Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
3 year deals 19:13 - Feb 21 with 2705 viewsNoDiddley

Why?
3 year deals on 19:15 - Feb 21 with 2684 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Would you join QPR under a short term deal?
3 year deals on 19:17 - Feb 21 with 2663 viewsJules4367

Usually because he has moved from relative security and wants to know that he has such for the foreseeable future. Why would he move if it was only to the end of the season and if he is given a one year term with no commitment by the club then again he might just as well stay where he is.

I would say that it is a gesture of commitment he required by the club (as with Critchley!

I may well be totally wrong but end of season contract or 1-2 year wouldn't be enough to move i suspect???

The forum is likely to have other thoughts.......
3 year deals on 19:22 - Feb 21 with 2619 viewsBlue_Castello

3 year deals on 19:17 - Feb 21 by Jules4367

Usually because he has moved from relative security and wants to know that he has such for the foreseeable future. Why would he move if it was only to the end of the season and if he is given a one year term with no commitment by the club then again he might just as well stay where he is.

I would say that it is a gesture of commitment he required by the club (as with Critchley!

I may well be totally wrong but end of season contract or 1-2 year wouldn't be enough to move i suspect???

The forum is likely to have other thoughts.......

My thoughts exactly, Ainsworth has a very secure job you have to offer him something substantial to get him to leave, he won't be on a mega salary so the contract is the security.
Let's face it he is the one doing us a favour, there were very few realistic candidates out there and we needed someone quickly, this would all never have happened if Beale hadn't jumped ship.....
3 year deals on 19:26 - Feb 21 with 2572 viewsdaveB

If he does well and we only gave him 18 months we'd have to give him a big pay rise this time next year. If it goes wrong you only ever pay off one year of the contract anyway

Also given how Chelsea are getting around FFP perhaps we should have given him 8 years
[Post edited 21 Feb 2023 19:27]
3 year deals on 20:10 - Feb 21 with 2401 viewsSimplyNico

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWHC/QB/2016/960.html - Gibbs v Leeds, para. 10. You have the answer to your question from Mr Justice Langstaff.

A very interesting case at many levels.
3 year deals on 23:59 - Feb 21 with 2153 viewsTacticalR

Isn't it effectively a tax on clubs for preserving the fiction that they're going to keep managers employed for a long time, when in all likelihood they will be employed for less than a year (especially in the Championship)? In other words, danger money.

The question then arises of managers like Nathan Jones at Southampton. Do they actually want to get sacked rather than sit through three years (or even three weeks) of abuse? (In cases of emergency smash glass and start talking about Welsh women).
[Post edited 22 Feb 2023 0:53]

Air hostess clique

3 year deals on 10:39 - Feb 22 with 1873 viewsPinnerPaul

Market forces - nothing more, nothing less
3 year deals on 13:32 - Feb 22 with 1737 viewsgazza1

3 year deals on 10:39 - Feb 22 by PinnerPaul

Market forces - nothing more, nothing less

Desperation on our behalf more like it.....GA is not a 'wanted' man especially.
Login to get fewer ads

3 year deals on 13:59 - Feb 22 with 1656 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

3 year deals on 13:32 - Feb 22 by gazza1

Lyndon Dykes <– OFF
Gareth Ainsworth –> ON
3 year deals on 14:14 - Feb 22 with 1629 viewsrobith

I find it very funny that people expect football people to accept contract terms they likely would not want to accept in their own lives.

I've been in my current role for 7 years - if someone came in with a job I liked, but were only offering 12 months, the conversation ends in "off"
3 year deals on 14:28 - Feb 22 with 1591 viewsqprd

3 year deals on 14:14 - Feb 22 by robith

I find it very funny that people expect football people to accept contract terms they likely would not want to accept in their own lives.

