Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... 12:45 - Jan 31 with 5378 viewsthompsonridd

I have seen this used on a few threads where fans are assuming we will "stumble over the line" at the end of the season.

Very dangerous for anyone to think this. We lost 6 in a row at end of last season and only just survived. Two or three losses on the bounce (look at our upcoming away games) and we're right in the mire.

I think we should be busting a gut to get a striker but it looks like nothing will happen.
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 12:49 - Jan 31 with 4110 views2Thomas2Bowles

Call the club and offer to give them £10M and bust a gut for a striker

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 12:53 - Jan 31 with 4086 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Do charitable contributions count against FFP headroom calculations?

Furthermore, do bears 5hit in the woods?
[Post edited 31 Jan 2018 12:54]
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 12:55 - Jan 31 with 4072 viewsdaveB

If the last few years should have taught us anything it's that signing more players and spending more doesn't mean we'll get any better, more often than not we've got worse after spending.

No guarantee we'll stay up whether we sign 10 players today or none
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 13:04 - Jan 31 with 4036 viewsR_from_afar

I totally agree that it is a very dangerous assumption. As we have seen a number of times, lose a few in a row and the confidence drains away, with the result that a few can become a lot. There is no room for complacency.

That said, credit to Ollie and the team, they won key games against our relegation rivals Burton and Birmingham. Those may be poor teams but we're not great and you still have to actually deliver the result.

The trouble with your plan is we can't spend much due to FFP. It would have to be a loan but no club is going to let anyone decent go mid-season plus their wages might be too high. I hope we are pursuing at least one loan striker, perhaps we are, but if we get one, they might be thoroughly underwhelming, so brace yourself for the inevitable, vitriolic backlash.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 13:14 - Jan 31 with 3980 viewsessextaxiboy

Whoever we end up with after today , IMO we should just get behind the team ..and the manager , enjoy the young players who get a game and try to keep the points ticking over .

We will win some draw some and lose some but IMO if we stick together we will coast over the line.

Then those who want a change can make their case , but this pitching backwards and forwards on every result does not help anybody ....IMO
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 13:17 - Jan 31 with 3953 viewsDorse

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 13:14 - Jan 31 by essextaxiboy

Whoever we end up with after today , IMO we should just get behind the team ..and the manager , enjoy the young players who get a game and try to keep the points ticking over .

We will win some draw some and lose some but IMO if we stick together we will coast over the line.

Then those who want a change can make their case , but this pitching backwards and forwards on every result does not help anybody ....IMO

'GET HIM!'

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 13:45 - Jan 31 with 3848 viewsTacticalR

The problem with the much longed for (and much needed) new striker is that even if we could afford one there is no guarantee that the new striker could deliver quickly or regularly. For what it's worth I think our existing strikers (Washington/Smith) are so limited that the bulk of the goals will have to come from elsewhere - either from midfield (Luongo/Freeman), or defence (Robinson/Lynch), or from the youth setup (Smyth/Oteh).

Air hostess clique

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 14:01 - Jan 31 with 3796 viewsAshdown_Ranger

What would be more damaging to the club?

1) Buying a striker, surviving in the Champ, but breaking FFP regs and getting fined (again).

2) Getting relegated to League 1, but remaining within FFP rules.

With the appeal against the FFP fine on-going, the club has to show it's taking it seriously and acting responsibly. Overspending again (by buying a striker) wouldn't help our appeal.

I actually think we'll survive with our current squad.
Login to get fewer ads

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 14:05 - Jan 31 with 3774 viewsSimonJames

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 14:01 - Jan 31 by Ashdown_Ranger

What would be more damaging to the club?

1) Buying a striker, surviving in the Champ, but breaking FFP regs and getting fined (again).

2) Getting relegated to League 1, but remaining within FFP rules.

With the appeal against the FFP fine on-going, the club has to show it's taking it seriously and acting responsibly. Overspending again (by buying a striker) wouldn't help our appeal.

I actually think we'll survive with our current squad.

I suspect if we were relegated we would end up breaking FFP next season anyway.

100% of people who drink water will die.

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 14:12 - Jan 31 with 3742 viewsSimonJames

I think we will stumble over the line.
The question in my mind is "How will things be noticeably better next season?"

100% of people who drink water will die.

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 14:50 - Jan 31 with 3666 viewsNorthernr

What are we paying for this striker with?
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 15:00 - Jan 31 with 3632 viewskingsburyR

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 13:17 - Jan 31 by Dorse

'GET HIM!'

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 15:19 - Jan 31 with 3601 viewsdaveB

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 14:12 - Jan 31 by SimonJames

I think we will stumble over the line.
The question in my mind is "How will things be noticeably better next season?"

Whatever happens in the rest of the season and whoever the manager or DOF is in the summer it's a massive summer for the club.

A lot of out of contract players and a real chance to build a smaller squad with a bit more quality and over the next few years build a team capable of challenging at the top end of the league. If we get it wrong this summer though I give up
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 15:23 - Jan 31 with 3589 viewsLunarJetman

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 14:50 - Jan 31 by Northernr

Hopes and dreams by the sounds of it...
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 15:34 - Jan 31 with 3567 viewsSharpy36

The same stuff we give to Penrice. Do we really need him on the payroll if the current climate stays the same ?

