Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc 20:48 - Oct 29 with 5428 viewskarl

What is best free anti virus etc?
Basic windows 10 laptop not really used for much other than a little bit of Open University stuff, web browsing, Now TV and kids play a few online games (real kids stuff as 10 and 6 yr old).
There's no 'adult' stuff (honest!)
Seems to have something infected on it as when you click on a link quite often you get a page open very much like you have on the streaming football sites.
Keep it simple please as i have got very little tech knowledge!
Thanks

Edit. Its a laptop. Told you i was crap at Tech side!
[Post edited 29 Oct 2016 20:50]
Boring pc questions, anti virus etc on 20:52 - Oct 29 with 3754 viewsBklynRanger

AVG seems decent to me Karl. Was recommended many moons ago by the dearly departed Bazwot. Withstands just about all of my animal and vegetable fetish interests.
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 20:54 - Oct 29 with 3745 viewsW13R

I have Avast which is good.

Also install Malwarebytes as this really catches all them nasty bugs as well, which is also free.
Boring pc questions, anti virus etc on 20:55 - Oct 29 with 3742 viewskarl

Boring pc questions, anti virus etc on 20:52 - Oct 29 by BklynRanger

AVG seems decent to me Karl. Was recommended many moons ago by the dearly departed Bazwot. Withstands just about all of my animal and vegetable fetish interests.

Thanks Brook, i'll give it a go
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 20:57 - Oct 29 with 3734 viewskarl

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 20:54 - Oct 29 by W13R

I have Avast which is good.

Also install Malwarebytes as this really catches all them nasty bugs as well, which is also free.

Is that 'Avast Free Antivirus'?
I've had a quick look and it does seem to have the Malwarebytes in the programme list, i'll check its activated
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 21:08 - Oct 29 with 3713 viewsBucksRanger

AVG and Avast are both good products.

Would also suggest Herd Protect. Check it out and download here.

http://www.herdprotect.com/
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 21:11 - Oct 29 with 3702 viewsBasingstokeR

Used Avast / AVG on and off for years now.

Avira is the best rated free AV now I think that I'm thinking about moving over to.
http://www.avira.com/en/free-antivirus-windows

Another thumbs up for Malwarebytes here.
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 21:14 - Oct 29 with 3694 viewsFredManRave

Viruses usually come when you are viewing adult sites, allegedly, yet you say that you don't view them. Have you spoken to the wife?!

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 21:21 - Oct 29 with 3683 viewskarl

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 21:14 - Oct 29 by FredManRave

Viruses usually come when you are viewing adult sites, allegedly, yet you say that you don't view them. Have you spoken to the wife?!

Haha, Fred how dare you!
The free games sites the kids use seem to be full of crap it has to be said so they're getting the blame.
WokingR is probably responsible for the worst adult content on it......

I have just activated Malwarebytes and scanning
Login to get fewer ads

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 21:22 - Oct 29 with 3680 viewskarl

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 21:08 - Oct 29 by BucksRanger

AVG and Avast are both good products.

Would also suggest Herd Protect. Check it out and download here.

http://www.herdprotect.com/

Bucks
Do you have this alongside the others ie. Avast, Malwarebytes and also Herd?
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:30 - Oct 29 with 3630 viewskarl

Got Avast and Malwarebytes running and after a scan everything seems to be working normally again.
I'll maybe go for the Herd Protect thing too
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:35 - Oct 29 with 3621 viewsBucksRanger

Karl, I don't use Avast and AVG any longer. I get Kaspersky for free with my on line bank account and use Herd Protect as a double check on Kaspersky. It occasionally finds one or two questionable items that Kaspersky has overlooked.

Herd Protect is pretty fast and doesn't cause problems so I find it my best fall back option nowadays.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2016 0:59]
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:35 - Oct 29 with 3619 viewskarl

Spoke too soon, windows popping open again
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:40 - Oct 29 with 3605 viewsBucksRanger

Try downloading Herd Protect, run it and see what it can find. You will still have to make a decision on each file it finds but at least you have a very good point at which to make decisions on what to remove.
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:43 - Oct 29 with 3602 viewskarl

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:40 - Oct 29 by BucksRanger

Try downloading Herd Protect, run it and see what it can find. You will still have to make a decision on each file it finds but at least you have a very good point at which to make decisions on what to remove.

Just scanning with it now
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:45 - Oct 29 with 3599 viewsBucksRanger

I'll stick around for awhile in case you have any questions on what it finds.
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:47 - Oct 29 with 3594 viewskarl

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:45 - Oct 29 by BucksRanger

I'll stick around for awhile in case you have any questions on what it finds.

No threats and 100/100 protection report?

The last 'pop ups' are from 'onclickads', got one after that scan
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:51 - Oct 29 with 3583 viewsBucksRanger

So no malware just annoying pop up ads.

You could try downloading CCleaner (Crap Cleaner to its friends) and run to remove the adware.

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

The free version should do the business.
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:51 - Oct 29 with 3583 viewsHoop_Du_Jour

Use FireFox or Chrome for browsing and install AdBlock so you have less chance of picking up one of these things that give you pop uppy stuff, like what you've already got.....
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:53 - Oct 29 with 3580 viewsBucksRanger

Good advice from Hoop du Jour.

https://adblockplus.org/
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 22:54 - Oct 29 with 3578 viewskarl

Thanks for advice lads
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 23:00 - Oct 29 with 3568 viewskarl

adblock installed and so far no pop ups.
Hopefully sorted now, thanks again
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 23:03 - Oct 29 with 3559 viewsBucksRanger

Hope it sorts out your problem. If it doesn't try running CCleaner. It really does clear out a lot of stored crap (cookies, adware etc.) from your internet usage. It's worth doing occasionally even if you don't have a problem as it can help speed things up for you.
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 23:25 - Oct 29 with 3532 viewsthame_hoops

I've used kasperky for the last 8 years or so, £30 a year, never had a problem.

Edit- Not 'free' but it's not failed me
[Post edited 29 Oct 2016 23:28]
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 23:37 - Oct 29 with 3514 viewsBucksRanger

Kaspersky failed me only once over a number of years use but Herd Protect pointed me towards the problem files and once removed all was well again. What Herd Protect does for me, is it occasionally points out a few iffy files that get loaded on my PC that Kaspersky has not picked up. Sometimes the files are fine and I leave them be but at other times I find I'm not sure what they are and I get rid of them to be on the safe side. A save point allows me to roll back if the files removed turn out to have a valid purpose after all. As I said earlier, Herd Protect is just my backup to Kaspersky. Belt and braces approach.
Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 23:38 - Oct 29 with 3513 viewsSimonJames

Boring laptop questions, anti virus etc on 23:25 - Oct 29 by thame_hoops

I've used kasperky for the last 8 years or so, £30 a year, never had a problem.

Edit- Not 'free' but it's not failed me
[Post edited 29 Oct 2016 23:28]

Ditto. All our machines are on a Kaspersky multi-licence.
The problem with "free" software is that the people who code and maintain it have to monetise it in some way otherwise they starve. But keeping security software ahead of the hackers and virus makers is an expensive business. And if you want to stay one step ahead you usually have to pay the talent enough so that they work for you rather than against you.

100% of people who drink water will die.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024