Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Emerging Youngsters 20:03 - Jun 4 with 4153 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Probably one for Smegma, who will emerge from next season a QPR regular in the same way Lumley, Eze, and Furlong did?

A great time to be a QPR youth player.
Emerging Youngsters on 21:54 - Jun 4 with 3969 viewsUPPERLOFTNZ

If we get hold of a decent defensive midfielder, I can see Ilias Chair getting a few run outs - he's tiny (about 56 kg!) so will need support/protection but a VERY talented player who reads the game well and runs non stop. Only issue is that he'll be in competition with Eze for the same role.

Football is Faith
Poll: OK.. Next season. Where do you think we will finish?

Emerging Youngsters on 22:20 - Jun 4 with 3920 viewsdannyblue

Wasn’t Chair successful coming off the left on loan? While Eze’s had most success central. So perhaps they could play together.
Emerging Youngsters on 04:25 - Jun 5 with 3758 viewsLadbrokeR

This is interesting as one of the criticisms ive heard levelled at mcclaren is that he never gave youngsters a fair chance. I’ve often asked who are these youngsters and as far as I can tell it’s Chair Oteh and Smyth. Which brings us back to the original question are they good enough. Looking forward they’ll have to be.
Emerging Youngsters on 12:48 - Jun 5 with 3550 viewssimmo

Emerging Youngsters on 22:20 - Jun 4 by dannyblue

Wasn’t Chair successful coming off the left on loan? While Eze’s had most success central. So perhaps they could play together.

Assuming we sell Freeman, you would hope that Eze, BOS, Chair and Smyth would all be competing for the 3 attacking spots behind the striker, with Shodipo not far behind them. All can play on either wing and off the striker, with Smyth able to play up top too (although probably not on his own).

4 good young attacking players that are interchangeable and although they won't always start, it's good to have options to rotate or rest.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Emerging Youngsters on 23:53 - Jun 5 with 3199 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Emerging Youngsters on 12:48 - Jun 5 by simmo

Assuming we sell Freeman, you would hope that Eze, BOS, Chair and Smyth would all be competing for the 3 attacking spots behind the striker, with Shodipo not far behind them. All can play on either wing and off the striker, with Smyth able to play up top too (although probably not on his own).

4 good young attacking players that are interchangeable and although they won't always start, it's good to have options to rotate or rest.

Who have all grown up and played together too, mostly.
Emerging Youngsters on 01:21 - Jun 6 with 3144 viewsozranger

Speaking of midfielders and players from Scottish teams, a certain Mark Milligan was recently released from Hibs and is quite a solid person in that holding midfield role who can also play centre back. I think my fellow Aussies would agree with this assessment. He would be a good fit with Mass as well. He's 33 but still quite a good player and regular in the Oz side.
Emerging Youngsters on 06:54 - Jun 6 with 3034 viewssmegma

To the OP, of the current crop of players in the under 23s , Charley Kendall should emerge as a decent centre forward. Centre back Joe Gubbins started to shine at the end of this season playing half a dozen games following a decent season in the u18s .As did midfielder turned centre back Nathan Carlyle. Whether they will make the first team squad its difficult to say but they are still teenagers.
Emerging Youngsters on 08:05 - Jun 6 with 2937 viewsEsox_Lucius

Emerging Youngsters on 06:54 - Jun 6 by smegma

To the OP, of the current crop of players in the under 23s , Charley Kendall should emerge as a decent centre forward. Centre back Joe Gubbins started to shine at the end of this season playing half a dozen games following a decent season in the u18s .As did midfielder turned centre back Nathan Carlyle. Whether they will make the first team squad its difficult to say but they are still teenagers.

I spoke with Charley Kendall, Ali Omar & Faisal Bettache before our last game of the season and was asking them about their contracts etc. and Charley was insistent that this is going to be his season to break through into the first team squad. Ben Wells was another who thought he may be able to improve next season too.

The grass is always greener.

Login to get fewer ads

Emerging Youngsters on 08:25 - Jun 6 with 2907 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Dalling has just signed. Any good?
Emerging Youngsters on 09:52 - Jun 6 with 2757 viewsSir_Chops

Dalling, Bettache, Bansal-McNulty all signed and looking for 'big seasons'. Kendall mentioned a few times by Smegma.

