Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who in this team is championship quality. 18:25 - Dec 27 with 2743 viewsqpr_1968

i know moral is low, and confidence is probably shattered by now.
taking that in to consideration bos, chair, dieng, dickie, are basically all we've got.

looking at warbs playing and managerial career, other than his stint at brentford, its not much to shout about.

Poll: how many games this season....home/away.

Who in this team is championship quality. on 18:39 - Dec 27 with 2300 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Every single one of them if you ask me, but it’s not as if we have a choice anyway.

Dickie the only one who hasn’t played it before and he’s not the reason we are in the pickle we are in. Our defence has vastly improved recently IMO.

Off the top of my head:

Dykes will be playing in the Euros next year and Dieng has been called up for Senegal. Bright and Carroll have had England Youth caps I believe. Wallace has captained Rangers played in Europe and won a million trophies. Haamelainen getting regular caps for Finland. Cameron has 50 odd caps and has played in a World Cup. Barber was a mainstay for a Brentford side that finished above us many seasons now.

There is nothing wrong with our pedigree.

Always a bit simplistic saying ‘players are shit’ or ‘manager is shit’.

The culture of the club is in turmoil. That sounds a bit vague because it is but we’re embarking on a change in facilities, recruitment, and youth production that all successful clubs out size have had to grapple with.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 18:44 - Dec 27 with 2275 viewsTGRRRSSS

Just because Dykes might play at the Euro's doesn't mean he's Championship level player it means he's playing for a country who cannot pick in his position players who they would if they could.

There might be many reasons it's not happening for Dykes but thus far he's not the clinical Championship striker as yet.

Likewise playing for youth internationals means little, as so many down the years do that but never make it beyond.

There's much which we've been addressing but even then we still seem to not get (Eze aside) the rewards others have for adopting on the face of it similar ideas and methods.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 19:00 - Dec 27 with 2225 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Who in this team is championship quality. on 18:44 - Dec 27 by TGRRRSSS

Just because Dykes might play at the Euro's doesn't mean he's Championship level player it means he's playing for a country who cannot pick in his position players who they would if they could.

There might be many reasons it's not happening for Dykes but thus far he's not the clinical Championship striker as yet.

Likewise playing for youth internationals means little, as so many down the years do that but never make it beyond.

There's much which we've been addressing but even then we still seem to not get (Eze aside) the rewards others have for adopting on the face of it similar ideas and methods.

Didn’t say he was clinical. If we had a striker who was clinical and could hold up the ball they wouldn’t be playing for us. Hence why Hughill doesn’t pull our shirt on anymore.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 19:12 - Dec 27 with 2169 viewsQPR_John

Who in this team is championship quality. on 18:44 - Dec 27 by TGRRRSSS

"Just because Dykes might play at the Euro's doesn't mean he's Championship level player it means he's playing for a country who cannot pick in his position players who they would if they could. "

You ignore the point that he will be playing against international defenders and in the Euros you would expect most of them will be above Championship level. if he could not cope then Scotland would not pick him however few their choices are.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 19:40 - Dec 27 with 2073 viewsLowerloftLad

luke amos is championship quality shame he is injured

i also like what i have seen of masterson and at times kakay.

i haven't seen enough of wilock.

same goes for uncle albert has his legs gone? surley he is worth a punt as a second striker option

dykes looks like a strong lad surely he could become a great hold up sticker with chair playing in the middle just behind him his assist record every where else has been very good
[Post edited 27 Dec 2020 19:44]

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Who in this team is championship quality. on 23:17 - Dec 27 with 1925 viewsDannyPaddox

There’s a dread and a predictability about watching QPR at the moment but we’re not far off matching the top 6 championship teams for quality. Bournemouth may well win this division and we outplayed them. Reading, Stoke, Swansea - we looked better than all of them for large parts of the game. I wouldn’t be surprised if Norwich is a close contest but what does it matter if we can’t score.

I don’t think any other manager could improve our squad at the moment and I’m hoping Warburton is chastened and learning from the recent results. So if the club can find a couple of players in the January transfer window with goals in them, young, old, or borrowed, then I say stick with Warburton.

But ... the January transfer window is the worst time to buy players and despite me highlighting our attacking failings the two players I’d fcuk off this instance and play any inexperienced youth player instead are Barbet & Cameron. Those two can fcuk right off. I had some kind of naive eternal optimism at the beginning of the season but when I heard Carpetbagger Cameron was named Captain I felt unsure about the whole thing which in turn makes me question Warburton’s decision making.

