Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" 20:40 - Jan 4 with 3208 viewsGloryHunter

Forgive me if I'm stupid (or if this is a Spackman), but in the old 1-to-11 shirt days didn't we used to have a number 10 and a number 8 playing behind the centre forward number 9? Wouldn't two number 10s imply two inside-left players? Or is this just another Ollie'ism?
[Post edited 4 Jan 2018 20:41]
Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 20:50 - Jan 4 with 3174 viewsTonto

I would say Ollie has sacked himself after this appalling use of jargon

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Ollie's idea of playing two on 20:56 - Jan 4 with 3149 viewscolinallcars

My fading memory of the old W formation recalls the number 10 being the skillful deep lying forward and the number 8 being more tenacious. I don'tknow why this impression stays with me except that left footed players seem to be better ball players - Stan, Curry, Rodney etc.
Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 21:19 - Jan 4 with 3080 viewsDylanP

In the QPR context, it is pretty clear what is meant by "the number 10 position.' Our greatest playmakers and greatest scorers have all been number 10s: Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, Simon Stainrod, Roy Wegerly, Clive Allen, Kevin Gallen, Adel Taarabt.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 21:43 - Jan 4 with 3017 viewscolinallcars

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 21:19 - Jan 4 by DylanP

In the QPR context, it is pretty clear what is meant by "the number 10 position.' Our greatest playmakers and greatest scorers have all been number 10s: Rodney Marsh, Stan Bowles, Simon Stainrod, Roy Wegerly, Clive Allen, Kevin Gallen, Adel Taarabt.

D'you know, I'm sure I saw Adel in a number 7 shirt.......
Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 21:45 - Jan 4 with 3011 viewsflynnbo

John Byrne?
Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 22:02 - Jan 4 with 2961 viewsShotKneesHoop

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 21:19 - Jan 4 by DylanP

Number 10 is the coveted Hoops shirt, reserved only for the R's greatest strikers - note that Adel was mostly wearing a number 7 shirt.

Number 10 shirts should be taken out of circulation until someone earns the right to wear it, by banging in goals regularly again. However, Smyth can continue wearing the number 10 shirt as long as he scores in every game. He should give it back if he fails to score in a game.

Apart from Charlie, no one has been fit to wear that Number 10 shirt since Gallen had it.

I would also have been happy for Phil Parkes to have the number 10 shirt in the 70's as he was the best keeper the R's have ever had.

I have a favourite number 10 QPR shirt with Gallen's name and 10 on the back, with the words of the "Magic Hat" song printed on the front. I shall wear that in bed tonight in honour of this thread.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 08:05 - Jan 5 with 2681 viewsDorse

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 22:02 - Jan 4 by ShotKneesHoop

Number 10 is the coveted Hoops shirt, reserved only for the R's greatest strikers - note that Adel was mostly wearing a number 7 shirt.

Number 10 shirts should be taken out of circulation until someone earns the right to wear it, by banging in goals regularly again. However, Smyth can continue wearing the number 10 shirt as long as he scores in every game. He should give it back if he fails to score in a game.

Apart from Charlie, no one has been fit to wear that Number 10 shirt since Gallen had it.

I would also have been happy for Phil Parkes to have the number 10 shirt in the 70's as he was the best keeper the R's have ever had.

I have a favourite number 10 QPR shirt with Gallen's name and 10 on the back, with the words of the "Magic Hat" song printed on the front. I shall wear that in bed tonight in honour of this thread.

I think Ollie is being naive by playing two number 10s. Modern football requires more tactical flexibility. Certainly, two numbers 10s is fine in attack but they should become four number 5s in defence or one number 20 if we need a target man.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 08:09 - Jan 5 with 2672 viewssmegma

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 08:05 - Jan 5 by Dorse

I think Ollie is being naive by playing two number 10s. Modern football requires more tactical flexibility. Certainly, two numbers 10s is fine in attack but they should become four number 5s in defence or one number 20 if we need a target man.

When did the 'number 10 position' come into use ?? Considering clubs have number 45s etc will we be saying 'he plays in the number 45 position' in years to come??

Therefore this number 10 malarkey is a load of b0llocks. How about saying forward or even deep lying forward?? Number 10 is what's on the back of a shirt.
Login to get fewer ads

Ollie's idea of playing two on 08:12 - Jan 5 with 2664 viewsGloryHunter

OK, who have been the great QPR no. 8s then? I'll start off with Les Allen.
Ollie's idea of playing two on 08:15 - Jan 5 with 2661 viewsPommyhoop

Ollie's idea of playing two on 08:12 - Jan 5 by GloryHunter

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Ollie's idea of playing two on 08:20 - Jan 5 with 2654 viewsPommyhoop

Think he was num 8 .

