Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Market Economy 00:16 - Sep 27 with 3024 viewsDaiHo0p

Still Failing.

Market Economy on 01:22 - Sep 27 with 2589 viewsSonofNorfolt

Privatisation has only worked for those who had large investments in it. The proletariat always pay.

Anyway Mr Boyce how are you? Not succumbed to the Red Dragons yet then?
Market Economy on 08:05 - Sep 27 with 2497 viewskropotkin41

The market economy does with great success exactly what could be predicted: it extracts and concentrates wealth. Unfortunately for those people who believe that "there is no alternative", it destroys eco-systems (soon enough the Earth as we have known it) and human communities (soon enough all society as we have known it) wherever it goes, and its depredations are evident to all who would take an honest look.

‘morbid curiosity about where this is all going’

Market Economy on 08:37 - Sep 27 with 2445 viewsElHoop

If you've got some alternative ideas then go out and do it - there's nothing to stop people building their own little societies which work differently and which might eventually become predominant.

All I ever hear from opponents of the current system is that it is failing. Why not get up off your arse and build something else then?
Market Economy on 08:40 - Sep 27 with 2436 viewsWokingR

Market Economy on 08:37 - Sep 27 by ElHoop

If you've got some alternative ideas then go out and do it - there's nothing to stop people building their own little societies which work differently and which might eventually become predominant.

All I ever hear from opponents of the current system is that it is failing. Why not get up off your arse and build something else then?

Market Economy on 08:41 - Sep 27 with 2435 viewsMrSheen

Market Economy on 08:05 - Sep 27 by kropotkin41

The market economy does with great success exactly what could be predicted: it extracts and concentrates wealth. Unfortunately for those people who believe that "there is no alternative", it destroys eco-systems (soon enough the Earth as we have known it) and human communities (soon enough all society as we have known it) wherever it goes, and its depredations are evident to all who would take an honest look.

It's not just the market economy that has done this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aral_Sea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Leap_Forward

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/poverty-matters/2013/sep/26/venezu

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-09-04/dead-dog-in-reservoir-helps-drive-venez
[Post edited 27 Sep 2013 8:57]
Market Economy on 08:58 - Sep 27 with 2401 viewsFDC

There is no "outside" of capitalism.

Anti-squatting laws, partitioning of the land, globalisation, corporate influence on public life, etc etc.

Humour me, if you wanted to go and start a new way of living, where would you go to remove yourself from capitalism?

Drop-out activism is self-indulgent nonsense.
Market Economy on 08:59 - Sep 27 with 2399 viewsWestminsteRs

Market Economy on 09:32 - Sep 27 with 2361 viewsElHoop

Market Economy on 08:58 - Sep 27 by FDC

Anti-squatting laws, partitioning of the land, globalisation, corporate influence on public life, etc etc.

Humour me, if you wanted to go and start a new way of living, where would you go to remove yourself from capitalism?

Oh give over, if you really wanted a different lifestyle and values you could go out and do it. And anyway, surely it's all Thatcher's fault isn't it?
Login to get fewer ads

Market Economy on 10:25 - Sep 27 with 2298 viewsHollowayRanger

my isa went from £8000 2012 to £11,000 2013

so somethings working out there?

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Market Economy on 10:31 - Sep 27 with 2283 viewsdoogi55

it only stops working when people get greedy and take bad risks and break the rules.
Market Economy on 11:29 - Sep 27 with 2240 viewsJuzzie

"Passport To Pimlico"
Market Economy on 11:48 - Sep 27 with 2219 viewsCliff

Market Economy on 12:24 - Sep 27 with 2194 viewsDaiHo0p

The Maths don't work in capitalism though. An invisbile sum of money is systematically taken from the labourer after the costs of the employer have been outlayed. This is repeatadily taken from the labourer as profit for the employer to get wealthly. The science is wrong.

Ok, Mel? Be in the Conningham tomorrow from 12noon.
Market Economy on 12:28 - Sep 27 with 2182 viewsFDC

Market Economy on 09:32 - Sep 27 by ElHoop

Oh give over, if you really wanted a different lifestyle and values you could go out and do it. And anyway, surely it's all Thatcher's fault isn't it?

Lifestyle and values, yes. That's hardly the same as living outside of capitalism though is it.

Oh, a Thatcher joke, my reasoning is in tatters.
Market Economy on 13:00 - Sep 27 with 2148 viewsTacticalR

Given the problems of the system, for me the real question is why there is not a significant minority opposed to the system.

