Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
LFW Book Club #358 12:41 - Dec 28 with 1124 viewsMrSheen

To take my mind off last night’s debacle, I have started reading “Fall” by John Preston, about the rise and, you guessed it, fall of Robert Maxwell, a Christmas present from Miss Sheen minora. Ridiculously entertaining, worth buying for the prelude alone, where our hero buys the New York Daily News - pure “Succession”. The same author wrote “A Very English Scandal”, about Jeremy Thorpe and Norman Scott, the basis of the Hugh Grant series - also fantastic.

Any other suggestions?
LFW Book Club #358 on 12:56 - Dec 28 with 1094 viewsMick_S

I’ve just finished Marley and Me. Heavy stuff.

Woof.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

LFW Book Club #358 on 12:58 - Dec 28 with 1080 viewsdistortR

I've started "A Time of Gifts", the first of Patrick Leigh Fermor's trilogy about walking from Holland to Constantinople in the 30's. My wife got me the set for Christmas. Beautifully written, wonderfully evocative and highlighting my lack of classical and historical knowledge to an embarrassing degree.

Trying to make a time-machine out of cardboard boxes so that I can get there, at that time.
LFW Book Club #358 on 13:09 - Dec 28 with 1048 viewsbollockchops

when Maxwell was mp for bucks i went round his house for bob a job with the cubs ,
LFW Book Club #358 on 17:44 - Dec 28 with 964 viewsderbyhoop

I recommend The Sellout by Paul Beatty.
It won the MAN Booker, but don't let that put you off.

Finally got round to reading The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Surprisingly easy to read.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

LFW Book Club #358 on 17:56 - Dec 28 with 948 viewsdmm

Two books on the go:

The Dawn of Everything - a new history of humanity by David Graeber and David Wengrow. Astonishing and groundbreaking research.

A history of Queens Park Rangers FC by Dennis Signy (1969). If you really want to know about the Brentford takeover scandal, this is the book.
LFW Book Club #358 on 17:59 - Dec 28 with 944 viewsQPRSteve

LFW Book Club #358 on 17:56 - Dec 28 by dmm

Two books on the go:

The Dawn of Everything - a new history of humanity by David Graeber and David Wengrow. Astonishing and groundbreaking research.

A history of Queens Park Rangers FC by Dennis Signy (1969). If you really want to know about the Brentford takeover scandal, this is the book.

have the Dawn of Everything as an audiobook. Big mistake. Sends me to sleep whenever I give it a listen. Will probably get the paperback when it comes out.
LFW Book Club #358 on 18:53 - Dec 28 with 906 viewsdmm

LFW Book Club #358 on 17:59 - Dec 28 by QPRSteve

have the Dawn of Everything as an audiobook. Big mistake. Sends me to sleep whenever I give it a listen. Will probably get the paperback when it comes out.

I've never done an audio book but can imagine The Dawn of Everything would be a hard listen. It's sometimes a bit heavy going but the rewards are so worth it.
LFW Book Club #358 on 09:02 - Dec 29 with 781 viewstoboboly

Just finished "the grind" - a look at a baseball season through the eyes of the GM, wives, backroom staff etc. Quite good if you like your baseball and want a different view of a season rather than the star players.

Moving on to "the miracle of castel di sangro" next.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Login to get fewer ads

LFW Book Club #358 on 13:44 - Dec 29 with 716 viewsMrSheen

Finished the Maxwell book 28 hours after starting it. You'd have to call it a page turner. Mercifully no mention of events alleged to have taken place in north-west London in April 1986, because they never happened.
LFW Book Club #358 on 13:49 - Dec 29 with 712 viewsPaddyhoops

650 pages into David Copperfield. 100 to go.
Great perspective on how life was in the 1840s!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024