I wonder if it's possible to get a few of these out on loan and get some league football under their belts while still in their teens. It's reflect the progress if our youngsters were getting bigger loans earlier than 21/22.

Seem to remember someone saying the u18s staff were pretty excited by Franklin Domi too just after he joined us. Any news on him staying?
Emerging Youngsters on 10:06 - Jun 6 with 2724 viewsstevec

Emerging Youngsters on 23:53 - Jun 5 by BazzaInTheLoft

Who have all grown up and played together too, mostly.

All of those four are 5 foot 9 or less.

Difficult to build so many of a similar ilk into one team, all good footballers but these days reckon lack of physicality is a handicap for all but the very best of players.
Emerging Youngsters on 10:48 - Jun 6 with 2606 viewsozexile

Emerging Youngsters on 09:52 - Jun 6 by Sir_Chops

Dalling, Bettache, Bansal-McNulty all signed and looking for 'big seasons'. Kendall mentioned a few times by Smegma.

I wonder if it's possible to get a few of these out on loan and get some league football under their belts while still in their teens. It's reflect the progress if our youngsters were getting bigger loans earlier than 21/22.

Seem to remember someone saying the u18s staff were pretty excited by Franklin Domi too just after he joined us. Any news on him staying?

Totally agree. These loans should be happening at 18/19. Then they're either ready for the 1st team at 21 or release. We can't keep players at 24 years of age and still expect them to break into the 1st team.
Emerging Youngsters on 10:54 - Jun 6 with 2583 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Emerging Youngsters on 10:06 - Jun 6 by stevec

All of those four are 5 foot 9 or less.

Difficult to build so many of a similar ilk into one team, all good footballers but these days reckon lack of physicality is a handicap for all but the very best of players.

If they were 6' + they would have been nicked by a Prem team, under EPPP, long ago.

That's why we get them, good prospects but lacking the physical metrics that Prem teams require.

If while with us that they can compete against the big boys (Chair?) then they will just be bought back in.
Emerging Youngsters on 11:30 - Jun 6 with 2504 viewsstevec

Emerging Youngsters on 10:54 - Jun 6 by WrightUp5hit___

If they were 6' + they would have been nicked by a Prem team, under EPPP, long ago.

That's why we get them, good prospects but lacking the physical metrics that Prem teams require.

If while with us that they can compete against the big boys (Chair?) then they will just be bought back in.

That is true but a lot of sides in this Division, with similar financials to us, do find rock solid players and that is invariably the difference between them and us, thinking specifically of Sheffield United.

That first home game of last season was a salutory lesson. Think they went a goal up around 65th minute and then spent 25 minutes of the next half hour holding the ball and we were physically unable to wrestle it back off them.

A lot has been said, much of it unfair criticism in my view, of the loan players that came in but the addition of 6 footers Cameron and Rangel transformed our play. From September to December don't think we got out muscled in hardly any game.

Not suggesting we rely on all 6 footers but we are building up what is effectively four midfield/number 10's of limited stature and that will certainly mean us being at a physical disadvantage.

Certainly over the last 10 years, thinking back as far as the Warnock promotion season, most games in the Championship are a war of attrition for 60 minutes, and if you lose that battle you invariably go on to lose the game.
Emerging Youngsters on 12:17 - Jun 6 with 2393 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

I’m obviously not saying we are Barcelona or Ajax, but they survive with with a very short side.

Depends what system we deploy I guess. I’m happy to take a banging from Preston or the other animals occasionally if we play a useful and intelligent style against everyone else.

A solid big bastard back four would help too obviously.
Emerging Youngsters on 12:20 - Jun 6 with 2381 viewskingsburyR

I'm trying to stay half glass full but this thread shows we are in for a looooong season coming!

You R'ssssssssssssssssss

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Emerging Youngsters on 14:24 - Jun 6 with 2172 viewsEsox_Lucius

Emerging Youngsters on 08:25 - Jun 6 by BazzaInTheLoft

Dalling has just signed. Any good?

From what I have seen of him on the U23 streams he looks a very exciting player on the wing. I wonder if he could play left wingback?

The grass is always greener.

