Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column 18:57 - Dec 4 with 7381 viewsNorthernr

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/44427
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 19:20 - Dec 4 with 4722 viewsQPR_John

Excellent
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 19:28 - Dec 4 with 4709 viewseccles

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 19:20 - Dec 4 by QPR_John

Excellent

spot on.
Can somebody who's tech savvy send that to Sky?
All those re-arranged fixtures in the middle of the season? Madness!
It's not even as if we are worth watching at the moment!
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 19:45 - Dec 4 with 4674 viewsClay_Burton

Spot on. Brilliant article.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 19:57 - Dec 4 with 4655 viewsterryb

Superb Clive.

Can you post that to all the other clubs boards on fansnetworks? And to all the not606 boards etc.

Is it possible to attach a page for us, as individuals, to register our support & agreemnet of your letter?

I knew the cost of Sky for pubs was prohibitive, but I hadn't realised it had reached those extortionate amounts!
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 20:55 - Dec 4 with 4567 viewsstevec

Agree entirely with the sentiments, but the football league needs sky way more than they need us.
If they dropped two thirds of EFL games, they'd drop the pay outs by two thirds.

Check out test matches on Sky outside of England, the grounds are practically empty, Sky have done the maths, they don't give a fck.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 21:18 - Dec 4 with 4526 viewsNorthernr

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 20:55 - Dec 4 by stevec

Agree entirely with the sentiments, but the football league needs sky way more than they need us.
If they dropped two thirds of EFL games, they'd drop the pay outs by two thirds.

Check out test matches on Sky outside of England, the grounds are practically empty, Sky have done the maths, they don't give a fck.

I'd have agreed with you on the first point a few years ago but I don't now. They've lost the Champions League, rugby, some Premier League, they've subsequently grasped onto all sorts of old sht - women's netball league most recently - fearful of what BT might take next. They ended up paying a daft amount for Spanish football after BT took the other European leagues.

They've colossally overpaid for the last set of Premier League rights. They can't afford to pay that again, and if it's just BT and Sky bidding next time then it'll come down slightly, but if Google or Apple get involved they'll lose them. And that would be bad for them because Sky Movies is almost completely worthless now, the rights are all elsewhere. Their idea a few years ago to become "the HBO of Europe" with coproduction drama for Sky Atlantic across Italy, Germany, UK and France (with Canal+) has been screwed by the advance of Netflix.

The Football League is now very important to them, which is why they're showing it so much, and therefore killing its attraction in the process. If they drop their bid for it by two thirds, BT will buy it.

This post has been edited by an administrator
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 21:29 - Dec 4 with 4497 viewsLblock

I'm popping back down there next week to see the lads I worked with on the campus

Imagine I printed a few of these off and left them "accidentally" around the swanky new Sports Studios coffee shops etc?

I'm 100% now spurred on to either get a huge reduction or cancel my all in package

Fantastic article bloody well written

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 21:53 - Dec 4 with 4471 viewsPunteR

Ive cancelled sky. I dont think they give a shit.

Brilliant article though. Maybe Ollie can pass it on to his old mates.

Football is changing. Maybe season tickets need to be cheaper?

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Login to get fewer ads

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 22:00 - Dec 4 with 4457 viewsBrightonhoop

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 20:55 - Dec 4 by stevec

Seriously? How is us being away until end of January a good thing?

It's great seeing camera views of empty seats.Playing wolves dressed as traffic wardens.

Great piece Clive. Was 4 years in Italy and now 4 in Spain. Just want to see my Club never on a Thursday. Tw4ts. No chance of flying in over Xmas for the fixtures. Knts. Sky are like the un wanted relative turning up with bot of scabby Cheddar for the Christmas cheeseboard. Co op stilton. And nosh the fcking lot like they bought it.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 22:11 - Dec 4 with 4440 viewswrinklyhoop

Terrific article Clive. I haven't seen the consequences of the creeping encroachment of TV on football spelled out so clearly. This is not going to end well...
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 22:17 - Dec 4 with 4433 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I suggest everyone posts this on their facebook/twice feeds and gets this brilliant article out there.

Loads of football fans must feel the same.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 22:46 - Dec 4 with 4407 viewsBrixtonR

Should go viral.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 23:06 - Dec 4 with 4380 viewsFearless

Good article Clive.
How long have we known each other? How many times have you seen me this season?
How many times have your group travelled together with me, Mick, Andy & Joe this year or last?

I have never been to so few games than this season - no cup games, no midweek games and only 1 away game.
I don't have sky. I don't watch football on tv.
I don't even refer to myself as a real fan anymore when meeting new people (just started a new job, and when football gets mentioned I say "I go to QPR now and again".

I'm not laying all this malaise at sky's door, I just wonder if I've grown bored of football in general.

People used to say " well what else would you do at 3pm on a Saturday?"
The question's now redundant.

The late Steve Edwards (RIP) referred to "other" non-football people as "shopper bastards" who would get in our way as we drove all round the country just to drink, meet mates, talk crap and abuse the current team/manager and on the odd occasion see some amazing results.

Anyway, not really sure what my point is, but good article anyway.

Cheers
[Post edited 4 Dec 2016 23:08]
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 23:08 - Dec 4 with 4375 viewsisawqpratwcity

Nice rant, Clive. I give you two chances of success: Buckley's and None.

Meanwhile, never mind the laudable institution, AKUTRs, here's to LFW!

"There are half a dozen of us working on this site...."

To that team I say:

"1. Thank you,
2. thank you,
3. thank you,
4. thank you,
5. thank you, and
6. thank you."