This is what one writer had to say on the subject, during a previous depression (the 1930s):

'The difference between the radical organizations and the broad masses appears as a difference of objectives. The former apparently seek to overthrow capitalism; the masses seek only to maintain their living standards within capitalism. The revolutionary groups agitate for the abolition of private property; the people, called the masses, either own bits of private property, or hope some day to own them. The communist-minded struggle for the eradication of the profit system; the masses, capitalist-minded, speak of the bosses' right to a "fair profit." As long as a relatively large majority of the American working class maintain the living conditions to which they are accustomed, and have the leisure to follow their pursuits, such as baseball and movies, they are generally well content, and they are grateful to the system that makes these things possible. The radical, who opposes this system and thereby jeopardizes their position within it, is far more dangerous to them than the bosses who pay them, and they do not hesitate to make a martyr of him. As long as the system satisfies their basic needs in the accustomed manner, they are well satisfied with it and whatever evils they behold in society, they attribute to "unfair bosses," "bad administrators" or other individuals.'
http://www.lettersjournal.org/moss.html

The key point is the last one. It is not that people do not perceive the evils of the system, but rather that there is little attempt to connect them in a systematic way to capitalism itself.

Air hostess clique

Market Economy on 13:26 - Sep 27 with 2119 viewsAntti_Heinola

don't we elect politicians to change things for the better?

Bare bones.

Market Economy on 13:27 - Sep 27 with 2117 viewsClive_Anderson

Market Economy on 08:58 - Sep 27 by FDC

Sounds like you're confusing state sanctioned corporatism with capitalism.

But yes the state stops people setting up alternatives.
Market Economy on 13:31 - Sep 27 with 2107 viewsFDC

Market Economy on 13:27 - Sep 27 by Clive_Anderson

Sounds like you're confusing state sanctioned corporatism with capitalism.

But yes the state stops people setting up alternatives.

How am I confusing state-sanctioned corporatism with capitalism?
Market Economy on 13:36 - Sep 27 with 2091 viewsClive_Anderson

You can have a capitalist system that doesn't have anti-squatting laws or favour global corporations over the average person.
Market Economy on 13:38 - Sep 27 with 2088 viewsTacticalR

Market Economy on 13:26 - Sep 27 by Antti_Heinola

don't we elect politicians to change things for the better?

The interesting thing is that politicians have stopped promising to make things better.

Adam Curtis argued in his 2004 series The Power of Nightmares that the most successful politicians are the ones who can create the most fear:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Power_of_Nightmares

Air hostess clique

Market Economy on 13:43 - Sep 27 with 2080 viewsTacticalR

Market Economy on 13:31 - Sep 27 by FDC

How am I confusing state-sanctioned corporatism with capitalism?

Clive Anderson's logic is always the same:

Capitalism is a good system. Sometimes bad things happen. Therefore they are nothing to do with capitalism.

Maggie Thatcher is a good person. Sometimes bad things happen. Therefore....

Air hostess clique

Market Economy on 13:50 - Sep 27 with 2060 viewsClive_Anderson

Market Economy on 13:43 - Sep 27 by TacticalR

Clive Anderson's logic is always the same:

Capitalism is a good system. Sometimes bad things happen. Therefore they are nothing to do with capitalism.

Maggie Thatcher is a good person. Sometimes bad things happen. Therefore....

And you resort to insults when you hear something you can't explain away.
Market Economy on 13:53 - Sep 27 with 2057 viewsFDC

Market Economy on 13:36 - Sep 27 by Clive_Anderson

You can have a capitalist system that doesn't have anti-squatting laws or favour global corporations over the average person.

Anti-squatting laws are entirely in keeping with the enclosures of the 16th century and onwards. A capitalist system would after all struggle to survive if people were free to use the land as they see fit. Capitalism requires that people are forced to participate. Which is my whole point.

I don't think I said anything about corporations being favoured over the individual, although its not much of a stretch to see how this is characteristic of (but not fundamental to) capitalism.
Market Economy on 14:00 - Sep 27 with 2044 viewsClive_Anderson

Market Economy on 13:53 - Sep 27 by FDC

Anti-squatting laws are entirely in keeping with the enclosures of the 16th century and onwards. A capitalist system would after all struggle to survive if people were free to use the land as they see fit. Capitalism requires that people are forced to participate. Which is my whole point.

I don't think I said anything about corporations being favoured over the individual, although its not much of a stretch to see how this is characteristic of (but not fundamental to) capitalism.

I agree we your views on how the current capitalist system is implemented causes these problems and I think that it is broken. I was just making the point that it isn't the only way it can work.

The government decides what capital can be used for profit and in what way. For example people used to be capital in the form of slaves and aren't any longer.

They could implement a land tax that removes profiting from land ownership, but keep the other aspects of capitalism (such as intellectual property) intact.
Market Economy on 14:19 - Sep 27 with 2015 viewstooting_hoop

Market Economy on 10:25 - Sep 27 by HollowayRanger

my isa went from £8000 2012 to £11,000 2013

so somethings working out there?

Not if you added £4k to achieve that result.

Follow me on Twitter @tootinghoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024