Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
OTT Searches 14:28 - Aug 22 with 1692 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

via a Grimsby Town fan and the Mariner's Trust. Hope some of the more media savvy amongst you can help a comrade out:

Dear Football Fan

As you may have heard in the national press, last Saturday Grimsby Town supporters were subjected to OTT searches on entry to the match between the Mariners and Stevenage FC. Women were asked to show their bras on entry and five year olds were subjected to frisks and full body searching.

(Full story here - http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/efl-investigating-st

We're asking the football family to unite and we'd like to put together a video of a fan from each of the 92 clubs saying the same thing - watching football is not a crime.

What we need is this - a supporter from your club, in your club's colours, filming themselves saying the words 'watching football is not a crime'.

That's it. Ideally we need this doing ASAP as we hope to release the video, in conjunction with the FSF, on Saturday.

If you can help we would really appreciate it as we hope to send a strong message to the authorities that the football family is united.

Videos can be sent on email to enquiries@marinerstrust.co.uk or via direct message on Twitter @marinerstrust or Facebook /marinerstrust

Kind regards
The Mariners Trust

OTT Searches on 14:40 - Aug 22 with 1658 viewsBoston

I'm sorry, but there's something criminal about supporting Grimsby.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

OTT Searches on 14:43 - Aug 22 with 1647 viewskensalriser

Grimsby fans aren't criminals, they're victims.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

OTT Searches on 15:23 - Aug 22 with 1609 viewshoof_hearted

I really want to agree that football fans should be treated like adults and allowed to keep the top on the bottle of water or even sip a cold beer while watching the match.

The only way it could work is if nobody goes apesh!t and loses their rag when a goal is conceded or a bad decision is made. If the first non accidental beer spillage or chuck results in a national ground ban for life then maybe it could work.

Pervy stewards has nothing to do with this point.
OTT Searches on 15:38 - Aug 22 with 1580 viewsBostonR

Stewarding at every level has almost become beyond the law. Sporting events, concerts, exibitions are just some of the examples where certain individuals think they can treat the average man like a piece of shite!
It is now rare to go to an event where stewards are present and not see a confrontation of some sort. Some of it borders on thuggery, intimidation and often ends up with violence.
The Police cannot be bothered until it kicks-off and then some poor innocent individual is pointed out and arrested on the say-so of some chav.
It has reached all-scale full-on battles in the US at some American football games. If you think Millwall are nuts, go to a Philadelphia Eagles game - absolutely mustard! Their fans are mental, truly mental! The stewards just stay out of sight for their own well-being.
OTT Searches on 15:44 - Aug 22 with 1571 viewsFredManRave

If we draw Stevenage in the FACup will Sylla have to show the stewards his bra before he enters the field of play?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

OTT Searches on 16:18 - Aug 22 with 1520 viewskarl

Playing Devils Advocate and we do have to have some balance nowadays.
We expect stewards to be highly trained and efficient able to keep us safe from the old problems of bad behaviour from fans but now the terrorist situation in large gatherings of people. All very well but they never seem to be either well enough paid or trained to carry out the duties we're starting to expect from them.

The Grimsby situation does seem bizarre to say the least but we can't let a bad situation like that override what is becoming a more and more important job. At the last Scotland/England game every supporter as far as i was aware was frisked by a police officer and not one complaint made by anyone to my knowledge as it seemed to be carried out very professionally although the searches were thorough and, i would say, fairly personal.
What were the main differences? I would say probably the well trained/paid individual carrying out the search and the respect the person being searched would have for that person but ultimately if we used the valuble resource of trained police officers to carry out this relatively mundane task how long before there are complaints about that?
Its not easy and unfortunately the Grimsby situation does muddy the waters
OTT Searches on 17:48 - Aug 22 with 1412 viewswelwynranger

I have read the letter in full. Not only were women ask to show their bras. A female steward was stationed in the male toilets . Children were scared by this and the parents complaints were rudely ignored. A women had hand sanitiser confiscated from her even though it is allowed on aeroplanes. Fans in the front 2 rows who had paid £21 pound for their seat had a line of stewards standing in front of them obscuring their view, when they complained they wer told to move. Rude gestures were made to the fans by the stewards when Grimsby scored. Allegedly their was no water or hand towels in the toilets. When someone complained to the steward about the way they were being treated a female steward was heard to make a remark and fist pump to another steward. The Grimsby supporters club and The Mariners Trust have made an official complaint to Stevenage and copied in several other bodies. The actions of these stewards could have led to serious crowd trouble IMO. They make ours look like highly trained professionals.LOL
OTT Searches on 18:11 - Aug 22 with 1391 viewsterryb

I expect that I'm in the minority, but it seems to me that females have a raw deal when it comes to entering football grounds.

I normally enter Loftus Road at the same time as a retired female. Her bag is always searched (as every bag is, whether held by a male or female), but I enter the ground every match untouched. In the middle of winter ny coat could be hiding any number of objects whcih would not have been discovered.

As far as the Stevenage - Grimsby match goes, I'm far from surprised that the stewarding was over zealous. This seems par for the course at most away matches I've been to supporting Rangers. I now know that sending a letter of complaint to the home club is a waste of time as you will only receive a reply that won't address any of your points & will just quote club policy.

I hasten to add that the complaints I sent were from my witnessing stewards assaulting other supporters rather than their treatment to myself!
Login to get fewer ads

OTT Searches on 21:55 - Aug 22 with 1296 viewswelwynranger

Obviously a typo here
The title should be UTT Searches
OTT Searches on 00:20 - Aug 23 with 1230 viewsBoston

On a personal note, I have found that, over the last 20 years or so, the stewarding has been quite even handed at away games. Now I only attend 3/4 /5 per year, but they're fairly wide ranging geographically and I find it hard to believe I'm wearing rose tinted specs.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

OTT Searches on 08:52 - Aug 23 with 1155 viewssmegma

This can only happen at a football match. As the FSF slogan goes 'being a football fan isn't a crime'. Yet time and again, you read of stories like this. Part of this story I read , females were asked to see their bras to check if they were under wired........I'd love the clubs head of safety explain that one .
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024