Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who was affected by the tube strike? 21:04 - Jul 9 with 3888 viewsloftboy

My mrs was booked on a train from chertsey to Darlington which would have involved using the Victoria line from Vauxhall to kings cross, I ended up driving her up to London, left chertsey at 9:45 and got home at 2:45, 5 bloody hours, and to top it all I paid the congestion charge for the first time ever and actually didn't need to as the Marylebone/Euston road is on the perimeter of it.
Not slagging off any of the tube workers who post on here but what was the strike actually about?

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 21:24 - Jul 9 with 2610 viewseghamranger

Lots of people were walking as such a nice day and getting buses. I planned ahead and worked locally and from home.
Who needs to sit at a desk all day with decent technolgy these days.
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 21:41 - Jul 9 with 2573 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

I had to work from a different office for two days that I could drive to which was much bloody nearer to home than my usual office. That was nice.

Strike was about pay for the new 24hr service I think.
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 21:42 - Jul 9 with 2566 viewsNorthLondonR

I was working in Plymouth today so aside from el tubo striko, had a strike on First "Great" Western... opted for a refund and a lovely drive through the pristine countryside, looking at the opposite side of the London streets cuing for mile upon mile on end, whilst I sauntered out on the A40, M25, M3, A303..... what possesses people to drive into town when there's a tube strike and where are the thinking of parking????
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 21:55 - Jul 9 with 2537 viewsNorthernr

Worked from home. In the garden. God bless those tube drivers and their militant Union.
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 22:25 - Jul 9 with 2476 viewsNorthLondonR

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 21:55 - Jul 9 by Northernr

Worked from home. In the garden. God bless those tube drivers and their militant Union.

So says suburban journo, avec garden, possibly with Roller parked in the pool?? Uber on speed dial #1... well.. WELL???

Seriously I have never wished to harm a rangers fan until I was sitting avec las missus outside a north london establishment when some kid with an Austin Shirt apparently couldnt walk the 10 minutes or so to stroud green from the Landseer (uber c@nty pub) and demanded of his parents to call Uber.... i some how held it together...
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 22:48 - Jul 9 with 2434 viewshamptonhillhoop

I cycled 10 miles to work and ten miles back. And I have views of Stamford bridge and craven cottage out of my high rise office window. I'm a hero, me
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 23:08 - Jul 9 with 2395 viewsdaveB

worked from home whilst watching the ashes, if they could extend the strike for tomorrow as well that would be lovely
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 06:51 - Jul 10 with 2272 viewsrichranger

I own a shop at an underground Station (the Beatles Coffee Shop at St John's Wood) so lost about £1000 in takings. Grrrrrr
Login to get fewer ads

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 07:57 - Jul 10 with 2224 viewsbatmanhoop

how we allowed that congestion charge uncontested without scenes like the poll tax riots I don't know. Hate how the the modern world has become
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 08:40 - Jul 10 with 2179 viewslondonscottish

I cycled in and out of the city on Wednesday so avoided the scrum at the end of the afternoon.

Had to get to Milton Keynes yesterday. As I have turned into my Dad I booked a cab on Tuesday and got it to pick me me up super-early yesterday and take me to Euston,

On the way back had to take the overland part of the way and walk the rest but it was all OK, really.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 08:57 - Jul 10 with 2156 viewsDiscodroids

my arsehole cousin is a train driver and he looks like a splice between ed de goey and the over amorous colin stagg.

i drew much salve from this as i had to listen to these essex slags screeching into their phones about undeveloped fetus being sucked from their pipes with a dyson , cock size and fake tan on the bus yesterday.
[Post edited 10 Jul 2015 9:11]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 09:38 - Jul 10 with 2110 viewsLblock

Worked from home myself

It did effect me last night as my journey to Kew was a killer.
Had to get off the bus and walk as it was just solid traffic, not so bad as lovely evening but the cooler bag full of beers and wine was a killer

God I hate buses, travelling on them brings me out in hives

As for the reasons for the strike it does make me laugh that the most militant and left wing of unions are in fact the most capitalist of the lot!!! Always wanting more money more money more money. I did see one Trott with his badges and blazer dirging on about it being to "protect tube drivers way of life and family time". Indeed.

