Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New signing to be announced 09:41 - Oct 23 with 11626 viewsUruguayanRanger

@IJTaylor81: Harry Redknapp is set to bolster his squad with the addition of a new signing today ... keep them peeled to @OfficialQPR #QPR
New signing to be announced on 11:15 - Oct 23 with 3676 viewsDylanP

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11711/8986758/?utm_medium=facebook&utm_s

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

New signing to be announced on 11:23 - Oct 23 with 3639 viewsBrianMcCarthy

New signing to be announced on 10:31 - Oct 23 by RblockPrior

harry has obv seen something he like in him, 4 cb now with Hill Onouha, Dunne, with Onouha and Hill able to fill in at right and left back respectivly

Not forgetting Max Ehmer.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

New signing to be announced on 11:29 - Oct 23 with 3605 viewswombat

New signing to be announced on 11:23 - Oct 23 by BrianMcCarthy

Not forgetting Max Ehmer.

maybe harrys thinking of changing things around at the back and going with 3 centre halfs and play wing backs

6ft 5 ouch him and dunne would take some shifting at corners thats for sure

Poll: which is your favouite foot

New signing to be announced on 11:40 - Oct 23 with 3560 viewsrichranger

Here is an interesting interview with Oguchi Onyewu.
New signing to be announced on 11:55 - Oct 23 with 3498 viewsBrianMcCarthy

http://espnfc.com/news/story?id=788029&cc=5739

I like!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

New signing to be announced on 12:08 - Oct 23 with 3463 viewsrsonist

Physicality aside not the most convincing defender but at this level he certainly ought to be an asset.

But in all honesty he's here as cover now and will only be further away from the first team once Onuoha's fit. Could we not have just given Ehmer a go if need be...?
New signing to be announced on 12:12 - Oct 23 with 3442 viewsA40Bosh

New signing to be announced on 12:08 - Oct 23 by rsonist

Physicality aside not the most convincing defender but at this level he certainly ought to be an asset.

But in all honesty he's here as cover now and will only be further away from the first team once Onuoha's fit. Could we not have just given Ehmer a go if need be...?

I suppose it is low risk, to add experienced back up behind the other three for the long haul. I imagine a free agent so no transfer fee and due to his knee problems probably a sensible wage and contract structure.

We will have to wait and see if he challenges anyone for the starting berth or at least is a regular on the bench to cover injuries etc.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

New signing to be announced on 12:50 - Oct 23 with 3338 viewsjonno

New signing to be announced on 12:12 - Oct 23 by A40Bosh

I suppose it is low risk, to add experienced back up behind the other three for the long haul. I imagine a free agent so no transfer fee and due to his knee problems probably a sensible wage and contract structure.

We will have to wait and see if he challenges anyone for the starting berth or at least is a regular on the bench to cover injuries etc.

I can see him being used against sides where they have a big thug playing up front.
Login to get fewer ads

New signing to be announced on 13:30 - Oct 23 with 3204 viewssimmo

New signing to be announced on 11:40 - Oct 23 by richranger

Here is an interesting interview with Oguchi Onyewu.

Anybody that goes toe to toe with Zlatan has to be one tough SOB!

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

New signing to be announced on 14:12 - Oct 23 with 3092 viewsadhoc_qpr

Another experienced body in a position we needed a bit more depth, bit of a no brainer signing for me just like Chevanton.
New signing to be announced on 14:17 - Oct 23 with 3081 viewsDylanP

Agree that it seems like a good move. Hill and Dunne are critical to the side, but neither are young. There is always a chance that one or the other will get injured so its better to get cover in now, than wait until it happens. Of course, I hope it doesn't, but if it does then we are better prepared.

New signing to be announced on 15:18 - Oct 23 with 2986 viewsBklynRanger

He should be a good back-up signing at this level at least.

Will give Hill, Dunne and Nedum a bit more competition than Ehmer, no offence to him at all.

He seems to have had his most stable period 3 or 4 years ago now in Belgium and bounced around since which isn't good but at least he's been looked at for a few weeks in training.

Speaks 5 languages according to wiki. Hopefully an entertaining signing.
New signing to be announced on 16:03 - Oct 23 with 2882 viewsessextaxiboy

New signing to be announced on 12:50 - Oct 23 by jonno

I can see him being used against sides where they have a big thug playing up front.

Hopefully kick the sh*t out of Grant Holt
New signing to be announced on 19:45 - Oct 23 with 2706 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

Onyewu spent last season on loan at Malaga, with an option for them to buy him, at the end of the loan. He played only 9 games there.

