Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dodgy pen 09:36 - Feb 10 with 2514 viewsPikey

The 2nd goal never a penalty for me but again a clearance by a QPR goalkeeper straight to opponent puts us under pressure.
Lumley has been slaughtered on here for doing it a few times this year now Kelly seems to have caught the bug. Perhaps dispense with the idea until safe and then review whether we have any keeper capable of playing this way. They both seem as bad as each other
Dodgy pen on 10:31 - Feb 10 with 2425 viewsTheChef

Yes, was a soft one and their player made the most of any contact there was. Not helped by the Kelly non-clearance in the first place.

But in punditry parlance, Brian, we gave the ref a decision to make.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Dodgy pen on 10:32 - Feb 10 with 2420 viewsNorthernr

I don't usually like that referee at all but he only gets one look at it at normal speed and at the time from the away end we all said penalty straight away. Looked a lazy challenge.
Dodgy pen on 10:53 - Feb 10 with 2375 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Dodgy pen on 10:32 - Feb 10 by Northernr

I don't usually like that referee at all but he only gets one look at it at normal speed and at the time from the away end we all said penalty straight away. Looked a lazy challenge.

We said it looked a nailed on pen straight away.
Dodgy pen on 12:40 - Feb 10 with 2246 viewsbosh67

I completely understand why the ref gave it. No complaints but from behind the goal he bought it by sticking his foot into Wallace and taking the fall. Polter was very good at that sort of thing.

I don't think Wallace knew too much about it.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Dodgy pen on 12:40 - Feb 10 with 2246 viewsJuzzie

Unfortunately this is how players get away with it time and time again.
VAR is too much of an interference during matches so the authorities should deal with it restrospectively.

Fines are pointless so start dishing out match bans. When players start becoming less and less available for games maybe then they'll stop, especially if their Manager is peeved off that a key player is unavailable.

That'll sort it out and no need for 2-3 minutes wasted time every game.

Sure, it may mean some dodgy penalties are still given in the short term but hopefully that should disappear once players realise they can't get away with it.
Dodgy pen on 12:46 - Feb 10 with 2214 viewsPinnerPaul

Polar apposite of Clive on this one, usually I am supportive of the ref but this one looked soft on first look (video - not live) and more so with repeated viewings (which as said above, the ref doesn't get of course)
Dodgy pen on 16:28 - Feb 10 with 1959 viewsgazza1

Tough one to call.......thats why VAR is needed.
Dodgy pen on 16:31 - Feb 10 with 1943 viewsOldPedro

Dodgy pen on 16:28 - Feb 10 by gazza1

But VAR wouldn't have over-ruled it - they would have sided with the on-field ref because there was some contact, even if it was the forward kicking the defender.

Extra mature cheddar......a simple cheese for a simple man

Login to get fewer ads

Dodgy pen on 16:33 - Feb 10 with 1936 viewsTacticalR

The penalty looked suspect, but in the whole passage of play from Kelly's clearance we looked wobbly and liable to give something away.

Air hostess clique

Dodgy pen on 16:39 - Feb 10 with 1916 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Annoyingly, it was game over as soon as that pen went in.
Dodgy pen on 16:40 - Feb 10 with 1912 viewsNorthernr

VAR wouldn't have overruled that. Would have spent three or four minutes having a look and then stuck with.
Dodgy pen on 16:44 - Feb 10 with 1898 viewsJuzzie

Read my comment :)

VAR would just make it worse!!
Dodgy pen on 16:48 - Feb 10 with 1882 viewsPinnerPaul

Whether we think it was a pen or not, VAR would have been no help at all - its just another opinion, NOT a 100% failsafe correction process - a fact which football is finally waking up to!
Dodgy pen on 17:31 - Feb 10 with 1835 viewsmylot50years

Impossible to tell from the away end on Saturday but now having seen it on TV had it been for us, no way would be have given a penalty for that soft challenge.
As is so often the case just another piss poor excuse of a ref.
Dodgy pen on 18:25 - Feb 10 with 1794 viewsHayesender

Hard to tell from the away end, but what I did notice was the ref couldn't wait to give it. He seemed to point to the spot before the foul was even made

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Dodgy pen on 18:29 - Feb 10 with 1787 viewsQPROslo

Dodgy pen on 17:31 - Feb 10 by mylot50years

Impossible to tell from the away end on Saturday but now having seen it on TV had it been for us, no way would be have given a penalty for that soft challenge.
As is so often the case just another piss poor excuse of a ref.

Watching by the Clubs live stream it was never a pen for me either. Sort of pen that we seem to get awarded against us, but are never given.
Dodgy pen on 20:54 - Feb 10 with 1669 viewsJigsore

i saw Les in the directors lounge afterwards and his reaction to the penalty was to slump into his seat

don't know if that was because it was warded or the challenge. i'll admit in real time i thought it was a penalty, we were fully creaking at that point.

