Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jordan Pickford 16:19 - Jun 13 with 3745 viewsCammington

29 half decent games in a dogsh*te Sunderland side.

Now the 3rd most expensive goalkeeper of all time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40258852

World's gone mad.
Jordan Pickford on 16:22 - Jun 13 with 3725 viewsWatford_Ranger

He's worth it. Could be the Everton goalkeeper for 10 years+.

What would someone of similar experience in another position be worth like Rashford? Much more and arguably less proven.
Jordan Pickford on 16:36 - Jun 13 with 3694 viewsCammington

Jordan Pickford on 16:22 - Jun 13 by Watford_Ranger

He's worth it. Could be the Everton goalkeeper for 10 years+.

What would someone of similar experience in another position be worth like Rashford? Much more and arguably less proven.

I'm inherently wary about keepers that go down but look good with terrible defences in front of them. He may well turn out to be worth it, it just seems a little ludicrous to me that he's played barely one season where he's had to save 6,7 or 8 shots a game and is suddenly worth 30 million notes.
Jordan Pickford on 16:39 - Jun 13 with 3682 viewsMedwayR

I'm not sure Rashford would be worth much more at the moment, although he has the potential to be worth far more.

It's a big risk by Everton, I'm glad they're looking to invest in young English talent but it's a lot of money for someone who hasn't played much and also has no experience in Champions League or international football. I know it's only one game but I wasn't impressed when he played against us for PNE, he was decent but he didn't strike me as being top class.

Poll: Who’s better?

Jordan Pickford on 16:39 - Jun 13 with 3682 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Jordan Pickford on 16:36 - Jun 13 by Cammington

I'm inherently wary about keepers that go down but look good with terrible defences in front of them. He may well turn out to be worth it, it just seems a little ludicrous to me that he's played barely one season where he's had to save 6,7 or 8 shots a game and is suddenly worth 30 million notes.

It's mad isn't it.
Crazy money.
Jordan Pickford on 17:23 - Jun 13 with 3592 viewsrunningman75

Probably still on lower wages than Júlio César at Loftus Road!
Jordan Pickford on 17:42 - Jun 13 with 3548 viewsNorthernr

- A post straight from the Richard Keys book of football started in 1992 and consists of one division. Pickford has in excess of 100 Football League appearances under his belt and looked excellent at Preston.

- Sunderland spent £10m on Craig Gordon a decade ago and he's sht. This fee is £18m up front so isn't that much of a stretch in the general context of ludicrous transfer fees.

- Sissoko cost £30m, I'll take Pickford cheers.

- 23 yo, already a very good first team keeper in the Prem approximately 7 years away from his prime.

- good news for us when it comes to valuing Smithies.

- good point about keepers looking good keeping the score down behind dreadful defences. Sadly this may also apply to Smithies to some extent.

- good move for him. Pleased he didn't just go and sit on the bench at Chelsea or somewhere.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Jordan Pickford on 17:55 - Jun 13 with 3512 viewsWadR

Another thing to add to Clive's list is that one of the big differences between Pickford and a relegated keeper like David Marshall who everyone fleetingly rated just because he was facing 10+ shots on target per game, is that Pickford is an excellent footballer too.

His distribution is probably better any other British keeper and is a massive asset considering ability with the ball at your feet is an increasingly vital facet to a top level keeper's game.

£30m sounds about right tbh
Jordan Pickford on 18:08 - Jun 13 with 3482 viewsNorthernr

Jordan Pickford on 17:55 - Jun 13 by WadR

Another thing to add to Clive's list is that one of the big differences between Pickford and a relegated keeper like David Marshall who everyone fleetingly rated just because he was facing 10+ shots on target per game, is that Pickford is an excellent footballer too.

His distribution is probably better any other British keeper and is a massive asset considering ability with the ball at your feet is an increasingly vital facet to a top level keeper's game.

£30m sounds about right tbh

Remember him at Preston pinging the ball about. This is another big part of Smithies' game and why Green was so overrated.
Login to get fewer ads

Jordan Pickford on 18:08 - Jun 13 with 3481 viewssimmo

It's a position Everton desperately need to strengthen and he is already better than anything they already have. He will be an instant 1st teamer and could hold that position for 10+ years. At the very least he will be sold on for more as he will only improve.

It's also in line with the Everton ethos of buying young, mostly english players. Lookman, Calvert Lewis, Bowler, etc... They are not afraid to buy young or from lower divisions. The price is strong but I do think it's worth it in todays market, especially when 12m of the 30 is add-ons and performance related bonuses.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Jordan Pickford on 18:32 - Jun 13 with 3437 viewsElHoop

Everton probably want to spend now before everyone knows how much they have to spend from their sales. I can see them doing plenty of decent business - they've got Steve Walsh remember.
Jordan Pickford on 19:24 - Jun 13 with 3388 viewsFredManRave

Jordan Pickford on 16:39 - Jun 13 by CroydonCaptJack

It's mad isn't it.
Crazy money.

Looks like Teresa May is correct. Austerity is over.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Jordan Pickford on 19:34 - Jun 13 with 3382 viewsEastR

Jordan Pickford on 18:08 - Jun 13 by Northernr

Remember him at Preston pinging the ball about. This is another big part of Smithies' game and why Green was so overrated.