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 09:39 - Jul 10 with 2109 viewsbob566

nice article in the telegraph about tube drivers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11726174/Striking
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 10:15 - Jul 10 with 2076 viewssimmo

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 09:39 - Jul 10 by bob566

nice article in the telegraph about tube drivers.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/road-and-rail-transport/11726174/Striking

I don't go in for this direct comparison with poorly paid jobs that people think have better credibility, but as far as I understand it tube drivers are paid pretty well.

I know there's some posters on here that are drivers or TFL workers, but it pisses me off that the strikes come off the back of, as I understand it, contracts being changed due to 24 hour service. Tube drivers don't like it, as there were no negotiations or choice in the changes from just few contractual night shifts to quite a lot more, so they are kicking off. They have though been offered compensation by way of a bonus and a raise. Can someone tell me if that's wrong or right?

Everyday I speak to people whose jobs or situation has changed because there's been a restructuring, loss of a contract or maybe a takeover froma rival firm that's relocating their busienss abroad. What do they do? They take the option of change/progress or they leave. The same thing happens to tube drivers and they refuse to work. Nice.

It's yet less public support for the future too.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 10:23 - Jul 10 with 2064 viewsFDC

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 09:38 - Jul 10 by Lblock

Worked from home myself

It did effect me last night as my journey to Kew was a killer.
Had to get off the bus and walk as it was just solid traffic, not so bad as lovely evening but the cooler bag full of beers and wine was a killer

God I hate buses, travelling on them brings me out in hives

As for the reasons for the strike it does make me laugh that the most militant and left wing of unions are in fact the most capitalist of the lot!!! Always wanting more money more money more money. I did see one Trott with his badges and blazer dirging on about it being to "protect tube drivers way of life and family time". Indeed.

it does make me laugh that the most militant and left wing of unions are in fact the most capitalist of the lot!!! Always wanting more money more money more money!

That's not what a capitalist is.
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 10:28 - Jul 10 with 2059 viewsFDC

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 10:15 - Jul 10 by simmo

I don't go in for this direct comparison with poorly paid jobs that people think have better credibility, but as far as I understand it tube drivers are paid pretty well.

I know there's some posters on here that are drivers or TFL workers, but it pisses me off that the strikes come off the back of, as I understand it, contracts being changed due to 24 hour service. Tube drivers don't like it, as there were no negotiations or choice in the changes from just few contractual night shifts to quite a lot more, so they are kicking off. They have though been offered compensation by way of a bonus and a raise. Can someone tell me if that's wrong or right?

Everyday I speak to people whose jobs or situation has changed because there's been a restructuring, loss of a contract or maybe a takeover froma rival firm that's relocating their busienss abroad. What do they do? They take the option of change/progress or they leave. The same thing happens to tube drivers and they refuse to work. Nice.

Thing is Simmo it sounds like you're saying that because one group bends over and takes it, the other should too. And if they don't everyone gets on their case. That's a race to the bottom - just how powerless and precarious can our jobs get before people start supporting other workers?

Sounds cheesy and clichéd I know, but we've all been set against one another when it's the powers that be we should be attacking. Not tube drivers for using the leverage they have against their bosses.
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 10:35 - Jul 10 with 2050 viewssimmo

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 10:28 - Jul 10 by FDC

Thing is Simmo it sounds like you're saying that because one group bends over and takes it, the other should too. And if they don't everyone gets on their case. That's a race to the bottom - just how powerless and precarious can our jobs get before people start supporting other workers?

Sounds cheesy and clichéd I know, but we've all been set against one another when it's the powers that be we should be attacking. Not tube drivers for using the leverage they have against their bosses.

Fundementally I agree, I like that unions are there to help provide support against major corporations. I have always worked in the private sector without one so I can understand the benefits, but how much of it is deciding the option to change is derisory and genuinely unfair and how much is just people striking and wanting more because they have the option to do it?

We all want 24hr tubes, it's well overdue as it is. It's understandable that peoples jobs will change in line with progress. Are they saying that the compensation they've been offered is non-existant or just not enough for the inconvenience the new contract will cause?

