Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On my QPR Soapbox... 04:43 - Jan 11 with 4457 viewsSuperhoopsSG

This is my first post on LFW, I am a frequent reader and there are some great opinions put forward by people but the increasing unpleasant negativity I see on the forums has compelled me to post something.

Now let me get on my soap box...

Could all the doom and gloom merchants call it a day and take a holiday from the forums and social media for a while unless there is something constructive to say. As a QPR fan for over 35 years, I now find myself thinking what a thoroughly unpleasant group of people we have supporting the club now. Demanding that someone loses their job after 8 games. Are you kidding me?

Let the manager and the players do their jobs. If I was the player or manager reading all this dross, it would probably affect my confidence and subsequently the team performance. Can you imagine someone telling you that you are rubbish week in week out? I wonder how many people would want to work in their jobs if the boss told them every week they were rubbish and a waste of space.

Also lets give Tony Fernandes a break. Whether you like his tweets or not he has coughed up the cash. For those of you who remember the days of administration before Flavio, you will truly remember a bad period when I as a fan thought QPR were truly up the proverbial faecal creek without a paddle. FFP is nowhere near as depressing as that was. So for the younguns'.. please.

I am probably one of the few who was disappointed Chris Ramsay wasn't given a better chance and was axed when he was. I felt he had some really exciting ideas in attacking football which i think should have been given some chance to mature. Rome wasn't built in one day.

Now we have JFH. He's still learning about his players and what they can and can't do. When I was younger it would be commonly be said that you need to give a manager at least one season with his own players to change a teams fortunes. I wouldn't expect anything to fruitful until next season. Where has this instant gratification come from?

On Seb Polter. I love watching him play. Yes, he's got the first touch of a rapist, Yes, my gran probably has more skills in her coffin but what he does great is run the defence ragged and pull them around as well as get the odd goal. He's an honest footballer and a team player, I want to see more of that. Why can't we just get behind all our players? He's scored 2 goals for us and he's still getting stick from some quarters.

Lets just get behind the team, no more unpleasant comments and talks of sacking please.

D.

On my QPR Soapbox... on 06:25 - Jan 11 with 3279 viewsloftboy

All.very.well.but unless.you tell.us your.favourite.cheese.then it all.means nothing!

Welcome btw

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

On my QPR Soapbox... on 06:43 - Jan 11 with 3263 viewsisawqpratwcity

Welcome aboard. Your views are somewhat in the minority but we don't all roll with the mob. Enjoy yourself!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

On my QPR Soapbox... on 08:28 - Jan 11 with 3131 viewsPommyhoop

Great post mate.
Welcome to the board and that ever shrinking minority you speak of..

Happy Clapper 4life

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

On my QPR Soapbox... on 08:40 - Jan 11 with 3114 viewsWokingR

Great first post

You are not alone in being bored to tears with the negativity on here of late and for a long time now I have simply refused to use the site for at least 24 hours after any defeat.
For the first time ever this morning I had to think about whether I wanted to come on here which must also be starting to concern Clive because of traffic and advertiser revenue.
Sick to death of hearing JFH out, Les out, Fernandes out, Ramsey out again.
Give it a f*cking rest. Apparently there is a perfectly good site called WATRB for this sort of thing.

Now, about that cheese ?
On my QPR Soapbox... on 08:53 - Jan 11 with 3085 viewsdoogi55

well it can never be worse than getting beat by vauxhall moters
still no cheese
On my QPR Soapbox... on 08:58 - Jan 11 with 3081 viewsPunteR

Welcome superhoopsSG.
I agree with you about Ramsey,we're definitely in the minority on here with that opinion.
I cant agree about Tony Fernandes though I'm afraid.
He's got a lot to answer for Imo. In fact the negativity around the club is mainly because he promised so much but just hasn't delivered.
We all remember how bad things were and yet there's a real threat of those days coming back after squandering a quarter of a billion pounds. There are no excuses for him. Its obscene the amount we've spent but so little to show for it. Its shameful.
We are a proud set of fans but I think the majority feel we're getting mugged off by TF. I think the negativity on here reflects that.
I do feel though that we have a couple more throws at the dice.
We need to get behind JFH and help push his team on. He's proved he's capable but he needs time. Its a game of football at the end of the day,you win some,you lose some.
Its definitely not worth the fans falling out with each other because we're the ones that will still be here long after TF goes.
I'll get off my soap box now.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:01 - Jan 11 with 3078 viewsHunterhoop

Great first post. We're not all doom mob gets though!