Ah fcuk I don’t know.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 23:21 - Dec 27 with 1916 viewsdaveB

I think the majority of this side are championship quality possibly bar Niko and Dykes who both have potential but look a bit short at the moment.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 23:28 - Dec 27 with 1896 viewsHunterhoop

Who in this team is championship quality. on 23:21 - Dec 27 by daveB

I think the majority of this side are championship quality possibly bar Niko and Dykes who both have potential but look a bit short at the moment.

Can you add Geoff to that list? Once upon a time, most certainly, but his legs have gone, and if he ever had a football brain, that’s gone too.
Login to get fewer ads

Who in this team is championship quality. on 23:38 - Dec 27 with 1878 viewsdublinr

Who in this team is championship quality. on 23:17 - Dec 27 by DannyPaddox

There’s a dread and a predictability about watching QPR at the moment but we’re not far off matching the top 6 championship teams for quality. Bournemouth may well win this division and we outplayed them. Reading, Stoke, Swansea - we looked better than all of them for large parts of the game. I wouldn’t be surprised if Norwich is a close contest but what does it matter if we can’t score.

I don’t think any other manager could improve our squad at the moment and I’m hoping Warburton is chastened and learning from the recent results. So if the club can find a couple of players in the January transfer window with goals in them, young, old, or borrowed, then I say stick with Warburton.

But ... the January transfer window is the worst time to buy players and despite me highlighting our attacking failings the two players I’d fcuk off this instance and play any inexperienced youth player instead are Barbet & Cameron. Those two can fcuk right off. I had some kind of naive eternal optimism at the beginning of the season but when I heard Carpetbagger Cameron was named Captain I felt unsure about the whole thing which in turn makes me question Warburton’s decision making.

Ah fcuk I don’t know.

I make you right danny.

Except that I think getting in a proper midfield general type is actually more important than getting in another striker. If we had a midfield with mettle we'd be winning the odd game 1 nil. F@ck it, we'd have already won the odd game or three 1nil.

Who in this team is championship quality. on 23:38 - Dec 27 with 1877 viewsHastings_Hoops

All championship quality. The question is ‘which players would fit into a mid table championship team?’ - if played properly, I would suggest:

Dieng
Dickie
Carol
Amos
Chair
BOS
Dykes

Accepting that Amos is not an option, I would build a team around that and end up with:

Dieng
Kakay, Dickie, Masterson
Kane, Chair, Ball, Carol, BOS
Dykes, Kelman

That would probably be a lower mid table team.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 00:27 - Dec 28 with 1827 viewsGreenbay

Who in this team is championship quality. on 23:38 - Dec 27 by Hastings_Hoops

All championship quality. The question is ‘which players would fit into a mid table championship team?’ - if played properly, I would suggest:

Dieng
Dickie
Carol
Amos
Chair
BOS
Dykes

Accepting that Amos is not an option, I would build a team around that and end up with:

Dieng
Kakay, Dickie, Masterson
Dykes, Kelman

I like that team Hastings.
Six of them first season in the first team with others also their first season on the bench.
Majority of them young and can be improved. That's the remit.
BOS of course may be leaving - if anyone still wants him.
Love his speed and strength but mostly goes down a dead end instead of crossing or shooting - apart from two brilliant goals - one this season and the other last.
Warbs problem - apart from the unenviable task of creating another team for the second successive year - is that these youngsters have had so little time on the training ground.
Getting used to each for starters, set-piece practices, more organised defence although improved this year and Dykes and his midfielders working out what is required.
If we can survive in this division then pre-season training next year should make a big difference developing those youngsters into a good Championship side.
Problem for the Board - as we plunge down the table - will they stick with Warbs or twist and take a huge risk with a new boss?
As said in other posts If Warbs has still got the dressing room I hope he stays.
If he hasn't - then there's no choice.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 08:56 - Dec 28 with 1620 viewsbakerloo8

Dieng
Dickie
Carol
Amos
Chair
BOS
Dykes

Dieng
Kakay, Dickie, Masterson
Dykes, Kelman

Really like that team as well. Would jettison Kane as far away from the defence as possible as hes a liability there, maybe further upfield could be an option as he can cross well on occasions.

Also, with our defensive frailties I really dont understand why we dont go 3 at the back and 3 in central midfield (chair) wwhick gives us the option of playing 2 up top for goal threat. MW rigid tactical onus doesn't really allow this though.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 09:20 - Dec 28 with 1572 viewsGloucs_R

Posted about the squad back in September. Looking back at that post, must of us were spot on. I said this back then...

Dykes for Hugill
Bonne for Wells
Kelman for Oteh
Amos for Eze
Niko for Manning
Uncle for BOS
Dickie for Hall
Dieng for Lumley
Kakay for Rangel
Willock for Pugh
Thomas for Clarke
Carroll for Scowen

Nobody replaced BFG , I think he would have made a difference this season.

