Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cardiff Dragons fc 14:23 - Feb 28 with 898 viewsHayesender

The Cardiff owner has said he may change the clubs name to Cardiff dragons should they get promoted

I'm half hoping they go up now

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Cardiff Dragons fc on 14:27 - Feb 28 with 887 viewsVUVU

What a wa**y name change!
They will be a laughing stock!... Especially from Swansea!
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

Bond: "Not until I see Kananga!" Kananga: "Rightttt... (Starts pulling face off)"

Cardiff Dragons fc on 14:42 - Feb 28 with 859 viewsHayesender

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2285815/Cardiff-City-consider-

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Cardiff Dragons fc on 14:45 - Feb 28 with 845 viewsHAYESBOY

Please let this happen.

Smells like a trout farm in here

Cardiff Dragons fc on 14:56 - Feb 28 with 823 viewsWeaverQPR

Is that Paddy Kenny on the back row, number 3

@WeavQPR

Cardiff Dragons fc on 15:06 - Feb 28 with 794 viewsimustbemad

They will go up, even Cardiff an't f'ck it up now. The Cardiff owners are friends with TF apparently. You just know they will end up like us. Dooooomed
Cardiff Dragons fc on 15:06 - Feb 28 with 789 viewsBklynRanger

I had a good read of one of their forums a couple of weeks ago - somebody here linked to it.

Anyway, I found it quite comforting in our situation.

They haven't even been promoted and already they're feeling like a rich foreigner's play thing. Comically outrageous stuff and I'm sure that $25million warchest is just the usual copy and pasted lazy journo guesswork.
Cardiff Dragons fc on 15:09 - Feb 28 with 783 viewsJuzzie

Please let it happen! New ground (what's to stop them changing the seats to red next season?), red shirts, new badge, new name = totally new club! What a joke.

Cardiff Dragons fc on 15:23 - Feb 28 with 745 viewsRblock_James

It is hilarious because its Cardiff but, in all seriousness its fcking criminal that an owner can completely change the identity of a club like this.

I hope they protest and drive the owner out. He sounds like a complete moron, who thinks he can turn them into some sort of Welsh Man Utd.

I'm still fuming about our shite tacky badge, imagine if we were playing in red with a name change!

Modern football at it's worst.
Login to get fewer ads

Cardiff Dragons fc on 15:39 - Feb 28 with 712 viewsHollowayRanger

have said many times

IF i owned QPR

id change its name to

LONDON RANGERS

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Cardiff Dragons fc on 15:40 - Feb 28 with 710 viewstoboboly

Cardiff Dragons fc on 15:39 - Feb 28 by HollowayRanger

have said many times

IF i owned QPR

id change its name to

LONDON RANGERS

If you owned QPR you'd get pelted with turkey basters at every home game

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Cardiff Dragons fc on 15:44 - Feb 28 with 701 viewsRangersw12

Cardiff Dragons fc on 15:23 - Feb 28 by Rblock_James

It is hilarious because its Cardiff but, in all seriousness its fcking criminal that an owner can completely change the identity of a club like this.

I hope they protest and drive the owner out. He sounds like a complete moron, who thinks he can turn them into some sort of Welsh Man Utd.

I'm still fuming about our shite tacky badge, imagine if we were playing in red with a name change!

Modern football at it's worst.

Totally agree but looking at the Cardiff forums they have so many new fans nowadays that most of then don't care about the kit or the identity as all they want is the premier league dream and will sell their soul to get there

If we ever did anything similar and got rid of the Hoops I would never go again
Cardiff Dragons fc on 15:51 - Feb 28 with 680 viewsQPunkR

I hate Cardiff only behind the usual suspects of Chelscum etc, but even so I wouldn't wish this on any other club apart from Chelscum.
It truly is criminal that some bloke can take over a club and change in some instances nearly 150 years of history on a whim. Truly shocking.

But still, fúck 'em.

QPR - "shit but local"

Cardiff Dragons fc on 15:55 - Feb 28 with 670 viewsHollowayRanger

Cardiff Dragons fc on 15:51 - Feb 28 by QPunkR

I hate Cardiff only behind the usual suspects of Chelscum etc, but even so I wouldn't wish this on any other club apart from Chelscum.
It truly is criminal that some bloke can take over a club and change in some instances nearly 150 years of history on a whim. Truly shocking.

But still, fúck 'em.

problem is its working they will be promoted and for those outside cardiff

they WILL BE KNOWN as a team that plays in red and are called cardiff dragons

thats if they can pay off the real cardiff dragons!

next thing you're know their have them playing in England!

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Cardiff Dragons fc on 16:55 - Feb 28 with 623 viewsMerthyrHoop

I work in Cardiff, and I'm good mates with a lot of obsessive Cardiff City supporters, so it's quite hard to ignore all this that's been going on, which has essentially been a work in progress over the last few years.

I've personally never understood the hatred of CCFC from QPR fans, but in this case I don't think it's a situation to laugh at, as it could very well be us going down this path in the near future in our quest to become a 'global brand'

It all started when Cardiff qualified for the League Cup final last year. The club introduced an initiative that fans couldn't buy certain cup final tickets without purchasing a season ticket for the following season tying up their cash well in advance, and also invited people from the local area to come to the club shop to swap their Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal shirts for Cardiff ones.

