Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Smyth 17:43 - Feb 17 with 12161 viewsconnell10

That was without doubt the best cross I’ve seen at loftus road for many a year!! The boy looks class!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Smyth on 09:20 - Feb 18 with 2590 viewsEsox_Lucius

I really hope he gets a chance to give JT a working over when we play Villa. By all accounts JT looked well past it yesterday and that was down to slick movement and pace all around him which he can no longer deal with. The old adage of "if you can't catch them, you can't kick them".

The grass is always greener.

Smyth on 09:39 - Feb 18 with 2541 viewsGloucs_R

Poor Manning must be looking at this and thinking, where did it go wrong... This was me last season.

Was BOS on the bench yesterday?

Poll: Are we staying up?

Smyth on 10:09 - Feb 18 with 2477 viewsenfieldargh

Loved the way again as against Cardiff at corners he got stuck into their defenders who were pushing and shoving him. Always trying to get infront ofthe keeper and cause as much mayhem as big Smith

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Smyth on 10:20 - Feb 18 with 2451 viewsFDC

Smyth on 19:22 - Feb 17 by qprd

Agreed

i hate to pile on washington b/c he does work hard, but a lot of his work rate is unintelligent.... he doesn't seem to make a lot of runs behind the defence either

smyth kept making a similar, but very intelligent run where he would come short for a pass with his back to goal... the defender would follow him and then smyth would turn around and sprint behind him into space... kind of like an nfl wide receiver who stops and then continues running down the field

i can't recall CW ever making a run like that

smyth also is like a hyperactive terrier who gives everyone else a bit of extra energy... he just needs to hit the gym asap b/c he's not going to survive the championship with his diminutive frame

smyth kept making a similar, but very intelligent run where he would come short for a pass with his back to goal... the defender would follow him and then smyth would turn around and sprint behind him into space... kind of like an nfl wide receiver who stops and then continues running down the field

He spoke about exactly this in his interview on the loftcast -- definitely something he's been coached to do.
Smyth on 12:52 - Feb 18 with 2312 viewsrsonist

Smyth on 21:56 - Feb 17 by DWQPR

The boy has got two good feet as well and spots a pass quick. Also for me Eze is another one that has landed on our laps. You can just tell that he has class. Loved the nutmeg when in a tight position, Adelesque that was. These two will start to get the crowds coming back I hope.

That nutmeg was even in the same spot as Adel on Joe Allen if I recall correctly...

Still, Eze reminds me a bit more of Ravel - a real natural stroller caressing the ball around. They don't grow on trees! Maybe a little too strolly perhaps - I wouldn't want him chasing defenders down all game but I thought he could have got himself in better positions to receive the ball a couple of times.

Smyth very very good but I don't think it's unreasonable to have expected the "first" team to have stretched opposition as poor as that a lot more than they did before he came on. And Ollie should be fining players for these aimless predictable potshots (blasted into a defender more often than not) from 20+ yards out.
Smyth on 14:01 - Feb 18 with 2216 viewsBushRanger82

Young Smyth could have put it on a six pence!
Great cross, met well by Matt, not that it wouldn't have been criminal had he missed, nice way to put a game to bed once and for all.
Smyth on 14:28 - Feb 18 with 2159 viewscolinallcars

It was exactly the right sort of cross for Smith. The slower, floaty crosses are not so good for Smith as he doesn't really use his neck muscles to propel the ball forward. With yesterday's cross the pace was already on the ball.
Smyth on 16:31 - Feb 18 with 2008 viewsDorse

Smyth (and Chair, Oteh, Eze) makes me feel like something is beginning to happen at the club.

'What do we want? We don't know! When do we want it? Now!'

Login to get fewer ads

Smyth on 17:15 - Feb 18 with 1936 viewsbaz_qpr

Smyth looks a premiership class player to me, what differentiates him is the footballing intelligence of his movement and decision making. It’s hard not to get too excited but from the game and a half I’ve seen just looks on a different level, CW tries hard but this kid has to be starting ahead of him now.
Smyth on 17:29 - Feb 18 with 1907 viewsTacticalR

Smyth on 17:15 - Feb 18 by baz_qpr

Smyth looks a premiership class player to me, what differentiates him is the footballing intelligence of his movement and decision making. It’s hard not to get too excited but from the game and a half I’ve seen just looks on a different level, CW tries hard but this kid has to be starting ahead of him now.

Agree with all that plus he's like a greyhound as he changes direction at speed.

Air hostess clique

Smyth on 19:31 - Feb 18 with 1770 viewsqprd

Smyth on 12:52 - Feb 18 by rsonist

That nutmeg was even in the same spot as Adel on Joe Allen if I recall correctly...

Still, Eze reminds me a bit more of Ravel - a real natural stroller caressing the ball around. They don't grow on trees! Maybe a little too strolly perhaps - I wouldn't want him chasing defenders down all game but I thought he could have got himself in better positions to receive the ball a couple of times.

Smyth very very good but I don't think it's unreasonable to have expected the "first" team to have stretched opposition as poor as that a lot more than they did before he came on. And Ollie should be fining players for these aimless predictable potshots (blasted into a defender more often than not) from 20+ yards out.

