Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charlie Austin coming back? 11:11 - Aug 15 with 8995 viewsrichranger

Possible - but unlikely, say the 'sub' Standard

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/romelu-lukaku-to-chelsea-antonio-conte-
Charlie Austin coming back? on 14:27 - Aug 16 with 1948 viewsMaggsinho

This seems to make the debate fairly academic.

Charlie Austin coming back? on 14:29 - Aug 16 with 1935 viewsdaveB

Charlie Austin coming back? on 13:40 - Aug 16 by PinnerPaul

Its a 46 game season and no player expects to play every game.

As you say its a squad game, will just repeat ,can't see how bringing back a player of Ca's quality would ruin all that.

"All that" being two excellent performances, they were excellent but its only 2 games.

Not about how good Austin is as a player, clearly he's better than Polter and Washington but this is exactly what we did wrong last time signing players who are good players but won't fit into how we want to play so we have to change the system to get the best out of them which then sees other players struggle and we go back to being a team of individuals again.

I love Charlie Austin but he wanted to leave the club and was happy to walk away on a free transfer to make it happen so I'm not sure it sends the right message to go back in for him. It would leave us in exactly the same position as last August with Austin here promotion expected and manager gone within a month as we probably won't go up this year.

Lets instead try and find the new Charlie Austin or go mad and give a kid from the under 21's a chance if we get injuries.
Charlie Austin coming back? on 14:31 - Aug 16 with 1929 viewsRs_Holy

Charlie Austin coming back? on 12:43 - Aug 16 by TacticalR

Bring back Zamora.

We're a better team with Bobby!
Charlie Austin coming back? on 14:36 - Aug 16 with 1907 viewsAntti_Heinola

Charlie Austin coming back? on 14:29 - Aug 16 by daveB

Not about how good Austin is as a player, clearly he's better than Polter and Washington but this is exactly what we did wrong last time signing players who are good players but won't fit into how we want to play so we have to change the system to get the best out of them which then sees other players struggle and we go back to being a team of individuals again.

I love Charlie Austin but he wanted to leave the club and was happy to walk away on a free transfer to make it happen so I'm not sure it sends the right message to go back in for him. It would leave us in exactly the same position as last August with Austin here promotion expected and manager gone within a month as we probably won't go up this year.

Lets instead try and find the new Charlie Austin or go mad and give a kid from the under 21's a chance if we get injuries.

happy to walk on a free transfer?

Bare bones.

Charlie Austin coming back? on 15:05 - Aug 16 with 1816 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie Austin coming back? on 14:12 - Aug 16 by eccles

We all love Charlie, proper goal scorer, but he's not coming back to us for a couple of reasons.
A player of his quality is not going to spend half a season on loan warming our bench. He's too good for that. Any decent prem player coming down would expect to play. It would be unfair to drop Polts, he's done everything asked of him, and if they did it would quite rightly put the bfg's nose out of joint, possibly upsetting the new found harmony of the team.
If we are looking for a prem loanee, it will have to be along the lines of a youngster that cant get a game at prem level. A bit like how we took Keane from Man utd a couple of seasons back.(ok he was no good but the theory was sound) There must be loads of young forwards not getting a chance in the prem that cant displace all the big-money signings?
Or, JFH may be thinking that we already have a back-up in Yeni. He's a forward isn't he? When he's properly fit, I'd like to see him given a chance when we have to rest Seb.
A right sided midfielder (I know, not another midfielder!) to replace Gladwin might be a better buy. Possibly a winger?
As much as I'd love to see Charlie in the proper hoops, I don't think it works for the team as a whole.

yes, largely agree but Charlie has only started 3 PL games I think since Jan!
Charlie Austin coming back? on 15:07 - Aug 16 with 1803 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie Austin coming back? on 14:27 - Aug 16 by Maggsinho

This seems to make the debate fairly academic.

That could and probably does refer to the possible Everton move of course!
Charlie Austin coming back? on 15:12 - Aug 16 with 1796 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie Austin coming back? on 14:29 - Aug 16 by daveB

See your point but I still think its an exaggeration to say the return of Charlie would be a return to the bad old days.
Charlie Austin coming back? on 15:51 - Aug 16 with 1702 viewsTacticalR

Wasn't this supposed to be Austin's moment at Southampton now Pellè has gone to Shandong?

Air hostess clique

Login to get fewer ads

Charlie Austin coming back? on 16:00 - Aug 16 with 1674 viewsPinnerPaul

Charlie Austin coming back? on 15:51 - Aug 16 by TacticalR

Wasn't this supposed to be Austin's moment at Southampton now Pellè has gone to Shandong?

and Mane has gone as well.

However, as I said earlier in the thread, new manager played Redmond (with Long) ahead of Charlie in 1st game, this despite Redmond not being a natural striker.
Charlie Austin coming back? on 17:05 - Aug 16 with 1586 viewsdaveB

Charlie Austin coming back? on 15:12 - Aug 16 by PinnerPaul

See your point but I still think its an exaggeration to say the return of Charlie would be a return to the bad old days.

Signing a player on big wages no matter how good he is when he doesn't fit in with how we play would be a return to the bad days imo. I'd prefer us to sign players who fit in with what the manager wants to do and allows us to play as a team
Charlie Austin coming back? on 17:28 - Aug 16 with 1536 viewsPunteR

Austin scores for fun. If I had a choice over Polter or Austin it would be Austin. Its a no brainer.
But he's not coming back here so its all irrelevant.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Charlie Austin coming back? on 22:37 - Aug 16 with 1350 viewsdaveB

Charlie Austin coming back? on 14:36 - Aug 16 by Antti_Heinola

happy to walk on a free transfer?

