Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought 08:13 - Oct 10 with 6852 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First single bought with your own money. No lies, excuses and apologoes are welcome, but no lies!

My first single was probably 'How much is that doggie on the window?' but this is the first one I saved up for with my pocket money. Three of us went into Golden Discs in Cork. We bought U2 - 3, The Specials' Gangsters and this one, which was mine. I loved all three and ended up swapping with them for the other two as well.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:36 - Oct 10 with 1195 viewsLblock

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:20 - Oct 10 by Toast_R

I don't for a minute believe a lot of these were peoples first singles...come on really?

Here's mine

Their record label put them up in a house off of Northfields Avenue.

A lovely bunch of lads - errrrrmmmmm

I recall they had an eye on my Chopper bike one day when they thought I was on my own. That changed.

They did used to get stick though.. always shouts of "Dennis... come back wid me apple pie" when we saw them around

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:37 - Oct 10 with 1195 viewsDaBurgh

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:45 - Oct 10 with 1188 viewsqprwpg

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:36 - Oct 10 by Metallica_Hoop

Old GNR will always be found on my PC/MP3.

Mr Brownstone came on the radio this morning while fitting a Dyson blade. I was playing air guitar with flex

This was the first CD I bought but not Vinyl

Haven't heard the black crowes for a while - that is a good one! Loved that album.

haven't heard this in a while either

Twitter: @qprwpg

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:47 - Oct 10 with 1184 viewsMytch_QPR

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:32 - Oct 10 by Konk

Bought with vouchers from WH Smiths at Brent Cross. In my defence, I was six at the time and my older brother wasn’t much help on the guidance front.

I was going to add that to my post - the fact that you used to go to WH Smith to browse the singles.
I'm still mildly bitter that some of the best albums I bought were on sodding cassettes, meaning I had to buy them all again on CD many years later. I remember the first 'album' I bought was Regatta De Blanc - on cassette.

I think you're a bit younger than me, Konk, but for many of us Sunday night was spent sat in front of the 'music centre' with a blank cassette, making a compilation from the Top 40. Obviously they don't do the countdown any more, due to the fact that all of the DJs (barring Blackburn) are in the clink.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:52 - Oct 10 with 1169 viewsA40Bosh

I am pleased that so many people have such vivid memories of buying their fist single. I have been wracking my brain all morning to try and come up with the answer, but as there was always so much music in our house, it's difficult to pin point when I started going out shopping for it myself.

I am beginning to think that like my own girls were at 10 and 11, it was more likely to have been a compilation album which would have pre-dated the Now That's What I Call Music series. I have a vivid recollection of "owning" the 1979 compilation Hot Tracks
http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1043700

but single?

Maybe one of the early Police singles like Walking on the Moon.

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:01 - Oct 10 with 1155 viewsrongould

First record I ever purchased was an absolute revelation.
There was a popular novelty record out in the early 1950's, I wanted it but couldn't remember who it was by. I went to HMV in Oxford Street and got this on the basis the I had heard of Louis Armstrong.
This is just exquisite playing,by one of the most important musicians ever born.
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:05 - Oct 10 with 1153 viewsKonk

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:47 - Oct 10 by Mytch_QPR

I was going to add that to my post - the fact that you used to go to WH Smith to browse the singles.
I'm still mildly bitter that some of the best albums I bought were on sodding cassettes, meaning I had to buy them all again on CD many years later. I remember the first 'album' I bought was Regatta De Blanc - on cassette.

I think you're a bit younger than me, Konk, but for many of us Sunday night was spent sat in front of the 'music centre' with a blank cassette, making a compilation from the Top 40. Obviously they don't do the countdown any more, due to the fact that all of the DJs (barring Blackburn) are in the clink.

WH Smiths or Woolworths for us usually. I remember one of my brothers singing Matchbox's "Don't cry on my shoulder" to the bloke in our local record shop as he didn't know the name of the band or the song - the man patiently listened to the whole rendition and then plucked the single off the shelf. You don't get that with Amazon.

I can also remember the day my Dad brought a tape recorder home. We were in the front room, he popped it down on the floor, hit the record button, said “say something” and my older brother said “cow” and we all cracked-up. Kwazy days.

Yep, we used to tape the charts by putting the tape recorder next to the radio (we didn’t have a hi-fi) and there would usually be a few seconds of me and my brothers bickering about whether a song was worth recording or not, and then bursts of my mum coming in the front room giving us a bollo cking for something we’d done or should’ve done. Good times. I’d love to have those tapes now. Also, tape recorder in front of the telly for Top of the pops. Now I can listen to music through my phone, which I can wander around the streets with — who saw that one coming? I fu cking didn’t.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 11:08]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:07 - Oct 10 with 1145 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:45 - Oct 10 by qprwpg

Haven't heard the black crowes for a while - that is a good one! Loved that album.

haven't heard this in a while either

Nice. The one before was one of my first on CD too.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Login to get fewer ads

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:14 - Oct 10 with 1133 viewsKonk