Eze is very good on the ball, but he needs to figure out how to get on the ball more. He’s not blessed w speed so he’s going to need to develop the off-the-ball movement aspect of his game

Chair, by contrast, is really really good at getting on the ball
Smyth on 21:38 - Feb 18 with 1649 viewsderbyhoop

Smyth has been good in both of his appearances. But we still shouldn't be going overboard at this stage.
Yesterday was a 25 minute cameo against a poor team down to 10 men, and who we had dominated from start to finish. He injected pace into our attacking threats. He's clearly not going to allow himself to get bullied by bigger, experienced defenders. A good start, a lot of promise but let's not go OTT.

HIS BIG asset is his pace. There is a danger that if he bulks up inn the gym hell lose something else..

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Smyth on 21:53 - Feb 18 with 1607 viewsozexile

I remember seeing Robbie Keane play against us for Wolves in the cup many years ago. Smyth yesterday was very similar. Pace, movement and a constant handful.
Smyth on 21:59 - Feb 18 with 1602 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Smyth on 21:38 - Feb 18 by derbyhoop

Smyth has been good in both of his appearances. But we still shouldn't be going overboard at this stage.
Yesterday was a 25 minute cameo against a poor team down to 10 men, and who we had dominated from start to finish. He injected pace into our attacking threats. He's clearly not going to allow himself to get bullied by bigger, experienced defenders. A good start, a lot of promise but let's not go OTT.

HIS BIG asset is his pace. There is a danger that if he bulks up inn the gym hell lose something else..

His touch also deserves mention.

I think a few of us underestimate CW's contribution yesterday too.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2018 22:00]

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Smyth on 22:10 - Feb 18 with 1573 viewsLongsufferingR

Smyth on 21:59 - Feb 18 by CliveWilsonSaid

Hmm. I was one of those who stuck with Washington for a long long time believing he would come good. Personally I thought his contribution yesterday was zero.
Smyth on 22:17 - Feb 18 with 1557 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Smyth on 22:10 - Feb 18 by LongsufferingR

Hmm. I was one of those who stuck with Washington for a long long time believing he would come good. Personally I thought his contribution yesterday was zero.

Zero? Really?

Smyth on 22:21 - Feb 18 with 1543 viewsLongsufferingR

Smyth on 22:17 - Feb 18 by CliveWilsonSaid

Zero? Really?

Sorry to say so but yes. He ran around a lot but to no effect. Did his usual trick of plucking a long pass out of the air then losing the ball immediately, no connection with Smith, no anticipation of where the ball is likely to be, no effective shots, nothing really.
Smyth on 22:26 - Feb 18 with 1515 viewsTacticalR

Smyth on 21:38 - Feb 18 by derbyhoop

But is he the one who was promised?

Air hostess clique

Smyth on 22:33 - Feb 18 with 1497 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Smyth on 22:21 - Feb 18 by LongsufferingR

Sorry to say so but yes. He ran around a lot but to no effect. Did his usual trick of plucking a long pass out of the air then losing the ball immediately, no connection with Smith, no anticipation of where the ball is likely to be, no effective shots, nothing really.

I thought it was an unselfish performance.

Smyth on 22:33 - Feb 18 with 1495 views2Thomas2Bowles

Smyth on 21:59 - Feb 18 by CliveWilsonSaid

HE COME ON TO THE PITCH-- HE LEFT THE PITCH.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Smyth on 22:50 - Feb 18 with 1457 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

"HE LEFT THE PITCH"

82 minutes later and in good fitness and we won.

Smyth on 23:01 - Feb 18 with 1431 views2Thomas2Bowles

Smyth on 22:50 - Feb 18 by CliveWilsonSaid

"HE LEFT THE PITCH"

82 minutes later and in good fitness and we won.

Honestly, it was like we only had 10 players till he went off.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Smyth on 23:51 - Feb 18 with 1378 viewsBrianMcCarthy

This thread is about Smyth, so let's please leave Washington and others to other threads.

Personally , I'm delighted to hear from those at it about his movement and touch, though I'm not utterly convinced that he saw Smith before pinging in that lovely cross.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Smyth on 00:02 - Feb 19 with 1357 viewsconnell10

Smyth on 23:51 - Feb 18 by BrianMcCarthy

This thread is about Smyth, so let's please leave Washington and others to other threads.

Personally , I'm delighted to hear from those at it about his movement and touch, though I'm not utterly convinced that he saw Smith before pinging in that lovely cross.

Brian ive watched the goal a few times and just before he crossed the ball he has a quickest of glances up, yes i think you will find he spotted Smith and put in a perfect cross! It was brilliant.

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Smyth on 00:19 - Feb 19 with 1343 viewsTacticalR

Smyth on 23:51 - Feb 18 by BrianMcCarthy

Obviously impossible to know what he could or could not see, or whether he intended to put it on Smith's head, but he could probably see that we had extra men heading towards the far post, so sending the cross towards the far post was the best bet. Probably.

It was right at the end of the game, so there were gaps opening up, players beginning to be unmarked on counter-attacks, and you didn't necessarily have to hit a perfect ball as long you could get it into the right area.

Air hostess clique

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024