Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Misheard Lyrics 22:17 - Oct 5 with 13763 viewsBrianMcCarthy

I've just found out this minute that one of my favourite bands The Cocteau Twins actually had full lyrics for their songs. I've been listening to them since I was found under a basket on the Nile and I always thought that bar the odd dictionary-proof phrase here and there the gorgeous voice of our Liz breathed heavenly Elfish. Or something. And I used to sing along like. In full nonsense-language!

So, admitting that I don't really listen to lyrics, am I the only one to have the Idiot-Eureka moment years down the line and finally realise that I've been mouthing or singing the wrong gibberish?

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Misheard Lyrics on 22:40 - Oct 5 with 7132 viewsMrSheen

To be fair, "Makes the earth toss and tumble, Sugar Hiccup", the correct version, doesn't make any more sense than "makes the egg-timer tumble", which is what I always took it to be.

I always thought "but it was Four Tops all night" in White Man in Hammersmith Palais was "but it was f*cked up all night".
[Post edited 5 Oct 2016 22:44]
Misheard Lyrics on 22:45 - Oct 5 with 7123 viewshamptonhillhoop

Sorry Brian but weren't all Cocteau twins lyrics complete rubbish?
All about fluffy bunnies and the like. Never really got The 4AD thing, a bit muso and serious for me.
The only one I remember is pearly dew drop drops
As for misheard lyrics there was a line in suede's Saturday Night which went 'sat there in a black chair'
I was convinced the next line was 'pavel scirnicek'
Apparently it was 'office furniture'
Misheard Lyrics on 00:04 - Oct 6 with 7069 viewsTacticalR

From Do Nothing by the Specials:

'Policeman comes and smacks me in the teeth
I don't complain, it's not my function'

Which I misheard as:

'I don't complain, it's not my vulture'

Air hostess clique

Misheard Lyrics on 00:07 - Oct 6 with 7059 viewsNorthernr

There's a repeated line about Matt Connolly in We Built This City on Rock n Roll.
Misheard Lyrics on 00:10 - Oct 6 with 7054 viewsToast_R

Heres one - Wham's Last Christmas

A mate of mine until about 5 years ago, belived the song contained the lyrics "Semi Frontiers" instead of "save me from tears"

Everytime it comes on in December since this revelation, he gets it ripped off.
Misheard Lyrics on 00:13 - Oct 6 with 7050 viewsted_hendrix

I'm sure McCartney say's "farking hell" on Hey Jude just at the end of the build up to the chorus at the end of the record.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Misheard Lyrics on 00:28 - Oct 6 with 7034 viewsted_hendrix

It's "Excuse me while I kiss the sky" not "Excuse me while I kiss this Guy"

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Misheard Lyrics on 00:55 - Oct 6 with 7020 viewsCanadaRanger

I once saw a comedy act over here do fake French to English translations.
Most people at the event knew enough French for it to be very funny...
For example, "Nous avons..." was translated as if it was "Nos Avions..."
Login to get fewer ads

Misheard Lyrics on 01:47 - Oct 6 with 6999 viewsNov77

Mondegreens?

Paul Young:

Every time you go away you take a piece of meat with you

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Misheard Lyrics on 01:56 - Oct 6 with 6990 viewsBoston

Spare him his life and his pork sausages.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Misheard Lyrics on 07:51 - Oct 6 with 6902 viewsizlingtonhoop

I don't know about misheard lyrics, but from the index page lead in, I was shocked to even consider that the Cockney Rejects could be one of your 'favourite bands' Mr M...!
Misheard Lyrics on 08:01 - Oct 6 with 6891 viewsKonk

My eldest brother is a big Springsteen fan, but spent years thinking the line, “Is that you baby, or just a brilliant disguise?” was in fact, “Is that you baby, or just a bridge in disguise?”, despite the song being called “Brilliant disguise” and it being taken from the album, “Brilliant disguise”.

Oh, and a mate of mine always thought Everything but the girl's "And I miss you, like the deserts miss the rain", was "And I miss you, like the desert mystery train", which made the rest of us laugh a lot when he was singing along to it in a pub one time.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2016 8:10]

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Misheard Lyrics on 08:24 - Oct 6 with 6849 viewsToast_R

Queens "One Vision" ends with the line "Fried Chicken" instead of Gimme Gimme Gimme ..One Vision!
Misheard Lyrics on 08:27 - Oct 6 with 6844 viewsWokingR

Daughter used to sing "Let's get drunk on the mini bus" to Iggy Azalea's 'Fancy' instead of "on the mini bar".
Think we've only mentioned it about a 1000 times since and now always sing the wrong words to her.
Misheard Lyrics on 08:34 - Oct 6 with 6835 viewsElHoop

Rudie Can't Fail always went 'chicken brew for breakfast' in my little head.
Misheard Lyrics on 09:02 - Oct 6 with 6793 viewsbrendan

On Kelly Marie's 80's hit It Feels Live I'm in Love, I thought at the time the line "my knees shake, my heart beats like a drum" was "I need a shave, my heart beats like a drum"
Misheard Lyrics on 09:02 - Oct 6 with 6793 viewsMick_S

Cliff Richards' "It's so funny" is actually "P iss off honey."

