Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rob Dickie 12:56 - Aug 17 with 8766 viewskernowhoop

Wolves, Leeds and Newcastle are all said to be interested in him. Are we going to lose him? If so, how would the gap left by a strong and intelligent player be filled?
Personally, I fear that, if he left, our chances of getting to the play-offs would be weakened considerably, but is there a more optimistic outcome?
Rob Dickie on 13:05 - Aug 17 with 4406 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Nice easy one this.

Either pay through the nose of fck off.
Rob Dickie on 13:41 - Aug 17 with 4243 viewsCiderwithRsie

This is the Johansen thing in reverse.

There were people who doubted we could get SJ from Fulham because he was under contract and "Fulham hold all the cards." If we did get him, we'd have to throw money at it which maybe we don't have. Then we signed him for £600k.

That was cheaper than I expected but reinforces the reason I always thought he'd sign i.e. he wants to be here, presumably because he likes the team, the manager, the club, and thinks we're going places. And if the player wants out the club is stupid to try to keep them, just as I wouldn't want an employee who wanted out.

Dickie is doing great with us, the manager loves him, he seems happy with his team-mates, and we look like a promotion club. Wolves etc aren't his one chance of getting into the Premiership, he could do it with us or he could wait until next summer when even more clubs will have him on their radar. Unless his head's turned - and he seems pretty sound in interviews - he won't want to go.

If we get offered enough money to transform the club finances then I guess Hoos or Reuben might push for a sale irrespective of players' wishes. But we have a decent shot at promotion this year, maybe never repeated (not just because we have this team but because so many other clubs are basket cases) and promotion was estimated to be worth £170m a few years back, so it'd better be a bloody good offer to get us to break up a potential promotion side.

Now we aren't bedwetting about relegation, can everyone stop bedwetting about happy players being stolen from us? This isn't like BOS and Manning.
Rob Dickie on 13:43 - Aug 17 with 4218 viewsNorthernr

Almost certainly, touch wood, lazy clickbait stuff. Guy's playing well, making headlines, scoring goals. Transfer window is open. Let's pick three Premier League clubs at random and do a story about it. People lap it up, so they keep churning it out.
Rob Dickie on 14:03 - Aug 17 with 4097 viewsrobith

Compared to a lot of our recent trasnfer dealings, we do hold quite a lot of cards though. 3 years left under contract, both player and club know another year and a move will be worth way way more.

Only way I see him moving is it's too much money to turn down, or the player downs tools (which I couldn't see over a move to Wolves tbh)
Rob Dickie on 14:07 - Aug 17 with 4076 viewsNorthernr

Rob Dickie on 14:03 - Aug 17 by robith

Compared to a lot of our recent trasnfer dealings, we do hold quite a lot of cards though. 3 years left under contract, both player and club know another year and a move will be worth way way more.

Only way I see him moving is it's too much money to turn down, or the player downs tools (which I couldn't see over a move to Wolves tbh)

The decision, I think, will come next summer. You'd think/hope they'd be thinking/trying to extend his deal at some point this season, if he won't then you sell next summer because otherwise he's then going into that countdown to expiry that we got burned with on Manning and Bright, next two transfer windows after that clubs will know he's got 18 months, then 12 months left.
Rob Dickie on 14:10 - Aug 17 with 4053 viewsQPR_John

Rob Dickie on 13:41 - Aug 17 by CiderwithRsie

This is the Johansen thing in reverse.

There were people who doubted we could get SJ from Fulham because he was under contract and "Fulham hold all the cards." If we did get him, we'd have to throw money at it which maybe we don't have. Then we signed him for £600k.

That was cheaper than I expected but reinforces the reason I always thought he'd sign i.e. he wants to be here, presumably because he likes the team, the manager, the club, and thinks we're going places. And if the player wants out the club is stupid to try to keep them, just as I wouldn't want an employee who wanted out.

Dickie is doing great with us, the manager loves him, he seems happy with his team-mates, and we look like a promotion club. Wolves etc aren't his one chance of getting into the Premiership, he could do it with us or he could wait until next summer when even more clubs will have him on their radar. Unless his head's turned - and he seems pretty sound in interviews - he won't want to go.

If we get offered enough money to transform the club finances then I guess Hoos or Reuben might push for a sale irrespective of players' wishes. But we have a decent shot at promotion this year, maybe never repeated (not just because we have this team but because so many other clubs are basket cases) and promotion was estimated to be worth £170m a few years back, so it'd better be a bloody good offer to get us to break up a potential promotion side.

Now we aren't bedwetting about relegation, can everyone stop bedwetting about happy players being stolen from us? This isn't like BOS and Manning.

“If we get offered enough money to transform the club finances then I guess Hoos or Reuben might push for a sale irrespective of players' wishes.”

If a move is not in the interests of the player there will be no move irrespective of the wishes of Hoos or Reuben
Rob Dickie on 14:13 - Aug 17 with 4013 viewsgazza1

If the right offer came in for him.....for example, £20 million, then I do not think we could hold onto him unless he wants to stay.