I've been in my current role for 7 years - if someone came in with a job I liked, but were only offering 12 months, the conversation ends in "off"

goes without saying but football is very very different than an office job

if an accountant wants to go from one accountancy to another, he's free to do so (assuming for a second no non competes, etc)... a football player cant unilaterally decide they want to go from qpr to man city in the middle of the contract

similarly, football players are exposed to injury and have short careers, which is why they need to have guaranteed contracts which ensure their compensation.... the overwhelming number of office jobs dont have terms- they just continue to roll over in perpetuity...

assuming you work in an office job, its not like your employer comes to you at the end of a 2.5 year contract and then says, we want to extend your deal for another 2 years.. the contract just continues to roll over year over year... on the flip side, your employer has much broader scope to sack you without paying you any compensation, other than some accrued severance

in that respect, footballers probably have more short-term job security than the average person who works in an office....
3 year deals on 14:43 - Feb 22 with 1533 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Shaun Maloney
3.5 Year Deal
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64439406.amp
3 year deals on 14:43 - Feb 22 with 1538 viewsrobith

3 year deals on 14:28 - Feb 22 by qprd

goes without saying but football is very very different than an office job

if an accountant wants to go from one accountancy to another, he's free to do so (assuming for a second no non competes, etc)... a football player cant unilaterally decide they want to go from qpr to man city in the middle of the contract

similarly, football players are exposed to injury and have short careers, which is why they need to have guaranteed contracts which ensure their compensation.... the overwhelming number of office jobs dont have terms- they just continue to roll over in perpetuity...

assuming you work in an office job, its not like your employer comes to you at the end of a 2.5 year contract and then says, we want to extend your deal for another 2 years.. the contract just continues to roll over year over year... on the flip side, your employer has much broader scope to sack you without paying you any compensation, other than some accrued severance

in that respect, footballers probably have more short-term job security than the average person who works in an office....

I was not literally comparing office jobs to football, but thanks for the lecture.
3 year deals on 15:04 - Feb 22 with 1478 viewsqprd

3 year deals on 14:43 - Feb 22 by robith

I was not literally comparing office jobs to football, but thanks for the lecture.

you do realise you said that people wouldnt accept contracts in their own personal lives that they expect footballers/managers to accept?

my point is that all these comparisons of football contracts to your non football contract arent really applicable

in your case, its obvious youre not even familiar with how your own contract works- probation periods, notice periods, redundancy pay, severance... those are the protections the average employee (including most likely you) get in their employment contracts

guaranteed fixed term contracts are how footballers and managers get their employee protections

do you think youve worked in your company for 7 years b/c you've signed 7 years worth of contracts? you probably signed an employment contract seven years ago and it hasnt been signed since....

comparing the average employee's contract with a footballer or football manager is pointless....
3 year deals on 15:15 - Feb 22 with 1454 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

3 year deals on 15:04 - Feb 22 by qprd

you do realise you said that people wouldnt accept contracts in their own personal lives that they expect footballers/managers to accept?

my point is that all these comparisons of football contracts to your non football contract arent really applicable

in your case, its obvious youre not even familiar with how your own contract works- probation periods, notice periods, redundancy pay, severance... those are the protections the average employee (including most likely you) get in their employment contracts

guaranteed fixed term contracts are how footballers and managers get their employee protections

do you think youve worked in your company for 7 years b/c you've signed 7 years worth of contracts? you probably signed an employment contract seven years ago and it hasnt been signed since....

comparing the average employee's contract with a footballer or football manager is pointless....

You can compare the right to sign or not sign a contact though can’t you? I assume this was Rob’s point?

Why do we expect footballers to sacrifice themselves just to appease the fan base?

The market, as Pinner pointed out and I showed with Shaun Maloney, is full of 3.5 year deals. I assume this is because 12 month deals don’t work for people and not because of some imagined incompetence.
3 year deals on 15:58 - Feb 22 with 1395 viewsstrikerace

I agree. He should have left a situation he has been at for 11 years and is very secure in, and gone on a month-to-month contract with QPR.
3 year deals on 16:06 - Feb 22 with 1359 viewsqprd

3 year deals on 15:15 - Feb 22 by BazzaInTheLoft

You can compare the right to sign or not sign a contact though can’t you? I assume this was Rob’s point?