Agree with pretty much all of that save the Fernandes part. I do genuinely believe he is a bad leader, undermines the medium-long term success of the club, certainly on the playing field and wanted to use the club as a commercial vehicle for his consortium to make money (via the Old Oak Common development and through product placement in the Prem). That in itself is fine. His money and all that. But I think it has harmed the whole club so much. I also think he's not very sharp, which worries me.

BUT, I'm very hopeful about Lee Hoos. Heard some excellent things about him from people in the industry.

The issue for me is TF's approach these last few years is what has turned the fanbase into having these delusions of grandeur and clamour for instant gratification. Admin and the buckets at least pulled the fanbase together and kept it grounded, which created a great atmosphere that the team of the period thrived in.
On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:17 - Jan 11 with 2997 viewsjohncharles

There are more posts about negativity than there is actual negativity.

Strong and stable my arse.

Login to get fewer ads

On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:17 - Jan 11 with 2998 viewspaulparker

I agree that Les & JFH need time , possibly 5 years to sort out the mess without the interference of those upstairs
but why should QPR fans who arnt happy not be allowed to speak ?
why should TF cop a break, the bloke has enough chances , he has wasted 250 million , sacked our championship winning manager, let the likes of Kia worm his way in, then let Arry and his cronies worm there way in, no training ground, no structure, he has also overseen 2 pathetic campaigns in the prem league and lumbered us players like Fer & Sandro , I think TF has got off quite lightly
why should fans who see Henry playing in a number 10 position instead of chery or Luango not be allowed to voice an opinion
why should those who are fed up with seeing the likes of Smithies & Gladwin rot , not speak up , im all for backing the team Ive never booed a player but I understand those who do , they pay good money to see the likes of Fer, sandro, Green go through the motions,
we still haven't addressed the right back issue that's 2 seasons now (sold Harriman) , and 3 seasons that we haven't got another striker to help Austin
the fans are fed up and quite rightly so , we have been sold a pup , this year was all about starting the new QPR, going back to the way we used to do things
well from what I can see it hasn't changed, we still make the same mistakes, we are still throwing good money after bad , how can QPR fans be happy ? the latest one now is we could be selling Gladwin after what 3 appearances,
we are a mess and will continue to be a mess with TF and friends at the helm,

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:23 - Jan 11 with 2985 viewsDorse

Welcome aboard, SuperhoopsSG. Great first post, especially the 'first touch' comment that had me almost spit out my coffee.*

I generally don't worry about the doom and gloom brigade because they are a rich vein of material for me. I tend to view the world through child-like eyes, seeing each dawn sparkling with possibility and hope, each stranger simply waiting to become a friend and the sun shining down on QPR like a benevolent god warming our collective spirit and galvanising it to drive us onward.

Doom and gloom? It is nothing. It's the cheese nazis you want to look out for. Dairylea IS a cheese you bastards.

* Not a euphemism.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:24 - Jan 11 with 2980 viewsDorse

On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:17 - Jan 11 by johncharles

There are more posts about negativity than there is actual negativity.

On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:29 - Jan 11 with 2965 viewsWokingR

On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:24 - Jan 11 by Dorse

oh you're in trouble now !

You do realise you've just posted a naked picture of Sprit of Gregory don't you ?
On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:31 - Jan 11 with 2961 viewsDorse

On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:29 - Jan 11 by WokingR

oh you're in trouble now !

You do realise you've just posted a naked picture of Sprit of Gregory don't you ?

So THAT'S why she won't return my calls...