Who knows but as already said, he appears to be enjoying his time at the Rangers.
Rob Dickie on 14:17 - Aug 17 with 4014 viewsqueensparker

He’s scored a lot of goals so the attention’s on him now but don’t forget only last season he was being deliberately targeted by the opposition for being slow and pulling people back. I don’t think he’s ready for a glamour Prem move yet despite all the hype, and he seems sensible enough to know that too, another season learning and improving is surely best for all parties.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 14:17]
Login to get fewer ads

Rob Dickie on 14:21 - Aug 17 with 3975 viewsCiderwithRsie

Rob Dickie on 14:10 - Aug 17 by QPR_John

“If we get offered enough money to transform the club finances then I guess Hoos or Reuben might push for a sale irrespective of players' wishes.”

If a move is not in the interests of the player there will be no move irrespective of the wishes of Hoos or Reuben

Well I can't see it either, I'm just trying to think of the only circumstances where a move would make any sense for the parties.

All this'd be completely different if we had any reason to think Dickie wanted to go or it was a once-in-a-lifetime chance for him.
Rob Dickie on 14:23 - Aug 17 with 3955 viewsdaveB

Rob Dickie on 14:07 - Aug 17 by Northernr

The decision, I think, will come next summer. You'd think/hope they'd be thinking/trying to extend his deal at some point this season, if he won't then you sell next summer because otherwise he's then going into that countdown to expiry that we got burned with on Manning and Bright, next two transfer windows after that clubs will know he's got 18 months, then 12 months left.

unless we go up this year I think Dickie and Chair will both go next summer but thats OK with me really as long as we get good money for them and are able to reinvest.
Rob Dickie on 14:29 - Aug 17 with 3891 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Rob Dickie on 14:23 - Aug 17 by daveB

unless we go up this year I think Dickie and Chair will both go next summer but thats OK with me really as long as we get good money for them and are able to reinvest.

This is the key.

And on this aspect I have 100% faith in the Club finding a younger rawer replacement for a fraction of the money or through our youth system.
Rob Dickie on 15:00 - Aug 17 with 3762 viewsNewBee

Rob Dickie on 14:13 - Aug 17 by gazza1

If the right offer came in for him.....for example, £20 million, then I do not think we could hold onto him unless he wants to stay.

Who knows but as already said, he appears to be enjoying his time at the Rangers.

If, as some suggest, QPR are looking to emulate the Brentford "Buy Low, Sell High" model, then you will also be assigning a valuation to your players, kept under constant review as the player progresses (or regresses).

Meaning that if Dickie's current valuation is, say, £20m, and somebody meets that valuation, then he goes, end of.

A good example from BFC was Ollie Watkins, Apparently Spurs came in with a £20m "take it or leave it" offer and BFC left it, since they were pricing him more highly than that. But when Villa came in offering £25m + £7m add-ons. he was off.

Of course, securing the right price is only half the battle. For when you know that a key player is liable to go at any time, you should also have his replacement lined up - and Bees had already been monitoring Ivan Toney closely for well over a season.

Indeed, ideally the replacement is already in the building eg when Bees sold Maupay, they switched Watkins from playing wide on the left to a like-for-like replacement No.9. None of us fans had anticipated that, but the coaches has clearly spotted it in advance.

Which succession planning solves the dilemma between "Do we take the money now?" versus "Do we keep him to help us get promoted?"
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 15:01]
Rob Dickie on 15:07 - Aug 17 with 3728 viewsMatch82

Rob Dickie on 14:29 - Aug 17 by BazzaInTheLoft

This is the key.

And on this aspect I have 100% faith in the Club finding a younger rawer replacement for a fraction of the money or through our youth system.

...and it's notable that this would NOT have been the case as little as 3 years ago. This might be the area more than anything which makes me feel we finally have our Rangers back.
Rob Dickie on 15:23 - Aug 17 with 3632 viewsswisscottage

Rob Dickie on 15:00 - Aug 17 by NewBee

If, as some suggest, QPR are looking to emulate the Brentford "Buy Low, Sell High" model, then you will also be assigning a valuation to your players, kept under constant review as the player progresses (or regresses).

Meaning that if Dickie's current valuation is, say, £20m, and somebody meets that valuation, then he goes, end of.

A good example from BFC was Ollie Watkins, Apparently Spurs came in with a £20m "take it or leave it" offer and BFC left it, since they were pricing him more highly than that. But when Villa came in offering £25m + £7m add-ons. he was off.

Of course, securing the right price is only half the battle. For when you know that a key player is liable to go at any time, you should also have his replacement lined up - and Bees had already been monitoring Ivan Toney closely for well over a season.

Indeed, ideally the replacement is already in the building eg when Bees sold Maupay, they switched Watkins from playing wide on the left to a like-for-like replacement No.9. None of us fans had anticipated that, but the coaches has clearly spotted it in advance.

