Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Players and Intelligence 16:06 - Apr 3 with 2367 viewstoboboly

Can't help but think that a lot of ours don't seem to have that in-game intelligence that can be the difference in getting the points.

A few examples recently:

Dozzell and Chair short corner routine near the death, was never going to work with two Fulham players in attendance. Whip it in.

Barbet's late free kick a few week ago onto Shepherds Bush Green.

Any throw in we have, attacking or defensive, no-one shows for it, no-one moves, they are slow and pedestrian, no urgency even when we are losing.

I am sure there are many others, but it seems to be very similar when no matter who we play and is exacerbated when we are losing but also occurs when we are winning.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Players and Intelligence on 16:19 - Apr 3 with 2305 viewsLogman

I think by and large it has improved under Warburton and I think our management team is as well equipped as any in the division to harness it. I guess its the same as the other player attributes - if you want the best then it costs money and as we have a limited budget we have to do the best we can.
Players and Intelligence on 16:21 - Apr 3 with 2294 viewsplasmahoop

Also think we should do a lot more tactical fouls. I absolutely hate that, and think it should be clamped down upon. But it isn’t and it’s part of the game. Several times Fulham had a dangerous break, and it should have been stopped at source
Players and Intelligence on 16:26 - Apr 3 with 2276 viewsLogman

Players and Intelligence on 16:21 - Apr 3 by plasmahoop

Also think we should do a lot more tactical fouls. I absolutely hate that, and think it should be clamped down upon. But it isn’t and it’s part of the game. Several times Fulham had a dangerous break, and it should have been stopped at source

Can't agree with that. Yesterday was one of the most open and pleasing on the eye home matches of the season and the absence of any shit-housery for most of the game* was a large factor in that.

* Until their second sub came on and starting rolling around.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2022 16:27]
Players and Intelligence on 13:13 - Apr 4 with 1958 viewsNorrisGreen

Yes. We are naive. Was a little microcosm at Ewood Park a few weeks ago.....

Willock on the ball in wide midfield, nothing much on. Three Rovers players close him down and bundle him off the ball to turn over possession.

Virtually minutes later its the same scenario but with one of their players in possession getting hustled by three Rs players. However, their player throws himself to the ground, ref immediately buys the subterfuge and awards a free kick.

It's about having the vision and nous to assess the ingame situation and play the "percentages" to achieve best outcomes. It like when players brainlessly foul an opponent who is going nowhere with his back to goal.. you feel like shaking them and screaming in their ear WTF!!! Maybe in second tier we need to accept that some players just don't have that sort of nous and intelligence?
Players and Intelligence on 13:38 - Apr 4 with 1898 viewsnadera78

The examples given in the OP are really about set pieces, and they've long been an issue. Warburton has clearly done lots of excellent things with us, most impressively by improving individual players, but this is an area where we haven't improved - and I think I remember Clint Hill saying that they never worked on these when he was Glasgow Rangers with Warbs.

I get the impression that in the modern game lots of coaches see set pieces as a lesser thing, not as worth their time as working on players' movement and skillset, but to my mind they're a hugely important part of the game simply because they happen so often. Literally every minute of football has a set piece of some sort, from the threatening type to the mundane re-starts. Every team should have 2 or 3 set throw ins that they've worked on and they can perform without thinking. Likewise corners. And plans for free kicks from a variety of locations. I know it sounds old fashioned, because it involves drilling players relentlessly until they've perfected it, and everyone wants to be seen as modern and progressive, but it's an area where teams can make a huge impact on their cumulative performance.
Players and Intelligence on 14:37 - Apr 4 with 1790 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Yes I’d agree with this. Some of our football has appeared brainless at times. I don’t necessarily blame individuals it’s a collective problem. I do feel we lack leadership on the pitch. As well as problems with his form and fitness, the thing that has disappointed me most about Johansen this season has been his captaincy. I was quite excited by his appointment in the summer but I think he’s been a poor captain.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Players and Intelligence on 14:46 - Apr 4 with 1768 viewsRs_Holy

re - 'Barbet's late free kick a few week ago onto Shepherds Bush Green'

Me - It looks like its Barbet or Chair?
Holy Junior - Definitely looks like Barbet shaping up
Me - They're not going to let Barbet take it...... are they?
Holy Junior - yes
Me - (deep sigh) Come on ... we're off!