I have a Twitter acquaintance, who is a Malaga season ticket holder and I've just asked what he could tell me about this guy. The answer came back:

" The less the better. Not very good ... being polite."

I'm not making any judgement - I'm just telling you what I heard!
New signing to be announced on 20:38 - Oct 23 with 2623 viewsDylanP

New signing to be announced on 19:45 - Oct 23 by OnlyHereForTheNiko

Onyewu spent last season on loan at Malaga, with an option for them to buy him, at the end of the loan. He played only 9 games there.

I have a Twitter acquaintance, who is a Malaga season ticket holder and I've just asked what he could tell me about this guy. The answer came back:

" The less the better. Not very good ... being polite."

I'm not making any judgement - I'm just telling you what I heard!

I asked a friend at work who follows the US team about this guy and he also wasn't impressed. He described him as a big beast who gets broken down too easily. He also said that Onyewu has played as a right back for the US squad. From his size, I had assumed he was back-up for our CBs. If he is primarily back-up to Simpson and Onuoha, who can also back-up Hill and Dunne, that makes even more sense.

I am not actually worried about the the negative reports. We are bringing him in to be back-up on a Championship team -- not the Champions League and not the national side. If he can fulfil that role, surrounded by a very solid defense and midfield, then we are golden. Anything above and beyond that is bonus.

New signing to be announced on 20:49 - Oct 23 with 2516 viewsrsonist

Yes, from what I can see you'll do well to find a supporter of one of his previous clubs with anything good to say about him (save Americans talking about the Confederations cup many moons ago).

That being said you'd think he can surely fill in at Championship level for a while...
New signing to be announced on 20:57 - Oct 23 with 2488 viewsOnlyHereForTheNiko

And it appears that the initial agreement is only for 3 months, according to this:

http://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/football-news-oguchi-onyewu-signs-three-month
New signing to be announced on 21:02 - Oct 23 with 2475 viewsDylanP

New signing to be announced on 20:49 - Oct 23 by rsonist

Yes, from what I can see you'll do well to find a supporter of one of his previous clubs with anything good to say about him (save Americans talking about the Confederations cup many moons ago).

That being said you'd think he can surely fill in at Championship level for a while...

He has 68 caps for the US, so he can't be that bad (well .. he can, I suppose .. the US are pretty bad.)

From his Wikipedia page I just learned that he grew up just down the road from where I live. He is the second tallest player to ever play for the US squad. he also played 11 games for Newcastle.

New signing to be announced on 13:36 - Oct 24 with 2219 viewspomanjou

New signing to be announced on 21:02 - Oct 23 by DylanP

He has 68 caps for the US, so he can't be that bad (well .. he can, I suppose .. the US are pretty bad.)

From his Wikipedia page I just learned that he grew up just down the road from where I live. He is the second tallest player to ever play for the US squad. he also played 11 games for Newcastle.

USA are currently rated ranked 6 places above Russia and 8 places above France, in the World. How bad is that Dylan?

1 Spain 1513 0 Equal
2 Germany 1311 1 Up
3 Argentina 1266 -1 Down
4 Colombia 1178 1 Up
5 Belgium 1175 1 Up
6 Uruguay 1164 1 Up
7 Switzerland 1138 7 Up
8 Netherlands 1136 1 Up
8 Italy 1136 -4 Down

10 ENGLAND 1080 7 Up

11 Brazil 1078 -3 Down
12 Chile 1051 4 Up

13 USA 1040 0 Equal

14 Portugal 1036 -3 Down
15 Greece 983 -3 Down
16 Bosnia-Herzegovina 925 2 Up
17 Côte d'Ivoire 917 2 Up
18 Croatia 901 -8 Down
19 Russia 874 -4 Down
20 Ukraine 871 6 Up
21 France 870 4 Up
22 Ecuador 862 -2 Down
23 Ghana 860 1 Up
24 Mexico 854 -3 Down
25 Sweden 850 -3 Down
26 Denmark 824 -3 Down
27 Czech Republic 783 5 Up
28 Serbia 778 15 Up
29 Romania 767 2 Up
30 Slovenia 752 -1 Down

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

New signing to be announced on 13:41 - Oct 24 with 2201 viewsUruguayanRanger

New signing to be announced on 13:36 - Oct 24 by pomanjou

USA are currently rated ranked 6 places above Russia and 8 places above France, in the World. How bad is that Dylan?

