Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Simon Barker 08:31 - Nov 4 with 1786 viewskingsburyR

Happy BIrthday.

One of the unsung hero's of that talented team.

What are your thoughts on him.

For me a real steady Eddie who never got the credit he deserved (well apart from that Liverpool game)

Thoughts?

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Simon Barker on 08:55 - Nov 4 with 1758 viewsDiscodroids

Not only do i share the same birthday as Simon, I also Have a son called Simon as well !(named after Stainrod, not Barker)

incredible scenes.

Happy birthday Simon, One of the good guys and an underrated player by many. but not us.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2015 9:56]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Simon Barker on 08:57 - Nov 4 with 1753 viewskingsburyR

Many Happy Returns Disco!!!!!

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Simon Barker on 09:07 - Nov 4 with 1737 viewsingeminate

Mavis definitely didn't get as much love as the others around that time. Always used to be one of the last to leave the pitch, made a point of clapping away support. Remember he scored a couple of peaches including a great chip -think against Sheffield Wednesday.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Simon Barker on 09:52 - Nov 4 with 1698 viewsTheBlob

Happy Birthday Disco.

As Taylor said...."keep 'em flying.......the flags of discontent"

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Simon Barker on 09:59 - Nov 4 with 1681 viewsbosh67

Happy birthday to Simon and Disco! Two unsung heroes.

Last night a perfect gift delivered by our lot.

"Happy birthday. See? We do listen. We only let in one goal now."

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Simon Barker on 10:15 - Nov 4 with 1653 viewsDiscodroids

Simon Barker on 09:59 - Nov 4 by bosh67

Happy birthday to Simon and Disco! Two unsung heroes.

Last night a perfect gift delivered by our lot.

"Happy birthday. See? We do listen. We only let in one goal now."

hahaha..It could be worse bosh, I remember coming home from a 1-o birthday defeat at home to Northampton in the old division 2 , coming home miserable and finding a Letter from my then Mrs to say she had left me to live on A new age christian commune in the forest of Dean !!. I knew things were bad but.. not that bad!!

Ps bosh , im keeping an eye on your output from soundclound , a tie dye mixture of Brian Eno, Tangerine dream The Sparks, Chemical Brothers and Prog rock.

keep up the good work.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2015 10:16]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Simon Barker on 11:42 - Nov 4 with 1587 viewsscot1963

Happy Birthday Disco - have a great day

Simon Barker on 12:19 - Nov 4 with 1557 viewsNov77

I used to cringe whenever he stepped up to take a penalty, old toblerone boots. I particularly liked his recreation of the Kerry Dixon penalty at the loft end, when he tried to clear the roof of the school end and only just failed.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Login to get fewer ads

Simon Barker on 12:33 - Nov 4 with 1543 viewsOakR

Always liked him, remember him always having really a really great ability to kill high balls dead at his feet for some reason.

Part of a good era, him and Holloway always put in a shift for Wilkins.

Poll: Will we stay up?

Simon Barker on 13:12 - Nov 4 with 1517 viewsisawqpratwcity

Happy Birthday, Disco!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Simon Barker on 13:19 - Nov 4 with 1504 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Legendary haircut, legendary fan-clapper.

According to the programme notes for,ooh, thousands of games in succession, he played for the England Under-21's. Great lad.

He was a fine player, in fairness. Understood the game - positioning, reading, tempo, marking and getting forward. Even used to do a reasonable job when asked to play right mid despite having glacial pace. A likeable and honest man, too. We had the world of time for him.

One abiding memory, however, was up at Hillsborough when some hard-feeling hoor of a team-mate put him clear on goal with a full forty yards to run and only ten yards head start on his pursuers. It was never going to be enough. It was just cruel, and proof that no god existed. No slow man deserved such a public humiliation as this.

We were on the upper tier and watched as Mavis summoned every ounce of the little pace he had and took off for the distant paradise of the Spion Kop goal. Not for him the easy pull-back, not for him the passing of the buck. By god - and maybe there was a god after all - he was going to aim for paradise, and off he took.

Slowly he trundled, slowly Wednesday's centre-backs trundled after him. Five yards, ten yards, fifteen yards, they were closing, but maybe, just maybe he could make it. Maybe a following wind would catch his voluminous hair and propel him forward, maybe all the Wednesday lads would fall over, maybe, just maybe...

It went on for some time, news vans were dispatched to Hillsborough and commenced reporting back. Crowds flocked. Questions were asked in the Houses of Parliament. Maybe, just maybe...