On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:46 - Jan 11 with 2939 viewsPommyhoop

Edit ..I should of said I'm not a great admirer of TF and wouldn't be upset at all if he would f'ck off and take his tweets with him. It's the other 'out brigades ' and boo boy targets our new breed of fan have theses days that do my head in ..
Lets see , we got Ramsey( mission accomplished, well done), Henry , Sir Les Ferdinand, Polter,Fer and our current manager who played for Chelsea seems to be gaining popularity with the out out out boys after 7 games..
Sad and bewildering ,it really is.

On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:50 - Jan 11 with 2927 viewsSuperhoopsSG

Many thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Cheese, Hmm I wish I could say Stinking Bishop but I would be lying. I'm not a huge cheese person but I am partial to blue cheese. The last I had was some wensleydale blue. Very nice.

Someone mentioned Vauxhall Motors? Now there was a quality teamif I ever saw one. Nothing to be ashamed of losing to them,... Ahem..*clears throat*

As for TF. I don't disagree he has mismanaged expectations and I'd agree he's not necessarily the chairman with the most savvy, but looking at our previous chairmen/owners over the last 30 yrs he's the best of a bad bunch. Remember Richard Thompson? Remember Chris Wright who loved rugby more than football? No need to talk of Paladini and his alleged boardroom mugging of Bill Powers at gunpoint. i think compared to some of our other characters at QPR, Fat Tony is alright.
On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:56 - Jan 11 with 2910 viewsadhoc_qpr

I'm consciously trying to be more positive myself and not get caught up in the negative spiral around QPR and I understand what your trying to say....

But you can't tell people who hold different opinions to you to stop posting.

Mindless abuse and vitriol there is no place for, but that's the moderators job.

Passionate and disappointed fans though are allowed to vent and whinge on internet forums - it practically what they were made for!
On my QPR Soapbox... on 10:46 - Jan 11 with 2853 viewsCanadaRanger

On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:56 - Jan 11 by adhoc_qpr

I'm consciously trying to be more positive myself and not get caught up in the negative spiral around QPR and I understand what your trying to say....

But you can't tell people who hold different opinions to you to stop posting.

Mindless abuse and vitriol there is no place for, but that's the moderators job.

Passionate and disappointed fans though are allowed to vent and whinge on internet forums - it practically what they were made for!

And your favourite Cheese?
(It's a message board thing)

welcome, btw
On my QPR Soapbox... on 11:55 - Jan 11 with 2786 viewsJuzzie

Social media has made everything scrutinised instantly, publicly and in huge numbers. No longer are opinions confined to the pub where no one else outside of the group hears.... it's all out there for people, especially players, Managers, owners etc to read.

There's a saying that goes "What other people think of me is none of my business.".
One of the highest places you can get to is to be independent of the opinions of other people.

Whilst this may be true in theory, in practice it's not so easy. We're all human, we have emotions & feelings and IMO what a lot of people say on social media is borderline bullying, cowardly in the main.

I remember in my early 20's when I first started the job I'm still doing now (though it has evolved a lot over many years) feeling very vulnerable. It took a good 18 months before things started to 'click' and that Matrix moment of everything slowing down and just happening calmly.

That's called getting experience.

If I had people saying things about me in the way people talk about players etc I think I would have lost a lot of confidence and taken longer to get there, if at all. I can understand why people, teens in particular, can be very vulnerable to online bullying.

Circa 2004/2005 we had a new member of staff join us. A few months in my boss asked me "Do you think Joe Bloggs will be OK?" - he seemed unsure of himself, always shuffling bits of paper around in meetings and so on. But there was something there that assured me he would come good. I said this to my boss and here we are 11 or so years later and he's still with us doing a sterling job. He just need to find his own moment for it all to click.
Sure, if someone clearly cannot do it then something needs to be done but I just feel there is no patience in this world anymore, everything has to be now.
Ever Sir Alex Ferguson was a game or two away from the sack but winning the FA Cup circa 1990 saved his bacon and the rest is history.

