Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One memory please 13:44 - May 26 with 8306 viewsPinnerPaul

OK now we've come down from cloud 9, albeit just to cloud 8 for most, I would like us all to post one memory of the day , it can be anytime from 9.00am to whenever, I know we all have many many great memories but try and pick just the one if you can

For me

Me and my son got back to our car in the green car park, just under Wembley way.

For 15 minutes we watched wave after wave after wave of fans ALL singing Ohh Bobby Zamora all under the badge and "You are Premier League" on the big screen above - wonderful, wonderful, wonderful day

Over to you......

One memory please on 18:44 - May 26 with 1779 viewsHollowayRanger

One memory please on 18:22 - May 26 by GetMeRangers

Love the careful placement of Joeys hand! Self-defence or influencing the game?

either way it was brave by him ,like most who were there trevor sinclairs goal is eitched in gold in my memory so anyone who even tries an overhead makes me think of that goal,so when the county player set himself up to try i really was bricking it

natually zammys goal will be remembered by all as our fav memory

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

One memory please on 19:05 - May 26 with 1749 viewsBAWHoops

During the celebrations my knees buckled with the sheer emotion of it all.
I ended up looking upwards at the Wembley arch and just shouting 'Oh my god! Oh my god!'

I'll remember how that arch looked for the rest of my life

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

One memory please on 20:08 - May 26 with 1693 viewsVancouverHoop

Apart from Joey Barton carrying around a chubby and exultant little Asian man around on his shoulders. One (actually two) connected images stand out. The first was a close up of Steve McLaren about fifteen minutes after the red card. He looked seriously concerned. I know he said afterwards that the goal came as the biggest shock of his career, but I suspect the first inklings of what might happen were beginning to dawn. The second, at about the same time, was of 'Arry. Walking up and down the touchline (wot dodgy knees?) geeing up players, grabbing subs as they jogged past him. He was loving it. Absolutelt in his element.
One memory please on 20:29 - May 26 with 1661 viewslondonscottish

It all took a long while to begin to properly sink in.

So I'm going to go with joining in on a chorus of "Ten men, we only need ten men"*at the end of Wembley way going up to the tube. We were in the walkway under that road bridge and it was echoing and resonating away like crazy.

At that point I just burst out laughing and part II of the day kicked in.

*( closely followed by "one shot, we only need one shot....")

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

One memory please on 20:30 - May 26 with 1659 viewssuttonranger

One memory please on 17:49 - May 26 by RickyDicky

Loads of fantastic memories, but one amusing one.

When BZ came on, a couple of lads in front of me were waving blow up Zimmer Frames !!!!!!

Hooraaaay.....that was us, what a gimmick it was, loads of piccys with people after the game

We took them as we knew it would spur BZ on & it was fate & irony he got the winner...you all owe us for the win

What a day......!!!!!
One memory please on 20:51 - May 26 with 1615 viewseghamranger

Struggling with one!

Seeing 40 thousand rangers fans at Wembley mainly , the Goal,going mental,my daughters face at the shock of us scoring and what it meant to me, then not knowing how long injury time there was....then the final whistle.
Great train journey home and then beers.
The following day I watched the highlights on the bbc and I had a tear when we scored (again), seeing clint and joey lift the trophy, then the clint interview when he was shocked and choked...it meant so much to him.
Seems at times everything is against us, I was there in 1986, there when lost 6-0 to fools, but beating Chelsea at theirs and Saturday makes it all worthwhile. I love my club and we are rightly back where we belong.
One memory please on 21:11 - May 26 with 1596 viewsactonman

So so many ! The fans , the goal , me and my family in tears of with emotion and when the final whistle went the realisation of the fact we are back in the premier league as up until that point it was all about winning a game at Wembley
One memory please on 21:24 - May 26 with 1580 viewsloftboy

Looking round and seeing my son in tears and being too choked to talk

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Login to get fewer ads

One memory please on 21:47 - May 26 with 1544 viewsNeil_SI

Mine's a little different and has a bit of a backstory.

I spent Wednesday night convincing somebody from this forum to go, who I'd never met or spoke with before. Then meeting him briefly before the match and keeping touch throughout the game, and smiling to myself and being exceptionally pleased for him when we scored.