cue free kick going onto Shepherds Bush Green

Unfortunately the ref blew the final whistle before we'd got to the end of the row :(
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 14:58]
Players and Intelligence on 17:39 - Apr 4 with 1627 viewsPunteR

On the throw ins i did notice on the one occasion Moses taking one in the final third about 20 yards from the corner flag with literally no player within a radius of about 40 yards to throw too. This was deep in the 2nd half and us chasing the game. Just struck me that a couple of players weren't really switched on or new what to do in that scenario.
Also why is Dykes taking throws? He's hardly got a Delap missile he can launch ,and even if he did surely he should be in the box to receive it?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

Players and Intelligence on 18:43 - Apr 4 with 1555 viewsSK_hoops

I'm pretty sure we've been like that on throw ins as long as I can remember.
Players and Intelligence on 18:59 - Apr 4 with 1535 viewsNorthLondonR

Players and Intelligence on 14:46 - Apr 4 by Rs_Holy

re - 'Barbet's late free kick a few week ago onto Shepherds Bush Green'

Me - It looks like its Barbet or Chair?
Holy Junior - Definitely looks like Barbet shaping up
Me - They're not going to let Barbet take it...... are they?
Holy Junior - yes
Me - (deep sigh) Come on ... we're off!

cue free kick going onto Shepherds Bush Green

Unfortunately the ref blew the final whistle before we'd got to the end of the row :(
[Post edited 4 Apr 2022 14:58]

when that ball sails into the top corner on a warm Saturday afternoon in May at Wembley, you will feel absolute shame in bringing this up 😆... however even I'm starting believe this not to be the case..
Players and Intelligence on 20:13 - Apr 4 with 1431 viewsDorse

Sick and tired of being the gob- bumee rather than bummer with regards to in-game shithousery. Is there some sort of course we could go on? You know, with a certificate or badge to show our competence? Perhaps it could be run by former Argentinian internationals with an axe to grind. Someone who only played maybe 8 times because of 'that bastard Juan Veron' (after whose name they always spit).

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Players and Intelligence on 09:19 - Apr 5 with 1234 viewstoboboly

Players and Intelligence on 13:38 - Apr 4 by nadera78

The examples given in the OP are really about set pieces, and they've long been an issue. Warburton has clearly done lots of excellent things with us, most impressively by improving individual players, but this is an area where we haven't improved - and I think I remember Clint Hill saying that they never worked on these when he was Glasgow Rangers with Warbs.

I get the impression that in the modern game lots of coaches see set pieces as a lesser thing, not as worth their time as working on players' movement and skillset, but to my mind they're a hugely important part of the game simply because they happen so often. Literally every minute of football has a set piece of some sort, from the threatening type to the mundane re-starts. Every team should have 2 or 3 set throw ins that they've worked on and they can perform without thinking. Likewise corners. And plans for free kicks from a variety of locations. I know it sounds old fashioned, because it involves drilling players relentlessly until they've perfected it, and everyone wants to be seen as modern and progressive, but it's an area where teams can make a huge impact on their cumulative performance.

I think set piece issues stand out more than in play issues. But you are certainly right, it has been noticeable since January how many times a ball could be made if there was a run but we don't run and the ball is never played.

The Fulham 8 was full of running yet didn't get many balls through however that didn't stop him from continuing to run. Our guys seem to give up or wait for the ball rather than giving more options for the ball carrier.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Players and Intelligence on 09:57 - Apr 5 with 1163 viewsRBlock

Players and Intelligence on 13:38 - Apr 4 by nadera78

Last season and the start of this, we actually had a couple of quite smart corner routines. There was one where the corner taker plays a one-two with someone coming short on the by-line, with one of the CBs (Barbet) having then peeled off towards the penalty spot and created space for a shooting opportunity. Worked quite well, but haven't seen it attempted for a long time now.
Players and Intelligence on 09:59 - Apr 5 with 1158 viewsdaveB

That corner at the end when we are 2-0 down and creating nothing from open play, had all 3 centre halves up plus Austin and Dykes in the box to play it short was one of the most stupid things I've seen us do for a long time.
Players and Intelligence on 10:04 - Apr 5 with 1152 viewsfrancisbowles

Free kicks around the halfway line. Nearly always go backwards, often quickly with opponents too close meaning they go further back and sometimes end up with our keeper kicking it long.

How is that better than putting it in the box in the first place?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024