Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rio - Not WC 22:50 - Jun 23 with 18297 viewsIrishR

Its the Mail but looks like it could be happening. If its a massive wage drop like it says then its not a bad signing i think but would like to hear the actual wage first. Thoughts?

This line doesnt scream hungry however :(

‘He told me the couple of years he had at Chelsea were some of the most enjoyable of his career because there wasn’t at that time the pressure of trying to win trophies.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2666339/EXCLUSIVE-Rio-Ferdinan
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Rio - Not WC on 11:10 - Jun 24 with 2471 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Rio - Not WC on 11:07 - Jun 24 by gobbles

I think it's a good signing. Great experience, right type, will help others develop, good in the dressing room. Wouldn't surprise me if in 12 months people are talking about him as a future manager.
The difference between Ferdinand and, say, Bosingwa, is that Bosingwa could clear off abroad if things ended badly, Ferdinand is playing for a team in his home city and seems to want a future in the sport.

Isn't this the same lad that was undermining his manager last season with tweets?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Rio - Not WC on 11:11 - Jun 24 with 2467 viewsMaggsinho

Rio - Not WC on 11:04 - Jun 24 by Gloucs_R

I am not defending the signing, but will reserve judgement.

I'd like us to buy the lad at Sheff Utd. Cant remember his name.

Harry Maguire.
Rio - Not WC on 11:13 - Jun 24 with 2450 viewssevenhoop

Rio - Not WC on 11:06 - Jun 24 by ingeminate

Great signing IMO - if he stays fit we don't go down.

absolute bollocks signing. As Connell said, have we not learned our lesson?!! This is not just about the quality of the player or whether he stays fit, but it's the message it sends to the other players, as Northern has said in his season summaries. Better than Clint Hill at centre half? no.
Rio - Not WC on 11:15 - Jun 24 with 2418 viewsDiscodroid

" I guess in four or five years, the new generation's music will be .. electronics, tapes. I can kind of envision .. maybe one person .. with a lot of machines, tapes, and electronics setups, singin or speaking .. and using machines " James Douglas Morrison | 1969

Rio - Not WC on 11:16 - Jun 24 with 2445 viewsTrom

The article does say that the deal is less than 1/3 of his Man Utd wages. 1/3 of £200,000 is approx £65K - so we are saying less than that.

This does sound like some lessons have been learned to me. Last time we paid matched their previous wage. I'm not against the odd older player joining as long as the wages are under control and it's balanced by some younger signings. I thought Harry did well last off season bringing in a good mix. We needed another striker but even he acknowledged that.
Rio - Not WC on 11:17 - Jun 24 with 2419 viewsqprmick

Rio - Not WC on 09:56 - Jun 24 by PinnerPaul

Luckily QPR not in the World Cup! ???????

But a lot of players at the WC will play in our league next season, and even Pirlo was quick with thought.

Qprmick

Rio - Not WC on 11:17 - Jun 24 with 2418 viewsGloucs_R

Rio - Not WC on 11:11 - Jun 24 by Maggsinho

Harry Maguire.

Thats him

Poll: Are we staying up?

Rio - Not WC on 11:17 - Jun 24 with 2415 viewsTHEBUSH

Rio - Not WC on 11:00 - Jun 24 by Antti_Heinola

McLintock was superb. But that was in the 70s and the game is quite different now isn't it? A lot faster - very rare for a player to be that old and still performing at the levels he managed. Obviously there are exceptions. My real concern is that it's very, very different playing for a big club with decent players all around you (even if man u were mid table last season!) compared to a relegation battle with players of a much lower quality. We've seen that time and again. Brown and O'Shea don't look half the players at Sunderland, Champ League winner Bosingwa looked dreadful, Butt's career faded away reasonably quickly etc etc. Let's hope it works - it's not the player, it's the short term thinking that i don't like, but i suspect Harry just wants to get through this season without relegation then he's off, so his motivation isn't to look three years down the line sadly.

I suppose we were fortunate to get promoted under Redknapps policy of recruiting experienced players he knows, but we did !!

It looks like, although nothing is official yet, that he's going to sign experienced players he knows, this time around, as well.

If he can keep us up and then leaves next year, that's fine by me, he's done his job.

The club needs a proper scouting system to bring in new younger players, Redknapp is first team manager, that's it.
Login to get fewer ads

Rio - Not WC on 11:17 - Jun 24 with 2412 viewsGloucs_R

Rio - Not WC on 11:13 - Jun 24 by sevenhoop

absolute bollocks signing. As Connell said, have we not learned our lesson?!! This is not just about the quality of the player or whether he stays fit, but it's the message it sends to the other players, as Northern has said in his season summaries. Better than Clint Hill at centre half? no.