This person didn't feel worthy enough to go, simply because he'd not been able to make any matches this season, and felt it wasn't right he got to go ahead of other Rangers fans. There was probably a little bit of superstition, routine and OCD mixed in there too, but I told him it wouldn't make him any less of a fan to go, and that he deserved to be there. His stance was honourable though and resonated with me, but Rangers needed him.

I asked him to sleep on it and the next day he agreed to come, and to be honest, I wasn't taking "no" for an answer. And what a way to meet for the first time. :)

I did think of him when we went down to ten-men, thinking it might turn out to be a bad experience for him overall, but I was able to smile and laugh at myself about it when we scored right at the end, I was so pleased for him. If he'd missed that, he'd have regretted it for the rest of his life, so it was a risk worth taking. I was sure it would be a once in a lifetime experience — and gosh — it really was.

From another perspective, me, Leonie and Sam were the original three who sat together after years of me having nobody to go with. Sam was unfortunate because the season we got promoted to the Premier League, he had to relocate to Stornoway and therefore has missed most games since. Actually maybe he was fortunate, considering what happened, but it was fantastic we got to sit together for this special occasion. I was super pleased for him, having been through all those years and to miss out on top flight football.

I was also sad to hear about the passing of "Smiffy" the night before, and spent a moments at various points throughout the match thinking about him. In hindsight, he was a bit of a legend on these forums and an integral part of the community. That one was for you.

And then there's me.

I missed the last play off final with Cardiff, and that Oldham game, because I was living and working in Germany at the time. I watched that final on my own at the back of a pub on a 14 inch old school TV — and it was there that I had a moment of epiphany.

I realised just how much Rangers meant to me. I should have been there no matter what, and deprived myself of an experience I was waiting for most of my life. I realised then that it was more about winning and losing for me — and no matter how bad others tell me it was because we lost, I've regretted it ever since and it's eaten away at me. It had an enormous impact on me as a person, I used to be quite shy and reserved, well I still am, but I made a lot of personal changes, to get out there and enjoy and experience everything I want to and should be in life. And to do what makes me happy.

That night convinced me to quit my job and come home. I then met Sam at the company I joined, and that broke the cycle of me not having to go anymore on my own.

I was determined to enjoy this one and the whole play off experience, and I'm thrilled to say I've laid the ghosts of Cardiff to rest.

I hope the chap at the start of my story was able to do the same. :)
One memory please on 22:00 - May 26 with 1519 viewsElHoop

It was a perfect day - that's my one memory. The red card and the goal together made it more special. The noise when we scored - it never seemed to stop. You couldn't hear what anyone else was singing it was just one messed up Bobby Zamora din that went on forever. They even put up our Dennis the Menace mask photo from Wycombe station. That day will be hard to beat, but I wouldn't mind a chance to try.
One memory please on 22:09 - May 26 with 1493 viewsFearless

A lot of us decided to do the "walk to wembley" but with the shocking rain in the morning many with younger kids couldn't make it.

So this left me, my 2 girls (19 & 23) the older ones boyfriend and my mate Joe.
We decided we'd do the walk anyway and if we got soaked, so be it.

To be fair, the initial gathering outside the club shop was a bit dispiriting, but off we set (next to the coffin carriers and quite near the front). Throughout the hours we kept bumping into people we knew for a quick chat, plus stopped for a few cans of cider for the journey.

The time absolutely flew by - the songs, camaraderie and feeling of belonging (verging on tribal) was amazing.

Throughout the walk, the size of the march grew and grew (I'd estimate about 4k but have seen others state 10k)

We arrived at the torch and then on to Moore spice to meet some mates. All wanted to know how the walk had gone. Everyone was amazed it had strayed dry throughout.

So anyway, to spend that time with my daughters and small group but be a part of something so much bigger was amazing - we'll always be able to say "remember when we walked to a Wembley..."

(Oh, And the goal was a bit special too)
One memory please on 22:11 - May 26 with 1487 viewsplymhoop

apart from the magic moment

one thing that stand out is half of wembley
singing bobby zamora's name for the remaining minutes and
long after exiting the ground

quite surreal !
as indeed was the match experience !