Our First ever CD at home was Bobby Brown “My prerogative” purely because after buying a new stereo with a CD player, my older brother only had a quid left and that was the pick of the bunch in our local record shop’s bargain bin. We had to listen to that for a week until he got paid from his job on the market and bought a couple of Bruce Springsteen albums - historically he’d always gone into town and nicked tapes from HMV and Virgin, but he got caught so went straight by the time he had a CD player…which left us with Bobby Brown.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:19 - Oct 10 with 1121 viewsBrixtonR

My Mum had bought me a few I'd asked for before, but this was the first one I bought myself from Hermyln records in Eltham. My Mum wasn't too impressed with the B side lol

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:21 - Oct 10 with 1118 viewsMytch_QPR

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:05 - Oct 10 by Konk

WH Smiths or Woolworths for us usually. I remember one of my brothers singing Matchbox's "Don't cry on my shoulder" to the bloke in our local record shop as he didn't know the name of the band or the song - the man patiently listened to the whole rendition and then plucked the single off the shelf. You don't get that with Amazon.

I can also remember the day my Dad brought a tape recorder home. We were in the front room, he popped it down on the floor, hit the record button, said “say something” and my older brother said “cow” and we all cracked-up. Kwazy days.

Yep, we used to tape the charts by putting the tape recorder next to the radio (we didn’t have a hi-fi) and there would usually be a few seconds of me and my brothers bickering about whether a song was worth recording or not, and then bursts of my mum coming in the front room giving us a bollo cking for something we’d done or should’ve done. Good times. I’d love to have those tapes now. Also, tape recorder in front of the telly for Top of the pops. Now I can listen to music through my phone, which I can wander around the streets with — who saw that one coming? I fu cking didn’t.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 11:08]

This thread brings back a lot of memories - I am so ancient that I remember 'Now That's What I Call Music' - the first one!
The one advantage of cassettes was that you used to take them to parties (generally at a house where the unfortunate parents had gone away for a few days - blissfully unaware of the impending carnage) and gather around the stereo having an argument over who could play their tape next.

Flexidiscs - that was another thing - they used to put them free in some magazines. They were basically a single with severe anorexia.

"Thank you for supporting Queens Park Rangers Steep Staircase"... and I thought I'd signed up for a rollercoaster.
Poll: Next temporary manager (the wheel of misfortune) - as requested by 18 Stone

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:21 - Oct 10 with 1118 viewsPommyhoop

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:36 - Oct 10 by Lblock

Their record label put them up in a house off of Northfields Avenue.

A lovely bunch of lads - errrrrmmmmm

I recall they had an eye on my Chopper bike one day when they thought I was on my own. That changed.

They did used to get stick though.. always shouts of "Dennis... come back wid me apple pie" when we saw them around

LOL ..
If thats true..

LOL..
BTW I do believe you..

Farking 'Ell you mustve been a rich kid .Having a Chopper an that..
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 11:26]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:26 - Oct 10 with 1105 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:52 - Oct 10 by A40Bosh

I am pleased that so many people have such vivid memories of buying their fist single. I have been wracking my brain all morning to try and come up with the answer, but as there was always so much music in our house, it's difficult to pin point when I started going out shopping for it myself.

I am beginning to think that like my own girls were at 10 and 11, it was more likely to have been a compilation album which would have pre-dated the Now That's What I Call Music series. I have a vivid recollection of "owning" the 1979 compilation Hot Tracks
http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1043700

but single?

Maybe one of the early Police singles like Walking on the Moon.

The Now Series is the great age-diviner. I bought the first one ("Now That's What...etc"- there was no number. I'm ancient.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:27 - Oct 10 with 1103 viewspaulparker

had the 1982 world cup England squad album bought for me by nan as my 1st record,
the one I saved to buy on my own was this

mum always went shopping on a Tuesday and if I shut up and didn't create she would take me to Our Price record shop (remember them) and get a record
from there its turned into a habit/Hobby and now have over 2000 records in the Garage

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:29 - Oct 10 with 1100 viewsKonk

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:21 - Oct 10 by Mytch_QPR

This thread brings back a lot of memories - I am so ancient that I remember 'Now That's What I Call Music' - the first one!
The one advantage of cassettes was that you used to take them to parties (generally at a house where the unfortunate parents had gone away for a few days - blissfully unaware of the impending carnage) and gather around the stereo having an argument over who could play their tape next.

Flexidiscs - that was another thing - they used to put them free in some magazines. They were basically a single with severe anorexia.

My oldest brother got “Now that’s what I call music” too — the very concept blew our minds. When he brought that home we went nuts. All your favourite hits on one bloody record. Amazing. Also remember flexi discs — not the greatest sound quality, but hey, they were free. Me and my closest brother used to play records, listen to a line of lyrics, lift the needle off, jot down the lyrics and then put the needle back down for another line…what a brilliant waste of time. Can especially remember doing it for this song, which we loved — I think we struggled with this one for some reason — listening back it’s all pretty straight forward:

First record I saved up for was “Ghost Town” by the Specials. Loved that song and played it on my little battery operated record player relentlessly.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:29 - Oct 10 with 1033 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:21 - Oct 10 by Mytch_QPR

You beat me to the comment about the first Now album!

