Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are Results all that matter this season? 15:44 - Dec 1 with 6262 viewsqprewan

Yes I know we lost yesterday but still nearly all of us would have taken our current league position at the start of the season and if we get 2 home wins this week, which we should do, then we will be right back in there. And yet at half time yesterday when we were winning the game the general consensus was that we had been bloody awfull. In fact in the majority of the matches in what lets be honest is a pretty poor league I have gone away frustrated by our inability or unwillingness to go out and dominate games and create lots of chances. Millwall was perhaps the clearest example of this but there have been many others - yesterday 63% possession and only one shot on target is truly pitiful against a little Donny team struggling with injuries..
I've even started to question myself - after the last 2 years surely I should just be grateful that we are up there competing for promotion- another thread touched on this yesterday, commenting on the poor atmosphere this season and this does seem true- the last promotion year was like a season long carnival in comparison to this year which seems like a drudge. Also I find it strange that as each game goes by I find that rather than singing the manager's name i am getting to dislike him more every week. For me he seems to have his favourites such as Zamorra last year and Kranjcar this season who is contributing virtually nothing game after game and whose lack of effort means that Austin is having to work his socks off up front on his own. Also he often seems tactically inept frequently making the wrong substitutions at the wrong time. Taking ONeil off yesterday was yet another example- yes he was not playing brilliantly but the man never stops running- so to take him off and leave Kranjcar and Jenas on the field was inexpicable to me.
Anyway, enough said, maybe I should stop complaining and just enjoy what could well be another promotion season - what does everyone else think.....?
Are Results all that matter this season? on 05:32 - Dec 3 with 1142 viewsMelakaRanger

Are Results all that matter this season? on 10:46 - Dec 2 by WatfordR

Whilst I think promotion by whatever means necessary is probably the only target this season, I don't see anything in the style of play that suggests we'd be capable of scoring a single goal in the whole of a season in the Prem. Can anyone hand on heart say they've seen anything on the pitch this season that has excited them about watching the current lot?

I agree with your statement. "promotion by whatever means necessary is probably the only target this season "

Tony F, the board and Harry have just one target. Promotion and any way they can. If it means being boring, winning 20+ games by 1 nil, playing one up front, then so be it.

Then, if and when we are up, they will worry about the Premiership. Firstly how survive and in time how to become an established team.
Are Results all that matter this season? on 06:35 - Dec 3 with 1133 viewsqprmick

Results are what get you promoted, we can play pretty when we are established in the Premier League.

Qprmick

Are Results all that matter this season? on 11:22 - Dec 3 with 1102 viewsAntti_Heinola

Are Results all that matter this season? on 21:34 - Dec 2 by TW_R

I assume this was meant as tongue in cheek, no?

No, not at all.
This season we've had players like Niko, Hoilett, AJ, even Traore and SWP regularly sitting on the bench. We may not rate some of them, but I almost guarantee if they could afford them every other club in this league would take those players.
to moan about our injuries affecting us is silly, sorry. All clubs have them, they are never, or at least only in extreme cases, an excuse, for anything. And especially not for us when we have about 40 squad players and can afford to loan out youngsters who other sides would be forced to blood.

Bare bones.

Are Results all that matter this season? on 11:33 - Dec 3 with 1095 viewsJonDoeman

Are Results all that matter this season? on 11:22 - Dec 3 by Antti_Heinola

No, not at all.
This season we've had players like Niko, Hoilett, AJ, even Traore and SWP regularly sitting on the bench. We may not rate some of them, but I almost guarantee if they could afford them every other club in this league would take those players.
to moan about our injuries affecting us is silly, sorry. All clubs have them, they are never, or at least only in extreme cases, an excuse, for anything. And especially not for us when we have about 40 squad players and can afford to loan out youngsters who other sides would be forced to blood.

Of course injuries are affecting us , we can't get a settled side or even use our substitutes properly. Not moaning , but to say we haven't been affected by them is ludicrous .

It Is What It Is !!

Are Results all that matter this season? on 12:13 - Dec 3 with 1082 viewsRangersw12

Are Results all that matter this season? on 11:33 - Dec 3 by JonDoeman

Of course injuries are affecting us , we can't get a settled side or even use our substitutes properly. Not moaning , but to say we haven't been affected by them is ludicrous .

I agree If we had Hoilett , Phillips and Kranjcar all fit for a period of games then I think performances would improve considerably
Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:06 - Dec 3 with 1067 viewsAntti_Heinola

Are Results all that matter this season? on 11:33 - Dec 3 by JonDoeman

I didn't say they didn't affect us Jon. I said all clubs have the same problems so to use it as an excuse is silly, particularly when we have such an enormous squad. Every other club in this league would love to have the choice we have. At one stage we had Traore, Yun and Clint Hill who could all play left back, but that wasn't enough - we had to go get Benny too. To blame our rickety, if generally successful, play on injuries is what's ludicrous.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2013 13:07]

Bare bones.

