Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought 08:13 - Oct 10 with 6759 viewsBrianMcCarthy

First single bought with your own money. No lies, excuses and apologoes are welcome, but no lies!

My first single was probably 'How much is that doggie on the window?' but this is the first one I saved up for with my pocket money. Three of us went into Golden Discs in Cork. We bought U2 - 3, The Specials' Gangsters and this one, which was mine. I loved all three and ended up swapping with them for the other two as well.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 18:36 - Oct 10 with 1431 viewsMatch82

I wish I had a less embarassing answer to this question.
But first single was "No Limit" by 2Unlimited.

Which doesn't really reflect my taste in music at all, but I do enjoy the Charlie/Niko remix
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 18:47 - Oct 10 with 1427 viewssexton

Woodstock by Matthews Southern Comfort, aged 11. From a record shop at the Hammersmith Station end of King Street.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 20:43 - Oct 10 with 1393 viewsCamberleyR

Goodbye My Love by The Glitter Band, I was 10.

Still think it's a good song. Never gets played on programmes like Pick of the Pops nowadays due to the "guilt by association" with Gary Glitter even though they never actually played on any of his records.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 22:27 - Oct 10 with 1361 viewsPeterHucker

bought in Woolworths in (appropriately enough) Romford, Essex. (I'm not from Essex, I was staying with my grandparents.

In the deserts of Sudan.....

Still love it now.
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 22:34 - Oct 10 with 1360 viewsjamois

Tears in me eyes goodness gracious me, great thread, yes it was this for me. Bought with my own money in a record shop whilst staying at my Nan's in Sidcup, Kent.

Yes sir!

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 23:57 - Oct 10 with 1329 viewsMetallica_Hoop

At Lunch today on the laptop I played as far as we got up to in sequence, everyone was like "I know this".

I got told to FF the Japp one

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 03:39 - Oct 11 with 1305 viewsFredManRave

Great Thread. First record that I bought was Mirror In The Bathroom.
Fortunately due to The Beat and other groups I was into at the time not being particularly mainstream I was able to get their singles from the cheap section of the record rack at Finlays Newsagents. Not content with that I used to change over the prices always putting the cheapest 35p price on my singles of choice.

As for the mention of buying from WHSmith. Remember these;

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 04:20 - Oct 11 with 1296 viewswood_hoop

Really got the old memories going with this thread ,got a tanner a week pocket money in 1964, had to do loads of odd jobs round the neighbourhood to save the money up for this, only eight years old...

Login to get fewer ads

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 04:35 - Oct 11 with 1294 viewswood_hoop

Also remembered buying these, the first in 67 and to prove what a difference a year can be like in childhood, in 68 the start of my 'skinhead' days

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 04:45 - Oct 11 with 1291 viewsQPR_ARG

We didn't have (at least in my generation) the habit of buying singles. We were more into full albums. But sometimes you'd buy one just because you liked the hit song included there.

And one of my early recollections of music I bought or ask my parents to buy for me, is this from Los Pericos (a hybrid reggae-pop band from Argentina!).

El Ritual de la Banana (The Ritual of Banana), whatever that meant! But it sure was catchy!

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 07:42 - Oct 11 with 1282 viewsrichranger

WH SMith Richmond

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 07:49 - Oct 11 with 1277 viewsYorkRanger

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 22:34 - Oct 10 by jamois

Tears in me eyes goodness gracious me, great thread, yes it was this for me. Bought with my own money in a record shop whilst staying at my Nan's in Sidcup, Kent.

Yes sir!

Always liked that record.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:59 - Oct 11 with 1253 viewscollegeranger

Mum bought me this tragic single in 1975 to kick me off on a music collecting habit.......

However the first 2 singles I bought from the Record Scene at Sunbury X were

and

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 12:24 - Oct 11 with 1243 viewsqpr1976

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:19 - Oct 10 by BrixtonR

My Mum had bought me a few I'd asked for before, but this was the first one I bought myself from Hermyln records in Eltham. My Mum wasn't too impressed with the B side lol

'There Ain't 'Arf Been Some Clever B@stards'
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 12:46 - Oct 11 with 1241 viewsqpr1976

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 16:46 - Oct 10 by YorkRanger

I can answer with honesty. Neither record in any way resembles my music Tastes as a teenager or in later years.

Two records:

The Girl of my best friend - Elvis Presley
Under The Moon of Love - Showaddywaddy

Snap ! (Not the album by The Jam!)

Under The Moon Of Love by Showaddywaddy was the 1st single I bought myself.
Before that all were bourght by my parents for Xmas or Birthday or occasionally otherwise if I asked / begged really nicely or persistantly. The 1st being Clare by Gilbert O' Sullivan.

Fortunately. My tastes improved from 1976 onwards.
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 20:21 - Oct 11 with 1200 viewsizlingtonhoop

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 10:59 - Oct 11 by collegeranger

Mum bought me this tragic single in 1975 to kick me off on a music collecting habit.......

However the first 2 singles I bought from the Record Scene at Sunbury X were

and

Just watched the Tommy Gun vid - big fave of mine.
Advert pop up?
Free Retirement Guide.
Gawd elp us.
We punks are going the way of all flesh...
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 18:41 - Oct 12 with 1151 viewsSomersetHoops

This might be a slight cheat because it was an EP with Bo Diddley and Chuck Berry - two tracks from each.

Who's Next?

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 11:40 - Oct 13 with 1110 viewscorse

1975 i bought this. this was on the b side of how does it feel.
i like this much much more
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 12:24 - Oct 13 with 1098 viewshovehoop

Some surprising cool first buys.....which I'm about to spoil.

Record shop of choice was 'Spin-It' on Willesden Lane.

Aged 6 I bought Wig Wam Bam by Sweet and Crazy Horses by the Osmonds. Tastes improved when 8 and I got Tiger Feet by Mud.

Used to play music wherever really. I remember my Nan telling off my Granddad for allowing me to play this record called 'Men Behind the Wire' - I had no idea!

By the age of 12 I was into the Clash and remember buying Tommy Gun.
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 13:31 - Oct 13 with 1066 viewsbob566

bought two at the same time. Not bad not but not great either

and

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 13:46 - Oct 13 with 1064 viewsBluce_Ree

This is Not a Love Song by Public Image Ltd. I was 9 I guess (1983 wiki says).

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 15:59 - Oct 13 with 1039 viewsdannyblue

Pleased to be able to say Public Enemy - Welcome to the Terrordome with Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos on the B-side. From Woolworths on Portobello (now Poundland).

First album was Bon Jovi - Slippery When Wet.
Friday Music Fred - First Single Bought on 19:41 - Oct 13 with 1010 viewsTearsofrage

Back Street Love - Curved Air (but really Sonja Kristina) 1971 - record shop near The Old King Lud - St Pauls - on lunch break from first serious job at Abbey Life - still got it!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024