1 Spain 1513 0 Equal
2 Germany 1311 1 Up
3 Argentina 1266 -1 Down
4 Colombia 1178 1 Up
5 Belgium 1175 1 Up
6 Uruguay 1164 1 Up
7 Switzerland 1138 7 Up
8 Netherlands 1136 1 Up
8 Italy 1136 -4 Down

10 ENGLAND 1080 7 Up

11 Brazil 1078 -3 Down
12 Chile 1051 4 Up

13 USA 1040 0 Equal

14 Portugal 1036 -3 Down
15 Greece 983 -3 Down
18 Croatia 901 -8 Down
19 Russia 874 -4 Down
20 Ukraine 871 6 Up
21 France 870 4 Up
22 Ecuador 862 -2 Down
23 Ghana 860 1 Up
24 Mexico 854 -3 Down
25 Sweden 850 -3 Down
26 Denmark 824 -3 Down
28 Serbia 778 15 Up
29 Romania 767 2 Up
30 Slovenia 752 -1 Down

Let's not forget that these rankings are based on games played thoughout the year and the USA do play against teams like Jamaica and Grenada
New signing to be announced on 14:02 - Oct 24 with 2156 viewsDylanP

New signing to be announced on 13:36 - Oct 24 by pomanjou

1 Spain 1513 0 Equal
2 Germany 1311 1 Up
3 Argentina 1266 -1 Down
4 Colombia 1178 1 Up
5 Belgium 1175 1 Up
6 Uruguay 1164 1 Up
7 Switzerland 1138 7 Up
8 Netherlands 1136 1 Up
8 Italy 1136 -4 Down

10 ENGLAND 1080 7 Up

11 Brazil 1078 -3 Down
12 Chile 1051 4 Up

13 USA 1040 0 Equal

14 Portugal 1036 -3 Down
15 Greece 983 -3 Down
18 Croatia 901 -8 Down
19 Russia 874 -4 Down
20 Ukraine 871 6 Up
21 France 870 4 Up
22 Ecuador 862 -2 Down
23 Ghana 860 1 Up
24 Mexico 854 -3 Down
25 Sweden 850 -3 Down
26 Denmark 824 -3 Down
28 Serbia 778 15 Up
29 Romania 767 2 Up
30 Slovenia 752 -1 Down

Any correlation between the FIFA rankings and quality of a national team is purely accidental.

Brazil are currently everyones favourite to win the World cut but there are 10 teams ranked higher than Brazil. And I doubt there are very many people who believe that Switzerland are a better team than Brazil, Holland, Italy or Portugal. If England were going to play Columbia (ranked #4) or Brazil (ranked #11), who would you prefer? USA(ranked #13) or Portugal (ranked # 14), who would you prefer? etc.

New signing to be announced on 19:42 - Oct 24 with 2029 viewspomanjou

New signing to be announced on 14:02 - Oct 24 by DylanP

Any correlation between the FIFA rankings and quality of a national team is purely accidental.

Brazil are currently everyones favourite to win the World cut but there are 10 teams ranked higher than Brazil. And I doubt there are very many people who believe that Switzerland are a better team than Brazil, Holland, Italy or Portugal. If England were going to play Columbia (ranked #4) or Brazil (ranked #11), who would you prefer? USA(ranked #13) or Portugal (ranked # 14), who would you prefer? etc.

Whilst I recognise your view the rankings reflect weighted performances over four years with particular stress laid on the current year. Brazil are favourites not only because they are a good team (but maybe not currently the best) but because they are playing 'at home', which statistically makes them almost certain to win. However you play it, USA at 13th in the world, are must surely be much better than 'pretty bad' as you describe them.

Rankings.

The basic logic of these calculations is simple: any team that does well in world football wins points which enable it to climb the world ranking.

A team’s total number of points over a four-year period is determined by adding:

· the average number of points gained from matches during the past 12 months;
and

· the average number of points gained from matches older than 12 months (depreciates yearly).

Calculation of points for a single match

The number of points that can be won in a match depends on the following factors:

- Was the match won or drawn? (M)

- How important was the match (ranging from a friendly match to a FIFA World Cupâ„¢ match)? (I)

- How strong was the opposing team in terms of ranking position and the confederation to which they belong? (T and C)

These factors are brought together in the following formula to ascertain the total number of points (P).