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:34 - Dec 3 with 1055 viewsJonDoeman

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:06 - Dec 3 by Antti_Heinola

I didn't say they didn't affect us Jon. I said all clubs have the same problems so to use it as an excuse is silly, particularly when we have such an enormous squad. Every other club in this league would love to have the choice we have. At one stage we had Traore, Yun and Clint Hill who could all play left back, but that wasn't enough - we had to go get Benny too. To blame our rickety, if generally successful, play on injuries is what's ludicrous.

"To blame our rickety, if generally successful, play on injuries is what's ludicrous. "

That's exactly what I am doing, I must be ludicrous then, thinking, good football is easier to play with your best players on the pitch rather than the treatment room . You're overrating our squad, its largely crap.

It Is What It Is !!

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:41 - Dec 3 with 1051 viewsQPRDave

Are Results all that matter this season? on 10:55 - Dec 2 by Antti_Heinola

Absolute nonsense.
Football should be about entertainment - if you're not producing anything entertaining, what's the point? Obviously wins are entertaining, but all this win at all costs is a load of rubbish. I'd rather finish 6th and be entertaining than 1st and be boring. But that's just me. I go to football to have fun and be entertained, not everyone's the same!

Football is sport....sport is played to get a result ...Entertainment is what you get at a theatre
Login to get fewer ads

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:49 - Dec 3 with 1045 viewstoboboly

I am starting to agree with the OP. Having been to a fair share of the games this season I am finding it more and more dreary to watch. Walking back to Doncaster station I actually started wanting 'Arry to get fired, but we're in 3rd I said to myself, it doesn't feel like it, I answered.

Crap football, players who don't seem to be able to perform the basics, questionable tactics and substitutions. It's like the bad old days. I was also thinking the other day that Sousa got a sackload of shit for tightening up the backline and not being able to score, at least his mitigation was the poor squad (relative to this) and the revolving door policy at the club.

I didn't enjoy many games in the PL, I haven't enjoyed many games this season.

And to those whom sy "if you want entertainment go to the theatre", why do you think people decide to go to sporting events in the first place? To be thrilled at watching something being done well and to bring enjoyment into your life. It's only a "results only business" to the tvvats like Flavio et al whom neither understand nor actually care.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:57 - Dec 3 with 1038 viewsQPRDave

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:49 - Dec 3 by toboboly

I am starting to agree with the OP. Having been to a fair share of the games this season I am finding it more and more dreary to watch. Walking back to Doncaster station I actually started wanting 'Arry to get fired, but we're in 3rd I said to myself, it doesn't feel like it, I answered.

Crap football, players who don't seem to be able to perform the basics, questionable tactics and substitutions. It's like the bad old days. I was also thinking the other day that Sousa got a sackload of shit for tightening up the backline and not being able to score, at least his mitigation was the poor squad (relative to this) and the revolving door policy at the club.

I didn't enjoy many games in the PL, I haven't enjoyed many games this season.

And to those whom sy "if you want entertainment go to the theatre", why do you think people decide to go to sporting events in the first place? To be thrilled at watching something being done well and to bring enjoyment into your life. It's only a "results only business" to the tvvats like Flavio et al whom neither understand nor actually care.

And the thrill is getting the result. The whole point of any sport is to get a result. Otherwise why go through 90 mins of running up and down a pitch chasing a ball ?
I personally do not want to watch Adel type step overs and tricks and a load of show pony's but lose the game.
Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:57 - Dec 3 with 1039 viewsTW_R

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:06 - Dec 3 by Antti_Heinola

I doubt whether we've been able to field the same starting 11 for more than 2 games in a row this season. Burnley and Leicester certainly haven't had the injury problems we've had. It's ridiculous to call it a "silly excuse". We've had to constantly replace midfielders and not one of them has played every game. The squad size is irrelevant. To be able to play at a consistent level you need continuity. Something we haven't had. Having to chop and change personnel can only have a detrimental impact on our performances.
Are Results all that matter this season? on 14:06 - Dec 3 with 1032 viewsJonDoeman

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:57 - Dec 3 by TW_R

I doubt whether we've been able to field the same starting 11 for more than 2 games in a row this season. Burnley and Leicester certainly haven't had the injury problems we've had. It's ridiculous to call it a "silly excuse". We've had to constantly replace midfielders and not one of them has played every game. The squad size is irrelevant. To be able to play at a consistent level you need continuity. Something we haven't had. Having to chop and change personnel can only have a detrimental impact on our performances.

Well said TDubya..!!!

It Is What It Is !!

Are Results all that matter this season? on 14:42 - Dec 3 with 1025 viewsAntti_Heinola

Are Results all that matter this season? on 13:57 - Dec 3 by TW_R

as i said, it's had an effect, but you can't blame it on our poor play! We'll have to agree to disagree, because saying we're not playing well because Kranjcar was out for a few games, so we had to play Hoilett, or Carroll is out for a few games so we had to play O'Neil, just doesn't cut it with me. The basis of the team has been the same all season - keeper, back 4 has had minimal changes, same striker most of the time, and Barton has been the fulcrum of our midfield. Are you really saying our negative tactics and reluctance to kill games off is because of a few injuries? I admit it's been disruptive, but come on! Doncaster had HUGE injury issues on Sat and beat us!

