Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report 14:33 - Mar 31 with 4220 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/50022
McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 19:26 - Mar 31 with 3578 viewsterryb

I thought that was a very good summary of yesterday. IMO that was a worse performance than against Stoke, which was a worse performance than against rotherham.

Apart from re-visiting the Hall/Lynch combination, I couldn't understand the mnanager playing Luongo as the screen for his defenders. That stopped him winning tackles further forward, which we badly needed.

We also lost the normal creativity from Freeman in the role he was given & I thought the players looked lost in the formation that was ordained for this match.

Then also, Eze spent the whole match sitting om the bench. It was obvious to some of us before the match that we needed him on the pitch. It must have been obvious to the rest of the crowd wirthin the first five minutes that we desperately required him on the pitch!

Prior to the game yesterday, I was still considering going to Norwich next week. I think you can all guess what my decision was after that game!
McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 19:55 - Mar 31 with 3478 viewsdanehoop

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 19:26 - Mar 31 by terryb

I thought that was a very good summary of yesterday. IMO that was a worse performance than against Stoke, which was a worse performance than against rotherham.

Apart from re-visiting the Hall/Lynch combination, I couldn't understand the mnanager playing Luongo as the screen for his defenders. That stopped him winning tackles further forward, which we badly needed.

We also lost the normal creativity from Freeman in the role he was given & I thought the players looked lost in the formation that was ordained for this match.

Then also, Eze spent the whole match sitting om the bench. It was obvious to some of us before the match that we needed him on the pitch. It must have been obvious to the rest of the crowd wirthin the first five minutes that we desperately required him on the pitch!

Prior to the game yesterday, I was still considering going to Norwich next week. I think you can all guess what my decision was after that game!

Are you going to Norwich then?

Never knowingly understood

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 20:34 - Mar 31 with 3378 viewsterryb

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 19:55 - Mar 31 by danehoop

Are you going to Norwich then?

The next time the Theatre Royal has a production on I want to see!
McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 21:35 - Mar 31 with 3211 viewsonlyrinmoray

I was listening on the Player as usual, a lonely depressing and predictable game Something that stuck with me was the amount of times Pav Wsozlek put in poor crosses with Andy Sinton confirming this and saying Pav needed to be more of an attacking player. Maybe if the crosses aren't coming in for Hemed that's why he cant do anything (at Brighton he had Knockert and Solley March ) not that Im making excuses for him

I remember when Pav arrived everyone was saying how well he crossed the ball , looking up and picking out players Yet another player who has gone downhill playing for us
McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 22:26 - Mar 31 with 3074 viewsHunterhoop

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 19:26 - Mar 31 by terryb

Agreed.

McClaren f*cked up royally.

Sat was a new system, presumably something they’ve been working on during the break. A clear 4141, with Luongo as the shield, as you say terry.

It meant Hemed was isolated (and useless), and at times it turned into a 451, at home, to this Bolton side...

The substitutions needed to be Wells for Henry and Eze for Scowen. Push up, play Luongo and Freeman next to each other, Eze at 10, with Pav and BOS bombing down the wings. An attacking 4231. The only joy we had came wide from BOS and Pav. The latter’s crossing was poor but he was getting to the byline and winning corners and getting us up the field. BOS looked very good.

But both wee regularly looking up and crossing to a lazy, disinterested Hemed.

All that said, with Lynch and Hall at centre half, we were always liable to struggle.

I found it very strange that in this important, very winnable fixture, McClaren chose to play an entire back 4 whose contracts are up in a couple of months, and leave club captain and Darnell Furlong (who will be here next year and will be needed!) on the bench. Bizarre message to send to the players. I assumed it was some sort of “show me you deserve a contract” move, but if that’s the case, they threw it back in his face. At times Lynch looked like he genuinely didn’t give a shit (stupid fouls when we’d already got the ball back, not fetching it for Lumley when the clock was running down..).

Hall, getting bullied physically and beaten for pace again, coupled with another injury, has proved a club with our budget cannot and should not be offering him another deal.

Bidwell, who was so wasteful with the ball, is regressing and making a good case for the prosecution that we could find someone no worse for a lot less.

Angel, beaten at the back post for their first goal, won’t be getting any younger.

And then Joel Lynch again. Finding new ways to be sh*t and not appear to give a sh*t. I hope we don’t see him in a Rangers shirt again. Leistner and Darnell can play out the season at centre back.
McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 08:33 - Apr 1 with 2625 viewsPastCaringNW2

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 22:26 - Mar 31 by Hunterhoop

Agreed.

Sat was a new system, presumably something they’ve been working on during the break. A clear 4141, with Luongo as the shield, as you say terry.

It meant Hemed was isolated (and useless), and at times it turned into a 451, at home, to this Bolton side...

