Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which Airline 17:05 - May 28 with 1391 viewskingsburyR

Flying to Cape Town later this year.

i'm going to do a stop over to keep cost down.

I have the choice of Emirates or Qatar Airways?

Which is better?

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Which Airline on 17:17 - May 28 with 1374 viewsKonk

Go direct! I booked direct flight with South African, who then decided they were no longer going direct from London to Cape Town, so we ended-up having to change in Jo’burg on both journeys. Oliver Tambo is the most disorganised, chaotic, stressful transport hub I have ever had the misfortune to pass through. We had a fair amount of stop over time, but it took almost two hours to clear immigration and when we did, our bags had disappeared. You’re meant to pick them up the other side of immigration, but they weren’t there, so after an hour+ of eye-rolling, super-slow, can’t be ar sed responses from staff, we were informed that they “might have been stolen, they might be lost or they might have been put on your connecting flight”. Very stressful, but thankfully they turned-up in Cape Town.

A fault at Jo’burg on the way home meant that we missed our connecting flight and they were absolutely hopeless when it came to sorting out alternative arrangements.

We had an absolutely amazing holiday and everyone was lovely, but fu ck me I hated Oliver Tambo airport!

That said, South African were fine.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Which Airline on 17:20 - May 28 with 1370 viewskingsburyR

Plan to stop in either Dubai or Doha (Sp?). then straight into CT.

Direct is to bloody expensive these days!

Which Airline on 17:25 - May 28 with 1354 viewsKonk

Which Airline on 17:20 - May 28 by kingsburyR

Plan to stop in either Dubai or Doha (Sp?). then straight into CT.

Direct is to bloody expensive these days!

Sorry, that hasn't helped much, then! I've no idea about Dubai or Doha, but whatever you do, don't go via Oliver Tambo!

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Which Airline on 17:30 - May 28 with 1336 viewsN12Hoop

Flew with Qatar last month and thought they were outstanding. TV entertainment screens on the 2nd leg were the best ever and they had windows that you tint yourself, rather than a blind which, if you have a window seat, keeps you entertained. Food wasn't great, and it turns a 10.5 hour journey into about an 18 hour slog, but well worth it and you save loads of money.
They fly Airbus to Doha and then the new Boeing Dreamliner to SA. Lots of leg room as well (relative to other airlines).

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Which Airline on 17:32 - May 28 with 1334 viewsJamie

To be quite honest, both airlines are very good indeed.

Can't comment on Doha, but transit at Dubai is always very straightforward indeed. Just make sure you leave a few hours layover to be safe.

Qatar have been #2 airline in the world the past few years & Doha is a big transit hub though so I would be perfectly comfortable laying over there as well.

Do Ethiopian operate the route? Earning a fantastic reputation at the moment.
Which Airline on 17:43 - May 28 with 1319 viewskingsburyR

Which Airline on 17:32 - May 28 by Jamie

To be quite honest, both airlines are very good indeed.

Can't comment on Doha, but transit at Dubai is always very straightforward indeed. Just make sure you leave a few hours layover to be safe.

Qatar have been #2 airline in the world the past few years & Doha is a big transit hub though so I would be perfectly comfortable laying over there as well.

Do Ethiopian operate the route? Earning a fantastic reputation at the moment.

Yes Ethiopian are an option to.

Hadn't looked at them to be honest.

The cheapest option is Turkisn via Istanbul.....not appealing that one!

Which Airline on 19:21 - May 28 with 1277 viewsenfieldargh

Seeing Ethiopian aircraft at all major far eastern hubs, dream-liners to boot

And I thought we were having to lob fivers in their direction on the advice of Sir Bob!!!!

Goes to show Ethiopian really are the people of the words airline

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Which Airline on 21:02 - May 28 with 1237 viewsDeano19766

Last time I was in Doha (6 hour stop over on the way to/from Bangladesh in 2010) the airport was a shitehole. However, I seem to remember they were building a new terminal so could be OK now. Dubai airport is very good. Both Qatar and Emirates are good airlines
[Post edited 28 May 2015 21:03]
Login to get fewer ads

Which Airline on 21:03 - May 28 with 1236 viewsdanehoop

Which Airline on 17:43 - May 28 by kingsburyR

Yes Ethiopian are an option to.

Hadn't looked at them to be honest.

The cheapest option is Turkisn via Istanbul.....not appealing that one!

Turkish aren't too bad. they have invested heavily in their fleet over the past 5 years and really expanded their locations. Istanbul isn't a great airport to transit through if you are moving between international/domestic terminals. Not so bad if you are just transiting international. Down side is that the Turkish Airlines ground staff are possibly some of the worst I have experienced in years (and that is something given 5 years of living in China).