Cameron should have been released and replaced

The strikers are a massive downgrade, apart from Kelman (we think)

They all really needed to hit the ground running. We can't buy players (to resell) and expect miracles in the first season.

I will feel we're only 3-4 players away from a decent side. So I do feel a little sorry for Warburton. I don't think he's helping himself, showing a lack of leadership, but our squad this year is crap.

CM, leader
LB, experienced, quick, can defend and cross a ball
AMR to replace BOS or give Thomas/ Uncle a few starts at least
CB, another big ugly, nasty, shouty, leader
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 15:38]

Poll: Are we staying up?

Who in this team is championship quality. on 09:31 - Dec 28 with 1542 viewsdistortR

Dieng
Dickie
Carol
Amos
Chair
BOS
Dykes

Dieng
Kakay, Dickie, Masterson
Dykes, Kelman

is that reliant on BOS tracking back, and only Ball shielding what would be a really inexperienced defence with BOS and Kane pushing up? And while I'd like to see a bit more of Kelman, I think it may well be asking a bit much of him to start. What happens if he doesn't score in his first 5 games?
Losing Amos and Owens at the same time has hurt us, but was always a risk given their unfortunate track records. I don't think LTC contributes enough over the 90. And I can't really put an 11 together out of our present squad.
I'm in the 'big midfield presence' in jan camp.
For a low fee and comparatively low wages.
Only a few grand a week.
We must be mugs
Who in this team is championship quality. on 09:42 - Dec 28 with 1518 viewsdaveB

Who in this team is championship quality. on 23:28 - Dec 27 by Hunterhoop

Can you add Geoff to that list? Once upon a time, most certainly, but his legs have gone, and if he ever had a football brain, that’s gone too.

On current form I'd agree with you but I think if used properly he is good enough for this level quality wise but playing every minute of every game it daft and not helping him or us
Who in this team is championship quality. on 10:38 - Dec 28 with 1431 viewsBAWHoops

Probably not is the answer

If we look at the first choice 11

Dieng - Yes
Kane/Kakay - No
Barbet - Yes
Dickie - Yes
Niko/Wallace - No
Cameron/Ball - No
Carroll - Yes
BOS - Yes
Chair - Yes
Willock/Uncs - Couldn't say... but probably
Dykes/Bonne - Couldn't say... but probably

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Who in this team is championship quality. on 12:13 - Dec 28 with 1343 viewsHastings_Hoops

Who in this team is championship quality. on 09:31 - Dec 28 by distortR

is that reliant on BOS tracking back, and only Ball shielding what would be a really inexperienced defence with BOS and Kane pushing up? And while I'd like to see a bit more of Kelman, I think it may well be asking a bit much of him to start. What happens if he doesn't score in his first 5 games?
Losing Amos and Owens at the same time has hurt us, but was always a risk given their unfortunate track records. I don't think LTC contributes enough over the 90. And I can't really put an 11 together out of our present squad.
Only a few grand a week.
We must be mugs

To be brutally honest, I’m done with BOS. Last season he was unplayable and un-droppable - this season his contribution by inclusion is more of a disruption to our best set up (which I am convinced is 3-5-2). Let him go. If he goes, it may actually unlock a different formation and ability to play to the strengths of the squad.

Swap BOS for Hameleinen or Willock? depending on whether we’re on the attack, or looking to hold our line.

I just think that Kelman running off of Dykes will be a good combination - two work horses (Dykes and Bonne) don’t compliment each other.

Maybe interchange Uncs and Kelman and similarly interchange Dykes and Bonne.

What I am confident of, is that we do have potential but we find ourselves at a bit of a crossroads in this project.

I posted elsewhere that a couple of loans would be shrewd in January (given FFP relaxation this year and the owner’s need to invest a little to avoid a huge loss caused by relegation) and might tip the balance of this team, without disrupting player progression.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 14:01 - Dec 28 with 1224 viewsHastings_Hoops

Who in this team is championship quality. on 09:31 - Dec 28 by distortR

Only a few grand a week.
We must be mugs

Given relaxation in FFP this year, it would be prudent for the owners to invest a few thousand extra a month to bring in some loans (definitely not signings) on a slightly higher wage, just to tide us through this transition.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 14:12 - Dec 28 with 1207 viewsTGRRRSSS

Who in this team is championship quality. on 19:12 - Dec 27 by QPR_John

"Just because Dykes might play at the Euro's doesn't mean he's Championship level player it means he's playing for a country who cannot pick in his position players who they would if they could. "

You ignore the point that he will be playing against international defenders and in the Euros you would expect most of them will be above Championship level. if he could not cope then Scotland would not pick him however few their choices are.