cooky from plymouth

One memory please on 22:24 - May 26 with 1460 viewsDrewster

Funny, many small things during the day, meeting an old mate for a few beers in marylebone station, my best mate at the allsop arms, watching the coach of Derby fans that had inadvertently stopped by The Torch and then a hasty 3 point turn whilst being pelted with beer bottles, the walk up wembley way, getting a text from my mate, he got chucked out 10 minutes before kick off for standing on his seat!!!!!!
The fairly non descript at times game, O'Neil funny I thought that would work in our favour, THE GOAL, the noise.
Aside from all that it was looking round to the guy sat behind my mate, we were in 519. Amist all the mayhem, we both stood still and looked at each other and just smiled, both near to tears. A quick high five and a nod to the enormity of it all, both kind of relieved and at the same time acknowledging we are QPR.
We never said a word,
didn't need to...
One memory please on 23:36 - May 26 with 1392 viewshamptonhillhoop

One memory please on 22:24 - May 26 by Drewster

Funny, many small things during the day, meeting an old mate for a few beers in marylebone station, my best mate at the allsop arms, watching the coach of Derby fans that had inadvertently stopped by The Torch and then a hasty 3 point turn whilst being pelted with beer bottles, the walk up wembley way, getting a text from my mate, he got chucked out 10 minutes before kick off for standing on his seat!!!!!!
The fairly non descript at times game, O'Neil funny I thought that would work in our favour, THE GOAL, the noise.
Aside from all that it was looking round to the guy sat behind my mate, we were in 519. Amist all the mayhem, we both stood still and looked at each other and just smiled, both near to tears. A quick high five and a nod to the enormity of it all, both kind of relieved and at the same time acknowledging we are QPR.
We never said a word,
didn't need to...

The whole day was fantastic. Before the game I bumped into the fella I've sat next to for 20 years in the loft lower and his family, and again in the ground. Was meeting uncles and cousins left right and centre at half time. But it has to be the goal. I was sitting in row 30 which was the last row and had a small fence behind it. When we scored I had the overwhelming urge to just climb. So I jumped on my chair and climbed the fence. Then remembered I was 43 and was there with my ten year old daughter. At the final whistle she burst into tears because she'd never seen me so happy! She told me the next day I'd hugged three strangers during that time just after the goal. I then turned round and said "who scored?"
At the final whistle me and my dad both agreed we were owed that after 82, 86 and Cardiff which we went to together. Nice to be there with three generations of the family.
One memory please on 00:48 - May 27 with 1357 viewsshrewranger

i was in block 502,after the goal,the lady in the seat in front of me turned round and said ,i'm sorry cant watch anymore , and spent the remaining 4 minutes watching me go through it.
One memory please on 01:14 - May 27 with 1302 viewsSydneyRs

For me it was a few things.

First, feeling it had all fallen apart after the red card. I texted one word to my brother in the stadium, "sh1t". Then we survived the next 5 then 10 mins and Derby started to run out of ideas. I still wondered how we could survive extra time being a man down.

On about 85 mins the cameras showed several shots of Derby fans. They all looked terrified and nervous, not at all showing the confidence of having an extra man with extra time looming. I don't know if you could sense it in the stadium but the belief seemed to be draining away from them. At that point I thought we just need to somehow get down their end and create one chance, and the nearer full time it happens the better.

Then the goal. I knew Zamora had hit it well but would it go in? It hit the net and I've never felt anything like it. I was on my knees in tears, the dog wandered wtf was going on. I spent the rest of the game in nervous tearful near delerium. That last corner and then finally, finally we had done it. What a feeling. We've won a Wembley final for the first time in my life.

Bobby F**king Zamora!

I'm still aboslutely buzzing about it.
One memory please on 01:17 - May 27 with 1299 viewsHadders

The most memorable moment was the goal, Jesus wept, the bloody goal. But other things will linger, like the funny chat I had with a slightly tipsy Derby fan on the way home, a guy in his 20s with a ram painted on his cheek. Me: "Bad luck, pal. No idea how you lost that." Derby fan: "Thanks mate, yeah, we was robbed...but that`s sport I guess. You seem like a decent bloke. It`s great to have a bit of mixing, innit, like at the rugby- I like that. Obviously you`re a c*** though". Me: Yeah, totally. I`m definitely a c***. Anyway, Good luck next year, you w*****" "You too mate".
One memory please on 01:39 - May 27 with 1288 viewsRangersAreBack

The range of emotions I felt in those final few moments. 30 minutes of agony and frustration turned into relief at making it into Derby's half, hope when we won the throw in, fire and determination when Hoilett made that tackle, confusion when the ball somehow landed at Bobby's feet, disbelief as Bobby swung his left boot, agony again as time stood still, then an explosion of unbridled joy and ecstasy as the net bulged. Arms like an octopus, I hugged anyone within range. Priceless. You just can't buy that high.
[Post edited 27 May 2014 1:40]
One memory please on 02:27 - May 27 with 1274 viewsbarabajagal