Given the choice I'd probably go via Emirates and take a day in Dubai to chill out before moving on. I may have to do the trip to S.Africa later this year, so would welcome feedback on whichever you use.
[Post edited 28 May 2015 21:04]

Never knowingly understood

Which Airline on 22:26 - May 28 with 1168 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

SAA currently have a sale on. I fly to SA about once a year and I've done stop overs but never again, fly to Joberg and get a connection but leave AT LEAST 2hrs between flights. As The Konk says, the staff are shit but then again that's the way for lots of roles in SA, don't look to the cops for help and whatever you do DO NOT get into one if those Toyota Hi Ace taxis!!

Unless you seriously need the saving of flying the wrong way across the planet then steer clear and go direct.

In any case, you'll have a great time in CT, lovely place, wild life and people! Fûcking windy though!
Which Airline on 06:36 - May 29 with 1097 viewstimcocking

Same same.
Which Airline on 06:48 - May 29 with 1094 viewsenfieldargh

Which Airline on 06:36 - May 29 by timcocking

Same same.

But different

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Which Airline on 07:12 - May 29 with 1080 viewsdubaistu

I'd look at the plane rather than the carrier. Emirates' new A380 is class though.
Which Airline on 08:17 - May 29 with 1060 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Iberia, go to Madrid and go direct.

Quite cheap.

The same to Venezuela and back.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Which Airline on 08:48 - May 29 with 1044 viewsIsleworthranger

Which Airline on 08:17 - May 29 by Metallica_Hoop

Iberia, go to Madrid and go direct.

Quite cheap.

The same to Venezuela and back.

Funnily enough I have always found Tambo airport fine but if I can offer one bit of advice and that is never ever be tempted to fly Kenya airlines via Nairobi

The flights are pretty decent but Nairobi airport is possibly the wosre place I have ever had to spend time in and basically consists of a circle of small so called duty free shops and one cafe full of UN African troops sprawled acrossed the floor with kit and rifles blocking any space

There is a bar there which is sweltering and so the staff sit with their arses in the fridges on the bottles and cans to keep cool and oh yes no non Kenyan currency is accepted or credit cards

If I had a choice then bot Dubai and Doha would be preferred with Dubai just swinging it if I had to make a decision but all worth it in the end obce you get to the amazing place that is Cape Town
Which Airline on 08:53 - May 29 with 1038 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I prefer Cape Town International I've used it twice and did't mind hanging around outside having a cigarette or giving a local one.

Jan Smuts (fkin hate the oj name) was ok but I didn't like the vibe. I didn't hang around outside there

Which Airline on 09:07 - May 29 with 1030 viewsTonto

We did Cape town last year - went with KLM via Schiphol (sp?).

Do NOT under any circumstances go via Jo-berg. The airport is a nightmare full of people trying to rip you off, begging or just plain nicking stuff... we spoke to several people who had taken that root and not one had a positive story.

Enjoy Cape Town - its a wonderful place - but don't think of walking anywhere after dark (except the waterfront area which has loads of security) - take taxi EVERY time.

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Which Airline on 09:19 - May 29 with 1020 viewsqpr1976

Going later in the year myself.

Only BA go direct and they charge a fortune for the privilige, between £1500 & £2k each way !

I ended up with Virgin, flying KLM via Amsterdam out and Air France via Paris back !
Weird but including 2 weeks stay at V&A Waterfront, very reasonably priced.

You going for the cricket, Kingsbury ?
Which Airline on 09:25 - May 29 with 1013 viewsflynnbo

Which Airline on 08:53 - May 29 by Metallica_Hoop

I prefer Cape Town International I've used it twice and did't mind hanging around outside having a cigarette or giving a local one.

Jan Smuts (fkin hate the oj name) was ok but I didn't like the vibe. I didn't hang around outside there

"Having a cigarette or giving a local one". Such are choices in life!
Which Airline on 09:54 - May 29 with 990 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Which Airline on 09:25 - May 29 by flynnbo

"Having a cigarette or giving a local one". Such are choices in life!

I should really read properly before posting.

Which Airline on 10:34 - May 29 with 972 viewskingsburyR

Which Airline on 09:19 - May 29 by qpr1976

Going later in the year myself.

Only BA go direct and they charge a fortune for the privilige, between £1500 & £2k each way !

I ended up with Virgin, flying KLM via Amsterdam out and Air France via Paris back !
Weird but including 2 weeks stay at V&A Waterfront, very reasonably priced.

You going for the cricket, Kingsbury ?

Unfortunately not!!!

I lived in Cape Town for 4 years from 2001 - 2005.

Heading back for a birthday. Have always flown direct but the prices being quoted are extortionate

Ill toss up between one of the airlines on my OP as its half the bleedin price!!.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024