Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought 08:13 - Oct 10 with 6758 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First single bought with your own money. No lies, excuses and apologoes are welcome, but no lies!

My first single was probably 'How much is that doggie on the window?' but this is the first one I saved up for with my pocket money. Three of us went into Golden Discs in Cork. We bought U2 - 3, The Specials' Gangsters and this one, which was mine. I loved all three and ended up swapping with them for the other two as well.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 12:24 - Oct 10 with 1166 viewsKonk

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:55 - Oct 10 by londonscottish

I was on a school trip to Holland in 1979 when Into The Valley was released. On the ferry on the way across we badgered and badgered the Smashie and Nicey-type DJ to play it. Cue 60 fifteen year old kids from Dunfermline going utterly mental, pogoing about the place, chicken dancing and moshing.

On the return trip we were solemnly informed that the record was banned as "P&O had a policy of not playing punk". Ah those were the days.

Marvellous stuff. I was busy buying Nolans records at the time, but love that tune now. I had a massive soft spot for Big Country when I was a kid — and I absolutely loved the film “Restless Natives” when I was younger — Big Country soundtrack. Went to East End Park a few years ago to watch Hibs and was very happy to be in Stuart Adamson’s home town and somewhere he spent his Saturday afternoons (RIP).

— Some top extra-ing from the Edinburgh locals in this clip. Haven’t seen it in years and it might be pure mince, but from memory it’s up there with Gregory’s Girl for me.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 12:51 - Oct 10 with 1142 viewsElHoop

This is definitely my first single - no way woul I lie about this!

The video is a fair bit cooler than the song, it must be said.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 12:54 - Oct 10 with 1138 viewsTHEBUSH

Your a bad man Brian, mine was, Cindy's Birthday by Shane Fenton

In my defence, I did graduate to The Who, a few years later.
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 13:03 - Oct 10 with 1125 viewsizlingtonhoop

Hmmm

Some of these are a bit too 'correct'.

I'm in the Konk gang.

Edit: Although more acceptably our dad always used to buy the Slade singles for 'us'.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 13:08]
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 13:12 - Oct 10 with 1111 viewsR_from_afar

I had already bought my first LP, "Reel to reel cacophony" by Simple Minds, when I snapped up this gem in Woolworths (where else):

Good to see some Soundgarden in this thread! Respect!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 13:12 - Oct 10 with 1110 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:55 - Oct 10 by londonscottish

I was on a school trip to Holland in 1979 when Into The Valley was released. On the ferry on the way across we badgered and badgered the Smashie and Nicey-type DJ to play it. Cue 60 fifteen year old kids from Dunfermline going utterly mental, pogoing about the place, chicken dancing and moshing.

On the return trip we were solemnly informed that the record was banned as "P&O had a policy of not playing punk". Ah those were the days.

Mate, I remember it so clearly. It was a toss up between this and The Sound of the Suburbs. I only had enough money for one of them.
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 13:23 - Oct 10 with 1102 viewsStanisgod

"Something in the air ", Thunderclap Newman. Still got it, along with 1,000 others.

There was a programme on BBC 4 the other night called "Joy of the single ". It's been on before but well worth a look for vynil junkies, just to see Norman Cooks record collection !
As he said " what about the B sides ". Some good old footage on there, and just shows how massive the 7" single used to be, sales wise.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 13:26]

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 13:24 - Oct 10 with 1101 viewsMonahoop

I remember getting my first single in Woolworths in Horsham. Before I left the house, I remember my mum telling me 'to buy a nice record with that pocket money'. I said I would. She probably thought I was going to buy a Val Doonican record or such like. I returned with ' We're Going to Step on You Again' by John Congo. It was on the Fly label. My mum [and my old man ] tried hard to hide their displeasure when I put it on the old Garrard turntable a few times. I still love that record, but my brother pinched it to lend to a friend of his. You know the story. You never see the light of day of it again.
Dr and The Medics recorded a version of this song many years later. I thought they crucified it.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Login to get fewer ads

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 13:48 - Oct 10 with 1081 viewswestberksr

horrible feeling it was this and i was 6 or 7. used to be a record shop at the top of Lansbury Drive on the Uxbridge Road. hardly cutting edge but got me started.

may even have been a Bay City Rollers song; whatever it was was i'm not proud of it!
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 14:05 - Oct 10 with 1060 viewsElHoop

I think that the second single that I bought was I'd like To Teach The World To sing by the New Seekers, which later became Shakermaker by Oasis!
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 14:21 - Oct 10 with 1046 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 14:05 - Oct 10 by ElHoop

I think that the second single that I bought was I'd like To Teach The World To sing by the New Seekers, which later became Shakermaker by Oasis!

I love the doubters on this thread! There may well be a reason for this for all of us.