The substitutions needed to be Wells for Henry and Eze for Scowen. Push up, play Luongo and Freeman next to each other, Eze at 10, with Pav and BOS bombing down the wings. An attacking 4231. The only joy we had came wide from BOS and Pav. The latter’s crossing was poor but he was getting to the byline and winning corners and getting us up the field. BOS looked very good.

All that said, with Lynch and Hall at centre half, we were always liable to struggle.

I found it very strange that in this important, very winnable fixture, McClaren chose to play an entire back 4 whose contracts are up in a couple of months, and leave club captain and Darnell Furlong (who will be here next year and will be needed!) on the bench. Bizarre message to send to the players. I assumed it was some sort of “show me you deserve a contract” move, but if that’s the case, they threw it back in his face. At times Lynch looked like he genuinely didn’t give a shit (stupid fouls when we’d already got the ball back, not fetching it for Lumley when the clock was running down..).

Hall, getting bullied physically and beaten for pace again, coupled with another injury, has proved a club with our budget cannot and should not be offering him another deal.

Bidwell, who was so wasteful with the ball, is regressing and making a good case for the prosecution that we could find someone no worse for a lot less.

Angel, beaten at the back post for their first goal, won’t be getting any younger.

And then Joel Lynch again. Finding new ways to be sh*t and not appear to give a sh*t. I hope we don’t see him in a Rangers shirt again. Leistner and Darnell can play out the season at centre back.

Your point about the back four is spot on.

According to this table we have 6 defenders out of contract as of June 30th ...

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/queens-park-rangers/kadernaechstesaison/verein/1

Other than Kakay and Hamalainen who is in the system to step up to replace this lot?

Other than Cousins who could be converted to a back four role?

Could Scowen play full back? Smith do a Paul Warhurst in reverse and moonlight at centre half? It might come to it.

Lynch is surely destined to leave the club. Baptiste has presumably already packed his bags for League One. Bidwell is very 50/50 - the Tim Breacker of his era, a player who will look very solid in a good side but all-at-sea in a poor one. There is no argument I can make for resigning him. I just keep thinking of the yawning gaps that regularly open up down the left side of the pitch at key moments in home games.

Which leaves us with three to consider - I figure Hall and Furlong will be resigned (assuming we have first option) and Rangel will get an offer (that could easily be bettered elsewhere).

It's not pretty.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 8:55]
McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 08:58 - Apr 1 with 2576 viewsNorthernr

Reminds me a bit of the last time we got relegated from this level, 2000/01, where we were relying on a big bulk of players in the second half of the season who all knew they were going to be released in May. Even if it's subconscious, it does have an effect. They'll be worried about their futures, they won't be as committed to the club as perhaps they once were. They'll know that if they pick up a bad injury it's going to be very difficult to get a contract anywhere this summer so they're maybe not snappingn into tackles as they might. They maybe feel a bit of bitterness towards the club.

End of last season Holloway was picking Furlong and Bidwell centre back, which looked bloody mad, but it was because he knew Onouha and Robinson were leaving.
McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 09:29 - Apr 1 with 2497 viewsRs_Holy

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 08:58 - Apr 1 by Northernr

Reminds me a bit of the last time we got relegated from this level, 2000/01, where we were relying on a big bulk of players in the second half of the season who all knew they were going to be released in May. Even if it's subconscious, it does have an effect. They'll be worried about their futures, they won't be as committed to the club as perhaps they once were. They'll know that if they pick up a bad injury it's going to be very difficult to get a contract anywhere this summer so they're maybe not snappingn into tackles as they might. They maybe feel a bit of bitterness towards the club.

End of last season Holloway was picking Furlong and Bidwell centre back, which looked bloody mad, but it was because he knew Onouha and Robinson were leaving.

Also very similar to when Neil Warnock took over and we only just avoided relegation. We had the likes of Tamas Priskin and Marcus Bent on loan that season (I think it was a 2-0 at Palace that got us over the line). I remember Warnock saying "it'll be different next season when we'll have our own players in the team".... and it was!
Who remembers the last home game of last season? It was the 3-1 victory against Birmingham and it was a really entertaining game! I remember leaving Loftus Road that day full of optimisim because of the young players we had coming into the team... seems like decades ago now :(
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43846720
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 10:42]
Login to get fewer ads

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 09:35 - Apr 1 with 2487 viewsplasmahoop

Depending on wages I would be looking to re sign bidwell. It's too much to just lose everybody, and he is a competent left back.
McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 09:46 - Apr 1 with 2465 viewsBlue_Castello

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 22:26 - Mar 31 by Hunterhoop

Agreed.