Better than Clint Hill at centre half? no.

LOL. Are you serious?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Rio - Not WC on 11:27 - Jun 24 with 2362 viewsPinnerPaul

It has to be Harry's call , Harry's responsibility.

The alternative, is back to the bad old Briatore method.

As Tony said at fans forum, "I would like young players, but if I start making signings then I may as well be the manager"
Rio - Not WC on 11:34 - Jun 24 with 2340 viewshoof_hearted

Rio - Not WC on 11:27 - Jun 24 by PinnerPaul

As Tony said at fans forum, "I would like young players, but if I start making signings then I may as well be the manager"

Common sense has no place on here, Paul. If he's over 30 or has ever played at the top level then he has to be an overpaid prima donna coming here for one last payday. There are no alternative scenarios such as the man clearly being keen and brave enough to come and salvage the family name again despite obviously having the better money options of the MSL or Qatar or wherever,
Rio - Not WC on 11:38 - Jun 24 with 2325 viewstoboboly

Rio - Not WC on 11:34 - Jun 24 by hoof_hearted

Common sense has no place on here, Paul. If he's over 30 or has ever played at the top level then he has to be an overpaid prima donna coming here for one last payday. There are no alternative scenarios such as the man clearly being keen and brave enough to come and salvage the family name again despite obviously having the better money options of the MSL or Qatar or wherever,

Thats not quite fair. He is 35, injury prone and judging by last season is on his last legs. We are a team that will struggle next year (no matter what Morgantwin says) and already have enough older CB's with no pace.

This isn't a blanket ban on people over 30 or people coming from bigger clubs but this smacks of Bosingwa and Park. He will take up a place in the 25 man squad and even if it is 20k a week that is a lot of money for someone who potentially may only be a bit part player.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Rio - Not WC on 12:00 - Jun 24 with 2263 viewssimmo

Rio - Not WC on 11:27 - Jun 24 by PinnerPaul

If you don't reign in Harry he will be tryign tobring fckin Gary Neville out of retirement or asking Danny Murphy to come and 'do a job'.

I think the signings should be the choice of the manager, but when your manager would sign everybody he's ever heard of since 1988, you have to start telling him no.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Rio - Not WC on 12:08 - Jun 24 with 2238 viewshoof_hearted

Rio - Not WC on 11:38 - Jun 24 by toboboly

Thats not quite fair. He is 35, injury prone and judging by last season is on his last legs. We are a team that will struggle next year (no matter what Morgantwin says) and already have enough older CB's with no pace.

This isn't a blanket ban on people over 30 or people coming from bigger clubs but this smacks of Bosingwa and Park. He will take up a place in the 25 man squad and even if it is 20k a week that is a lot of money for someone who potentially may only be a bit part player.

He'll play through the pain for Harry like Nelsen did. I hope.

(there is the possibility that he'll be a show pony and if things get tough spend the season in the treatment room but I'm going for the optimistic choice for one - trying to justify the season ticket bill)
Rio - Not WC on 12:10 - Jun 24 with 2235 viewsbaz_qpr

Rio - Not WC on 11:08 - Jun 24 by Jamie

"So what do we do now? Someone like Caulker or Williams will only come here for the money, we are already in debt, do we need to take more on? "

Rio isn't going to be coming here for his love of TFs FIFA based banter....

He's not coming here for the money either, he's coming here because he wants to prolong his career for at least one more season and given its a full circle, the Ferdinand association with the club alongside HR I can see why he has chosen us over Villa. Interestingly a club that has bet the house on young upcoming players but seems to have concluded that you need a balance of experience as well
Rio - Not WC on 12:19 - Jun 24 with 2217 viewssevenhoop

Rio - Not WC on 11:17 - Jun 24 by Gloucs_R

Better than Clint Hill at centre half? no.

LOL. Are you serious?

yes I am, Clint is a very good centre-half, puts his heart and sole into it. this bloke may or may not, is likely to be injured. Above all, what does it say about loyalty to good people. I'd rather get some others in who we've never heard of and go down, not signing billy big bollocks' all over again.

it would be an awful signing, bollocks
Rio - Not WC on 12:55 - Jun 24 with 2180 viewsHunterhoop

Rio - Not WC on 11:07 - Jun 24 by simmo

Ultimately it's a chance to sell more '5' caps and magazine subscriptions. He's been more concerned with transitioning to his post football career than what he does on the pitch week in week out. As has been said a million times we need players who

a) have a point to prove
b) see QPR as a step up and a bridge to bigger and better things

Ferdinand COULD perhaps fall into the former, except he's won everything, captained his country and was once considered one of the best CB's in the world. What exactly is he going to prove by coming to QPR for a year? Even if he does play well?