Which succession planning solves the dilemma between "Do we take the money now?" versus "Do we keep him to help us get promoted?"
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 15:01]

That's the reasoning behind signing Dunne.

The problem will be if all thee of our main CBs remain fit and continue putting in the performances, Dunne will play less matches for us that he did for Burnley.
Rob Dickie on 15:24 - Aug 17 with 3627 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Rob Dickie on 15:07 - Aug 17 by Match82

...and it's notable that this would NOT have been the case as little as 3 years ago. This might be the area more than anything which makes me feel we finally have our Rangers back.

Ultimately we are still ruled by a set of hyper capitalists who are major contributors to the almost unstoppable descent into climate extinction and inescapable misery of the human species, but yeah as billionaire sociopaths go we're doing alright at the moment and we do indeed look to be getting our Rangers back.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 16:10]
Rob Dickie on 15:33 - Aug 17 with 3585 viewssaxbend

Who apart from Aston Villa has enough money to buy him from us now? Well maybe PSG. Not sure about Man City as they must be at their FFP limit by now.
Rob Dickie on 15:34 - Aug 17 with 3576 viewsknocker

Highly likely that oxford have a sell on clause and will be entitled to percentage of any fee.
Rob Dickie on 15:39 - Aug 17 with 3550 viewsNewBee

Rob Dickie on 15:23 - Aug 17 by swisscottage

That's the reasoning behind signing Dunne.

The problem will be if all thee of our main CBs remain fit and continue putting in the performances, Dunne will play less matches for us that he did for Burnley.

Good point - I'd forgotten about Dunne.

Though if he's seen as (potentially) "the next Rob Dickie", then he would need to be ready to step in and play 40-odd Championship games next season, should Dickie get sold in the summer.

Which would mean getting fairly regular game time this season, in preparation.
[Post edited 17 Aug 2021 15:40]
Rob Dickie on 15:53 - Aug 17 with 3482 viewsCiderwithRsie

Rob Dickie on 15:39 - Aug 17 by NewBee

Though if he's seen as (potentially) "the next Rob Dickie", then he would need to be ready to step in and play 40-odd Championship games next season, should Dickie get sold in the summer.

That's why I don't think Dickie will go at any price before next summer.

Dunne is no more than promising atm and I don't think he could simply slot in without there being a loss of quality which could be enough to cost a promotion shot. Any target we might have would have to familiarise himself with the rest of the unit, it's not just about their inherent quality.

I expect us to sell any player at the right price but it's not just price, it's timing. Sell a key player now and we have lost our preparation and have to start again. We did all our buying early and I think anyone who hasn't made an offer yet will be told to come back next summer.
Rob Dickie on 15:55 - Aug 17 with 3459 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Rob Dickie on 15:39 - Aug 17 by NewBee

I doubt JDW will stay fit all season, so even if RD stays, JD will get game time.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Rob Dickie on 16:18 - Aug 17 with 3349 viewsTacticalR

They shouldn't touch our Dickie.

Air hostess clique

Rob Dickie on 16:40 - Aug 17 with 3254 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Rob Dickie on 15:55 - Aug 17 by PlanetHonneywood

I doubt JDW will stay fit all season, so even if RD stays, JD will get game time.

That's what I initially thought, but then I thought "what if I've confused the initials?".

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Rob Dickie on 16:49 - Aug 17 with 3199 viewsderbyhoop

Any player is available; at the right price. Not just QPR but every club.

Dickie is very important to us, especially this season, and any offer is likely to have an extra nought on the end of what we paid for him. Not convinced that a) there is anything in it (Clive's clickbait summary) and b) we'd let him go in the next 2 weeks when we have the best chance in years to get promoted ourselves and c) his lack of pace will be a drawback

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Rob Dickie on 17:17 - Aug 17 with 3073 viewsted_hendrix

He's had one season and two games of Championship football, that Is absolutely not enough to warrant a move to the Premiership.
No Prem club are gonna spend big wonga on a Championship defender at this stage of his career.
I'll bet here's still here at the end of this season.
Next season? probably not.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Rob Dickie on 17:35 - Aug 17 with 2978 viewsMedwayR

Rob Dickie on 17:17 - Aug 17 by ted_hendrix

He's had one season and two games of Championship football, that Is absolutely not enough to warrant a move to the Premiership.
No Prem club are gonna spend big wonga on a Championship defender at this stage of his career.
I'll bet here's still here at the end of this season.
Next season? probably not.

Joe Rodon went to Spurs last year after a similar amount of games to Dickie for £11m, albeit slightly younger I believe. Adam Webster joined Brighton after about 100games for £20m I think it was.

I doubt Dickie will go anywhere until this season is over, then I'd expect big money plus a sell-on.

Same for others like Dieng and Chair. Unless we go up of course in which case we'll be in a position to keep Dickie, Dieng, Chair, Willock for a bit longer and ultimately end up in a similar position to Norwich were when they came down with Pukki, Cantwell, Arrons, Buendia etc where we can hold out and sell for big money only.

Poll: Who’s better?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024