The club then changed the badge, nickname and shirt colour without the backing of a majority of fans, and there has been clashes between supporters groups between those protecting the legacy of the club, against those craving the financial investment from the Malaysian owners. Cardiff Blues, the city's rugby team, have now left the CCS to go back to the Arms Park, so the football club will now face no opposition in changing the colour of the seats inside the stadium, and everything associated with it.

There has been a march on the stadium planned prior to a game over Easter, but the feeling is that the fight is lost. Many have boycotted the club, but those empty seats have since been filled by new supporters with no affinity to the club and it's history. I know of a Man Utd fan who has bought a season ticket at Cardiff because they will probably go up, there will definitely be others following that lead. The club recently left boxes of red scarves around the stadium during a game against Brighton, and apparently fans were fighting over them.

Now it's a question of what next. Club name change? The club playing the odd game in Kuala Lumpur? The club being made up entirely of Asian players? I know Cardiff's plight has raised a chucke here and that Tony Fernandes talks a good game, but this is evidence of how quickly a new owner can change the whole identity of a famous old club without much in the way of opposition with the promise of investment and the prospect of Premier League football.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, as this could easily set a dangerous precedent in terms of foreign club ownership, and the development of clubs into franchises, operated on the whim of people with no affinity to that club or town
Cardiff Dragons fc on 17:01 - Feb 28 with 605 viewstoboboly

As soon as they become the new PL whipping boys (replacing us) all their new found support will disappear.

They still have lots of debts as well don't they? Replacing seats wont be cheap.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Cardiff Dragons fc on 17:04 - Feb 28 with 597 viewsRblock_James

Hard to feel sorry for them when you get idiots like this

Sheep in every sense of the word
Cardiff Dragons fc on 17:08 - Feb 28 with 592 viewsToast_R

Cardiff Dragons fc on 16:55 - Feb 28 by MerthyrHoop

I work in Cardiff, and I'm good mates with a lot of obsessive Cardiff City supporters, so it's quite hard to ignore all this that's been going on, which has essentially been a work in progress over the last few years.

I've personally never understood the hatred of CCFC from QPR fans, but in this case I don't think it's a situation to laugh at, as it could very well be us going down this path in the near future in our quest to become a 'global brand'

It all started when Cardiff qualified for the League Cup final last year. The club introduced an initiative that fans couldn't buy certain cup final tickets without purchasing a season ticket for the following season tying up their cash well in advance, and also invited people from the local area to come to the club shop to swap their Liverpool, Man Utd and Arsenal shirts for Cardiff ones.

The club then changed the badge, nickname and shirt colour without the backing of a majority of fans, and there has been clashes between supporters groups between those protecting the legacy of the club, against those craving the financial investment from the Malaysian owners. Cardiff Blues, the city's rugby team, have now left the CCS to go back to the Arms Park, so the football club will now face no opposition in changing the colour of the seats inside the stadium, and everything associated with it.

There has been a march on the stadium planned prior to a game over Easter, but the feeling is that the fight is lost. Many have boycotted the club, but those empty seats have since been filled by new supporters with no affinity to the club and it's history. I know of a Man Utd fan who has bought a season ticket at Cardiff because they will probably go up, there will definitely be others following that lead. The club recently left boxes of red scarves around the stadium during a game against Brighton, and apparently fans were fighting over them.

Now it's a question of what next. Club name change? The club playing the odd game in Kuala Lumpur? The club being made up entirely of Asian players? I know Cardiff's plight has raised a chucke here and that Tony Fernandes talks a good game, but this is evidence of how quickly a new owner can change the whole identity of a famous old club without much in the way of opposition with the promise of investment and the prospect of Premier League football.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out, as this could easily set a dangerous precedent in terms of foreign club ownership, and the development of clubs into franchises, operated on the whim of people with no affinity to that club or town

Understand this

They came down to Loftus Road in 2002 and whacked us 4-0.

After the game their fans attacked QPR fans on South Africa Road and hurled missiles at innocent by standers who got hurt.

They attacked QPR fans at Ninian Park after we beat them 2-1 later that season.
They beat us in the Playoff final in the last minute of extra time and later attacked QPR fans outside the Millenium stadium.
They signed Richard Langley off us too rub salt in the wound.

Nice bunch.

Now I'm not saying that all their fans are scum, and ironically before that 4-0 game a mate and me got talking to two Cardiff fans before the game at The Bush Ranger as it were, who were really good blokes and we talked alot about football and wished each other well.

But there has been a bitterness since League 1 days due to that.
Cardiff Dragons fc on 17:19 - Feb 28 with 572 viewsJuzzie

"I've personally never understood the hatred of CCFC from QPR fans"

- Merthyr, I think a lot of it stems back to a few seasons around 2001-2003.