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

Misheard Lyrics on 09:14 - Oct 6 with 6773 viewsMonahoop

Misheard Lyrics on 00:13 - Oct 6 by ted_hendrix

I'm sure McCartney say's "farking hell" on Hey Jude just at the end of the build up to the chorus at the end of the record.

On the fade out to the Beatles 'Baby your're a rich man' an apparent homage to Brian Epstein, it sounds like the band are singing ' Baby you're a rich fat Jew', when in actual fact the lyrics are really ' Baby your're a rich man too'.

For a long time I thought the Police were singing 'Sue Lawley' when they were really trying to say 'So Lonely'!

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Misheard Lyrics on 09:15 - Oct 6 with 6759 viewsDiscodroids

John Foxx's 'Underpass' was always sung as 'Underpants' back at school.

Also Adam and the Ants 'Stand and deliver' Was 'Stan its Me Liver'

And back in the wilderness years while travelling the ley lines of Perception at the heavenly social at Turnmills my old mucker gavin would sing with great Gusto ;

'open up make room for me, open up and have a cup of tea' To leftfield/ lydons 'open up'

also the Peter Gabriel Track 'Games without Frontiers' I thought it was 'Shes so Obvious' Rather than 'Jeux sans frontieres' and sang so accordingly for ten years with the wrong lyric.

Also Kissing the Pinks ' last Film i ever saw' I thought was 'they were mute but they told lies' instead of they 'wore suits and they wore ties'

i seem to remember Sick boy and Renton arguing over the correct lyrics to Roger Daltreys 'Giving it all away'

good thread bri
[Post edited 6 Oct 2016 9:22]

"...The monkey is never dead, Dealer. The monkey never dies. When you kick him off, he just hides in a corner, waiting his turn."

Misheard Lyrics on 09:16 - Oct 6 with 6761 viewsstevec

Misheard Lyrics on 08:01 - Oct 6 by Konk

My eldest brother is a big Springsteen fan, but spent years thinking the line, “Is that you baby, or just a brilliant disguise?” was in fact, “Is that you baby, or just a bridge in disguise?”, despite the song being called “Brilliant disguise” and it being taken from the album, “Brilliant disguise”.

Oh, and a mate of mine always thought Everything but the girl's "And I miss you, like the deserts miss the rain", was "And I miss you, like the desert mystery train", which made the rest of us laugh a lot when he was singing along to it in a pub one time.
[Post edited 6 Oct 2016 8:10]

You've educated me today, I thought it was ''bridge in disguise''.

Think it's in Queens Under Pressure but I'm sure Freddie Mercury sings something about ''Queens Park Rangers on the floor''
Misheard Lyrics on 09:37 - Oct 6 with 6716 viewsMonahoop

In the Stranglers song 'Peaches' there is a reference to clitares, an item of female French swimwear, but it also sounds like clitoris. JJ Burnell always maintained it was the former when questioned about the word, but the jury is still out on that one. A devious piece of wordplay if ever there was one.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Misheard Lyrics on 09:39 - Oct 6 with 6710 viewsCanadaRanger

Misheard Lyrics on 09:37 - Oct 6 by Monahoop

In the Stranglers song 'Peaches' there is a reference to clitares, an item of female French swimwear, but it also sounds like clitoris. JJ Burnell always maintained it was the former when questioned about the word, but the jury is still out on that one. A devious piece of wordplay if ever there was one.

Truly a cunning linguist...
Misheard Lyrics on 09:41 - Oct 6 with 6709 viewsElHoop

Misheard Lyrics on 09:14 - Oct 6 by Monahoop

On the fade out to the Beatles 'Baby your're a rich man' an apparent homage to Brian Epstein, it sounds like the band are singing ' Baby you're a rich fat Jew', when in actual fact the lyrics are really ' Baby your're a rich man too'.

For a long time I thought the Police were singing 'Sue Lawley' when they were really trying to say 'So Lonely'!

Supposedly when Epstein wrote his autobiography he asked the Beatles for suggestions as to its title, to which Lennon put forward 'Queer Jew'.
Misheard Lyrics on 09:52 - Oct 6 with 6693 viewsbob566

nirvanas "smells like teen spirit" at the end sounds like he's shouting the author Roddy Doyles name out loud.

It is in fact "a denial" but I always thought it was roddy doyle.
Misheard Lyrics on 10:36 - Oct 6 with 6644 viewsN12Hoop

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024