And then, with resignation, slowly at first, but with growing doom we realised that they would catch him, it was only a matter of time, he was the trundling ill-fated wildebeest, they were lions (not owls), we'd seen this on the telly too many times, we knew how it ended - there would be blood. It was the brief hope of survival that made the forthcoming carnivorous slaughter all the more horrific. They would eat him up. There was no god. There never was.

At the last second, I think we all closed our eyes, or turned around. Maybe Mavis briefly saw the heavenly white line of the penalty area before the hordes descended, maybe he even drew back his right boot to shoot, maybe - ever so briefly -he even dared to dream that this would be - as it surely would be - the greatest goal ever scored by anyone ever. Maybe, but we couldn't look...it was horrible...

A silence engulfed the crowd, the City, the Nation. A terrible sadness bore deep into souls all over the world. As we helped each other out of the stadium Kevin from The Wonder Years stood there saying something about how, deep down we all knew that something inside us died that day and we knew that we would never be the same again. I decked him. Little bastard.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Simon Barker on 15:10 - Nov 4 with 1448 viewsqueensparker

Simon Barker on 09:07 - Nov 4 by ingeminate

Mavis definitely didn't get as much love as the others around that time. Always used to be one of the last to leave the pitch, made a point of clapping away support. Remember he scored a couple of peaches including a great chip -think against Sheffield Wednesday.

I'd go further than that, for a long time after joining he was the Henry of the era, used to get dog's abuse from the Paddock for the first two seasons. We've always got to have one at Rangers.

It was only after he was man of the match in the Liverpool cup game that the crowd really warmed to him.
Simon Barker on 20:49 - Nov 4 with 1383 viewsCamberleyR

"For me a real steady Eddie who never got the credit he deserved (well apart from that Liverpool game) "

Not forgetting the game at Hillsborough in the relegation season when he scored a brace including that brilliant chipped effort which someone alluded to above.

He wasn't massively appreciated at the time but oh for a Simon Barker in our current midfield.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Simon Barker on 22:29 - Nov 4 with 1347 viewsw7r

Barker epitomized Gerry's "consistency" mantra - and he was, you always knew what you were going to get from him, a solid no nonsense performance every game, was indeed a solid player for us did a great job. Remember him getting a load of abuse from some idiots toward the end of his career - disgraceful. Always gave everything.

Happy birthday Simon ( & disco!)
Simon Barker on 23:27 - Nov 4 with 1320 viewsCiderwithRsie

Glorious stuff from Brian Mac above.

Have to agree with Camberley, he got a load of abuse from the stands and IIRC was regarded as even a bit pricey at, what, £400k or something? As did Holloway - when they were both selected in the midfield you could hear the moans go around the ground, not to mention a fair bit of flack for Gerry for having bought Holloway and fielded them both. It's nice to see the appreciation now for one of the good guys.

Happy birthday to both Mr Barker and Disco. Mind where you sleep tonight, I wouldn't want either of you waking up on a bonfire.
Simon Barker on 23:43 - Nov 4 with 1305 viewsingeminate

Simon Barker on 23:27 - Nov 4 by CiderwithRsie

Glorious stuff from Brian Mac above.

Have to agree with Camberley, he got a load of abuse from the stands and IIRC was regarded as even a bit pricey at, what, £400k or something? As did Holloway - when they were both selected in the midfield you could hear the moans go around the ground, not to mention a fair bit of flack for Gerry for having bought Holloway and fielded them both. It's nice to see the appreciation now for one of the good guys.

Happy birthday to both Mr Barker and Disco. Mind where you sleep tonight, I wouldn't want either of you waking up on a bonfire.

Was it him who had the testimonial against Jamaica?

Remember Deon burton pulling up in a Porsche outside South Africa road like he was puff daddy - amazing atmosphere, the Jamaican fans had no songs for the players just rampant enthusiasm.

Good times.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Simon Barker on 00:26 - Nov 5 with 1286 viewsBluce_Ree

Hapy bidet and all that but I'm pretty sure he wasn't very good.

I do remember him scoring a lovely chip over some hapless prick though.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Simon Barker on 00:34 - Nov 5 with 1280 viewsCiderwithRsie

Simon Barker on 23:43 - Nov 4 by ingeminate

Was it him who had the testimonial against Jamaica?

Remember Deon burton pulling up in a Porsche outside South Africa road like he was puff daddy - amazing atmosphere, the Jamaican fans had no songs for the players just rampant enthusiasm.

Good times.

Wasn't it Sir Les who had the Jamaica testimonial? All a bit of a blur, I'm afraid, probably because they were indeed good times
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024