It also doesn't help that this is one of a number of strikes that in a lot of cases are for unclear reasons and seem poorly supported even by the unon members.

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 10:41 - Jul 10 with 2042 viewsMvpeter

Yep, when the tubes become driven by robots they'll find their corner quite empty.

It's pure greed and exploitation of a government mandated monopoly and the infrastructure built by the taxpayers. They should not have the right to strike under those conditions.

Luckily it was a beautiful day yesterday and I very much enjoyed my walk along the Thames.

Poll: Who should be our left back?

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 11:13 - Jul 10 with 2014 viewsFDC

. They have though been offered compensation by way of a bonus and a raise. Can someone tell me if that's wrong or right?

I meant to say, according to this guy, kind of but not really...

Yesterday’s events (Monday 6th July) at ACAS were really quite extraordinary. TfL having failed to change their offer for the last three months, now made a new proposal in the afternoon, but explained that it was “time bound” and would be “withdrawn if its conditions were not accepted by 18.30 this evening” by all four trade unions and industrial action was suspend.

TfL must have been aware that of course it would be impossible for Unions to comply with this ultimatum. Unions would need to properly consider the implications of the proposal and consult with Reps and their Executive Committees. Unions offered to return to ACAS at 12.00 today (Tuesday 7th July) to respond to the proposal but were told that it would be off the table after 18.30 today (Monday).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tube-strike-live-the-underground-
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 11:22 - Jul 10 with 1990 viewssimmo

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 11:13 - Jul 10 by FDC

. They have though been offered compensation by way of a bonus and a raise. Can someone tell me if that's wrong or right?

I meant to say, according to this guy, kind of but not really...

Yesterday’s events (Monday 6th July) at ACAS were really quite extraordinary. TfL having failed to change their offer for the last three months, now made a new proposal in the afternoon, but explained that it was “time bound” and would be “withdrawn if its conditions were not accepted by 18.30 this evening” by all four trade unions and industrial action was suspend.

TfL must have been aware that of course it would be impossible for Unions to comply with this ultimatum. Unions would need to properly consider the implications of the proposal and consult with Reps and their Executive Committees. Unions offered to return to ACAS at 12.00 today (Tuesday 7th July) to respond to the proposal but were told that it would be off the table after 18.30 today (Monday).

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tube-strike-live-the-underground-

Yeah I read that yesterday on FB, it's good that someone from that side comes out and explains it, not enough transparency usually which causes more resentment.

What can TFL do if they need X amount of commitment to working nights and being able to run the new 24hr service? They either have to get existing staff to commit or hire new staff that are happy to take the job based on those requirements. I assume they are not asking staff to do up to 14 weeks per year on nights just for 'bantz'.

He also doesn't really mention any compensation or benefits if agreeing to the terms, would drivers not get different pay for night work like most other overnight jobs get? Have they not been offered a payrise and bonus? He just says it's 'not about money'

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 12:13 - Jul 10 with 1942 viewsBrightonhoop

I wasn't affected but TfL were clearly provoking a militant Union to strike.

Seems clear to me those that have striked over the years have far better pay and conditions to those who just bend over and take whatever conditions are imposed.
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 13:29 - Jul 10 with 1869 viewsSnipper

Right, I'm a tube driver and I will try to explain why the whole of the London Underground workforce, except for most management and habitual strike breakers withdrew their labour. So it wasn't just drivers, it was station staff, signal workers, line controllers etc etc.....

Boris Johnson announced 'night tube' in November 2013 at the same time as nearly 1000 job losses. The unions and their members have repeatedly asked management how this is going to be implemented, but they wouldn't say. There were rumours of part time drivers being employed to work night tube, but nothing materialised.

A few months ago, we were told that rosters and changes to our framework agreement would be implemented wether we liked it or not. This would mean having to work up to 14 weekends of night tube. Before I go on, the unions are not against night tube, but it needs to be fairly implemented. This has nothing to do with money with the vast majority of staff. It's about a fair work/life balance.