Not I don't, I doubt Scotland will pick up a point at the Euro's - sorry - but there overall record in Qualifiers for so many years suggests it.
The issue with International football is that you can come across many many players playing there by dint or international availability in that country and frankly the luck to be able to play for a certain country.

Messi would have won everything had he opted to play for Spain (He could have) but has only won only a Copa America (arguably less competitive than the Euro's.

Likewise in the World Cup you will play against sides and players who would never get in a PL or top European sides but play at a world cup due to how it's spread about.

Panama for instance had many players I don't suppose fit to lace Gigg's boots, but he never played in a top international tournament by dint of his international choice (Again he could have played for England.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 14:44 - Dec 28 with 1159 viewsBrianWilson

The Championship is shite so most of em are up to this level.

For instance, Barbet is not very good but I'd say, yeah he is championship standard.

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Who in this team is championship quality. on 15:17 - Dec 28 with 1100 viewsbosh67

The big thing is what we are able to afford and how hungry they really are to kick on.

I said on a number of other threads you look at Niko, Kakay, Willock, Dykes, Kelman, Dieng, Dickie, Thomas, even Wallace. None of them have ever played at this level until this season. 9 players!

Then you add Chair, Amos (who's out), Masterson (handful of games last season), Bonne (not all of last season) and Ball and it's only Chair and Ball that have had one full season at this level before this one. Bos as well and he's off.

So that is 14 (14) of the match day squad for this season with almost no experience at this level yet!

Only Barbet, Cameron and Carroll have real experience at this level.

But we expect them to be pushing for the play-offs! ??? We're 19th, exactly where this group of players, the club under increasing FFP and pandemic pressure really should be.

It's a League 1 squad trying to stay up this season. Last year it was a squad that could have made the fringes of the play offs but this season it's a team made up of players getting to grips with this level. And not doing too well but possibly at a level that's realistic at the moment.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 15:18]

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Who in this team is championship quality. on 15:52 - Dec 28 with 1032 viewsBrianWilson

I suppose you could look at it as who would stay with us next year if we were relegated. Then I think (unless not wanted by us)

Kelly
Kakay
Häm
Masterson
Wallace
Cameron
Adomah
Thomas
Kelman

not sure after that...

fair to say if Dykes doesn't improve he would be with us in Lge 1 too.

Players like Ball, Carroll, Adomah, Kane are borderline. They would think they should stay in the Championship but might not get a deal.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 15:56]

"a diseased bunch of mofos if there ever was one, their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons." - Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

Who in this team is championship quality. on 15:56 - Dec 28 with 1024 viewsGreenbay

Who in this team is championship quality. on 15:17 - Dec 28 by bosh67

The big thing is what we are able to afford and how hungry they really are to kick on.

I said on a number of other threads you look at Niko, Kakay, Willock, Dykes, Kelman, Dieng, Dickie, Thomas, even Wallace. None of them have ever played at this level until this season. 9 players!

Then you add Chair, Amos (who's out), Masterson (handful of games last season), Bonne (not all of last season) and Ball and it's only Chair and Ball that have had one full season at this level before this one. Bos as well and he's off.

So that is 14 (14) of the match day squad for this season with almost no experience at this level yet!

Only Barbet, Cameron and Carroll have real experience at this level.

But we expect them to be pushing for the play-offs! ??? We're 19th, exactly where this group of players, the club under increasing FFP and pandemic pressure really should be.

It's a League 1 squad trying to stay up this season. Last year it was a squad that could have made the fringes of the play offs but this season it's a team made up of players getting to grips with this level. And not doing too well but possibly at a level that's realistic at the moment.
[Post edited 28 Dec 2020 15:18]

Spot on Bosh.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 16:01 - Dec 28 with 1001 viewsHastings_Hoops

Who in this team is championship quality. on 15:56 - Dec 28 by Greenbay

Spot on Bosh.

Using the analogy of turning a battle ship, we’re currently “mid-turn”. A few nips and tucks to stay up this year and we’ll see progress next year.
Who in this team is championship quality. on 16:10 - Dec 28 with 988 viewsJamesB1979

Who in this team is championship quality. on 10:38 - Dec 28 by BAWHoops

Probably not is the answer

If we look at the first choice 11

Dieng - Yes
Kane/Kakay - No
Barbet - Yes
Dickie - Yes
Niko/Wallace - No
Cameron/Ball - No
Carroll - Yes
BOS - Yes
Chair - Yes
Willock/Uncs - Couldn't say... but probably
Dykes/Bonne - Couldn't say... but probably

That’s how I see it. I think we really weak defensively at full back, as we were last season. We’ve tried to get players that can go forward but have ended up with players that can’t defend that well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024