Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Combating Armstrong 17:28 - Feb 5 with 1884 viewsMyke

I think the general consensus after the away game was that Dickie's lack of pace was badly exposed by Armstrong, not just for the third goal but on other occasions too. Since then, two things have happened. Dickie has settled into become a top class defender, probably competing with Dieng for POTS. Secondly, we have switched to a back three, which not-withstanding Cameron's ageing body, has served us well since the turn of the year
So are those two things enough,or do we need to take specific measures to keep Armstrong in check?
Combating Armstrong on 17:54 - Feb 5 with 1789 viewsBrianMcCarthy

They tend to start him out wide and running in around the back or checking in, from what I've seen.

He's fairly two-footed but more often than not they use him coming in from the left channel and either checking on to his right or rounding on the outside onto his slightly-less favoured left.

Either way if they use him there he's on a collision course with Kane and Dickie.

Swapping Kane out robs us of our more used and more effective wing-back and Kakay is not ready to come in out of nowhere even if we thought that was a wiser move (it wouldn't be as they'd then swap him on to Wallace/Niko and Barbet) . So I can't see any other change.

More of a concern to me is that Blackburn like to load midfield with bodies to stop our runs but also to clog up sightlines for our quick passing game, forcing us to rush passes and cough up possession. This is what every team has done against us for the last two months either from the off or at HT if we are on top. They know we will hardly ever go long. And it's Blackburn's natural game as they play 433/451.

While the change to 3412 has given us more bodies in central midfield , we saw that against Derby we are still susceptible to a team doing this to us. Derby were excellent at it, and we were restricted to Ball and an out-of-position Willock that day, and Dieng continued with short passing rather than bypassing our problem area and hitting Austin and Dykes.

Blackburn may not be as good as Derby at blocking midfield, plus we now have more options for that quick spot and quick pass which might help to negate it.

Win midfield and we take pressure off whoever has to mind Armstrong.
Lose midfield and it could be a tough 90 minutes.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 18:40]

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Combating Armstrong on 18:03 - Feb 5 with 1747 viewsLongsufferingR

Let the Johansen from that youtube video loose on him first half an hour. He'll soon go into his shell.
Combating Armstrong on 18:09 - Feb 5 with 1725 viewsWatford_Ranger

Put him in the fking stand.
Combating Armstrong on 18:11 - Feb 5 with 1718 viewsMyke

Combating Armstrong on 17:54 - Feb 5 by BrianMcCarthy

They tend to start him out wide and running in around the back or checking in, from what I've seen.

He's fairly two-footed but more often than not they use him coming in from the left channel and either checking on to his right or rounding on the outside onto his slightly-less favoured left.

Either way if they use him there he's on a collision course with Kane and Dickie.

Swapping Kane out robs us of our more used and more effective wing-back and Kakay is not ready to come in out of nowhere even if we thought that was a wiser move (it wouldn't be as they'd then swap him on to Wallace/Niko and Barbet) . So I can't see any other change.

More of a concern to me is that Blackburn like to load midfield with bodies to stop our runs but also to clog up sightlines for our quick passing game, forcing us to rush passes and cough up possession. This is what every team has done against us for the last two months either from the off or at HT if we are on top. They know we will hardly ever go long. And it's Blackburn's natural game as they play 433/451.

While the change to 3412 has given us more bodies in central midfield , we saw that against Derby we are still susceptible to a team doing this to us. Derby were excellent at it, and we were restricted to Ball and an out-of-position Willock that day, and Dieng continued with short passing rather than bypassing our problem area and hitting Austin and Dykes.

Blackburn may not be as good as Derby at blocking midfield, plus we now have more options for that quick spot and quick pass which might help to negate it.

Win midfield and we take pressure off whoever has to mind Armstrong.
Lose midfield and it could be a tough 90 minutes.
[Post edited 5 Feb 2021 18:40]

Great analysis Brian - they have Dack back too
Combating Armstrong on 18:14 - Feb 5 with 1698 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Combating Armstrong on 18:09 - Feb 5 by Watford_Ranger

Put him in the fking stand.

Combating Armstrong on 18:32 - Feb 5 with 1637 viewsthemodfather

i have always thought blackburn are physical, lucky, stubborn, dirty at times and to me, dislikable and hard to beat. maybe a draw is ok tomorrow? armstrong needs stopping, row b ellerslie will do lol
Combating Armstrong on 18:37 - Feb 5 with 1615 viewsnix

Brilliant analysis Brian. Hopefully Mark is reading this!
Combating Armstrong on 19:36 - Feb 5 with 1480 viewsQPRSteve

I was going to suggest bringing back Dave Webb to sort him out but had forgotten we now have Johansen to dish out some pain.
Login to get fewer ads

Combating Armstrong on 23:33 - Feb 5 with 1311 viewsDannyPaddox

Release the Johansen!

Fantastic breakdown and analysis Brian. I’ll now be watching the game with a heightened awareness of what’s going on. Tone: veering toward pompous but sincere.
Combating Armstrong on 23:44 - Feb 5 with 1296 viewscaliforniahoop

This is where we need a Danny Maddix
Combating Armstrong on 23:54 - Feb 5 with 1271 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Combating Armstrong on 23:33 - Feb 5 by DannyPaddox

Release the Johansen!

Fantastic breakdown and analysis Brian. I’ll now be watching the game with a heightened awareness of what’s going on. Tone: veering toward pompous but sincere.

Johansen looks to be carrying a right abductor failure to me?

Enough to make anyone mad.

Combating Armstrong on 12:27 - Feb 6 with 1044 viewsBurnleyhoop

Maybe for this game, Cameron stamping on a few ankles might be just what is required....preferably not in our own penalty box though.
Combating Armstrong on 21:53 - Feb 6 with 866 viewsaston_hoop

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/blackburn-boss-believed-dickie-would-be-weak

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Combating Armstrong on 22:02 - Feb 6 with 832 viewsAntti_Heinola

Combating Armstrong on 21:53 - Feb 6 by aston_hoop

https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/blackburn-boss-believed-dickie-would-be-weak

Baffling - if he felt that, why not put him up against Wallace?!

Bare bones.

Combating Armstrong on 22:03 - Feb 6 with 831 viewsLongsufferingR

Combating Armstrong on 21:53 - Feb 6 by aston_hoop

to be fair if he was judging by our game at their place, he'd have a point, but you would have thought they would have taken a more in depth look at us than that!
Combating Armstrong on 22:19 - Feb 6 with 780 viewsbosh67

The thing about the back three is that it is set up to be sitting deep and facing play. Our defenders lack pace but with this set up they are facing play and can move forward to break it up, rather than allowing attackers to get behind them. It's made a huge difference. Plus Dieng!

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024