Smithies to Man City for £35m on that basis.let's start that rumour and see who picks it up.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Jordan Pickford on 19:42 - Jun 13 with 3342 viewsCammington

Jordan Pickford on 17:42 - Jun 13 by Northernr

- A post straight from the Richard Keys book of football started in 1992 and consists of one division. Pickford has in excess of 100 Football League appearances under his belt and looked excellent at Preston.

- Sunderland spent £10m on Craig Gordon a decade ago and he's sht. This fee is £18m up front so isn't that much of a stretch in the general context of ludicrous transfer fees.

- 23 yo, already a very good first team keeper in the Prem approximately 7 years away from his prime.

- good point about keepers looking good keeping the score down behind dreadful defences. Sadly this may also apply to Smithies to some extent.

- good move for him. Pleased he didn't just go and sit on the bench at Chelsea or somewhere.

Bit harsh Clive, I'm well aware he has experience in the Football League. That sort of money doesn't fly around though for a guy whose previous experience counts Darlington, Alfreton Town, Burton, Carlisle, Bradford and PNE and is obviously because he played 30 decent games for Sunderland.

Fair point about the breakdown of the transfer fee, a fair chunk is add ons which I hadn't seen at the time.

Genuinely hope he does well and is a smart move for him as opposed to sitting on Chelsea's or Man U's bench as you say. Can only be good for the national team.
Jordan Pickford on 19:48 - Jun 13 with 3326 viewsMrSheen

Lovely mover.
Never drops anything.
Jordan Pickford on 21:51 - Jun 13 with 3231 viewsderbyhoop

Really good keeper, but £30m still seems very steep. Even if a lot of it os performance related.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Jordan Pickford on 01:06 - Jun 14 with 3096 viewsMatch82

Jordan Pickford on 17:42 - Jun 13 by Northernr

My first thought on seeing the news was "good, that just raised the asking price for Smithies by 50%.

Is it worth it for a keeper? Sure, if he's that good (doubt Juve have any regrets about Buffon). Given the ludicrous amounts of money in the Prem right now it probably isnt breaking the bank either
Jordan Pickford on 01:29 - Jun 14 with 3085 viewsBoston

Jordan Pickford on 21:51 - Jun 13 by derbyhoop

Really good keeper, but £30m still seems very steep. Even if a lot of it os performance related.

Keeps it up, he'll soon be on plumbers money.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Jordan Pickford on 09:35 - Jun 14 with 2970 viewsterryb

I would have thought that Pickford was worth twice the valuation of Hart, so that would make the initial £18 million about right.

A fee for Smithies should be based on Hart's fee. If that is above £8 to £10 million is would be excessive.

I don't think that we could ask for the same amount of add on's as Sunderland could as Smithies won't become the first choice for England. Pickford copuld be by nect Summer.
Jordan Pickford on 20:07 - Jun 14 with 2811 viewsWatford_Ranger

I'd happily lay across Windsor high street and let Smithies walk on me to avoid getting his shoes dirty but it's pointless comparing what we'd get for him with this. Pickford is already a far better player and should one day be in a different stratosphere.
Jordan Pickford on 20:21 - Jun 14 with 2795 viewsFredManRave

Jordan Pickford on 20:07 - Jun 14 by Watford_Ranger

I'd happily lay across Windsor high street and let Smithies walk on me to avoid getting his shoes dirty but it's pointless comparing what we'd get for him with this. Pickford is already a far better player and should one day be in a different stratosphere.

Are you saying that Smithies will only ever be in the troposphere?!

It's understandanble that comparative questions are being asked though. Smithies is our best player and will undoubtedly play Premier League football in the near future.

Present value in todays market is 8million according to GWL;

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-much-could-qpr-s

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Jordan Pickford on 00:02 - Jun 15 with 2714 viewsNorthernr

Jordan Pickford on 20:07 - Jun 14 by Watford_Ranger

I'm not saying Smithies is as good as Pickford or ever will be but I don't agree that the comparison is pointless.

I've been saying on here for months that you'll all be disappointed with what we get for Smithies, partly because he's got no Prem experience but also because goalkeepers are notoriously under valued. This is a big wedge being paid for a goalkeeper which may well lift the value of all other goalkeepers slightly.

And if you don't believe me, look at the effect Newcastle and Villa spending £10m each on Gayle and Kodija last summer had on the market for Championship standard strikers. Suddenly you've got Hogan going for £12m, Vydra for £8m etc.
Jordan Pickford on 08:20 - Jun 15 with 2646 viewspaulparker

Don't mind Pickford seems a good keeper the only thing I would say is he lacks presence in the way a Schmeichel or a seamen does , perhaps that comes with age and experience but pickford seems a confident lad so good luck to him , but if I was Everton I would have gone in for Butland who I think is England's best keeper by a country mile such a shame he has had the injury problems he has had because he should have replaced Hart after the Euros (btw who has Forster upset that he cannot get a game for England ? )
as for smithies he has to be at least 7-8 million especially when you hear Sunderland are buying or after the useless sam johnstone from man yoo for 5 million

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Jordan Pickford on 09:42 - Jun 15 with 2600 viewsdaveB

The money being paid is ridiculous but this move and Bournemouth buying a keeper means it's really only Huddersfield or Brighton who will come in for Smithies from the Prem so a stronger change he'll stay now
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024