Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Germans 10:54 - Jun 12 with 6270 viewsted_hendrix

You cant watch Basil doing his German thingy sketch anymore on UKTV's streaming service as it's been taken down, as Basil once said to Sybil "What's the point, what's the bloody point?"

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Germans on 11:12 - Jun 12 with 2662 views2Thomas2Bowles

I think you could find fault in just about any program
On the list should be to start

Dad's Army , all-white cast and them fuzzy wuzzies and germans.

It Ain't Half Hot Mum, Poofs and Asian terms.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 11:17]

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

The Germans on 11:15 - Jun 12 with 2680 viewsPhildo

Its because it has the N word not the german thing. Most other platforms removed that part a couple of years ago so I suspect it will be back up soon with that bit edited.
The Germans on 11:15 - Jun 12 with 2665 viewsBoston

Yes, but they started it by invading Poland!

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Germans on 11:33 - Jun 12 with 2599 views2Thomas2Bowles

Jonathan Ross, well yes he should be taken down off air .... 4 poofs and a piano?

The Germans on 11:36 - Jun 12 with 2603 viewsMaggsinho

The Germans on 11:15 - Jun 12 by Phildo

Its because it has the N word not the german thing. Most other platforms removed that part a couple of years ago so I suspect it will be back up soon with that bit edited.

Yep, John Cleese approved the edit to remove the N word from the Majors lines in 2013, UKTV wereusing the old version still.
The Germans on 11:41 - Jun 12 with 2581 viewskensalriser

The Germans on 11:33 - Jun 12 by 2Thomas2Bowles

Jonathan Ross, well yes he should be taken down off air .... 4 poofs and a piano?

It's OK for NWA to call themselves NWA.

It's OK for 4 Poofs and a Piano to name themselves too.

It's not OK to use those terms as insults.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

The Germans on 11:41 - Jun 12 with 2581 viewsMetallica_Hoop

It will be 'Allo Allo' next.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The Germans on 11:42 - Jun 12 with 2574 viewsHayesender

I watched the young ones a few weeks ago on britbox I think it was. Anyway, there's an episode where they win a Ford tippex, and a policeman says "sorry John, I thought you was a n*****"

I was surprised to see it completely uncut tbf

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Login to get fewer ads

The Germans on 11:44 - Jun 12 with 2564 viewsdaveB

I watched this with my son a few months ago and he loved it but the Major using the N word did feel a bit shocking when i saw it, couldn't believe it hadn't been edited out.
The Germans on 11:44 - Jun 12 with 2564 viewskensalriser

The Germans on 11:41 - Jun 12 by Metallica_Hoop

It will be 'Allo Allo' next.

Is that Matt Hancock, the Health Secretary?

The Germans on 11:48 - Jun 12 with 2532 views2Thomas2Bowles

The Germans on 11:41 - Jun 12 by kensalriser

It's OK for NWA to call themselves NWA.

It's OK for 4 Poofs and a Piano to name themselves too.

It's not OK to use those terms as insults.

Oh, I did not know that... Thanks...

I'll be glad when they remove all Vietnam war films, or do a hell of a lot of editing.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 11:51]

The Germans on 12:04 - Jun 12 with 2506 viewsSonofNorfolt

No more Papa Lazarou from The League Of Gentlemen either.
I don't get it.
The Germans on 12:08 - Jun 12 with 2483 viewsdaveB

It's just a token effort from broadcasters to say they did something. They won't tackle the actual issue about a lack of diversity in boardrooms or in shows so throwing a few old shows off air for a few months is a quick win for them
The Germans on 12:11 - Jun 12 with 2478 viewskensalriser

The Germans on 12:08 - Jun 12 by daveB

It's just a token effort from broadcasters to say they did something. They won't tackle the actual issue about a lack of diversity in boardrooms or in shows so throwing a few old shows off air for a few months is a quick win for them

Yeah, tokenism at best. All about being seen to be doing the right thing more than actually doing the right thing.

The Germans on 12:22 - Jun 12 with 2451 viewsqprxtc

Fawlty Towers is a fictional comedy show. The characters in it are various exaggerations of certain behavioural types, especially British ones.

The major is a 80 ish year old man that has lived through two world wars and his vocabulary and world view are of his time.

These are characters in a fictional comedy show. Not all are going to be nice people with appropriate language. Not many of the characters in Fawlty Towers are that sympathetic but that’s the comedy of it.

Look at a film like Pulp Fiction. This has negative racial slurs throughout the film along with a high amount of violence. This can be watched on Netflix by anyone of any age, day or night. If I was to choose which I consider does more to continue stereotypes, I’d say this would. But I wouldn’t take away peoples choice to see it and make up their own minds.

Fiction has the right to portray the characters it depicts with the language that they would use. That may not fit in with the current world view but it’s not a reason to ban or stop people viewing it.

