Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR Fans and Authors 01:26 - Aug 14 with 9382 viewsFredManRave

Whilst in the early stages of recovery (ACL) I decided to do something recently that I haven't done for many years and that was to sit down with a good book. First choice was QPR fan John Honneys book Always In Motion. I don't know if it's been mentioned on here before but anyway, I found it to be an excellent read. I picked it up, well actually downloaded it as you do these days, on Sunday morning and finished it by Sunday evening as I couldn't put the bloody thing down. An easy to read book and when you read about what he's achieved it's really quite inspirational.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00QYZWVT8/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb

I've now downloaded R's fan Matthew Blakes book I'll Be Home Just After Christmas which I'm sure will be just as entertaining and thought provoking and then it will be Grounds for Divorce, as soon as it becomes available on kindle.

So, any recomendations of other books writen by R's fans?

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

QPR Fans and Authors on 02:50 - Aug 14 with 8241 views18StoneOfHoop

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

QPR Fans and Authors on 08:04 - Aug 14 with 8119 viewsterryb

I liked Bluebeat Boy by Martin Horsfield.

A book about anxiety that has many a comical moment!
QPR Fans and Authors on 08:34 - Aug 14 with 8050 viewsloftboy

I'm surprised no ones mentioned "grounds for divorce" by Mel

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

QPR Fans and Authors on 09:08 - Aug 14 with 8013 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Can recommend Mel's and John's books. Superb, the both of them.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

QPR Fans and Authors on 09:30 - Aug 14 with 7989 viewsnadera78

QPR Fans and Authors on 08:04 - Aug 14 by terryb

I liked Bluebeat Boy by Martin Horsfield.

A book about anxiety that has many a comical moment!

Why, thank you sir! Very kind of you to say so. If no-one objects...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluebeat-Boy-M-A-Horsfield/dp/1500672351
QPR Fans and Authors on 09:55 - Aug 14 with 7954 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Well thank you FMR and Brian for your comments. Very much appreciated.

I am not sure if Mel's book is on kindle. However, if, you want to get a copy, then return home to Greenford, pop into the Black Horse and he will half nelson you into buying it and probably, him a pint as well!

Matt Blake's book is quite the thing. He stayed with me in Phnom Penh in 2009. Thing is, he had cycled there from the UK and was continuing on around the planet! Don't get me wrong, running marathons with no hamstrings as an amputee wearing an Rs top is a challenge, but Matt's challenge was nuttyness.

Again, thanks to FMR and Brian, and happy reading to my fellow Rfosi.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

QPR Fans and Authors on 10:37 - Aug 14 with 7877 viewsrongould

the late Leslie Thomas was a Rangers fan. Not much about QPR in the books but a number of his characters are named after the QPR players of his (and my) youth Like Ramscar,Gilberg,Hatton etc.

Tim Lott's "White City Blue" is a good read, very nostalgic now as the hero and his mates watch a heartbreaking Rangers game on TV in The Bush Ranger. I re-read it a couple of weeks ago and it still stands up.
QPR Fans and Authors on 10:55 - Aug 14 with 7850 viewsEastR

QPR Fans and Authors on 09:55 - Aug 14 by PlanetHonneywood

Well thank you FMR and Brian for your comments. Very much appreciated.

I am not sure if Mel's book is on kindle. However, if, you want to get a copy, then return home to Greenford, pop into the Black Horse and he will half nelson you into buying it and probably, him a pint as well!

Matt Blake's book is quite the thing. He stayed with me in Phnom Penh in 2009. Thing is, he had cycled there from the UK and was continuing on around the planet! Don't get me wrong, running marathons with no hamstrings as an amputee wearing an Rs top is a challenge, but Matt's challenge was nuttyness.

Again, thanks to FMR and Brian, and happy reading to my fellow Rfosi.

The CambodiR's!

Enjoyed those couple of Sat morning training runs round the National Monument, JH - inspired me to have a few goes at that marathon lark!

BK

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Login to get fewer ads

QPR Fans and Authors on 10:58 - Aug 14 with 7846 viewsJonDoeman

QPR Fans and Authors on 10:37 - Aug 14 by rongould

the late Leslie Thomas was a Rangers fan. Not much about QPR in the books but a number of his characters are named after the QPR players of his (and my) youth Like Ramscar,Gilberg,Hatton etc.

Tim Lott's "White City Blue" is a good read, very nostalgic now as the hero and his mates watch a heartbreaking Rangers game on TV in The Bush Ranger. I re-read it a couple of weeks ago and it still stands up.

Great book that .

It Is What It Is !!

QPR Fans and Authors on 12:41 - Aug 14 with 7799 viewsTacticalR

QPR Fans and Authors on 10:58 - Aug 14 by JonDoeman

Great book that .