Why do we expect footballers to sacrifice themselves just to appease the fan base?

The market, as Pinner pointed out and I showed with Shaun Maloney, is full of 3.5 year deals. I assume this is because 12 month deals don’t work for people and not because of some imagined incompetence.

footballers shouldnt sacrifice themselves- its not rational, and they need to look out for themselves... lee cook and angel rangel are the exceptions not the norm

i dont know what the market standard contract length is for a manager. of course, there's competition for managers (eg, there's a small pool of trusted managers, which is why the same names like chris wilder, etc keep coming up every time a vacancy opens).... managers like chris wilder can choose to go to us or other clubs... if we offer shorter contracts, our offer suddenly becomes less attractive, particularly in light of the other issues with managing qpr (bad track record of sacking managers, DoF role, limited budget, presumably lower compensation, etc)....

im sure we could offer someone a contract for 1 year and theyd accept... but like with everything else, you get what you pay for ... if your manager is willing to accept non market terms which are pretty sh*tty for a manager (ie, no job security), its more likely you're shopping for managers at the pound shop rather than selfridges....
3 year deals on 16:22 - Feb 22 with 1302 viewsPinnerPaul

3 year deals on 13:32 - Feb 22 by gazza1

No one moves for a short term deal, GA's not going to give up 10+ years at Wycombe for a deal just to the end of the season & good luck getting ANYONE to do it for a 15 game stint and that's it.
3 year deals on 17:31 - Feb 22 with 1204 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

3 year deals on 16:06 - Feb 22 by qprd

footballers shouldnt sacrifice themselves- its not rational, and they need to look out for themselves... lee cook and angel rangel are the exceptions not the norm

i dont know what the market standard contract length is for a manager. of course, there's competition for managers (eg, there's a small pool of trusted managers, which is why the same names like chris wilder, etc keep coming up every time a vacancy opens).... managers like chris wilder can choose to go to us or other clubs... if we offer shorter contracts, our offer suddenly becomes less attractive, particularly in light of the other issues with managing qpr (bad track record of sacking managers, DoF role, limited budget, presumably lower compensation, etc)....

im sure we could offer someone a contract for 1 year and theyd accept... but like with everything else, you get what you pay for ... if your manager is willing to accept non market terms which are pretty sh*tty for a manager (ie, no job security), its more likely you're shopping for managers at the pound shop rather than selfridges....

The market standard is two to four years.

We could offer someone a year, but that person would be Tim Sherwood or Paul Hart.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2023 17:32]
3 year deals on 20:05 - Feb 22 with 1050 viewsstainrods_elbow

3 year deals on 19:22 - Feb 21 by Blue_Castello

My thoughts exactly, Ainsworth has a very secure job you have to offer him something substantial to get him to leave, he won't be on a mega salary so the contract is the security.
Let's face it he is the one doing us a favour, there were very few realistic candidates out there and we needed someone quickly, this would all never have happened if Beale hadn't jumped ship.....

He's not 'doing us a favour' - he chose to come, and , taking his interview as sincere, felt compelled to come. Clearly, contracts mean nothing in football, except to regulate compensation for the contractee in the event of termination, or theoretically to raise compensation for the club if the individual chooses to go elsewhere. Meanwhile, cautiously if punch-drunkenly happy though I feel about Wild Thing's arrival, I'm still waiting for Hoos' statement about the costs of paying off Critchley and his staff for their latest calamitous appointment.
[Post edited 22 Feb 2023 20:08]

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

3 year deals on 03:45 - Feb 23 with 924 viewsLblock

If you wanted a man to the end of the season then he joined Uddersfield the week before the Critch bullet was loaded into the chamber.
The ClownMafia wouldn’t have had that though.

Let’s hope Ains gets offered an extension in 18 months due to success
I shall back him next season no matter what happens this - he strikes me as a thoroughly decent chap

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024