[Post edited 11 Jan 2016 12:02]
On my QPR Soapbox... on 12:04 - Jan 11 with 2747 viewssimmo

Good first post and agree with most, except for the Fernandes bit, obviously. Me and 'Uncle Tony' want different things for QPR - despite the bollocks he comes out with, so we will never agree. I'll be here longer than he will though, so happy to wait it out.

As you say, the calls for JFH to go and the pathetic nicknames are an ebarrassment to QPR, but typical of the minority of fans that now have a platform via forums and twitter, etc.

Let's get that first win sorted and settle things down.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

On my QPR Soapbox... on 12:08 - Jan 11 with 2728 viewsLongsufferingR

Well said Juzzie. Social media has a lot to answer for in this respect, as does the influx of billionaire owners, whose arrival seems to raise expectations above where they should be for some clubs.

When I think of limited players who have made a name here like Gary Penrice, Devon White, Ian Holloway etc., I just wish Seb Polter and others would get the same chance.
On my QPR Soapbox... on 12:18 - Jan 11 with 2702 viewsR_from_afar

On my QPR Soapbox... on 09:17 - Jan 11 by paulparker

I agree that Les & JFH need time , possibly 5 years to sort out the mess without the interference of those upstairs
but why should QPR fans who arnt happy not be allowed to speak ?
why should TF cop a break, the bloke has enough chances , he has wasted 250 million , sacked our championship winning manager, let the likes of Kia worm his way in, then let Arry and his cronies worm there way in, no training ground, no structure, he has also overseen 2 pathetic campaigns in the prem league and lumbered us players like Fer & Sandro , I think TF has got off quite lightly
why should fans who see Henry playing in a number 10 position instead of chery or Luango not be allowed to voice an opinion
why should those who are fed up with seeing the likes of Smithies & Gladwin rot , not speak up , im all for backing the team Ive never booed a player but I understand those who do , they pay good money to see the likes of Fer, sandro, Green go through the motions,
we still haven't addressed the right back issue that's 2 seasons now (sold Harriman) , and 3 seasons that we haven't got another striker to help Austin
the fans are fed up and quite rightly so , we have been sold a pup , this year was all about starting the new QPR, going back to the way we used to do things
well from what I can see it hasn't changed, we still make the same mistakes, we are still throwing good money after bad , how can QPR fans be happy ? the latest one now is we could be selling Gladwin after what 3 appearances,
we are a mess and will continue to be a mess with TF and friends at the helm,

TF has got a lot of things wrong, I'll happily admit that, but:
- a lot of the stuff you are blaming him for was the fault of the manager at the time and/or other members of staff
- some things have improved. Many fans wanted a "football man" to oversee what goes on at the club and to help TF and the board. Well, we now have a capable and driven DoF in Sir Les and an experienced CEO in Hoos. We are also paying less on wages - Sir Les was behind that - and have brought in younger, hungrier players.

There has been a lot of grim, grim stuff during TF's reign but there have been some improvements recently.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

On my QPR Soapbox... on 12:21 - Jan 11 with 2691 viewsPommyhoop

On my QPR Soapbox... on 11:55 - Jan 11 by Juzzie

Social media has made everything scrutinised instantly, publicly and in huge numbers. No longer are opinions confined to the pub where no one else outside of the group hears.... it's all out there for people, especially players, Managers, owners etc to read.

There's a saying that goes "What other people think of me is none of my business.".
One of the highest places you can get to is to be independent of the opinions of other people.

Whilst this may be true in theory, in practice it's not so easy. We're all human, we have emotions & feelings and IMO what a lot of people say on social media is borderline bullying, cowardly in the main.

I remember in my early 20's when I first started the job I'm still doing now (though it has evolved a lot over many years) feeling very vulnerable. It took a good 18 months before things started to 'click' and that Matrix moment of everything slowing down and just happening calmly.

That's called getting experience.

If I had people saying things about me in the way people talk about players etc I think I would have lost a lot of confidence and taken longer to get there, if at all. I can understand why people, teens in particular, can be very vulnerable to online bullying.

