Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The rules of football 22:22 - Jul 15 with 1990 viewsqprxtc

Why is 11 v 11 and not 10 v 10?

Why are goals the size they are?

What’s that semi circle outside the penalty area do?

What’s the pint of a corner or a throw in?

What’s it all about ? As Terence Stamp may have said.

Too much caviar only pints to middle age spread, there won’t be room for many playboys in your single bed.

The rules of football on 23:09 - Jul 15 with 1923 viewsHAYESBOY

Smells like a trout farm in here

The rules of football on 23:16 - Jul 15 with 1918 viewsDorse

'What’s that semi circle outside the penalty area do?'

It's the only area of the pitch in which players mat become partially aroused.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

The rules of football on 23:18 - Jul 15 with 1917 viewsqprxtc

The rules of football on 23:16 - Jul 15 by Dorse

'What’s that semi circle outside the penalty area do?'

It's the only area of the pitch in which players mat become partially aroused.

That’s brilliant!
The rules of football on 23:44 - Jul 15 with 1896 viewsloftboy

The semi circle, if the circle was made a full circle the line would be exactly 10 yards from the penalty spot, basically it’s to ensure that players are 10 yards away from the spot when the kick is taken.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2022 23:45]

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

The rules of football on 00:22 - Jul 16 with 1881 viewsqprxtc

The rules of football on 23:44 - Jul 15 by loftboy

The semi circle, if the circle was made a full circle the line would be exactly 10 yards from the penalty spot, basically it’s to ensure that players are 10 yards away from the spot when the kick is taken.
[Post edited 15 Jul 2022 23:45]

What if it’s an indirect free kick in the penalty area?!?🤷‍♂️

Me no know
The rules of football on 18:42 - Jul 16 with 1685 viewsloftboy

The rules of football on 00:22 - Jul 16 by qprxtc

What if it’s an indirect free kick in the penalty area?!?🤷‍♂️

Me no know

It’s easy, you use the other markings as a guidance, the goal area ( 6 yard box) is 12 yards from the edge of the penalty area, so a free kick just inside the area the players should be back on the 6 yard line.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2022 20:48]

The rules of football on 19:29 - Jul 16 with 1633 viewsBoston

Marlins?

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

The rules of football on 19:38 - Jul 16 with 1625 viewsBoston

The size of the goals was defined at the very beginning of the sports rules being drawn up by the FA. Simply, they decided what was a reasonable size for a/ players to score and b/ keepers to have a reasonable chance to save.

Login to get fewer ads

The rules of football on 20:48 - Jul 16 with 1596 viewsloftboy

The rules of football on 19:29 - Jul 16 by Boston

Marlins?

I don’t know what you mean! 😇

The rules of football on 12:54 - Jul 18 with 1425 viewsPinnerPaul

The rules of football on 18:42 - Jul 16 by loftboy

It’s easy, you use the other markings as a guidance, the goal area ( 6 yard box) is 12 yards from the edge of the penalty area, so a free kick just inside the area the players should be back on the 6 yard line.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2022 20:48]

and if there is a free kcik neaer than 10 yards from the goaline, all players must stand between the goal posts.

Football was played to different laws all over the country, as travel became easier it became necessary to standardise the laws.

They still play Harrow Rules football at Harrow School, which seems to me to be like Rugby but without any actual laws at all!

Referees came about because in the early days Captains used to decide any disputes between themselves, as arguments increased the disputes were REFERRED to a person on the sideline, the referee, who obviously then eventually came on to the pitch.
The rules of football on 13:09 - Jul 18 with 1372 viewscolinallcars

The rules of football on 12:54 - Jul 18 by PinnerPaul

and if there is a free kcik neaer than 10 yards from the goaline, all players must stand between the goal posts.

Football was played to different laws all over the country, as travel became easier it became necessary to standardise the laws.

They still play Harrow Rules football at Harrow School, which seems to me to be like Rugby but without any actual laws at all!

Referees came about because in the early days Captains used to decide any disputes between themselves, as arguments increased the disputes were REFERRED to a person on the sideline, the referee, who obviously then eventually came on to the pitch.

I think, correct me if I'm wrong, that heading the ball was only done by northern teams. Southerners referred to it as “bashin' the ball with yer brains”
The rules of football on 13:59 - Jul 18 with 1320 viewsizlingtonhoop

The rules of football on 12:54 - Jul 18 by PinnerPaul

And now referee can be a verb.

Interesting that.
The rules of football on 14:02 - Jul 18 with 1310 viewsizlingtonhoop

I've often wondered why the penalty area is oblong and not a constant distance from the centre of the goal.

Doesn't really make sense to me that a player could be fouled at one point and get a penalty, and at another - the same distance from the goal - get a freekick.

Edit: Given DP's post, I can now add - See below:
[Post edited 18 Jul 2022 14:50]
The rules of football on 14:10 - Jul 18 with 1297 viewsDannyPaddox

Who ate all the Ï€’s?
[Post edited 18 Jul 2022 14:24]
The rules of football on 14:50 - Jul 18 with 1252 viewsHayesender

The rules of football on 19:38 - Jul 16 by Boston

The size of the goals was defined at the very beginning of the sports rules being drawn up by the FA. Simply, they decided what was a reasonable size for a/ players to score and b/ keepers to have a reasonable chance to save.

I wonder what the average height of a player was back then compared to now?

Poll: Shamima Beghum

The rules of football on 15:00 - Jul 18 with 1237 viewsBoston

The rules of football on 14:50 - Jul 18 by Hayesender

I wonder what the average height of a player was back then compared to now?

Ha, excellent observation. The average height of a British male when the rules were formulated was 5' 5". Taking that into account, todays goal posts should be the corner flags.

The rules of football on 15:11 - Jul 18 with 1222 viewsPinnerPaul

The rules of football on 15:00 - Jul 18 by Boston

Ha, excellent observation. The average height of a British male when the rules were formulated was 5' 5". Taking that into account, todays goal posts should be the corner flags.

About 4 inches in old money, not sure that alone justifies changing the pitches, other factors like speed, fitness, equipment might though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024