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 15:48 - Jan 31 with 3505 viewsNorthernr

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 15:34 - Jan 31 by Sharpy36

The same stuff we give to Penrice. Do we really need him on the payroll if the current climate stays the same ?

1 - Are you seriously suggesting the money paid to a scout (probably only retainer money as well, not a full time contract) would be enough for a striker, or any professional footballer for that matter? I bet Joe Lumley is on more than fcking Penrice.

2 - If you can't just go out and buy the proven players we already all know about (and we can't) then isn't a scout who can find players of Freeman and Scowen's ability who we can afford even more important?

This post has been edited by an administrator
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 15:51 - Jan 31 with 3490 viewsLythamR

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 15:34 - Jan 31 by Sharpy36

The value of Penrice should be shown this summer when we shed a lot of out of contract players and can hopefully make some smart acquisitions.

is anyone really expecting a striker today, I shouldnt think there is a hope in hell
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 16:01 - Jan 31 with 3457 viewsSharpy36

Of course i`m not suggesting what Penrice and his assistants are being paid would cover the cost of a player, i`m merely saying in our current predicament is it worth having a recruitment consultant.

'You didn't know that was wrong, but now you do. If you do it again, I'll know you are doing it on purpose.'

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 16:10 - Jan 31 with 3413 viewsblacky200

Have we signed Messi yet
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 16:11 - Jan 31 with 3408 viewsGloucs_R

Only 4 first team / main squad players are OOC in the summer now.

Chief / Perch / Mackie / Robinson and then there's JET and Lumley. £90k a week in wages between them?

Depending on where we are at with FFP - they all could be released.

Going into next season, a load of players in their final year. Players we paid money for:

Sylla / Lynch / Washington / Pawel / Hall / Cousins then Baptiste and Furlong. Looking at that list, I think the club will try and move 2-3 of those on at least.

Poll: Are we staying up?

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 16:26 - Jan 31 with 3357 viewsmarky67

is peter odemwingie still sitting in his car outside loftus road?
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 16:32 - Jan 31 with 3331 viewsQPR_John

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 14:05 - Jan 31 by SimonJames

I suspect if we were relegated we would end up breaking FFP next season anyway.

That's a trick not many could achieve break FFP and get relegated
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 16:42 - Jan 31 with 3282 viewsCFW

I have always said that Ollie is a good man, no one doubts his love of the club and his ambition to do well for the club he loves as well as the directors and supporters. The same could be said of Bircham. The problem is Ollie is unfortunately not a very good manager anymore and I have fail to see what Birch brings to the table. Any other manager with his record since being appointed would have been sacked - he has kept his job simply because he has such an affinity with QPR.

We stayed up last year simply because there were four clubs in the Championship that were worse than us and I think it will be the same this season. Burton are gone, Sunderland are on the brink and Bolton are not much better. I really do not care where we finish at the end of the season as long as we stay up - if we manage that then Ollie would have done his job. We cannot ask anymore given our financial situation. We are kidding ourselves if we think we are a team that might be pressing for a play off place.

For the next season we should be looking to change our manager, thank him and Birch for their efforts and look to employ a new manager, look to get rid of the out of contract players and take a long hard look at the squad and try and build a team for the following season. Hopefully by then this joke of a FFP situation will be sorted and we can start again and build from the bottom up.

I was really hoping for more consistency this year but that has not happened (not helped by injury's) and we have gone from one good result followed by three or four bad. What we have seen however is at least the players for the most part have given everything.
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 17:04 - Jan 31 with 3227 viewsthompsonridd

Loan.

We've got rid of 11 players including Caulker, Ngbakoto & Borysiuk, maybe some available for loan costs
STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 17:09 - Jan 31 with 3215 viewsGloucs_R

STUMBLING OVER THE LINE...... on 16:42 - Jan 31 by CFW

I have always said that Ollie is a good man, no one doubts his love of the club and his ambition to do well for the club he loves as well as the directors and supporters. The same could be said of Bircham. The problem is Ollie is unfortunately not a very good manager anymore and I have fail to see what Birch brings to the table. Any other manager with his record since being appointed would have been sacked - he has kept his job simply because he has such an affinity with QPR.

We stayed up last year simply because there were four clubs in the Championship that were worse than us and I think it will be the same this season. Burton are gone, Sunderland are on the brink and Bolton are not much better. I really do not care where we finish at the end of the season as long as we stay up - if we manage that then Ollie would have done his job. We cannot ask anymore given our financial situation. We are kidding ourselves if we think we are a team that might be pressing for a play off place.

For the next season we should be looking to change our manager, thank him and Birch for their efforts and look to employ a new manager, look to get rid of the out of contract players and take a long hard look at the squad and try and build a team for the following season. Hopefully by then this joke of a FFP situation will be sorted and we can start again and build from the bottom up.

I was really hoping for more consistency this year but that has not happened (not helped by injury's) and we have gone from one good result followed by three or four bad. What we have seen however is at least the players for the most part have given everything.

Expect dogs abuse from one particular poster for calling out Ollie!!

Poll: Are we staying up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024