“The thing about football - the important thing about football - is that it is not just about football.”

Dodgy pen on 20:55 - Feb 10 with 1665 viewsstainrods_elbow

From Kelly's woeful Lumley-esque 'clearance' to Wallace's lazy, feckless, 'give the ref a decision to make' trip, it was a (clear) penalty we looked like we wanted to concede all along, and we did.

It's times like this, if English football isn't bent, it certainly looks a bit kinky!

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

Dodgy pen on 09:07 - Feb 11 with 1528 viewsgazza1

Dodgy pen on 16:40 - Feb 10 by Northernr

VAR wouldn't have overruled that. Would have spent three or four minutes having a look and then stuck with.

Maybe they would have done, maybe they wouldnt have done......VAR gets most things right,not all but most, they just need to be slicker with the call. That will come in time.
Dodgy pen on 09:09 - Feb 11 with 1524 viewsgazza1

Dodgy pen on 16:44 - Feb 10 by Juzzie

Read my comment :)

VAR would just make it worse!!

I doubt it very much that VAR would make it worse....
Dodgy pen on 15:53 - Feb 11 with 1468 viewsPinnerPaul

Dodgy pen on 09:07 - Feb 11 by gazza1

Maybe they would have done, maybe they wouldnt have done......VAR gets most things right,not all but most, they just need to be slicker with the call. That will come in time.

You miss the point, well two points

There are no 'right' or 'wrong' decisions on subjective calls like pens

It will not get 'slicker' - its a replay system using multiple cameras angles (if they didn't use multiple angles, would be even less point to it!) so it is ALWAYS going to take time AND like in the Spurs v Man City game - football, being football and not cricket, tennis or rugby, sometimes -in fact quite often - the play continues while a review is in place.

Coming soon to a game near you - a player is sent off during this review, pen given, but player stays sent off - as per LOTG as they stand!
Dodgy pen on 08:26 - Feb 12 with 1409 viewsgazza1

Dodgy pen on 15:53 - Feb 11 by PinnerPaul

You miss the point, well two points

There are no 'right' or 'wrong' decisions on subjective calls like pens

It will not get 'slicker' - its a replay system using multiple cameras angles (if they didn't use multiple angles, would be even less point to it!) so it is ALWAYS going to take time AND like in the Spurs v Man City game - football, being football and not cricket, tennis or rugby, sometimes -in fact quite often - the play continues while a review is in place.

Coming soon to a game near you - a player is sent off during this review, pen given, but player stays sent off - as per LOTG as they stand!

Of course VAR will get slicker and better.....its new to football. New ideas and processes will be introduced in the coming months and years to make it better. The main point is that decisions will be more accurate generally.
Dodgy pen on 16:23 - Feb 12 with 1263 viewsPinnerPaul

Dodgy pen on 08:26 - Feb 12 by gazza1

Of course VAR will get slicker and better.....its new to football. New ideas and processes will be introduced in the coming months and years to make it better. The main point is that decisions will be more accurate generally.

I admire your optimism, but can't agree.

You can't measure 'accuracy' of penalty decisions for the reason I pointed out above.

Last night in our game, 4 penalty shouts - none given - who decides if ref was 'right' or 'wrong'?
Dodgy pen on 18:57 - Feb 12 with 1217 viewsJuzzie

VAR is not a system but a person.

“The video assistant referee (VAR) is a match official in association football who reviews decisions made by the head referee.“

It’s essentially an inanimate system, it doesn’t make decisions other than measuring the ball on/over the line and a player’s toenail being offside.

It allows people to see lots of replays at lots of angles in real time, slo-mo etc. That’s pretty much it.

The final decision is still made by humans and lots of them. Eight I think? So you have their interpretation of what they see on screen combined with the LoTG and it takes ages to make a decision.

If it takes eight people a number of minutes having viewed it over and over at different angles and speeds then it cannot be clear cut.

Everyone was saying West Ham goal (v Sheff Utd I think) should have stood but when the following week the same thing happens with Wells’ goal v Leeds, the goal stands and everyone (well, Leeds fans mainly) saying it should have been disallowed and would have if we had VAR despite people saying VAR got the West Ham decision wrong.

It’s an impossible situation and all it’s done is take the pressure off the ref but we still get wrong decisions.

We hoped VAR would kill off inane punditry but what’s now happening is pundits talking about VAR instead of the ref/lino and fans not knowing whether to celebrate or not if the goal looks remotely iffy.

Modern football.
[Post edited 12 Feb 2020 19:43]
Dodgy pen on 19:17 - Feb 12 with 1187 viewsMatch82

Dodgy pen on 08:26 - Feb 12 by gazza1

The way to get it slicker is to do what it was meant to do, overturn clear and obvious errors. If you can't tell what's correct from 3 looks from different camera angles, it probably isn't clear and obvious either way.

Controversial idea but I'd give them 60 seconds. If you can't overturn it in that time, decision stands.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024