I think that was pretty obvious that he was happy to see out his contract with us last year and made it clear he wouldn't sign a new deal. I don't blame him for that either, was the right decsion for him
Charlie Austin coming back? on 22:54 - Aug 16 with 1296 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Charlie Austin coming back? on 17:05 - Aug 16 by daveB

Signing a player on big wages no matter how good he is when he doesn't fit in with how we play would be a return to the bad days imo. I'd prefer us to sign players who fit in with what the manager wants to do and allows us to play as a team

Completely agree.

Also, we have a wage structure now finally. How many multiples of the maximum would Austin demand? And what would the effect be on dressing room unity and morale?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Charlie Austin coming back? on 23:23 - Aug 16 with 1244 viewsDannytheR

He's moved on. We've moved on. It was best for both parties.

Never go back.

And that's coming from someone who spent most of the early 00s demanding that we re-sign Danny Dichio.
[Post edited 16 Aug 2016 23:24]
Charlie Austin coming back? on 23:48 - Aug 16 with 1191 viewsPunteR

I guess it comes down to how much the club are committed to getting promotion this season.
I understand the reasoning against Austin coming back, upsetting team moral, not fitting into how we play. I just don't think it would be as bad as some have made out.
Lets see the team moral once we start losing games, once Polter or Washington dry up for goals,yes they have potential and we're getting goals from other players but Austin is a proven goal machine,hence the higher wages.
Are we ready to be promoted this season?. Probably not. Will we be next season? who knows...?
Would it hurt to get promoted...?
Obviously we want to make a better go of it in the Premier league but consolidation was last season, we've got to start picking up the pace soon, especially now when clubs are now spending big in this division.
JFH won't be here long, he looks like he knows what he's doing, so its a good opportunity to make a go of it. The club is in good hands at the moment , we seem to be doing things right on and off the pitch.
I don't think resigning Austin is worst idea we've ever had.. We've had worse.
But he wont be coming back...its all hypothetical. (took me ages to remember that word)
[Post edited 17 Aug 2016 0:01]

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Charlie Austin coming back? on 00:12 - Aug 17 with 1138 viewsTacticalR

Charlie Austin coming back? on 12:23 - Aug 15 by Northernr

He'd get a Prem move if he did leave I reckon, really think this is pie in the sky.

A very nourishing dish.

Air hostess clique

Charlie Austin coming back? on 10:02 - Aug 17 with 976 viewsAntti_Heinola

Charlie Austin coming back? on 22:37 - Aug 16 by daveB

I think that was pretty obvious that he was happy to see out his contract with us last year and made it clear he wouldn't sign a new deal. I don't blame him for that either, was the right decsion for him

Yeah, but he didn't did he? If he'd wanted to, he could have, but he didn't. and he'd have gone the previous summer if a proper offer had come in.

Bare bones.

Charlie Austin coming back? on 10:17 - Aug 17 with 956 viewsingeminate

Charlie Austin coming back? on 10:02 - Aug 17 by Antti_Heinola

Yeah, but he didn't did he? If he'd wanted to, he could have, but he didn't. and he'd have gone the previous summer if a proper offer had come in.

He more or less left on a free transfer. 4 mill is nothing these days. Who knows what he is on, but rumors at the time time where that it was a massive weekly salary.

My guess is he was in negotiations with clubs already - fr when the season ended - and Southampton wanted to wrap it up early so once money hands been agreed with Austin offer us some cash to guarantee getting it over the line.

Charlie did a great job, but I don't believe he ever had anyone's interest beyond his own - and why should he.

He didn't move before because the clubs that came in for him where either in the wrong location or not high enough profile for him, nothing to do with any great love of QPR.

It is not impossible that we might be offered him on loan at some stage if he isn't getting game time at Southampton. Zero chance of signing him while we are in the champ.

Issue I'd have is what sort of a Charlie Austin would we get this time around. Up till now he career has gone in one direction, on the up and up, full of promise. Our record of signing players taking a step down shows it rarely works out.

I get that he was a good'un in the dressing room, but reading between the lines it wasn't all plain sailing and he has a bit of big time Charlie in the locker. Ramsay referenced it a few times in interviews. So while he'd definitely improve the team in the short term I'd prefer we kept to a longer terms plan and continued to bring in players who see us as step up.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Charlie Austin coming back? on 10:42 - Aug 17 with 916 viewsCiderwithRsie

Issue I'd have is what sort of a Charlie Austin would we get this time around. Up till now he career has gone in one direction, on the up and up, full of promise. Our record of signing players taking a step down shows it rarely works out.

Very much agree with this. I think it would be very tough for him to motivate himself properly if he felt that he was taking a backward step. He must already be feeling a bit down, given his lack of starts at Southampton, injures etc (and of course, his injury record can't be ignored by us, either.)

He's still plenty young enough to kick on and have a fine career in the Premier League. If he has to move from Southampton to do it, good luck to him; but coming back to us smacks of taking an easier option - bad for him and I think bad for us.
Charlie Austin coming back? on 21:51 - Aug 17 with 763 viewsdaveB

Charlie Austin coming back? on 10:02 - Aug 17 by Antti_Heinola

never said he did but he made it clear he was happy to do walk away on a fre which was the right call for him but not sue it sends the right message that we drop our trousers and throw money at him again now when things haven't worked out for him
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024