Circa 2004/2005 we had a new member of staff join us. A few months in my boss asked me "Do you think Joe Bloggs will be OK?" - he seemed unsure of himself, always shuffling bits of paper around in meetings and so on. But there was something there that assured me he would come good. I said this to my boss and here we are 11 or so years later and he's still with us doing a sterling job. He just need to find his own moment for it all to click.
Sure, if someone clearly cannot do it then something needs to be done but I just feel there is no patience in this world anymore, everything has to be now.
Ever Sir Alex Ferguson was a game or two away from the sack but winning the FA Cup circa 1990 saved his bacon and the rest is history.

[Post edited 11 Jan 2016 12:02]

Very true juzzie. Sometimes I long for those far off days when someone ITK really had to be ITK as in actually be involved with the club or know someone who was.Or maybe be the binman for the ground and have a little rummage through now and then.
I remember walking down Hammersmith High Rd with a mate coming home from school with my Gooner mate.I wouldn't believe him that Ray Kennedy had gone to Liverpool. He asked a copper for proof..Cost me about 2 p that bet.i think you could get a mars bar for 2p then..
Like you say Fergie would probably be long gone before Mark Robins savd his arse if the tinternet was roaring back at that time

On my QPR Soapbox... on 12:38 - Jan 11 with 2659 viewsisawqpratwcity

On my QPR Soapbox... on 12:21 - Jan 11 by Pommyhoop

Very true juzzie. Sometimes I long for those far off days when someone ITK really had to be ITK as in actually be involved with the club or know someone who was.Or maybe be the binman for the ground and have a little rummage through now and then.
I remember walking down Hammersmith High Rd with a mate coming home from school with my Gooner mate.I wouldn't believe him that Ray Kennedy had gone to Liverpool. He asked a copper for proof..Cost me about 2 p that bet.i think you could get a mars bar for 2p then..
Like you say Fergie would probably be long gone before Mark Robins savd his arse if the tinternet was roaring back at that time

Two and a half pence for a Mars bar...a tanner.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

On my QPR Soapbox... on 12:42 - Jan 11 with 2638 viewstimcocking

Absolutely dead right mate.

Trouble is, i think two thirds agree with nearly every word you say, it's all bluddy obvious. The other lot, though, completely disagree with all of that and will continue to rant and rave like some sort of hideous combination of a rabid daily mail reader with a student. They (hyper agro fans) genuinely don't realise they are a huge part of why the players don't want to be with us.
On my QPR Soapbox... on 13:03 - Jan 11 with 2591 viewspaulparker

On my QPR Soapbox... on 12:18 - Jan 11 by R_from_afar

TF has got a lot of things wrong, I'll happily admit that, but:
- a lot of the stuff you are blaming him for was the fault of the manager at the time and/or other members of staff
- some things have improved. Many fans wanted a "football man" to oversee what goes on at the club and to help TF and the board. Well, we now have a capable and driven DoF in Sir Les and an experienced CEO in Hoos. We are also paying less on wages - Sir Les was behind that - and have brought in younger, hungrier players.

There has been a lot of grim, grim stuff during TF's reign but there have been some improvements recently.

RFA

Surely though the bucks stops with TF, yes you can blame the managers who have wasted the cash, but its down to TF to put his foot down , if you don't that's why we end up with the likes of Sandro , Andy Johnson, samba etc
that's why we ended up with the managers agents mates creaming a fast buck
also TF wanted Park as a marquee signing without doing his homework and realising he was knackered as a player, its the same as the ceaser signing
Beard was just as bad, but who employed him , TF is the captain of the ship and is just as bad as Wright, Thompson, Briatore IMHO ,
take the Green fiasco, its a scandal really but because we as fans are used to it we just shrug our shoulders
we now have Les as DOF , which is a good move, but it doesn't help when he is undermined by the board, let him and JFH get on with it, let them ship out the likes of Fer & Sandro without the pressure of having to play them
we as fans were promised a new start , but we have been let down again ,
TF doesn't help JFH, Les or anyone else with how he behaves, until he leaves we will never go forward as a football club

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024