P = M x I x T x C

The following criteria apply to the calculation of points:

M: Points for match result

Teams gain 3 points for a victory, 1 point for a draw and 0 points for a defeat. In a penalty shoot-out, the winning team gains 2 points and the losing team gains 1 point.

I: Importance of match

Friendly match (including small competitions): I = 1.0

FIFA World Cupâ„¢ qualifier or confederation-level qualifier: I = 2.5

Confederation-level final competition or FIFA Confederations Cup: I = 3.0

FIFA World Cupâ„¢ final competition: I = 4.0

T: Strength of opposing team

The strength of the opponents is based on the formula: 200 — the ranking position of the opponents
As an exception to this formula, the team at the top of the ranking is always assigned the value 200 and the teams ranked 150th and below are assigned a minimum value of 50. The ranking position is taken from the opponents’ ranking in the most recently published FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking.

C: Strength of confederation

When calculating matches between teams from different confederations, the mean value of the confederations to which the two competing teams belong is used. The strength of a confederation is calculated on the basis of the number of victories by that confederation at the last three FIFA World Cupâ„¢ competitions (see following page). Their values are as follows:

UEFA/CONMEBOL 1.00 CONCACAF 0.88
AFC/CAF 0.86 OFC 0.85

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

New signing to be announced on 20:49 - Oct 24 with 1964 viewsDylanP

New signing to be announced on 19:42 - Oct 24 by pomanjou

Whilst I recognise your view the rankings reflect weighted performances over four years with particular stress laid on the current year. Brazil are favourites not only because they are a good team (but maybe not currently the best) but because they are playing 'at home', which statistically makes them almost certain to win. However you play it, USA at 13th in the world, are must surely be much better than 'pretty bad' as you describe them.

Rankings.

The basic logic of these calculations is simple: any team that does well in world football wins points which enable it to climb the world ranking.

A team’s total number of points over a four-year period is determined by adding:

· the average number of points gained from matches during the past 12 months;
and

· the average number of points gained from matches older than 12 months (depreciates yearly).

Calculation of points for a single match

The number of points that can be won in a match depends on the following factors:

- Was the match won or drawn? (M)

- How important was the match (ranging from a friendly match to a FIFA World Cupâ„¢ match)? (I)

- How strong was the opposing team in terms of ranking position and the confederation to which they belong? (T and C)

These factors are brought together in the following formula to ascertain the total number of points (P).

P = M x I x T x C

The following criteria apply to the calculation of points:

M: Points for match result

Teams gain 3 points for a victory, 1 point for a draw and 0 points for a defeat. In a penalty shoot-out, the winning team gains 2 points and the losing team gains 1 point.

I: Importance of match

Friendly match (including small competitions): I = 1.0

FIFA World Cupâ„¢ qualifier or confederation-level qualifier: I = 2.5

Confederation-level final competition or FIFA Confederations Cup: I = 3.0

FIFA World Cupâ„¢ final competition: I = 4.0

T: Strength of opposing team

The strength of the opponents is based on the formula: 200 — the ranking position of the opponents
As an exception to this formula, the team at the top of the ranking is always assigned the value 200 and the teams ranked 150th and below are assigned a minimum value of 50. The ranking position is taken from the opponents’ ranking in the most recently published FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking.

C: Strength of confederation

When calculating matches between teams from different confederations, the mean value of the confederations to which the two competing teams belong is used. The strength of a confederation is calculated on the basis of the number of victories by that confederation at the last three FIFA World Cupâ„¢ competitions (see following page). Their values are as follows:

UEFA/CONMEBOL 1.00 CONCACAF 0.88
AFC/CAF 0.86 OFC 0.85

I was initially just kidding about the quality of the USA. Having said that, the FIFA rankings are meaningless. The rankings are based on recent results. The USA has played teams like Jamaica, Guatemala, Antingua, etc. Almost every one of their recent games has been against minnows of the footballing world. In their last 6 games they won 4, drew 1 and lost 1. Generally, their toughest regional opponents are Mexico (who you will notice are ranked 24th). The rankings act as though a game against Spain is virtually the same as a game against Trinadad and Tobago. It isn't. Playing European Championships that include Holland, Spain, Genrmany, Portugal, France, etc. is not the same as playing CONCACAF championships against Costa Rica, Honduras, Mexico, Panama, and Jamaica. When those are the only teams you play, the results are bound to be inflated.

New signing to be announced on 01:40 - Oct 25 with 1892 viewsNorthernr

Things I've learnt today - don't Google image this guy while sitting in crowded airport terminals.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024