Excellent post Hunter as I just said to my brother in a text McLaren may be a good coach but he makes some bloody stupid managerial decisions. When we got to the ground on Saturday I looked at the team and could not understand why Hemed and Lynch were selected in front of Wells and Lesitner they are both far better players. We had 8 games to play before Sasturday and the only easy one on paper was Bolton, jeez we really screwed that up big time, does McLaren think we are already safe and he doesn't need to pick our best team.

Truly baffled by a couple of peoples comments on Clive's match report saying Hemed wasn't that bad, bloody hell he was awful, he couldn't run or chase down the ball, wasn't able to jump for the ball, he didn't have the energy to get himself onside a number of times, you can't tell me he's forgotten the offside rule. Now I'm not having a pop at the bloke he was trying but his fitness and energy are not at thee required levels , I get the feeling successive injuries have taken their toll. Surely the coaching staff can see what's evident from the stands, he was trying but struggling when we had far better options on the bench. The game mathematically wasn't a must win but considering all the other fixtures coming up it felt that way and we are easily the worst performing team in the division. We are now relying on Rotherham to be totally crap for the next seven games to ensure our survival.

Guess it sounds a bit doomy and gloomy but that's how that game made me feel and Clive's excellent report summed it all up, I never thought I was going to read that he had left before the end but I don't blame him. We stuck it out in the end and once Wells had scored I was praying for a point, that said I've left before the final whistle before, not very often, but usually around the 90 the minute.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 9:50]
McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 09:49 - Apr 1 with 2449 viewsPastCaringNW2

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 08:58 - Apr 1 by Northernr

You are right about attitudes. Or at least your perception of them matches my own.

The big differences between now and 2001 are that

1) This time the club have not recruited a whole raft of lower league players that are not close to Div 1 (as then was) standard over the long haul. Scully, Wardley, Kulcsar, Darlington, Bara etc etc. Baptise is the only one who could fall into that category.

2) 18 years on the youth looks like it might have a bit more going for it than at the turn of the century. The Combination winning side of 1996 that John Hollins raved about (all that stuff about Mark Graham playing like a young Beckenbauer) didn't produce a single first team player of note but a lot of them got long term deals and we hung on and hung on for one or two of them to come good. Trevor Challis and Matt Lockwood were probably the two who had the best careers - total first team QPR appearances? 13. Between them.

3) We were still saddled with many of the poorer recruitment choices of the Rioch / Houston era. Not to mention re-signing Karl "the new Tony Adams" Ready on money that should have paid for a leader and a linchpin.

We are not faced with any of those issues today. The youth looks like it will get its chance and four or more of them could be first team regulars. We are not packed to the rafters with League One players promoted above the level that their talents can handle (which would be my big concern about Ainsworth coming in now). The dead wood is all but gone.

This is all good news. No, really.

Not that it isn't challenging and a repeat of the lunatic, bargain-basement signing binge that bridged the Harford / Francis era or a rose tinted optimism towards the players coming through could send the club into an ugly spiral. That is another reason why a change at the top (either managerial or in recruitment) would be a major risk.

Reasons to be cheerful even when what is being served up at the moment is utter garbage.
[Post edited 1 Apr 2019 10:13]
McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 09:53 - Apr 1 with 2424 viewsDejR_vu

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 09:35 - Apr 1 by plasmahoop

Depending on wages I would be looking to re sign bidwell. It's too much to just lose everybody, and he is a competent left back.

Bidwell, on his best day, is an average, steady, basic full back. He’s not at his best very often.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 10:33 - Apr 1 with 2305 viewssuperhoopdownunder

Is Steve trying to get sacked? Had enough travelling down from the North East?

Playing players coming out of contract is daft and as seen last season and this season does not work.

It is annoying that we are paying most of these players a lot of money relative to their ability and performance.
Who signed Lynch on 15k per week?
Another crap overpaid signing with the wrong character.
Surely we should have found all this out before signing the donkey.

I think the DoF should go too.
McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 10:53 - Apr 1 with 2250 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I thought Hemed was bad.

He looked tired and very slow.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 11:12 - Apr 1 with 2196 viewssimmo

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 10:53 - Apr 1 by Metallica_Hoop

I thought Hemed was bad.

He looked tired and very slow.

Hemed has, almost exclusively for his entire time here, looked heavy, unmotivated, static and uninterested. He's been an absolute waste of a lot of money we can't afford and his selection at any point over literally any other option is a joke.

Once we had a real chance of getting Wells we should have sacked off getting Hemed, signing both looked excessive at the time.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

McClaren hanging by a thread after Bolton debacle — Report on 11:57 - Apr 1 with 2067 viewsenfieldargh

Hemed has played his part in securing 4 points.

Without these points we would really be in the poop.

Read into this what you like, but its extremely scary

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024