They'd come to Loftus Road (fair play, in good numbers) but create havoc. Groups of teenagers with 45 year old men in stone island jackets who should know better at their age. Sad fukkers. The Police would favour them getting into the ground whilst QPR fans had to walk all away around the ground if you wanted to get to Ellerslie Road from Bloemfontein Road. There was no advance warning this would happen so quite a few people got into the ground after kick-off when they'd have easily been inside 10 minutes before kick off.

They'd create havoc after the games too.

Then there's the 2003 Play-Off final and Sam Hammans snidey tricks; the hotel fire alarm, stopping the National anthem being played, ensuring they had both the 'home' end and 'home' dressing rooms, they even had to cheat with those stupid large balls game on the pitch before kick off.

Then after the game, the abuse QPR fans were gettin on the way out of the ground and out of the City. Plenty of fights down Princess Street as pi$$ed up people were coming out of the pubs to goad and attack QPR fans who just wanted to go home. I lost count how many times I was told to "fk off back to England you fking English cnt". Sometimes with Police around doing nothing.
Is that not racist or does it not apply when an English person is on the receiving end? God knows what would have happened had we won.

I never went to Ninian Park but I'm sure some people have some stories to tell.

I remember Dai-hoop saying that after the game at the new stadium where we drew 2-2 prior to our promotion, people were coming up to him thinking he was a QPR fan because he had those inflatables. Well, he was, but being Welsh himself he was able to say "taking them home for the kids, it was the only thing we got off them all afternoon" to aleviate what could have been a tricky situation.

Cardiff Dragons fc on 17:32 - Feb 28 with 551 viewsMerthyrHoop

Cardiff Dragons fc on 17:19 - Feb 28 by Juzzie

"I've personally never understood the hatred of CCFC from QPR fans"

- Merthyr, I think a lot of it stems back to a few seasons around 2001-2003.

They'd come to Loftus Road (fair play, in good numbers) but create havoc. Groups of teenagers with 45 year old men in stone island jackets who should know better at their age. Sad fukkers. The Police would favour them getting into the ground whilst QPR fans had to walk all away around the ground if you wanted to get to Ellerslie Road from Bloemfontein Road. There was no advance warning this would happen so quite a few people got into the ground after kick-off when they'd have easily been inside 10 minutes before kick off.

They'd create havoc after the games too.

Then there's the 2003 Play-Off final and Sam Hammans snidey tricks; the hotel fire alarm, stopping the National anthem being played, ensuring they had both the 'home' end and 'home' dressing rooms, they even had to cheat with those stupid large balls game on the pitch before kick off.

Then after the game, the abuse QPR fans were gettin on the way out of the ground and out of the City. Plenty of fights down Princess Street as pi$$ed up people were coming out of the pubs to goad and attack QPR fans who just wanted to go home. I lost count how many times I was told to "fk off back to England you fking English cnt". Sometimes with Police around doing nothing.
Is that not racist or does it not apply when an English person is on the receiving end? God knows what would have happened had we won.

I never went to Ninian Park but I'm sure some people have some stories to tell.

I remember Dai-hoop saying that after the game at the new stadium where we drew 2-2 prior to our promotion, people were coming up to him thinking he was a QPR fan because he had those inflatables. Well, he was, but being Welsh himself he was able to say "taking them home for the kids, it was the only thing we got off them all afternoon" to aleviate what could have been a tricky situation.

Fair enough....now I understand! I've lived here altogether for about seven years so know that the club has it's fair share of idiots, seen plenty of trouble involving just the type of scoundrels you've talked about despite not being caught up in any of those incidents you've mentioned.

Actually, believe it or not, theres lots of stories that QPR fans attacked and abused a bunch of local kids after that play-off final!

"fk off back to England you fking English cnt". As an Englishman living in Wales, I get that on a very frequent basis. You get used to it!
Cardiff Dragons fc on 11:33 - Mar 1 with 386 viewsTacticalR

Cardiff Dragons fc on 16:55 - Feb 28 by MerthyrHoop

A demonstration that the fans don't own or control the club (any more than employees own or control any other business).

The only difference seems to be that some clubs are a lot more clued up about relating to the fans, although at best this is 'consultation' not control.

These kind of changes didn't tend to be so significant in the past, because a lot of club owners were local businessmen (the ones in Nottingham were referred to as 'shithouse' by Brian Clough in the Damned United), the game was a national game, and football held little interest for the glitterati.

The difference now is that the Premiership is a global phenomenon, and is attracting international businessmen. This is producing strange hybrids such as grounds without any legroom for the fans, entrances through people's back gardens, yet with luxury restaurants inside (Loftus Road).

Is it surprising that some of these international businessmen have little respect for existing traditions? Perhaps Tan will move the club to the suburbs of Kuala Lumpur. We know the Premiership committees would approve such a move with little complaint.

Air hostess clique

Cardiff Dragons fc on 12:37 - Mar 1 with 367 viewsTGRRRSSS

There is one way the fans can vote with their feet, but they won't the picture posted here with loads of fans wearing the red shirts underlines this, in the end people get "used" to the changes and in time they are accepted and ultimately forgotten (admittedly after a long period of time) they ever happened.
Cardiff fans do have more power all fans have that power but only if they decide to properly wield it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024