Flexidiscs - man they were the height of excitement!

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:31 - Oct 10 with 1032 viewslondonscottish

It was this. I was only 8 years old at the time and my older neighbour (10?) was into Elton John and Mungo Jerry. FFS the things you remember 42 years later....

(GREAT THREAD BRIAN, BTW)

[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 11:37]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:32 - Oct 10 with 1024 viewslondonscottish

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 08:59 - Oct 10 by CroydonCaptJack

On clear vinyl no less.

Excellent, still love that song. And I've still got the 7 inch somewhere

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:36 - Oct 10 with 1012 viewsOutWestR

This is mine, bought from Woolworths in East Molesey ...

At least I'd like to think it was, but it might've been 'The eye of the tiger'
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:36 - Oct 10 with 1010 viewslondonscottish

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:29 - Oct 10 by Konk

My oldest brother got “Now that’s what I call music” too — the very concept blew our minds. When he brought that home we went nuts. All your favourite hits on one bloody record. Amazing. Also remember flexi discs — not the greatest sound quality, but hey, they were free. Me and my closest brother used to play records, listen to a line of lyrics, lift the needle off, jot down the lyrics and then put the needle back down for another line…what a brilliant waste of time. Can especially remember doing it for this song, which we loved — I think we struggled with this one for some reason — listening back it’s all pretty straight forward:

First record I saved up for was “Ghost Town” by the Specials. Loved that song and played it on my little battery operated record player relentlessly.

OMG - you've just reminded me that I went through a lengthy Vangelis Phase. Then Jean Michelle Jarre. I know, I know.....

The things you do when your're waiting for the likes of Ian Dury/The Members/The Jam/The Clash/The Skids/The Stranglers/The Buzzcocks/The Damned to explode onto the scene.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:42 - Oct 10 with 1004 viewslondonscottish

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:37 - Oct 10 by DaBurgh

Too cool for school. :-)

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:47 - Oct 10 with 1001 viewsKonk

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:27 - Oct 10 by paulparker

had the 1982 world cup England squad album bought for me by nan as my 1st record,
the one I saved to buy on my own was this

mum always went shopping on a Tuesday and if I shut up and didn't create she would take me to Our Price record shop (remember them) and get a record
from there its turned into a habit/Hobby and now have over 2000 records in the Garage

I wasn’t allowed DMs when I was a kid, but I borrowed a mate’s DMs specifically to dance to Boxer Beat at a disco on a school trip to Pwhelli when I was about nine. Claret Fred Perry, grey sta-press trousers and Martin Lawson’s cherry red DMs. Missed half the song swapping shoes with him. Mint.

My Dad bought the 1982 WC song for us — what a classic. The other records I remember him buying us are Jonah Lewie’s “Can you stop the cavalry”, Adam Ant’s “Stand and deliver”, Paul McCartney’s “Mull of Kintyre” and Chas & Dave’s “Spurs are on their way to Wembley” (Tottenham-supporting family). Cheers, Dad. He listens to Pan pipe cover albums now.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:55 - Oct 10 with 994 viewsPommyhoop

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:36 - Oct 10 by OutWestR

This is mine, bought from Woolworths in East Molesey ...

At least I'd like to think it was, but it might've been 'The eye of the tiger'

Quality song to pretend was your first single.
This would be up there as a brilliant first buy too.

In fact Yep it was my first single .Brilliant record...

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:55 - Oct 10 with 991 viewslondonscottish

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:47 - Oct 10 by Konk

I wasn’t allowed DMs when I was a kid, but I borrowed a mate’s DMs specifically to dance to Boxer Beat at a disco on a school trip to Pwhelli when I was about nine. Claret Fred Perry, grey sta-press trousers and Martin Lawson’s cherry red DMs. Missed half the song swapping shoes with him. Mint.

My Dad bought the 1982 WC song for us — what a classic. The other records I remember him buying us are Jonah Lewie’s “Can you stop the cavalry”, Adam Ant’s “Stand and deliver”, Paul McCartney’s “Mull of Kintyre” and Chas & Dave’s “Spurs are on their way to Wembley” (Tottenham-supporting family). Cheers, Dad. He listens to Pan pipe cover albums now.

I was on a school trip to Holland in 1979 when Into The Valley was released. On the ferry on the way across we badgered and badgered the Smashie and Nicey-type DJ to play it. Cue 60 fifteen year old kids from Dunfermline going utterly mental, pogoing about the place, chicken dancing and moshing.

On the return trip we were solemnly informed that the record was banned as "P&O had a policy of not playing punk". Ah those were the days.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 12:09 - Oct 10 with 981 viewsithastogetbetter

Peter Gabriel - Games without Frontiers. 1979/1980 in Golden Discs in Dun Laoghaire. I had already bought my first LP before that - Dark Side of the Moon. Looking back, that all a bit "way out" for a pre-pubescent!

BTW - fav cheese is a nice bit of Comte
[Post edited 10 Oct 2014 12:18]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024