Walking up to the ground just as the weather turned biblical. Pure drama
One memory please on 09:24 - May 27 with 1221 viewsPunteR

Lots of great memories.
The goal, the celebrations,me nearly falling backwards and landing on my head in the row in front but for some bloke catching me.
But if I had to pick one memory that stands out it would have to be walking out to my seat just before kick off and being blown away by the magnitude of it all, the stadium, the 40,000 QPR fans, the sea of blue and white flags.
One word sums it up for me...Epic

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

One memory please on 10:02 - May 27 with 1200 viewsQPunkR

For me it's a sound rather than an image. I swear that roar when the ball hit the back of the net will stay with me 'til the day I die. What a sound. Still get tears in my eyes after watching it back a few times online, but nothing matched the actual sound at the time, inside the stadium. I ended up 2 rows back from where I started, on my back on the floor, mate next to me 3 rows forward and another mate somewhere down the steps in the utter pandemonium celebrations. Everyone went absolutely mental.
Been counting the bruises since, each one of them a glorious purple/yellow reminder of that moment, that goal. Didn't even realise Bobby Zee had run to celebrate straight down in front of us!

QPR - "shit but local"

One memory please on 10:12 - May 27 with 1190 viewsdaveB

so many memories but the goal stands out. It was similar to Mackie against Man City in that as he hit it the ball seem to go in slow motion and my brain suddenly thought "This is going in". As it hit the net I have never and will never feel that elation again in my life. I was thrown three rows forward, hugged and kissed everybody within range and when i asked my mate Shaun how long to go we both realized the game had actually finished and we'd been celebrating for all of injury time.
One memory please on 10:13 - May 27 with 1189 viewsPhilmyRs

An ending we as Rangers fans don’t normally get, scoring and losing it for 60 seconds, then coming round and having no idea how long was left. Then the realisation that this was us, Queens Park Rangers, we don’t do happy endings. Expect a Martin 95th Minute leveller. Tension, nerves, whistles starting early, then seeing Barton celebrating and realising the whistle had gone and we were back in the Premier league.

The enormity of the game, Derby camped in our half, the prospect of holding on for penalties, only 10 men on the pitch, the fact you couldn’t see a chance coming, then Hoilett cut the ball back and Keogh teed up Bobby, the next 60 seconds will stay with everyone in the ground, watching at home, in pubs dotted around the world, or those upstairs in the sky, forever. You can’t buy that, you can’t replicate that, you’ll just always remember those 60 seconds.
One memory please on 10:54 - May 27 with 1165 viewsPeterHucker

In block 524, sitting on my right was my old pal Foggy, the 2 of us both very committed glass half empty merchants who spent much of the match moaning about how crap we were playing.
On my left was some old bloke I'd never met before who also did a fair amount of moaning but then as the game went on, he kept saying to us "one chance boys, we only need one chance". The longer it went on with Derby not scoring against our 10 men the more I started to believe him!

BZ's shot seemed to go in slow motion and amongst all the random hugging of total strangers in the pandemonium afterwards, the 3 of us were screaming to each other "ONE CHANCE! ONE CHANCE!"
One memory please on 11:26 - May 27 with 1135 viewsMrSheen

Because of cataracts, I am having the lenses in my eyes replaced. The first one was on Friday, the second will be tomorrow. As a result I had one good new eye and one hopelessly blurred bad eye. I could only watch the game by covering the bad one and towards the end I had almost stopped. Master Sheen, 15 years old and brought up on a diet of Geirges Santos, Marc Nygaard and Jose Bosingwa (and some good players too to be fair) kept telling me we were doing fine. I'm so pleased for him, the only Rangers fan in his year at school, his phone was pinging through the second half with jeering messages. It's just a shame he's on half term this week.

We got into our seats at 1.30, with about 3,000 in the bowl. We were right along the goal line and I told him it would have been the perfect view to have known whether Geoff Hurst's shot had actually crossed the line. Three hours and twenty minutes later I saw the ball bouncing around inside the goal and Bobby Zee running over to kick the flag in front of us.
[Post edited 27 May 2014 11:30]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024