For those reasons I don't want to sign him, I don't give a shit if he is free or taking a wage drop, it still puts him in line with our highest earners. And all those talking about Nelsen - yeah, he played wel for us. But a lot was to do with the fact we had nobody else actually trying and we also had to play with a line so deep he got to take his kids for free with his lower loft seat.

100% YES, Simmo.

Rio MAY be fine. He MAY still have the legs for the Prem. He MAY improve our organisation at the back. He MAY do a Ryan Nelson.

But he may also be a Bosingwa, Anton Ferdinand, an SWP, etc, etc. His legs may have gone. He MAY be shot. If Rio still had it, why wasn't someone else in the Prem, better than us, in for him? He's 35 for Christ's sake.

Why has he come here? Blob, to say it's to prolong his career, but it's not for the money, is naive. If it wasn't for the money, play for free. Play for £5k per week. Less than 1/3 of his Utd salary is still way over £30k per week. We could have signed any two players in the Championship for that money. Who we could possibly have then resold for a profit.

No, he's come here because we were the best option available for Rio Ferdinand (not QPR). We're probably willing to pay him more than anyone else will and probably said we're willing to play him more than anyone else.

Everything being said about Rio, could (and pretty much was) said about Cesar, Park, SWP, AJ, Zamora, Anton, etc....and look how they worked out for us in the Prem.

How is this "learning our lessons"??? It's a one year fix deal. As Antii, has said, we'll need to replace him in one year. When we might be back in the Championship in a weaker financial position and a far less attractive proposition to up and coming players.

We have been given a second chance this season. We completely screwed up our last visit to the top tier and miraculously we have a second chance. We've began this by continuing the exact blueprint that failed us last time. *Sigh*

disclaimer: this doesn't mean I don't want him to succeed, or won't support him. Of course, I will. I hope he's ace. I just think it's completely the wrong type of signing for us at this time.
Rio - Not WC on 12:59 - Jun 24 with 2172 viewsdaveB

any signing is a gamble. No guarntee a 21 year old promising centre half will be any good either although I appreciate that's what most of us would like to see. Personally I wouldn't sign him if I was manager but I think on a one year deal it's not the worst signing we could make.
Rio - Not WC on 13:17 - Jun 24 with 2133 viewsBklynRanger

imo, if it's just Ferdinand it's a mistake. If it's Ferdinand for a year on vaguely sensible wages and that encourages Caulker to come too then, on balance, fair enough.

But as a stand alone (with a regular lie down on the treatment table) signing its not what we should be doing.
Rio - Not WC on 13:29 - Jun 24 with 2116 viewsQPunkR

I'm sure this will have been said earlier in teh thread but

Uncle Tone's obviously a hideously slow learner

QPR - "shit but local"

Rio - Not WC on 13:32 - Jun 24 with 2106 viewstoboboly

Rio - Not WC on 12:08 - Jun 24 by hoof_hearted

(there is the possibility that he'll be a show pony and if things get tough spend the season in the treatment room but I'm going for the optimistic choice for one - trying to justify the season ticket bill)

Well signings like him are the reason your ST bill is so bloody high!

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Rio - Not WC on 13:41 - Jun 24 with 2074 viewsdsr_burnley

Rio - Not WC on 12:08 - Jun 24 by hoof_hearted

If he's old, slow, and playing through pain, is he really worth £3m per year?
Rio - Not WC on 13:50 - Jun 24 with 2048 viewslave16

Rio - Not WC on 13:41 - Jun 24 by dsr_burnley

If he's old, slow, and playing through pain, is he really worth £3m per year?

Did we sign him as a pundit?

Poll: Are we gonna make the play offs?

Rio - Not WC on 13:50 - Jun 24 with 2048 viewshoof_hearted

You have to trust them not to be giving him a 3 year deal with no relegation or long term injury clauses - THAT would be repeating the same old mistakes. A one year deal is a gamble that could be the difference between a relegation struggle and mid-table place. It's a very fine line and it's not our money so if Harry thinks he'll add to the team spirit then that's fine by me. Steve Black will turn him into a youth hungry for an England cap by September.
Rio - Not WC on 13:51 - Jun 24 with 2044 viewscarrotcrunch_R

Put it this way man United where a lot stronger defensively with him in the the side than without him in the side . A top class signing if he isn't injured.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024