The management wouldn't budge from their position, so they left the unions no choice but to ballot for industrial action. All unions involved returned a resounding yes vote, so we had the mandate to call for action. It was only then that the management wanted to get around the table to talk. The talks at ACAS were a joke and IMO, the management goaded us into striking as night tube was going to be delayed anyway. Then they could blame us when it didn't come in on time.

I've heard so many things about what we earn compared to nurses & teachers for example. Why should we feel ashamed for what we earn? Pay nurses more, pay teachers more, pay soldiers more and pay policemen more. An earlier poster posted a piece from The Telegraph about tube drivers. That was the biggest load of bollocks I've read for a long time. The Tory led media are feeding the masses what they want to tell you and hope that you all believe it. Sadly, most of the public do.

One last thing, I go on strike for what I believe in. I lose money by striking, but I think it's a small price to pay to stand up to bullying management. I'm lucky enough to have a strong union to protect working practises. Please don't hate us because we're strong enough to fight.
Who was affected by the tube strike? on 13:37 - Jul 10 with 1849 viewsPinnerPaul

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 21:24 - Jul 9 by eghamranger

Lots of people were walking as such a nice day and getting buses. I planned ahead and worked locally and from home.
Who needs to sit at a desk all day with decent technolgy these days.

I worked from home but plenty can't

Very long list but shop workers, the emergency services, anyone who deals with public are just a few of those who have to work "in situ" or not at all.

Wouldn't be impressed if my son worked at home..he's an emergency vehicle mechanic!

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 13:39 - Jul 10 with 1843 viewssimmo

Thank you for the clarification.

Can I ask, what is your solution then? It seems clear that for TFL to run the tubes as required they need their drivers to do 14 weekends a year. You guys are saying you won't do that because it's too many, but where is the compromise if that is what's required?

Would you want to be paid more for it? Would you want dedicated night staff to cover those shifts and you lose those hours and stick to your day shifts and very occasional nights? Fundementally the tube service is changing to offer what people want, so a deviation from your contracted hours is inevitable and it will upset the work/life balance you currently enjoy - there is no avoiding that.

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 13:44 - Jul 10 with 1828 viewsPinnerPaul

Who was affected by the tube strike? on 13:29 - Jul 10 by Snipper

Right, I'm a tube driver and I will try to explain why the whole of the London Underground workforce, except for most management and habitual strike breakers withdrew their labour. So it wasn't just drivers, it was station staff, signal workers, line controllers etc etc.....

Boris Johnson announced 'night tube' in November 2013 at the same time as nearly 1000 job losses. The unions and their members have repeatedly asked management how this is going to be implemented, but they wouldn't say. There were rumours of part time drivers being employed to work night tube, but nothing materialised.

A few months ago, we were told that rosters and changes to our framework agreement would be implemented wether we liked it or not. This would mean having to work up to 14 weekends of night tube. Before I go on, the unions are not against night tube, but it needs to be fairly implemented. This has nothing to do with money with the vast majority of staff. It's about a fair work/life balance.

The management wouldn't budge from their position, so they left the unions no choice but to ballot for industrial action. All unions involved returned a resounding yes vote, so we had the mandate to call for action. It was only then that the management wanted to get around the table to talk. The talks at ACAS were a joke and IMO, the management goaded us into striking as night tube was going to be delayed anyway. Then they could blame us when it didn't come in on time.

I've heard so many things about what we earn compared to nurses & teachers for example. Why should we feel ashamed for what we earn? Pay nurses more, pay teachers more, pay soldiers more and pay policemen more. An earlier poster posted a piece from The Telegraph about tube drivers. That was the biggest load of bollocks I've read for a long time. The Tory led media are feeding the masses what they want to tell you and hope that you all believe it. Sadly, most of the public do.

One last thing, I go on strike for what I believe in. I lose money by striking, but I think it's a small price to pay to stand up to bullying management. I'm lucky enough to have a strong union to protect working practises. Please don't hate us because we're strong enough to fight.

What about the accusation that Unions could have delayed strike and put revised (yes late I know) offer to members?

Not being provocative, just that Mike Brown called it "incredible" that this wasn't done?

Thoughts?

Thanks
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024