Better than Fever Pitch in my opinion

Air hostess clique

QPR Fans and Authors on 12:55 - Aug 14 with 7770 viewsMaggsinho

QPR Fans and Authors on 12:41 - Aug 14 by TacticalR

Better than Fever Pitch in my opinion

I enjoyed that but could never quite get past why they were watching the game in the Bush Ranger rather than being in the ground.
QPR Fans and Authors on 13:10 - Aug 14 with 7739 viewsrongould

QPR Fans and Authors on 12:55 - Aug 14 by Maggsinho

I enjoyed that but could never quite get past why they were watching the game in the Bush Ranger rather than being in the ground.

it was an away game.
QPR Fans and Authors on 13:15 - Aug 14 with 7727 viewsheadhoops

have just ordered Always in Motion and Bluebeat Boy. Should sort out my upcoming flight to Singapore. Thanks for the recommendations.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

QPR Fans and Authors on 20:23 - Aug 14 with 7614 viewsFWB

Alan Johnson's memoirs, so far This Boy and Please Mr Postman. Lots for Rs fans in those
QPR Fans and Authors on 20:46 - Aug 14 with 7595 viewsHantsR

QPR Fans and Authors on 10:37 - Aug 14 by rongould

...but sadly, Leslie Thomas was not always a Ranger. I have written previously to mention his appearance on a golf pro-am TV programme in which he featured. As a local (Romsey) person and R's fan, I had to watch it but was devastated when he was asked about watching football he didn't even mention QPR! and talked about occasionally going to (I think?) Arsenal.
QPR Fans and Authors on 04:05 - Aug 15 with 7493 viewsFredManRave

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I've just dowloaded Bluebeat Boy so I'll give that I read after Matthew Blakes book.

Unfortunately, Mels book doesn't appear to be on kindle yet and I couldn't even find mention of White City Blue on amazon.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

QPR Fans and Authors on 07:17 - Aug 15 with 7461 viewsRoller

While there are only a couple of chapters about QPR, Tilting at Windmills by Andy Miller is a great book.
QPR Fans and Authors on 07:56 - Aug 15 with 7441 viewsLblock

White City Blue was a great book -- wasn't the opening line "oh Gallen you useless git" after Kev missed a chance on the box?

I've not actually read a book in a good few years now. I may well have a bit of time on my hands soon so will note the other suggestions here myself

Good luck with the ACL recovery Fred

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

QPR Fans and Authors on 11:55 - Aug 15 with 7359 viewssuperhoop67

Leo Clancy was a QPR fanatic lived in Percy Rd and drank in the Greyhound [The Dogs] wrote 2 books Crack and Fix were the names of them
QPR Fans and Authors on 14:25 - Aug 15 with 7301 viewsTacticalR

On a side note, you might want to have a look at Robert Marx's 'The ACL Solution: Prevention and Recovery for Sports' Most Devastating Knee Injury'
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/95706/the-acl-solu

Air hostess clique

QPR Fans and Authors on 20:46 - Aug 20 with 7096 viewsnige101uk

As the publisher of both Mr. Honney and Mr. Blake ( :) ) Can I also add http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Game-Halves-Frederick-Hartman/dp/1909192007/

The story of a lifetime of QPR supporting bloke AND a game by game, blow by blow account of that first promotion season back to the Prem.
QPR Fans and Authors on 21:00 - Aug 20 with 7072 viewsMrSheen

QPR Fans and Authors on 20:46 - Aug 20 by nige101uk

As the publisher of both Mr. Honney and Mr. Blake ( :) ) Can I also add http://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-Game-Halves-Frederick-Hartman/dp/1909192007/

The story of a lifetime of QPR supporting bloke AND a game by game, blow by blow account of that first promotion season back to the Prem.

Martin Amis' London Fields has a scene set at Loftus Road, based on us beating West Ham 2-1 in 1988 if I recall (great game, Stein and Maddix scored). Unfortunately, he's a bit of a tool when it comes to a sport he clearly despises (a tennis fan himself) and makes a passion of his neanderthal anti-hero, Keith Talent. I think it was Amis' only ever visit to a game and he shows his ignorance throughout - right wingers running at right backs. ironic that he ended up marrying a Uruguayan.
QPR Fans and Authors on 21:39 - Aug 20 with 7004 viewsbaz_qpr

QPR Fans and Authors on 04:05 - Aug 15 by FredManRave

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

I've just dowloaded Bluebeat Boy so I'll give that I read after Matthew Blakes book.

Unfortunately, Mels book doesn't appear to be on kindle yet and I couldn't even find mention of White City Blue on amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/White-City-Blue-Tim-Lott/dp/0140266496/ref=sr_1_5?s=book
QPR Fans and Authors on 21:41 - Aug 20 with 6995 viewsTacticalR

QPR Fans and Authors on 21:00 - Aug 20 by MrSheen

Martin Amis' London Fields has a scene set at Loftus Road, based on us beating West Ham 2-1 in 1988 if I recall (great game, Stein and Maddix scored). Unfortunately, he's a bit of a tool when it comes to a sport he clearly despises (a tennis fan himself) and makes a passion of his neanderthal anti-hero, Keith Talent. I think it was Amis' only ever visit to a game and he shows his ignorance throughout - right wingers running at right backs. ironic that he ended up marrying a Uruguayan.

You may recall Amis's unkind remarks about QPR fans after his brief foray into football...

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/70344/london-field

Air hostess clique

QPR Fans and Authors on 02:11 - Aug 21 with 6911 viewsSonofNorfolt

Thanks for the kind words.
I suppose I should use the ebook option, just my Luddite laziness.
The new one, when finally finished, should be available nationwide and in all formats.
'Grounds for divorce', I can still offer personalised in blood signed paperback copies(other peoples type 'O') if required, posted or handed over at Rangers this Saturday if need be. melh64@hotmail.co.uk
John Honney is being liberal with the truth, he was waterboarded into purchase. Difficult to do in the Grand Union canal.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024