Joe, this squad is one of the most expensive ever assembled in this division. We spent £8m on just 2 players in the summer. At Prem level, sure, it would struggle badly. But at this level? At the very, very least we should expect a bit of fun and a bit of attacking intent with these players.

Bare bones.

Are Results all that matter this season? on 15:09 - Dec 3 with 1015 viewssimmo

For all of those that think getting results superseed performance no matter what, tell me if you would have bought a Stoke season ticket under Pulis. Awful, relentless, shameless, dog shit football, but 40 points to stay up every year = result.

Not for me, would rather play the right kind of football and take the odd victory where it comes than play a statistics game and do just enough to win every week.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Are Results all that matter this season? on 16:25 - Dec 3 with 1006 viewsPinnerPaul

Are Results all that matter this season? on 12:36 - Dec 2 by Northernr

If that bloody Hull side can compete then we can compete.

I agree, but lets get there first before we start arguing about NEXT season's prospects/team/formation/transfer policy!!!
Are Results all that matter this season? on 16:26 - Dec 3 with 828 viewsPinnerPaul

Are Results all that matter this season? on 12:51 - Dec 2 by WatfordR

If we can't score goals in this league, and more importantly can't create the chances to score goals, then I don't see how.

They haven't given us the 35 points just for turning up!!!
Are Results all that matter this season? on 16:35 - Dec 3 with 824 viewsTW_R

Are Results all that matter this season? on 14:42 - Dec 3 by Antti_Heinola

as i said, it's had an effect, but you can't blame it on our poor play! We'll have to agree to disagree, because saying we're not playing well because Kranjcar was out for a few games, so we had to play Hoilett, or Carroll is out for a few games so we had to play O'Neil, just doesn't cut it with me. The basis of the team has been the same all season - keeper, back 4 has had minimal changes, same striker most of the time, and Barton has been the fulcrum of our midfield. Are you really saying our negative tactics and reluctance to kill games off is because of a few injuries? I admit it's been disruptive, but come on! Doncaster had HUGE injury issues on Sat and beat us!

Joe, this squad is one of the most expensive ever assembled in this division. We spent £8m on just 2 players in the summer. At Prem level, sure, it would struggle badly. But at this level? At the very, very least we should expect a bit of fun and a bit of attacking intent with these players.

I'm not blaming it on our poor play, as I don't think we've played that poorly other than at Yeovil and Doncaster. And I don't see keeping the ball and passing to a team mate as negative tactics. Based on where we are at the moment, in the main I'm pretty happy with the way we are playing.

I don't really understand this "reluctance to kill games off " conjecture. Pretty much every team we play against sits back and defends with at least 10 men. Their whole premise is to stay in the game and hope to nick a goal. People seem to think we should be able to stroll through these defences and regularly score 4 or 5 goals. If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it. Isn't that the point of playing football? It's not easy and you define how you play to try and win games.

Personally I think a team has a better chance of winning if they have the ball longer than the opposition. And this seems to have worked pretty well so far this season. I doubt there is any team out there that hasn't had a couple of bad games.

Edit:- And I do think the injuries we've had have had a pretty big impact on the way we have played on occasion.
[Post edited 3 Dec 2013 16:38]
Are Results all that matter this season? on 16:36 - Dec 3 with 822 viewsNW5Hoop

Are Results all that matter this season? on 06:35 - Dec 3 by qprmick

Results are what get you promoted, we can play pretty when we are established in the Premier League.

So, in about seven years' time, then … Assuming we do get promoted and do stay up.
Are Results all that matter this season? on 16:47 - Dec 3 with 810 viewsRangersAreBack

Given the mess we were in in the summer, I wasn't expecting many great results and performances this season. I'll take results for the time being.
Are Results all that matter this season? on 11:03 - Dec 4 with 770 viewsTGRRRSSS

Dont get this at all ok we're not quite as thrilling as the 2010-11 side were at times, but we're not far off it, hopefully last night is a bit of a watershed in terms of more goals coming, which could be important long term. I note sides like Bolton and Leeds who we beat away are starting (I know both lost yesterday) to get their act together and now rising a bit more, Leeds especially now in PLay offs area.
Are Results all that matter this season? on 20:38 - Dec 4 with 741 viewsGetMeRangers

Are Results all that matter this season? on 11:03 - Dec 4 by TGRRRSSS

Dont get this at all ok we're not quite as thrilling as the 2010-11 side were at times, but we're not far off it, hopefully last night is a bit of a watershed in terms of more goals coming, which could be important long term. I note sides like Bolton and Leeds who we beat away are starting (I know both lost yesterday) to get their act together and now rising a bit more, Leeds especially now in PLay offs area.

Leeds playing now and ahead... going 6th and Derby going 4th if the results stay as they are
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024