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 09:24 - Dec 5 with 4103 viewsnadera78

Thursday night is an absolute graveyard for sports. Rugby League has been Sky's 2nd best rating sport for decades now and Friday night gets excellent ratings, so too somehow did Saturday evening despite the kick off times. But 2 years ago Sky insisted on moving 1 weekly match to a Thursday and the ratings are terrible, the attendances even worse. And that's a sport that really can't afford to lose out on gate takings.

IIRC Sky have agreed to announce every Thursday fixture in advance of the season so clubs and fans can prepare for it ahead of time - don't see why they can't do the same for football. Even then it's only tinkering with the problem.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 09:39 - Dec 5 with 4085 viewsNorthernr

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 09:24 - Dec 5 by nadera78

Thursday night is an absolute graveyard for sports. Rugby League has been Sky's 2nd best rating sport for decades now and Friday night gets excellent ratings, so too somehow did Saturday evening despite the kick off times. But 2 years ago Sky insisted on moving 1 weekly match to a Thursday and the ratings are terrible, the attendances even worse. And that's a sport that really can't afford to lose out on gate takings.

IIRC Sky have agreed to announce every Thursday fixture in advance of the season so clubs and fans can prepare for it ahead of time - don't see why they can't do the same for football. Even then it's only tinkering with the problem.

Hull FC don't even open their restaurant/hospitality for the Thursday night games because they can't sell it, costs them tens of thousands every time Sky shifts a home match to a Thursday.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 09:56 - Dec 5 with 4060 viewsElHoop

Sky have also lost the Australian cricket to BT, including the away Ashes series. Clive's article is spot on - the club must know this stuff so surely the League are speaking to Sky? Four of us shared two season tickets last season and we weren't using them half the time at the end of the season. We don't miss it now as you find other things to do - visiting people and that sort of thing. I wouldn't mind going to the odd game, particularly on a Saturday afternoon, but as the article says there are so few of them and by the time that the tickets go on sale we've probably made other arrangements anyway. There's no point whatsoever in thinking about a new and bigger ground in these circumstances. The Football League needs to decide what it is and what it wants to be and then tell everyone.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 13:18 - Dec 5 with 3868 viewsJuzzie

I too cancelled Sky Sports (via my Virgin Media provider) last summer and saved the best part of £50+ a month and not once has anyone tried to persuade me to come back.

Why would they? They are making £billions selling this product abroad. They clearly don't give a fk about fans who go to games and I don't even really think they care that much about UK subscribers.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 13:51 - Dec 5 with 3829 viewsNorthernr

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 13:18 - Dec 5 by Juzzie

I too cancelled Sky Sports (via my Virgin Media provider) last summer and saved the best part of £50+ a month and not once has anyone tried to persuade me to come back.

Why would they? They are making £billions selling this product abroad. They clearly don't give a fk about fans who go to games and I don't even really think they care that much about UK subscribers.

Sky don't make money selling the Premier League abroad, the Premier League does rights deals with foreign broadcasters.
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:07 - Dec 5 with 3807 viewsDesertBoot

I had three Wolves fans just behind me as I walked past White City station at around 7.15pm and heard one of them say, "Where are all the QPR fans?".

Wish I could be like David Watts

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:39 - Dec 5 with 3778 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Perhaps someone can enlighten me before I consider wading through an article of that length, has Clive pointed the finger of blame at any of those who subscribe to top-up channels?

As a real 'victim' of erratically scheduled kick-off times, I know I'm not the problem because I won't, nor can conceive of a time, when I'd allow Murdoch products into the house. Admittedly that's for political reasons, but I often draw a parallel with Scousers; they all want The Sun banned and yet, they see no irony at having Sky in their living rooms!

So, if you don't like Thursday night games, 12pms on a Sunday or the fact that Sky has played an unhealthy role in the demise of football, then either unsubscribe or stop moaning about it.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 15:17 - Dec 5 with 3746 viewsNorthernr

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 14:39 - Dec 5 by PlanetHonneywood

Perhaps someone can enlighten me before I consider wading through an article of that length, has Clive pointed the finger of blame at any of those who subscribe to top-up channels?

As a real 'victim' of erratically scheduled kick-off times, I know I'm not the problem because I won't, nor can conceive of a time, when I'd allow Murdoch products into the house. Admittedly that's for political reasons, but I often draw a parallel with Scousers; they all want The Sun banned and yet, they see no irony at having Sky in their living rooms!

So, if you don't like Thursday night games, 12pms on a Sunday or the fact that Sky has played an unhealthy role in the demise of football, then either unsubscribe or stop moaning about it.

Ha ha, it's not one for you in that case 😅
An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 16:08 - Dec 5 with 3705 viewsPlanetHonneywood

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 15:17 - Dec 5 by Northernr

Ha ha, it's not one for you in that case 😅

In that case, I'll expect to see the points raised in your next missive then.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 19:06 - Dec 5 with 3540 viewsjohncharles

Totally agree with the whole article Clive. My thoughts entirely. Perhaps the whole thing is about to implode. Cancelled SKY contracts, cancelled season tickets and overwhelming apathy.

Strong and stable my arse.

An open letter to our Sky overlords — Column on 19:15 - Dec 5 with 3533 viewsShotKneesHoop

It's the FA, Football League etc who are really to blame, because they just can't say no to Sky.

Sky send an email to Football league. "Let us televise QPR versus Rotherham on any re-arranged Thursday, 8.00 pm kick off, when there's a blizzard forecast, a train strike confirmed, a power cut, and a shortage of chips and real ale in the area".

That's just the perfect timing for the football authorities to drop their pants and say "delighted to agree with your request, and by the way, would you like to be a junior football coach as well and you can give us all a good buggering on top?".

To stop all this crap, firstly football has to say - "enough is enough" to rearranged out of whack games mid week with late kick offs and 200 mile plus round trip travelling; and then fans will stop paying Sky to watch shyte like this with half empty stadiums and no atmosphere.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2016 22:11]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024