For the avoidance of doubt, Turning Japanese was the first record I bought with my own money, not the first song I liked. Much different story! Before that I liked whatever was on my Dad's eight-track in the car (eight-track!) including The New Seekers, Abba, Elvis (still like Elvis), Charley Pride and lots more tosh.

But I had no money then and music was, well, just something you listened to.

Later on, we all came to realise that music was far more than that!

And buying your first single was a big deal. You got asked at school if you'd bought one yet. If you hadn't - when? If you had - what was it? And people judged, and they fuggin' remembered!

So the trip to Cork to buy our first singles was a big shaggin' deal. They eyes of (my little) world were (probably not) watching. I may well have liked listening to Darts' 'Girl From New York City', but I wasn't coming home with that!

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 14:25 - Oct 10 with 1042 viewsTheBlob

So you bought a single about masturbating?Good catholic boy so you were.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 14:27 - Oct 10 with 1041 viewsMytch_QPR

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 12:09 - Oct 10 by ithastogetbetter

Peter Gabriel - Games without Frontiers. 1979/1980 in Golden Discs in Dun Laoghaire. I had already bought my first LP before that - Dark Side of the Moon. Looking back, that all a bit "way out" for a pre-pubescent!

BTW - fav cheese is a nice bit of Comte
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 12:18]

Welcome - and an excellent choice of music... and cheese.
Been to see PG a few times in concert - something of a hero to me (apart from our heroes in Hoops, of course!)

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 14:42 - Oct 10 with 1029 viewsTripper

Think the very first was by the Smurfs, but closely followed by a bit of Boney M.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 15:09 - Oct 10 with 1017 viewsade_qpr

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 14:25 - Oct 10 by TheBlob

So you bought a single about masturbating?Good catholic boy so you were.

Beat me to it Blobby

Sorry Brian if you know the meaning to that song, it always gave me a laugh when I heard it on the radio.

My first two were

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 15:35 - Oct 10 with 1004 viewsspothoop

Ah the 7 inch single. Can't really remember my first but it was probably something silly.
I do remember loads of 'specials' on coloured vinyl, one that I had was Babylon's Burning by the Ruts on vomit coloured vinyl!
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 16:29 - Oct 10 with 978 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 15:09 - Oct 10 by ade_qpr

Beat me to it Blobby

Sorry Brian if you know the meaning to that song, it always gave me a laugh when I heard it on the radio.

My first two were

No, I hadn't a clue at the time! But then, I had no idea what half the words in Frankie's Relax were about either, and that was a few years later!

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 16:46 - Oct 10 with 971 viewsYorkRanger

I can answer with honesty. Neither record in any way resembles my music Tastes as a teenager or in later years.

Two records:

The Girl of my best friend - Elvis Presley
Under The Moon of Love - Showaddywaddy
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 16:58 - Oct 10 with 957 viewsBklynRanger

I didn't buy any singles till I was 16. If I liked something I'd just tape it off the radio. So this was the first of only a few. The thing is I really liked the lyric "She drives me crazy, like warm wet air" - even though I had it wrong then and for years later. :)

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 17:18 - Oct 10 with 943 viewsade_qpr

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 16:29 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

No, I hadn't a clue at the time! But then, I had no idea what half the words in Frankie's Relax were about either, and that was a few years later!

Yes another interesting song but not my cup of tea.

Would rather go with

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 17:28 - Oct 10 with 931 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 17:18 - Oct 10 by ade_qpr

Yes another interesting song but not my cup of tea.

Would rather go with

Or Pictures of Lilly?

Man, that's a whole separate thread!

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 17:28 - Oct 10 with 931 viewsPommyhoop

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 14:42 - Oct 10 by Tripper

Think the very first was by the Smurfs, but closely followed by a bit of Boney M.

Memories of the estate youth club and us hilariously linking arms round my mates sister.
Were we being racist? I dont think so.Would it be racist today ? Probably not in the youth club but I recon someone would try to make an issue over it.
BTW if my mate thought it was racist he wouldve and could've beat the shit out of us..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 17:48 - Oct 10 with 922 viewsade_qpr

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 17:28 - Oct 10 by BrianMcCarthy

Or Pictures of Lilly?

Man, that's a whole separate thread!

Yes won't go down that path might start posting Abba songs just for the blonde

or...........

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 17:57 - Oct 10 with 919 viewsade_qpr

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 17:48 - Oct 10 by ade_qpr

Yes won't go down that path might start posting Abba songs just for the blonde

or...........

No bugger it

She fits the bill perfectly and The Kick Inside was one of the first cassettes I brought

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 18:24 - Oct 10 with 903 viewsflynnbo

"If Paradise is half as nice" by Amen Corner. First album was "Sometime in New York City" by John and Yoko. Bought either in Balham or Jonjax in Battersea.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024