Tv shows, films, books, plays. All these things are there for us to participate in. They bring out emotions in us which is a good thing. That includes feeling uncomfortable at certain situations.

The difference is they are fictional and part of a narrative. Changing language or banning them is not the way to fundamentally change anyone’s world view but it does retrospectively change our cultural lineage.

To me these stories are important human expressions. They are not always cosy, fluffy ones. Some can make us question our behaviour and maybe look to change it.

Fawlty Towers has language in it that is out of place and wrong. But in the context of the situation, characters and time it was truthful.
The Germans on 12:31 - Jun 12 with 2420 viewsted_hendrix

The Germans on 11:44 - Jun 12 by daveB

I watched this with my son a few months ago and he loved it but the Major using the N word did feel a bit shocking when i saw it, couldn't believe it hadn't been edited out.

I've watched the German repeat episode countless times, hand on heart I've never heard the Major use the N word, I just started reading the BBC header mentioning the Germans, guess I should have read the whole story (my bad).

I better not watch 'Till Death Us Do Part'

Silly old Moo.

World has gone mad anyway..

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

The Germans on 13:38 - Jun 12 with 2286 viewsDannytheR

The Germans on 12:08 - Jun 12 by daveB

This is it exactly.

Deliberately manages to not address a bigger and more damaging problem - like you say, try finding black faces at senior levels in TV or broadcasting - while failing to even explain why they're doing what they're doing, making the whole issue look trivial and "PC Gone Mad."
The Germans on 13:39 - Jun 12 with 2284 viewsR_from_afar

When I lived in Austria in the 1980s, I lodged in a grand house on the edge of town. The elderly Austrian owners lived on the top floor and let out rooms on the other two floors.

A Turkish bloke started renting a room and they used to refer to him (in German) as "The Turk". I had to point out to them that he did in fact have a name, Hakan Sukur*. Poor by them.

* Only joking, he was actually called Altu

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

The Germans on 14:24 - Jun 12 with 2196 viewsqpr_1968

the dam busters has been on quite a bit lately as well.
can see that being knocked on the head.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

The Germans on 14:38 - Jun 12 with 2158 viewsBoston

The Germans on 13:39 - Jun 12 by R_from_afar

When I lived in Austria in the 1980s, I lodged in a grand house on the edge of town. The elderly Austrian owners lived on the top floor and let out rooms on the other two floors.

A Turkish bloke started renting a room and they used to refer to him (in German) as "The Turk". I had to point out to them that he did in fact have a name, Hakan Sukur*. Poor by them.

* Only joking, he was actually called Altu

You’ll be having a word with Rod Stewart I presume? Billy left home with a dollar in his pocket...

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The Germans on 14:43 - Jun 12 with 2151 viewsflynnbo

They'll probably get rid of "Love Thy Neighbour" next!!! Seriously though, "Rising Damp" may also go.
The Germans on 14:45 - Jun 12 with 2149 viewsflynnbo

The Germans on 11:15 - Jun 12 by Phildo

There's also the scene with the black doctor.
The Germans on 14:59 - Jun 12 with 2115 viewskensalriser

The Germans on 14:45 - Jun 12 by flynnbo

There's also the scene with the black doctor.

The joke, as always, is on Fawlty. He's a caricature who's supposed to be loathsome and of course, has loathsome opinions.

It only dawned on me a few years that some people didn't actually understand the Germans sketch and thought it was taking the piss out of Germans rather than Fawlty as a proxy stereotype.

The Germans on 15:09 - Jun 12 with 2081 viewsdaveB

The Germans on 12:31 - Jun 12 by ted_hendrix

I've watched the German repeat episode countless times, hand on heart I've never heard the Major use the N word, I just started reading the BBC header mentioning the Germans, guess I should have read the whole story (my bad).

I better not watch 'Till Death Us Do Part'

Silly old Moo.

World has gone mad anyway..

to be honest I'd never heard it either until i re watched them on Netflix earlier this year, I think it had been edited out of the dvd but not all of the tv repeats.
The Germans on 15:15 - Jun 12 with 2066 viewsLythamR

The Germans on 14:59 - Jun 12 by kensalriser

The joke, as always, is on Fawlty. He's a caricature who's supposed to be loathsome and of course, has loathsome opinions.

It only dawned on me a few years that some people didn't actually understand the Germans sketch and thought it was taking the piss out of Germans rather than Fawlty as a proxy stereotype.

I dont agree with this rewriting or erasing. Yes i wouldnt expect a modern day comedy programme to use the terms referred to but. these programmes reflect society at a period of time and as such are important reference points and part of our heritage and shows how far we have come as a society regarding racism, hompaphobia etc, a old comedy programme or a film is not the same as a monument to a slaver plonked in the centre of a town.

If we try and erase the past how will people be able to effectively measure and appreciate the efforts of those who struggled to overcome those prejudices.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024