Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd 14:55 - Feb 4 with 2853 viewsloftboy

Ridiculous at this stage of the season. What the point anymore, it’s an unbalanced biased league.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 14:57 - Feb 4 with 2842 viewsaston_hoop

Middlesbrough in third are closer to the relegation zone than they are to Burnley

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 18:37 - Feb 4 with 2586 viewsPaddyhoops

Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 14:57 - Feb 4 by aston_hoop

Middlesbrough in third are closer to the relegation zone than they are to Burnley

Good luck to them . Well run club . Always have been . Some bloke called Lee Hoos was thier CEO at one stage
Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 18:59 - Feb 4 with 2546 viewsQPR_John

Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 18:37 - Feb 4 by Paddyhoops

Good luck to them . Well run club . Always have been . Some bloke called Lee Hoos was thier CEO at one stage

A well run clubs with pots of money compared with most in the Championship.
Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 19:55 - Feb 4 with 2451 viewsThe_Beast1976

Not only has the Premiershit ruined top flight football, it's now destroying the division below as well
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 20:27]
Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 20:04 - Feb 4 with 2424 viewsWilkinswatercarrier

30 years years ago Burnley were Div 4. QPR were just Division 1, what's the problem?
If we had been better run we would be higher, not going to begrudge others that.
Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 21:02 - Feb 4 with 2338 viewsLoyalitat

Don't see what the problem is, I'm bloody envious of them.. They're a very well run club with a similar sized ground to us, yet the big difference being that they never lost sight of what they are as a club when they were in the premier league and maintained a sustainable wage structure, bought players with potential from the championship and below and improved them, whilst all the while being debt-free, pre-takeover.

From around this time last season they have sold many of the players they developed into being of premier league standard, and must have received around 80 million in fees for the likes of Woods, McNeil, Collins, Tarkowski, Mee, Pope and Cornet. They also got good service in the premier league from the likes of Westwood, Lowton and Gudmundsson. The type of players that would have been dismissed as not being good enough for the premier league by our club.

They've since bought well and appear to be building a squad which could stay up next season in the Premier League, with sensible additions in the summer alongside the return of Weghorst, currently on loan at Man Utd. His sizeable loan fee can be added to the players' sales. What's not to like.
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 22:40]
Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 10:23 - Feb 5 with 2075 viewsSuffolk

Correct me if I'm wrong but were they not tipped for relegation the season they got promoted to the premier league? If memory serves me right they stuck by Dyche and his principles and have reaped the benefits since.
Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 17:01 - Feb 5 with 1899 viewsstanistheman

Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 19:55 - Feb 4 by The_Beast1976

Not only has the Premiershit ruined top flight football, it's now destroying the division below as well
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 20:27]

We had parachute payments too. The difference is they are a better run club that didn’t pay ridiculous wages or appoint a schoolboy coach to manage the club after relegation.
Login to get fewer ads

Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 09:30 - Feb 6 with 1685 viewsTheChef

Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 10:23 - Feb 5 by Suffolk

Correct me if I'm wrong but were they not tipped for relegation the season they got promoted to the premier league? If memory serves me right they stuck by Dyche and his principles and have reaped the benefits since.

Sticking by managers? Sounds crazy.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 10:06 - Feb 6 with 1597 viewsQPR_John

Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 17:01 - Feb 5 by stanistheman

We had parachute payments too. The difference is they are a better run club that didn’t pay ridiculous wages or appoint a schoolboy coach to manage the club after relegation.

But that is not the point. We had the chance and blew it that's accepted. However it should not be the case that historic mistakes define the future of a club. Few teams get promoted, only three per season but of those it seems more and more it is those teams with parachute payments. If not the case now it looks like its heading to the situation that the Premier League consists of those 20 teams actually in the division and those recently relegated with parachute payments. In reality a kind of closed shop.
Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 10:57 - Feb 6 with 1534 viewsloftus77

Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 17:01 - Feb 5 by stanistheman

That's true - but I would say that parachute payments, following various TV deals, have grown massively even in the relatively short time since 2015.

Throw in the financial effects of the Covid pandemic and, IMHO, the significant advantages of PPs in 2015 have become absurd, ludicrous, advantages now.
Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 13:40 - Feb 6 with 1415 viewsstanistheman

Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 10:06 - Feb 6 by QPR_John

But that is not the point. We had the chance and blew it that's accepted. However it should not be the case that historic mistakes define the future of a club. Few teams get promoted, only three per season but of those it seems more and more it is those teams with parachute payments. If not the case now it looks like its heading to the situation that the Premier League consists of those 20 teams actually in the division and those recently relegated with parachute payments. In reality a kind of closed shop.

I won’t argue the issue about the wages we owed or the parachute payments , however appointing Ramsey to take what was a very decent squad straight back was a huge error that should never have occurred imo.

Had we appointed a more experienced manager I thinks we’d have made more of a promotion push.

We had players like Austin, Green, Fer, Phillips, Onouha and signed Chery. We should have added better quality than Mackie, Jay Emmanaul Thomas, Gladwin & Luongo.

Had we accepted a bid of around £12m for Austin and signed Andre Gray who went to Burnley for around £9m and won promotion back, we could have paid for the new signings and paid the wages from the Parachute money.
Other relegated clubs (Newcastle for one) negotiated deferred pay deals with some players to get them through the Championship season after relegation.

QPR failed to do things properly to go straight back up so I find it strange that fans now complain about parachute payments giving clubs a huge advantage. Yes, the structure and amounts have changed since 2015, but I still think that fans want to dismiss the failings of QPR and instead complain about clubs like Burnley , Fulham, Norwich, Bournemouth and Sheffield Utd etc who use the system better.
Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 14:23 - Feb 6 with 1332 viewsBurnleyhoop

Burnley 20 points ahead of 3rd on 10:06 - Feb 6 by QPR_John

Burnley we’re in debt to the tune of £60 million when they were relegated, which needed paying back immediately. They cleared out 22 players to cover that debt and reduce the no doubt significant wage bill.

The appointment of Kompany was followed by the recruitment of 16 players from the lower leagues of England and Belgium and a number of loans from the Premier league. Total cost around £20 million for an almost entirely new team and a complete change in playing style.

They have reached the January transfer window looking certainties for promotion and have sensibly invested more on players to get themselves over the line and in readiness for the Premier league.

Parachute payments are helpful, but unless you spend it wisely and have a capable and knowledgeable management structure in place, it is easy to piss that money up the wall, as we know only to well.

They have not put a foot wrong since relegation and make the recruitment strategy of many in this league, including ourselves, look amateurish at best.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024