaration against subletting apartments for this purpose, but either it hasn't come into effect or everyone's ignored it:

https://www.airbnb.com/s/New-York--NY

or try Craigslist:

http://newyork.craigslist.org/vac/
[Post edited 6 Aug 2013 1:57]

new york hotels non qpr on 10:54 - Aug 6 with 3389 viewsenfieldargh

Brilliant, thanks guys, booked flights so now need to find a good place to stay. Its for my son and his g/f. They want to see the sights and party the night through(something young people do apparently) so wanted somewhere they can get back to easily at 4AM in the morning!!!

Jersey side looks a good option but not sure about them getting back in the early hours. In London its not a problem but New York being strangers just have a few causes for concern

captains fantastic

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024