Emerging Youngsters on 15:29 - Jun 6 with 2061 viewsderbyhoop

From various reports, mostly yours, those 3 look the best prospects moving up to U23 level. Whether any of last year's U23s will be good enough is, IMHO, more questionable.
I'm far from convinced about Oteh, Walker, Kakay and Hammelainnen (scuse spelling).
Chair and Smyth, both of whom spent time on loan look to have the best chance of breaking through in 2019/20.
And as stevec(?) said none of them are big and could get bullied.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Emerging Youngsters on 15:44 - Jun 6 with 2015 viewsDWQPR

Smyth for me is the stand out prospect and despite his lack of stature has shown that he is prepared to bully and not be bullied. His attitude reminds me a bit of the likes of Dennis Wise. Good footballer, small but a nasty bar steward. I would love to see Evil Les spend the summer with BOS, very similar builds and speed. I was delighted to see Shodipo given some minutes against Forest at the end of last season, have always liked him and as a winger keeps it simple, just get a bit of space and deliver the cross, don't need to worry about beating your man.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Emerging Youngsters on 17:05 - Jun 6 with 1907 viewsoldmisery

Emerging Youngsters on 11:30 - Jun 6 by stevec

That is true but a lot of sides in this Division, with similar financials to us, do find rock solid players and that is invariably the difference between them and us, thinking specifically of Sheffield United.

That first home game of last season was a salutory lesson. Think they went a goal up around 65th minute and then spent 25 minutes of the next half hour holding the ball and we were physically unable to wrestle it back off them.

A lot has been said, much of it unfair criticism in my view, of the loan players that came in but the addition of 6 footers Cameron and Rangel transformed our play. From September to December don't think we got out muscled in hardly any game.

Not suggesting we rely on all 6 footers but we are building up what is effectively four midfield/number 10's of limited stature and that will certainly mean us being at a physical disadvantage.

Certainly over the last 10 years, thinking back as far as the Warnock promotion season, most games in the Championship are a war of attrition for 60 minutes, and if you lose that battle you invariably go on to lose the game.

Re: Six Footers. I've stood next to Rangel on a number of occasions when he's been stationed behind the dug out. He's the same height as me, 5 foot 10 inches. But what does that signify anyway? Sir Les was almost unbeatable in the air; also 5 foot 10 and Paul Parker was totally unbeatable in the air; 2 foot 6!
Emerging Youngsters on 18:41 - Jun 6 with 1770 viewsHastings_Hoops

Emerging Youngsters on 12:48 - Jun 5 by simmo

For the first time since the mid 90s we’ve got an abundance of natural wingers with pace which can swap sides, cut inside and mix things up - I would like to think we’d try to play 4-4-2 (or similar) with the option of using two of either Eze, BOS, Shodipo or Chair on the wing at any one time with Smyth up front playing off Smith (or similar). This would encourage competition for places, allow some rest, keep all five keen and to develop some succession planning when we sell one or two of them on.

...that’s the front line sorted. Just midfield and defence to think about!
Emerging Youngsters on 23:04 - Jun 6 with 1552 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Emerging Youngsters on 18:41 - Jun 6 by Hastings_Hoops

For the first time since the mid 90s we’ve got an abundance of natural wingers with pace which can swap sides, cut inside and mix things up - I would like to think we’d try to play 4-4-2 (or similar) with the option of using two of either Eze, BOS, Shodipo or Chair on the wing at any one time with Smyth up front playing off Smith (or similar). This would encourage competition for places, allow some rest, keep all five keen and to develop some succession planning when we sell one or two of them on.

...that’s the front line sorted. Just midfield and defence to think about!

I think that's the dream, Hastings, and I'd love a return to the Gerry Francis days of the early 90's, but in the modern climate of three in central midfield you need two massive all-rounders to even think about playing just two in there. I'm not sure anyone has those them, and - not to be critical of our lads - I don't think we do.

i think that's why the players we have bought/developed are adaptable and can play as wingers and also as part of a 433.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Emerging Youngsters on 06:48 - Jun 7 with 1419 viewsdistortR

Emerging Youngsters on 10:54 - Jun 6 by WrightUp5hit___

Chair ain't a big boy, mate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024