Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? 09:26 - May 14 with 4508 viewsWalnut

Well, it's May14 & it's raining which, despite this being 38 years ago (oh gawd!) brings back vivid memories of going up to Grimsby on the last day of the season having already been crowned 1982/83 Div2 Champions under ElTel. Special train out of KX, disembarked at a remote NewClee station to the obvious whiff of fish. Without looking this up, we were one down and at HT a thunder/lightning storm delayed the second half. On a sodden pitch Stainrod equalised at our end 10 mins to go, limbs as they say!
The locals outside afterwards couldn't do enough to congratulate us & wish us well on our journey home (ahem!!)
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 09:31 - May 14 with 4487 viewsLoftgirl

Yes, I was there. The main thing I remember was the storm.
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 10:26 - May 14 with 4399 viewsDWQPR

Was their with my brother and three friends. Drove up from Greenford in an Austin Avenger, two door job. Being the youngest I was in the middle of the back seat. Not good. Had a quick game of football on Cleethorpes beach before deciding that the weather wasn’t looking great.

Rained heavy pre-match and remember a couple of young lads sitting on the perimeter wall in front of use behind the goal with a big constant dripping from the roof guttering above, which eventually gave way and soaked the lads.

The storm at half time was biblical to say the least. Players came out for the second half onto a pitch that was two thirds covered in water. The following 45 minutes was a complete farce and if correctly Stainrod lobbed the keeper only for the ball to get stuck in the six yard box in a huge puddle, which then was the cue for a scramble of players and ball ending up in the back of the net.

Certainly was a memorable afternoon.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 10:28 - May 14 with 4398 views81A

I also went up on the special train.
It was at a time when Grimsby traditionally presented the match officials with fresh fish. Obviously a bribe.
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 11:30 - May 14 with 4337 viewsNorthernr

May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 11:31 - May 14 with 4333 viewsNorthernr

May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 12:36 - May 14 with 4258 viewsSuperhoop83

May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 11:30 - May 14 by Northernr

Best synchronised sliding tackle ever.

Suffering since 1978.

May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 12:39 - May 14 with 4250 viewsSonofNorfolt

About 200 of us got there via Newark at bang on 11am just as the pubs opened.
A long and eventful day ensued.
Thank fu ck we were under cover for the weather that had to be endured.
I recall Martin Duffield got his only appearance?
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 12:52 - May 14 with 4222 viewscharmr

Yep was also there. Biblical is a very apt description.

Memory recalls loads of inflatables on the terraces. Not sure though?
Login to get fewer ads

May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 13:52 - May 14 with 4153 viewsDWQPR

May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 11:30 - May 14 by Northernr

Thanks for posting that Clive. Obviously my recall of the equaliser wasn't exact but the weather conditions and the state of the pitch was something that I will never forget. Fantastic double sliding tackle on Bob Hazell. Nowadays that would have resulted in a double sending off. Fantastic

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 14:03 - May 14 with 4134 viewsBostonR

I was there with a large contingent from Ladbroke Grove. Travelled up on the special train which got stuck just outside St Neots, if I recall.
A few of us missed the train back and spent a fecking brilliant night in a working men's club in the town. The locals were immense. Getting back to London was biblical, but just to say quite of few us missed work on the Monday!
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 17:46 - May 14 with 4005 viewsKerryE

I was there, 5 of us drove up. The rain was hilarious.
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 16:02 - May 15 with 3740 viewsStillwell

I was there, worst rain ever at a game.
Perfect weather for the codheads....
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 18:19 - May 15 with 3677 viewsMoonshineSteve

I was there. Hailstones.

I am still Steve but no longer in Dagenham.

May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 19:41 - May 15 with 3629 viewsManinBlack

Yes I was also there having done the Rangers Rocket as the programme used to refer. It was the weather that dominated proceedings and I witnessed a similar amount of rainfall today in Carmarthen for about 10 minutes reminding me of that day.

I do recall our fans cheering for Fulham as we wanted them to come up with us. The train home was a bind as we got diverted round Cambridge way because of engineering works. Those who missed it avoided the lengthy journey home.
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 13:51 - May 16 with 3461 viewswelwynranger

Rain not as bad. But I remember being at Molineux .it had been raining heavily all day. During the second half the ball was getting stuck into the ground with 2 or 3 players just kicking up water with the ball going nowhere. Virtually everyone in the ground thought it should have been abandoned but it wasnt and somehow Wolved managed to score late on to win 2-1
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 15:32 - May 16 with 3409 viewsngbqpr

I was at Hull Uni at the time so was a nice local game (lots of local aways for us that season). 4 of us made the trip (3 Rs,one hanger on), picking up a couple of other northern Rs we'd got to know en route.

I remember on the way home waiting for our train to go. A load of Rs on the opposite platform assumed we were GTFC as we weren't facing London-wards, and some less than flattering comments were aimed our way. I revealed my Rangers top, the abuse quickly turning to laughs & cheers, and "we're 'ere, we're there, we're every fkinwhere, QPR...". :)

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 18:08 - May 16 with 3348 viewscollegeranger

Didn't go as I was only 13 at the time - but remember singing a song in the few matches at home before - to the tune of 'She'll be coming round the mountain'

We'll be running round Grimsby with our willies hanging out,
we'll be running round Grimsby with our willies hanging out.
We'll be running round Grimsby, running round Grimsby,
Singing we've got a bigger one than you, got one bigger, got one bigger than you!"

Purile, infantile, yet somehow perfect!
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 18:33 - May 16 with 3328 viewsDiggertheMole

5 of us in a car - drank in Cleethorpes. Sat in FINDUS stand watching ships at sea - much more memorable than the football. Celebrated Stainrod's goal and headed South. Spent the evening in Spilsby - dunno what it's like now but had a good selection of boozers. Long night ...very long night. Great away trip - still discuss it!
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 07:52 - May 17 with 3190 viewsNorthernr

May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 18:33 - May 16 by DiggertheMole

5 of us in a car - drank in Cleethorpes. Sat in FINDUS stand watching ships at sea - much more memorable than the football. Celebrated Stainrod's goal and headed South. Spent the evening in Spilsby - dunno what it's like now but had a good selection of boozers. Long night ...very long night. Great away trip - still discuss it!

One of the great views in football from the back of the Findus (now John Smith's) stand at Grimsby.
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 13:41 - May 17 with 3046 viewscharmr

Got me wondering any takers on how many Rangers there that day. I can’t even remember if I drove or was on the train.
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 14:46 - May 17 with 3007 viewsBostonR

May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 13:41 - May 17 by charmr

Got me wondering any takers on how many Rangers there that day. I can’t even remember if I drove or was on the train.

1500 around the ground, plus quite a few tossed out by the Police!
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 23:47 - May 17 with 2893 viewsgr1

On Kinghams executive coach with tables. Fighting down the road. I was 20 years old.

Last one back on the coach and Kingham kept it waiting. Called me a Fck holligan..ha ha.
May 14th 1983 Grimsby Away - Who was there? on 15:46 - May 18 with 2743 viewsTheChef

Good grief how the hell was that game not abandoned?? Amazing

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024