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 08:22 - Jan 5 with 2647 viewsPunteR

SWP was a number 2

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 09:04 - Jan 5 with 2580 viewstoboboly

Akos wore 10, he deserved it.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Ollie's idea of playing two on 09:06 - Jan 5 with 2571 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Gerry
Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 09:13 - Jan 5 with 2559 views00calben

Think he means like Ch****a played last season, i.e 3 at the back, 4 across midfield then 2 behind a main striker rather than 3 fully up top.

Hazard and Pedro/Willian played slightly withdrawn from Costa.

You need seriously athletic wingbacks to play that formation. Moses and Alonso cover some ground. Not sure we have that. Pav probably is but - as much as i like him - Bidwell is a left back not a wing-back / winger.
Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 09:37 - Jan 5 with 2518 viewsGroveR

Pretty sure Charlie was #9, as was Les.

The #9 shirt was always synonymous with a bit of a hard bàstard striker, or at least the "big man" in a "big man small man" partnership up front (eg Mark Bright of "Bright & Wright").

The Geordies are particularly fond of the #9. Pretty sure Les mentions in his autobiography they took it off him to give to Shearer and he thought they were taking the pìss.
Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 09:51 - Jan 5 with 2494 viewsRBlock

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 09:13 - Jan 5 by 00calben

Think he means like Ch****a played last season, i.e 3 at the back, 4 across midfield then 2 behind a main striker rather than 3 fully up top.

You need seriously athletic wingbacks to play that formation. Moses and Alonso cover some ground. Not sure we have that. Pav probably is but - as much as i like him - Bidwell is a left back not a wing-back / winger.

Agree with this. I really like Bidwell and think he is a quality LB, but for me he does look like he needs a winger to overlap. When he has somebody else out wide to play with he gets in much more effective crossing positions. If not, he slings them in from deep to limited effect. To he honest we haven't got the option of replacing him, so as far as I can see it's him or Manning there.
Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 10:09 - Jan 5 with 2461 viewsdaveB

I don't think it will be a huge change to the system, just means we'll do as we have done the last few games and play either Smyth, Bright or possibly Eze off the main striker with Freeman given licence to get forward as well from midfield
Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 10:10 - Jan 5 with 2461 viewsDorse

If Hazard and Pedro/Willian played slightly withdrawn from Costa, they should cut down on the caffeine.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 11:32 - Jan 5 with 2378 viewsDanVanDyke

I think it relates to the continental influence on the game. 10 in Italy is the 'fantasista', the ball playing creative player behind the main striker, who is 9.

The Geordies do covet the 9 in the way we do the no. 10 shirt. That is why at my wedding to a Geordie, the tables were assigned famous 9's and 10's. I had Bowles, Wegerle, Stainrod, Marsh and she had MacDonald, Shearer etc. Les was the top table and an anomaly as he wore 10 for them (Shearer took 9 away from him) and 9 for us.

In my speech I had to point out to a room of Northerners (including all my family), just how good Weggers was!
Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 12:07 - Jan 5 with 2339 viewsEsox_Lucius

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 09:51 - Jan 5 by RBlock

Agree with this. I really like Bidwell and think he is a quality LB, but for me he does look like he needs a winger to overlap. When he has somebody else out wide to play with he gets in much more effective crossing positions. If not, he slings them in from deep to limited effect. To he honest we haven't got the option of replacing him, so as far as I can see it's him or Manning there.

As sacrilegious as this sounds, the Armand Traoré of his arrival here would have been perfect for that role; he was rapid quick, great crosser of ball and had an eye for a through ball. What we could do without is his mentality that every injury was going to be a career ending one and his reluctance to carry on with even the slightest niggle. Bidwell is a better defender but Armand was a lot less likely to get turned by an opponent. AT was about 80% of what we need in the current team.

The grass is always greener.

Ollie's idea of playing two "number 10s" on 12:13 - Jan 5 with 2328 viewssimmo

Agree this is what he means but it doesn't need 4 in midfield, you can play the same thing with wing backs rather than midfielders and that's what we've been playing this season anyway. I think the difference is he wants another number 10 pushed up next to Freeman rather than a 2nd striker.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024